• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONCACAF Gold Cup | 7-26 July 2015 | The Ecstasy of Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
The saddest part for the USA is that the youth team sucks.

Mexico is out winning the Olympics, kicking ass at pan American games...where's team USA?

Retire the current team and there's nobody in the wings waiting to play

That's discouraging. No real prospects for the future of USMNT? I guess our decent into mediocrity is imminent.

Mexico has enough players for three different tournaments, the US can't find 20 kids that can compete with more island nations?
We thought we could handle Copa America and Copa Oro with two different teams and got our asses handed to us getting out in the group stage of the first one because we had the genius idea of taking our B Team to the tougher more competitive South American tournament.

The Pan American team is an U22 team. Most wouldn't even be considered in the flagship team so that's an entirely different matter.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Women's USA team did not go to Panamericanos becuase they choose the world cup that they ended wining

Men's team is another story....
The pan american men football games are played by u22 squads that will participate in Olympic qualification. No reason the US couldn't have sent some.

Though I'm not sure that's their fault. Mexico participated because we won the 2011 games, and Canada is host country.

The Pan American team is an U22 team. Most wouldn't even be considered in the flagship team so that's an entirely different matter.

That's what I'm saying. Mexico has a very solid youth team. World champions and now maybe panamerican champions. They're in line to replace the current failed senior team.

How's the under 23 usa team doing? They're next in line, where are the trophies?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
That's what I'm saying. Mexico has a very solid youth team. World champions and now maybe panamerican champions. They're in line to replace the current failed senior team.

How's the under 23 usa team doing? They're next in line, where are the trophies?
They got third place in the Toulon tournament in May. Mexico got fifth in an upset by Morocco.

Nesotenso

The US U23 squad isn't the best but I am not really worried about the US youth system. The U23 squad should be supplemented by the U20 team which has more talented prospects and we'll see how they do in Olympics qualification. The biggest reason why I am not down on US youth talent is because of the rise of MLS academies and USL 2 teams. The current U20 was the first time in a long time where the majority of guys already had professional contracts.

xbhaskarx

Awesome, who cares about consisitency or accountability....

Doug McIntyre @DougMacESPN

Sunil Gulati confirms that Klinsmann's job isn't in jeopardy, and won't be even if #usmnt loses Confederations Cup playoff in Oct.

RELAYER

Banned
Klinsman fucked up when he killed Donovan.

The ghost of Donovan will be looking down upon the pitch in every match the US plays until Klinsman is gone.

NoRéN

Awesome, who cares about consisitency or accountability....

Doug McIntyre @DougMacESPN

Sunil Gulati confirms that Klinsmann's job isn't in jeopardy, and won't be even if #usmnt loses Confederations Cup playoff in Oct.
Fucking great.

Although, not surprising.

Eila

Mexico hasn't had the best summer:
The generation that were runners-up in the past u-17 world cup ended up going out in group stage in this year's u-20 world cup.
Out in group stage in the Copa America
Final (so far) in the Pan American Games
Final (so far) in the Gold cup
2015 u-17 world cup yet to be played

FuturusX

Fromt the above article:

• Bradley was sloppy and poor in this tournament, as was most everybody else. In general, the longer Klinsmann's camps are, the more sapped and sloppy all the players -- but Bradley especially -- tend to look. With shorter camps, like those we see in World Cup qualifying or most friendlies, the US tend to perform with more energy.

I believe this is because "fitness training", unlike honing individual skills or tactical concepts, has diminishing returns.

I agree with this.

I didn't watch the USA v. Panama game, I just read the recap via GAF. Did we really get outshot 25 to 5???? By Panama???

This Gold Cup without a doubt was an undeniable disaster. We were outshot 4 out of 6 games and we only played one real good game and we still lost that game. Everyone is to blame from players to coach. This tournament was a huge step backward.

NoRéN

I didn't watch the USA v. Panama game, I just read the recap via GAF. Did we really get outshot 25 to 5???? By Panama???

This Gold Cup without a doubt was an undeniable disaster. We were outshot 4 out of 6 games and we only played one real good game and we still lost that game. Everyone is to blame from players to coach. This tournament was a huge step backward.

from the article a few posts up:

• Take out the Cuba win, and the US were out-shot 85-47 in this Gold Cup. While many point to the the second half against Jamaica as a bright spot, with the US out-shooting the Reggae Boyz 15-4 over that 45-minute stretch, two things need to be noted.

First: Jamaica outshot us 6-5 in the first half, and headed into the break up 2-0.

Second: Because they were up 2-0, they bunkered in the second half, inviting us forward and trying to limit not our shooting attemtps, but rather the quality of our shooting attempts. It largely worked, with the bulk of the best US chances in that second half coming off of rebounds rather than manufactured attempts.
Take out the Cuba win, and the US were out-shot 85-47 in this Gold Cup
the US were out-shot 85-47 in this Gold Cup
the US were out-shot 85-47
the US were out-shot

The saddest part for the USA is that the youth team sucks.

Mexico is out winning the Olympics, kicking ass at pan American games...where's team USA?

Retire the current team and there's nobody in the wings waiting to play

To be honest Mexico will soon have problems because of so many foreign players in our league. As soon as a foreign player gets its naturalized letter which makes them mexican, the team is at the same time getting a new foreign player in the team.

149 players not born in Mexico.

Hell, Tijuana's team "Xolos" have like 12 players not born in Mexico.

It will become a problem for Mexico national team in the short-medium term.

We were outshot 92-44 in four games in Brazil. That is by far the worst ratio for the USMNT in any of the last seven World Cups, including 1990 when we sent what was essentially a team of amateurs.

Double Damn

This really is a systemic problem with the USMNT under Klinsmann. It can't be brushed off as some random fluke, especially when we're still seeing the same thing in the Gold Cup against lesser opponents.

Blue Lou

I hope Jamaica win seeing as they played in the qualifying rounds (Caribbean Cup). Canada, Mexico, USA have such an advantage. Sorry, MexicanGaf. :)

Before the Gold Cup competition began, I didn't think they had a chance of winning. Now there's a slim chance.

I'm wondering how much of an affect, Mexico's extra hour of match-time will have (two x extra-times in previous rounds) on their stamina.

SalvaPot

I hope Jamaica can make more history later tonight, but I think everything is on Mexico's side.

maxresdefault.jpg

alterno69

Banned
it's funny how sports analysts here in Mexico praise the US national team and their project all the time and keep shitting on the mexican league and the heads at the mexican federation.

The US seem like are going through a dry spell in terms of talent after what was probably their best run, with the retirement of Donovan, Mexico seems to have a "surplus" of talent, at least it looks like that but sadly our manager is an idiot who lucked out and won a title with a big club and as flavor of the moment was then called in to save the NT from the world class team of New Zealand, anyone could've won those games but somehow Herrera was a hero for doing it.

Seems clear to me that mexican players have a problem with managers staying too long at the helm, gold cup tends to highlight this and end many managers career at the NT when the underperform against what everyone in Mexico considers weak teams.

I think the US is on the right track, and Mexico always masks their leaders mistakes cause they usually have a decent if mediocre WC and then the cycle resets and we're back to where we were 4 years ago.

Every cycle is exactly the same.

v1lla21

I told myself i wasn't going to watch today's game, yet here I am waiting for my gf to get out of work so we can go to the store to make Carne asada :p I'm mostly doing it for America though :p

NoRéN

it's funny how sports analysts here in Mexico praise the US national team and their project all the time and keep shitting on the mexican league and the heads at the mexican federation.

The US seem like are going through a dry spell in terms of talent after what was probably their best run, with the retirement of Donovan, Mexico seems to have a "surplus" of talent, at least it looks like that but sadly our manager is an idiot who lucked out and won a title with a big club and as flavor of the moment was then called in to save the NT from the world class team of New Zealand, anyone could've won those games but somehow Herrera was a hero for doing it.

Seems clear to me that mexican players have a problem with managers staying too long at the helm, gold cup tends to highlight this and end many managers career at the NT when the underperform against what everyone in Mexico considers weak teams.

I think the US is on the right track, and Mexico always masks their leaders mistakes cause they usually have a decent if mediocre WC and then the cycle resets and we're back to where we were 4 years ago.

Every cycle is exactly the same.

Piojo's problem is simple: He has not gone Super Saiyan yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom