• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console tradition of cheap pricing might lead to poor performance.

I dont want to rush infront of a moving train. But i had to say this.

For fans mongering and crying out loud online about not wanting consoles to cost above 400 or 500$! You should also be prepared for bogus underperforming nextgen future. And you'll drag the whole gaming world into that cheap hole.

Im already starting to think microsoft wont agree to sell a 12tf console at 400-500$, so it might not be 12tf afterall and neither will sony, sony has even denied rumours of them pricing the ps5 at 600$ already.

So just so were clear sony or microsoft arent ur grandmas companies u cant just always want the cheap ol good stuff n if ull be fine with low performances then please for the next 5-7 years i pray you dont come online to sob and cry about why ur console is underperforming.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Nope this time for 400$ itll be worse than the past because computer tech is againts good pricing this days im afraid we might just get faster load times on old looking games

My hot take? I don't know why were even in a rush this gen. Ironically enough games are looking and performing more solid 6 years in than previous gens when it became clear they're tapped out, unless were talking about X1S which cant handle jack currently without going to 720P. I wouldn't be upset if they launched in 2021 so that new tech has time to devalue for better consoles, but that being said considering I didn't even jump into this gen and start enjoying it till the pro came out I might just wait 2/3 years again and see what revisions, game offerings and price drops the consoles have before I jump on them and then let the "actually good games for 2 years vs i want something to play games" are all super cheap before I go diving head in.

Last edited:

Greedings

If you want power buy a PC. Consoles have never been about power, other than in comparison to their peers, but that’s just marketing bullshit.

That’s why I never understood the idea behind PS4pro and the like. People would spend another£400 on the same console with the same games for them to look slightly better? Just buy a PC and have the best looking games money can buy.

this is coming from a console owner. I don’t need the best looking games, I want the best games, which console exclusives usually are with those wonderful money hats.

My hot take? I don't know why were even in a rush this gen. Ironically enough games are looking and performing more solid 6 years in than previous gens when it became clear they're tapped out, unless were talking about X1S which cant handle jack currently without going to 720P. I wouldn't be upset if they launched in 2021 so that new tech has time to devalue for better consoles, but that being said considering I didn't even jump into this gen and start enjoying it till the pro came out I might just wait 2/3 years again and see what revisions, game offerings and price drops the consoles have before I jump on them and then let the "actually good games for 2 years vs i want something to play games" are all super cheap before I go diving head in.
Problem is the fans are shouting for nextgen consoles online and this is probably 10 percent of oversll gamers currently i have nothing wrong with current consoles n ill only allow a switch to ps5 or series x if they are really significantly that more powerful and not just pro updates but seems to me that console manufactures are buying the online noise and are ready to jump to the next gen n im not sure they really care about graphics that much as long as they call them nextgen theyll still make loads of money. Even more since they dont have to invest in them too much.

Last edited:
If you want power buy a PC. Consoles have never been about power, other than in comparison to their peers, but that’s just marketing bullshit.

That’s why I never understood the idea behind PS4pro and the like. People would spend another£400 on the same console with the same games for them to look slightly better? Just buy a PC and have the best looking games money can buy.

this is coming from a console owner. I don’t need the best looking games, I want the best games, which console exclusives usually are with those wonderful money hats.
Consoles have always been about power ever since ive been a gamer and more especially new generations gamers have always fought over which console had the biggest turbo and horsepower the 360 for instance had more power than any consumer pc at the time of its release but thats not to say im comparing pcs to consoles, pcs arent just gaming machines they are personal computers u can upgrade them as u like so they are a pointless discussion here, problem im having is a ps5 not performing significantly better vidually than a ps4 or pro this is silly

The pro was a 4k addon it was still a ps4 and nobody expected better, and even pcs dont have much to offer because all games are console ports so whatever ur getting on pc is the same console assets with only better resolution and frame rates, this is always the case but a transitioning from a ps4 to a ps5 is a different story

Last edited:

Greedings

Consoles have always been about power ever since ive been a gamer and more especially new generations gamers have always fought over which console had the biggest turbo and horsepower the 360 for instance had more power than any consumer pc at the time of its release but thats not to say im comparing pcs to consoles, pcs arent just gaming machines they are personal computers u can upgrade them as u like so they are a pointless discussion here, problem im having is a ps5 not performing significantly better vidually than a ps4 or pro this is silly

The pro was a 4k addon it was still a ps4 and nobody expected better, and even pcs dont have much to offer because all games are console ports so whatever ur getting on pc is the same console assets with only better resolution and frame rates, this is always the case but a transitioning from a ps4 to a ps5 is a different story
I feel like you just agreed with me. Consoles have only been about power RELATIVE to other consoles. It’s just yet another marketing gimmick.
I think PCs van and are dedicated gaming machines as much as consoles. Not all of course, but there are a ton of PCs just for gaming. Consoles have also spread out to fill other gaps. Watch tv with Netflix. Listen to music with Spotify. I remember a whole marketing campaign about watching NFL on the XBONE

If you want power buy a PC.

I hate this logic, because there are a number of games that are console only that I can not play on a PC. If consoles didn't have a place in the consumer market then they would have died off long ago. I think we should be able to get powerful consoles especially if they are limited to playing games, whereas a PC can do so much more.

Last edited:

Greedings

I hate this logic, because there are a number of games that are console only that I can not play on a PC. If consoles didn't have a place in the consumer market then they would have died off long ago.

“If you want power buy a PC”

“But there are console exclusives I want!”

Then you’re not interested in power. You’re interested in games. Which is in my opinion, the correct way to think. That’s why I got a PS4 rather than a new gaming PC. I wanted bloodborne. It was the right choice as the game was amazing and It certainly didn’t make use of the PS4 power.

I feel like you just agreed with me. Consoles have only been about power RELATIVE to other consoles. It’s just yet another marketing gimmick.
I think PCs van and are dedicated gaming machines as much as consoles. Not all of course, but there are a ton of PCs just for gaming. Consoles have also spread out to fill other gaps. Watch tv with Netflix. Listen to music with Spotify. I remember a whole marketing campaign about watching NFL on the XBONE
Nobody has ever marketed consoles against pcs, its always consoles vs consoles and im talking about ps5 and series x vs current consoles, as for pc u c talk about the new gpu and cpu vs the old ones so its a console topic not a pc topic. You can do as you like with a pc whether u decide to simulate weather or play games.

Last edited:
“If you want power buy a PC”

“But there are console exclusives I want!”

Then you’re not interested in power. You’re interested in games. Which is in my opinion, the correct way to think. That’s why I got a PS4 rather than a new gaming PC. I wanted bloodborne. It was the right choice as the game was amazing and It certainly didn’t make use of the PS4 power.

But I am interested in power, as better more innovative and good looking games require stronger/faster internal components. But I don't need all the extra stuff that comes with a PC. Obviously a console is a PC, with everything taken away except what is needed to play videogames. Realistically, should I not be able to get a super fast and powerful console for less than what an equally fast/powerful PC would cost, as technically it is limited to just videogames and basic entertainment apps?

Aion002

But I am interested in power, as better more innovative and good looking games require stronger/faster internal components. But I don't need all the extra stuff that comes with a PC. Obviously a console is a PC, with everything taken away except what is needed to play videogames. Realistically, should I not be able to get a super fast and powerful console for less than what an equally fast/powerful PC would cost, as technically it is limited to just videogames and basic entertainment apps?

"as better more innovative and good looking games require stronger/faster internal components"

Art makes all the difference.

See Nintendo games, they are innovative and beautiful.

The same with Sony games. Gran Turismo Sport or God of War shows that Art>>>>>>>>>raw power in most of cases.

Bloodborne on PS4 OG>>>>>>>Fallen Order running on the most powerful pc ever.

Obviously some games depends 100% on power.... but those are not the main goal of console games.

Just my two cents....

Last edited:
Consoles have always had relatively low price and have cut corners to maintain this price. I don't see what's different now.
If you want top tier quality, buy a gaming pc. But it's gonna cost triple the cost of a console. Maybe even more.

Most multiplat games are made with a console as a base target and some extra fluff for PC users. Consoles are holding the medium back. Cheap ass no jobbers who need mummy and daddy to buy them a their game box are the partly the reason.

A lot of people have no problem laying down 1000+ for a phone but would have a melt down when a console costs more than 400. Consoles need to buck the price trend and stop using shitty outdated tech and get back to the way it used to be, when the latest console was a breakthrough in tech.

Greedings

Nobody has ever marketed consoles against pcs, its always consoles vs consoles

of course because consoles are incredibly weak compare to top end PCs. The marketing departments would be insane to try to compete with PC in terms of power

again you’re not interested in power. You’re interested in enough power to have the games you like.
there are plenty of unique PC exclusive games which take advantage of the extra processing power, just look at the VR space for many examples. They’re not the games you want though, you want the console exclusives which tend to follow a specific style, most of which aren’t really dependent on power. They make the most of what they have, but uncharted 4 would be the same game on PS3 as on PS4. It’d just look slightly less good. The core game is not dependent on processing power, it’s just a story driven TPS.

Consoles have always had relatively low price and have cut corners to maintain this price. I don't see what's different now.
If you want top tier quality, buy a gaming pc. But it's gonna cost triple the cost of a console. Maybe even more.
Youll never have a graphics leap even if u used a super computer because games are designed on consoles and ported to pc, so even pc gamers should hope the series x and ps5 are a dignificant leap cause if not then ull be playing cheap ass console ports for the next 7 years on ur 2000$ pc

Youll never have a graphics leap even if u used a super computer because games are designed on consoles and ported to pc, so even pc gamers should hope the series x and ps5 are a dignificant leap cause if not then ull be playing cheap ass console ports for the next 7 years on ur 2000$ pc
But very shiny cheap ass console ports.

But very shiny cheap ass console ports.
Exactly which is shit, the next consoles will probably do 4k 60 anyway but the game assets wont look that different from a ps4 so whatever shiny youll get above 4k 60 is meaningless, pc shininess only mattered when the 360 and ps3 couldnt go above 720p and a stable 30 but now with raytraced 4k 60 on consoles.. nobody would care unless ur a computer engineer and start dissecting pixels so without a proper revolution of fresh nextgen assets across the board from poly counts to physics then the whole industry is cursed.

Shifty1897

I dont want to rush infront of a moving train. But i had to say this.

For fans mongering and crying out loud online about not wanting consoles to cost above 400 or 500$! You should also be prepared for bogus underperforming nextgen future. And you'll drag the whole gaming world into that cheap hole.

Im already starting to think microsoft wont agree to sell a 12tf console at 400-500$, so it might not be 12tf afterall and neither will sony, sony has even denied rumours of them pricing the ps5 at 600$ already.

So just so were clear sony or microsoft arent ur grandmas companies u cant just always want the cheap ol good stuff n if ull be fine with low performances then please for the next 5-7 years i pray you dont come online to sob and cry about why ur console is underperforming.

They're consoles, they shouldn't be over $400 for a base version. They're priced for parents who don't want to break the bank for Christmas, they're priced for college students who want to get one with the money they got from selling their books back for a semester. They're priced as the lowest entry point into gaming.

They're not priced for hardcore gamers with major disposable incomes who demand 4k gaming and 120 fps. That's what PCs (or Pro Console versions) are for.

Exactly which is shit, the next consoles will probably do 4k 60 anyway but the game assets wont look that different from a ps4 so whatever shiny youll get above 4k 60 is meaningless, pc shininess only mattered when the 360 and ps3 couldnt go above 720p and a stable 30 but now with raytraced 4k 60 on consoles.. nobody would care unless ur a computer engineer and start dissecting pixels so without a proper revolution of fresh nextgen assets across the board from poly counts to physics then the whole industry is cursed.
It's already cursed in different ways then shiny graphics. Dlc, microtransactions, sequels etc, etc.
Gaming, internet and consumer electronics was ruined the moment it got mainstream and all the normies started flooding in. But that's a topic for another day.

DESTROYA

What exactly is ”under performing“ OP?
Biggest problem with last gen was CPU power and next gen will address that, APU’s have not exactly exploded in price and remain relatively cheap , ( buying in bulk even cheaper )
Ray Tracing will make significant difference to graphics .

OP learn to type complete words, reading your posts with butchered words is maddening.

It's already cursed in different ways then shiny graphics. Dlc, microtransactions, sequels etc, etc.
Gaming, internet and consumer electronics was ruined the moment it got mainstream and all the normies started flooding in. But that's a topic for another day.
Everythings cursed this days gamez, films, politics, everthing i spend my time watching old films most of which i never watched and theres a gazillion of good films n i play old games aswell, i just hope they deliver powerful nextgen consoles and they dont fuck up the kind of games i play cause if they do then i dont want any part of it ill just hope i retire early pack my stuff go to a quiet place somewhere far from this so called modern society and call it a day.

VFXVeteran

Banned

So wrong I cringe in every post where people elude to this statement. It's simply false.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
SSD is pretty cheap compared to the first couple years they were out on the market. Over time technology becomes cheaper, so they make money on the markup. I wasn't really complaining this gen, games still looked really good.

I want a statistic that show average age of console buyer per brand and average income of that buyer.
I want to see hard numbers so i u derstand if this is really a problem for most or if everyone is just a cheap bastard.
Average age of console buyer has and will always be a dad mostly a middle aged dad or mum buying for his 5-15 year old boy. And i think weve had this habit of consoles being cheap cause ever since were 10 weve hoped our parents wont complain of pricing and old habits die hard so were now in our 20s+ and most are still stuck in this habit

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Innovation and details comes from developers themselves rather than more than power.

SSD is pretty cheap compared to the first couple years they were out on the market. Over time technology becomes cheaper, so they make money on the markup. I wasn't really complaining this gen, games still looked really good.
Ssd is cheap yes but critical important parts that are crucial for gaming arent cheap, ram is still expensive and we need lots of it and the fastest of it, processors arent clocking faster anyway the whole technology thing is based on tricks to compensate the price the returns are diminishing its the sad truth.

So wrong I cringe in every post where people elude to this statement. It's simply false.
We have an old saying where im from, in swahili, "lisemwalo lipo!" Meaning " What is being talked about is here; if it is not here, it's coming along So theres a reason u keep seeing people saying this because theres is truth in it, it exists and its why people say so.

Last edited:

Danjin44

That is art direction and design not fidelity if innovation was as u said then wed be stuck with playstation 1 until today
Both video shows how interactive their world are compare to newer entity even tho they running on much weaker system.

Jtibh

Banned
Average age of console buyer has and will always be a dad mostly a middle aged dad or mum buying for his 5-15 year old boy. And i think weve had this habit of consoles being cheap cause ever since were 10 weve hoped our parents wont complain of pricing and old habits die hard so were now in our 20s+ and most are still stuck in this habit
Yeah i guess. I can see that.

Both video shows how interactive their world are compare to newer entity even tho they running on much weaker system.
Yeah yeah its still design and art direction theres tonnes of old games with better art direction and design that doesnt mean a ps5 should have shitty underpowered hardware its a computer not a guitar and as far as computers go more horsepower is better, what designers do with that horsepower is their problem not the computers. With great power comes great responsibility!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There hasn't been a power "problem" this gen, so exactly why next gen should have issues is pretty unlikely.

Sorry, but the higher the baseline gets, the fewer people will give a shit about x platform being slightly more capable than platform y. Most people just want entertainment, not bragging rights about having the most graphical bells and whistles.

Look, not every graphics card on the market for PC is the latest, greatest and most powerful. There's always a range of products trading price for performance, the same goes for every component. The point being that console makers have absolutely no reason to chase the top-tier on PC when the price-point/sales demographic they are targeting is basically equivalent to the low-end/entry-level.

There hasn't been a power "problem" this gen, so exactly why next gen should have issues is pretty unlikely.

Sorry, but the higher the baseline gets, the fewer people will give a shit about x platform being slightly more capable than platform y. Most people just want entertainment, not bragging rights about having the most graphical bells and whistles.

Look, not every graphics card on the market for PC is the latest, greatest and most powerful. There's always a range of products trading price for performance, the same goes for every component. The point being that console makers have absolutely no reason to chase the top-tier on PC when the price-point/sales demographic they are targeting is basically equivalent to the low-end/entry-level.
Im not talking of ps5 vs series x theyll all be the same always have been my question is will a ps5 really be significantly powerful than a ps4 at 400$

Danjin44

Yeah yeah its still design and art direction theres tonnes of old games with better art direction and design that doesnt mean a ps5 should have shitty underpowered hardware its a computer not a guitar and as far as computers go more horsepower is better, what designers do with that horsepower is their problem not the computers. With great power comes great responsibility!
Except they won’t, 90% western developers making open world one after another, its very rare see them making proper level design these days and most of their effort goes to make their games more “pretty” rather than serves actual gameplay. So yes I don’t want to pay $1000 for consoles that only gives me “pretty” graphics rather interesting design.

I don’t mind console are $400, as long as they give me interesting games I’m happy.

Last edited:

Spokker

I'll take whatever $499 U.S. dollars buys in Fall 2020. I was very happy with the Xbox One X and I have no problem with that price point continuing if they can deliver a solid incremental step.

Gargus

Banned
I'm ok with a 400 dollar playstation. It's a reasonable price for a console to me and I dont really want to pay more than that.

Good graphics do not equal good game so big fancy hardware while cool doesnt mean as much to me as it does to a lot of people. I just want to play good games. And the hardware does improve which allows for more improvements in games that were accessible previously. If you crank up the hardware it will still be dated after a while and be replaced with something more powerful and then you'll have people saying "600 dollars for a console is cheap and you'll have poor graphics unless you spend 900 dollars on one". What's more to us now won't be enough later. It's the never ending circle for hardware obsessed people, it could always be better and there is always something around the corner.

Xbox one waved its "look at how fucking awesome my hardware is" dick around and it got them nowhere because they didn't have any good games. Then it was "yeah look at this new version of my hardware" dick swung around but it still didn't do much because it had no games. Then they said with the xbox one x "yeah look at this all new big veiney most powerful console on the planet" and it was limp as fuck because it didn't have any good games. All that power and the big price didn't do Jack or shit for them.

theclaw135

Banned
We've approaching a level where visual improvements are largely superficial. I'd rather turn toward better realism. True-to-life ballistics and impact physics to make shooters more immersive. Open world games whose building interiors can be fully explored. Etc.

From the user's perspective, most of what makes modern consoles different from PC is ARTIFICIAL limitations anyhow. There is nothing in terms of capabilities stopping current systems from running Linux or using a keyboard and mouse.

VFXVeteran

Banned
We have an old saying where im from, in swahili, "lisemwalo lipo!" Meaning " What is being talked about is here; if it is not here, it's coming along So theres a reason u keep seeing people saying this because theres is truth in it, it exists and its why people say so.

No. People are saying it because that's what they believe. Not because they know this to be a fact. There was just a thread about some developer on ERA the other day posted here. They mentioned scaling their game with PC in mind for the upper tier of power and using a mid tier for consoles, etc. to prove my point.

waylo

Banned
It kills me every time a new console comes out and I see these delusional posts from people who have no clue always talking about new consoles being more powerful than whatever top of the line GPU is out. Like yes, your $400 box is going to perform better than a PC where the graphics card ALONE costs $800. Sure thing buddy.

People just set themselves up for disappointment every time a new console comes out. It's unbelievable to me.

Top Bottom