• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONCACAF Gold Cup | 7-26 July 2015 | The Ecstasy of Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean Puebla? Because we lost that shit 4-2. Lol. I gotta start working on the Latin America Futbol thread. I think mods would be cool with it.
I think that's a splendid idea. USA has their thread and the other football threads get monopolized by the European leagues. If we can't get a Liga MX thread at the very least we need a Latin American one.

And on that note: GO TIGRES at this Libertadores final!

alterno69

Banned
I guess Rose Bowl is a way to meet both teams half way, play it in the US but don't take it to a town with no mexicans or something, it's bullshit that it was decided as a one game and on US soil, those greedy mexican federation fucks.

NoRéN

I avoid the Rose Bowl. Way too much of a hassle to leave.

Should be a 2 game series but what's done is done.

I can't recall the last time my city's main street came to a standstill due to Mexico fans celebrating.

I guess Rose Bowl is a way to meet both teams half way, play it in the US but don't take it to a town with no mexicans or something, it's bullshit that it was decided as a one game and on US soil, those greedy mexican federation fucks.

IIRC CONCACAF picked the venue and format.

A two-legged format would make to much sense it seems.

SalvaPot

Was there ever a reason given for it being a single game playoff?

Its a FIFA sanctioned date, other than that, no. Before the winner of the Gold Cup closer to the confederation cup got the ticket automatically, now its a playoff between the two winners before it. If the US had won this years Gold Cup, no play-off would be necessary.

And oh yeah...

Congrats Mexico for returning to the CONCACAF throne, corrupt as it may be.

We had a good run while it lasted. Looks like we still have another 3 years in the wilderness under Jurgen.

It should be played on a field that's half in Tijuana half in San Diego

Border_04c0cd_988521.jpg

I'd much prefer a home and home with one game in Columbus and the other in the Azteca for the playoff. But CONCACAF gonna CONCACAF

That game in the Rose Bowl will be:

80% Mexican Supporters
10% Fickle US Supporters that will switch allegiances at the first Mexico goal
7% Casuals
3% Diehard US Supporters

I'd much prefer a home and home with one game in Columbus and the other in the Azteca for the playoff. But CONCACAF gonna CONCACAF

That game in the Rose Bowl will be:

80% Mexican Supporters
10% Fickle US Supporters that will switch allegiances at the first Mexico goal
7% Casuals
3% Diehard US Supporters

22% flying water bottles

alterno69

Banned
Aparently el Piojo hit a comentator while they were in the airport waiting to board the flight back to Mexico, it has exploded this morning in twitter mainly. Looks like he might be getting the axe if true.

Arol

I'm tentatively going to the October game but it depends on if I can convince anyone else of going with me.

Especially if I'm going to drink.

Blue Lou

I don't think CONCACAF could have won either way.

Now that there's one game in LA, Americans are complaining that the Mexican fans will be the majority. If there were two legs, people would have found something to complain about.

The one thing I don't like is why it's scheduled so soon after the Gold Cup. I'd have preferred to have seen it be played as late as 2017 - closer to the Confederations Cup competition. It's a strange situation where there are two CONCACAF competitions, and CONCACAF have organised the qualification for the 2017 competition before the 2016 'Copa America' qualification for the Caribbean teams has been announced.

v1lla21

Aparently el Piojo hit a comentator while they were in the airport waiting to board the flight back to Mexico, it has exploded this morning in twitter mainly. Looks like he might be getting the axe if true.
Yup I've been seeing it all over twitter too. I would hit martinoli if I were Piojo too sheeiiit.

Yup I've been seeing it all over twitter too. I would hit martinoli if I were Piojo too sheeiiit.
Think about it for a second. You just won a cup and assured yourself at least another year as coach. You're earning millions and millions of dollars a year in salary and sponsorships thanks to this jobs.

Would you really risk everything for a coward punch to the back of the head of a TV commentator? It's easy for you to say you would right now, but you're not Piojo.

I'd love to see Klinsman hitting Bob Costas. Before his arm finished its swing they'd fire his ass. FMF doesn't have the guts to sack him over this. Especially since it's a TV Azteca guy. If it was Televisa he'd never find another job, not that that would ever happen since they are the biggest supporters, of course.

Good! Now we can get rid of this asshole and remove anything that remotely smells like America FC crap from the NT. Apparently the daughter started the whole thing, and he just went and punched the guy. He hasn't changed from his player days.

Watching them (America FC) play yesterday looked painfully similar to the NT performance these two past tournaments, and the end score is nothing to be surprised. No wonder why el piojo changed the strategy and the starting 11 for the final game.

brau

http://www.record.com.mx/articulo/noticias/4284656/futbol+noticias-del-tri/miguel-herrera-me-golpeo--martinoli

And literally 100 other sources you can easily find yourself since it's all over Twitter. Maybe even a couple in English!

hmm... so what is this all about? this guy knew he was gonna get into a fight with him and still went to him? i don't get it. They have a previous issue going on?

Sorry, but i have not been following any of this outside of the scores of the games :p

Calvero

Banned
Good! Now we can get rid of this asshole and remove anything that remotely smells like America FC crap from the NT. Apparently the daughter started the whole thing, and he just went and punched the guy. He hasn't changed from his player days.

Watching them (America FC) play yesterday looked painfully similar to the NT performance these two past tournaments, and the end score is nothing to be surprised. No wonder why el piojo changed the strategy and the starting 11 for the final game.

Every fiasco with El Piojo is the most annoying shit ever and the way his daughter promotes herself through her father for attention bothers me in such an irrational way.

Calvero

Banned

haha i think, if anything, this was due to suspensions and injuries

NoRéN

Any gaffers want to go to it? I'm thinking I might.
I kinda want to but the Rose Bowl is such a hassle to escape from after a game. Like, parking should be free considering the disorganized mess it becomes after the game.

Now that there's one game in LA, Americans are complaining that the Mexican fans will be the majority. If there were two legs, people would have found something to complain about.

The one thing I don't like is why it's scheduled so soon after the Gold Cup. I'd have preferred to have seen it be played as late as 2017 - closer to the Confederations Cup competition. It's a strange situation where there are two CONCACAF competitions, and CONCACAF have organised the qualification for the 2017 competition before the 2016 'Copa America' qualification for the Caribbean teams has been announced.
The closest to making all fans happy would have been a 2 game series with the US game in Columbus.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Supposedly the Piojo vs Martinoli brawl happened in the security line at the Philadelphia airport. Surely someone would have been detained?

I think Martinoli is lying, but I wouldn't put it past Herrera to be a dumbfuck and hit a journalist.

loki 16

What does Club America have anything to do with this? Haters gonna hate

Supposedly the Piojo vs Martinoli brawl happened in the security line at the Philadelphia airport. Surely someone would have been detained?

I think Martinoli is lying, but I wouldn't put it past Herrera to be a dumbfuck and hit a journalist.
Martinoli isn't lying. It's been confirmed by lots and lots of other journalists, including several others from TV Azteca. If it indeed happened in an US airport I expect a surveillance video to exist. The only company who hasn't said a thing about this case is Televisa (for obvious reasons).

Oh and Piojo's daughter apparently landed a slap to Luis Garcia's face. This is a circus. I hope he's sacked. And to think he'd get fired after winning the Gold Cup....

loki 16

Martinoli isn't lying. It's been confirmed by lots and lots of other journalists, including several others from TV Azteca. If it indeed happened in an US airport I expect a surveillance video to exist. The only company who hasn't said a thing about this case is Televisa (for obvious reasons).

Oh and Piojo's daughter apparently landed a slap to Luis Garcia's face. This is a circus. I hope he's sacked. And to think he'd get fired after winning the Gold Cup....

Fernando Schwartz said Martinoli was shit taking piojo's daughter and piojo push him. I would like to see surveillance video of the incident before making any type of judgement.

hmm... so what is this all about? this guy knew he was gonna get into a fight with him and still went to him? i don't get it. They have a previous issue going on?

Sorry, but i have not been following any of this outside of the scores of the games :p
Martinoli from TV Azteca has been very openly critical of Piojo and for good reasons and our coach didn't like these criticism and a month ago he called Martinoli "pendejo" in a press conference. Then a Twitter feud started when Piojo told Martinoli that he wanted to see him in person to fix their differences. This is been going for a while but it's been mainly Martinoli criticizing Herrera for his work as coach and this guy taking it personal, insulting him, and now it's come down to physical aggressions.

Do you speak Spanish? I can point you in the direction of dozens of sources in Spanish explaining very well this mess.

Fernando Schwartz said Martinoli was shit taking piojo's daughter and piojo push him. I would like to see surveillance video of the incident before making any type of judgement.
Martinoli has criticized Piojo's daughter for her numerous asinine comments she's made on Twitter attacking anyone who dares criticize his dad but that's it. Of course Piojo's version will make him look better. Numerous others confirmed the physical aggression and it was just a push. And even if it was just a push its still out of line and more than enough reason to sack a national team's coach. You cannot touch a member of the press. Period.

brau

Martinoli from TV Azteca has been very openly critical of Piojo and for good reasons and our coach didn't like these criticism and a month ago he called Martinoli "pendejo" in a press conference. Then a Twitter feud started when Piojo told Martinoli that he wanted to see him in person to fix their differences. This is been going for a while but it's been mainly Martinoli criticizing Herrera for his work as coach and this guy taking it personal, insulting him, and now it's come down to physical aggressions.

Do you speak Spanish? I can point you in the direction of dozens of sources in Spanish explaining very well this mess.

Yea, of course. i speak spanish. send them over.

I never really thought of Herrera as someone that could loose his temper like that, specially after the win in the final. Kinda sad if this whole thing is true. :(

Wonder what kind of sanction he will get.

Honestly.. i like his work at points with Mexico.. but overall.. performance is at a very low. I think i read that out of 52 possible points, Mexico only won like 12 points. That is unacceptable. But, i appreciate him giving the chance to fresh young blood to get seasoned on the road to the next world cup.

Yea, having it so close to the more recent cup pretty much means that the most recent winner is the better team going in.

Martinoli has criticized Piojo's daughter for her numerous asinine comments she's made on Twitter attacking anyone who dares criticize his dad but that's it. Of course Piojo's version will make him look better. Numerous others confirmed the physical aggression and it was just a push. And even if it was just a push its still out of line and more than enough reason to sack a national team's coach. You cannot touch a member of the press. Period.

Pinche Piojo.

post the links, ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom