• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Configurable Segmented Installation for games on PS5 could be a neat feature.

MrFunSocks

Banned
No reason why devs couldn't do stuff like this on the current gen. Some already did it. I expect barely any to do it next gen either. It just has no benefit to developers really.

GrayFoxPL

No reason why devs couldn't do stuff like this on the current gen. Some already did it. I expect barely any to do it next gen either. It just has no benefit to developers really.
Benefits customers though and seeing how taking less space on ssd will be essential this gen I can see this feature as pretty important.

Banned

exactly, the Xbox One theocratically had this feature for a few years now, but almost no game actually makes use of it.
stuff like this is always forgotten really fast by developers.

did you know that the PS4 supports the same feature that the 360 did where it automatically turns off a game's background music as soon as the system detects that you turn on your own Music (through Spotify or the MP3 player)? bet most people didn't. because what was a feature almost every 360 game supported (the only ones I know of that didn't are some CoD games for some weird reason), on PS4 I have encountered precisely 3! games that do it so far... 3...
these games are Rocket League, EDF4.1 and EDF5

every other game I personally played didn't support it and the BGM would just play as usual meaning you have to turn it off in the game's options menu manually.

game devs will often just completely ignore features of a system if they think it's no big deal and customers won't even notice it's missing

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
LOL what? MS pioneered this stuff last gen, of course they'll do it again. Not everything in life is "MS BAD SONY GOOD"
If all you got out of that post is console wars then I don't know what to tell you other than to try harder. There's a reason the all digital console is only 500gb. I'm sure you'll figure it out one day. Companies want your money, and they'll do anything to get it.

Last edited:

Banned
If all you got out of that post is console wars than I don't know what to tell you other than to try harder. There's a reason the all digital console is only 500gb. I'm sure you'll figure it out one day. Companies want your money, and they'll do anything to get it.

the reason it is only 500Gb is because they wanted it to be cheap. these SSDs are still expensive as fuck you know.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It needs to be standard system functionality. Does anyone want lossless FMVs dubbed into five languages gobbling up disk space?
It can be standard system functionality all it wants, doesn't mean devs will use it. Again - current consoles already support this at a system level, yet no-one uses it.

GrayFoxPL

Devs didn't care about space optimization at all probably in part because hdd's were relatively cheap, so it was not that expensive to expand the space to terabytes of data.

Now who gonna afford ssd's with the specs ones that match those in ps5? Rich boys?

I don't believe sony won't have any guidelines for devs to eg. eliminate patches size of the game itself.

FranXico

It has obvious benefits to the end user, and improvements to the toolchain can easily encourage developers to use it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Smaller games thanks to more modularised installation higher chance your game gets installed and kept on active rotation which is not ist good to acquire customers but to retain them (similar reason why iOS added a feature that allow you to offload apps without removing them from the Home Screen, saving space without losing on real estate).

Wjybis this a problem now? Both consoles have limited expensive storage and games are big nowadays... developers adapt to a changed environment.

You know both of these points, but you entered this thread to put the feature down. Had it been an Xbox Only feature it would have been called yet another of this magical “multipliers” some people seem to have their mouths full of.

Mmnow

This is a great feature that I really hope gets used. It was one of the things I was really excited for with the PS4 and it never really happened.

I'd love for it to break down as far as possible. Don't want high res textures? Fine. Multiplayer? Your choice! Forced dlc which you just download a key for? No need to waste your data. That update that fills the main menu with adverts for the sequel? If it's an offline game, download what you want.

The reality is this will mostly be multiplayer/single player split, when it's used at all. That'll be helpful, but I'd love to see more.

Ar¢tos

I wish this gen was more committed to this.
I just downloaded 109GB of RDR2, while, at least for now, I have no interest in the MP, and I only need English support.
If I could have narrowed the download to these options it would have been much faster and smaller on the HDD.

TimFL

LOL what? MS pioneered this stuff last gen, of course they'll do it again. Not everything in life is "MS BAD SONY GOOD"
The PS4 launched with said feature, the XB1 had it added after launch and not a single game I played on my XB1X supports it in any meaningful way (literally launcher screens that show an install progress bar after being marked as ready to play).

Andodalf

Banned
The PS4 launched with said feature, the XB1 had it added after launch and not a single game I played on my XB1X supports it in any meaningful way (literally launcher screens that show an install progress bar after being marked as ready to play).

? This is about being able to only have certain parts of a game installed to play, right? Not playing as you download. Halo MCC is probably the best example of this tech, you only need to install the titles you want, and can separate the SP and MP for each.

Duuude no positive PS5 threads please, didn’t you get the memo?
ebddfcf9a75d2f67e5119b30b75b50f0.gif

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Neat? Try essential.

Huge storage space saver. It really softens the blow from have an SSD that for some insane reason is by default less than 1TB.

TimFL

? This is about being able to only have certain parts of a game installed to play, right? Not playing as you download. Halo MCC is probably the best example of this tech, you only need to install the titles you want, and can separate the SP and MP for each.
This is about both, play as you download (e.g. intro level, is very common on PS4) and prioritize which portion to download first (e.g. MP in Killzone Shadow Fall).

Top Bottom