• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial gaming opinions you have that could end in you being labeled a hater or troll?

Dragon Ball FighterZ is not a good fighting game. Remove the Dragon Ball "skin" and it is at best passable.
Plus, the English dub is objectively terrible.

Nintendo is no better than Sony or MS. The “gamers” who think they’re somehow the good guys are delusional, saccharine idiots.

DLC shouldn’t have the bad reputation that it has. It can only make good games even better.

The people who claim to be “gameplay first” or “mechanics focused gamers” are just virtue-signaling and pretentious low iq cunts. Most gamers care about gameplay. You’re not more qualified or more of a real gamer because you overpraise some random Japanese game.

People who cling to Doom Eternal/BoTW or any other enthusiast choice type of game are silly uber nerds. DE in particular because the fanbase for that game is so damn cancerous.

Oh, last one. If you’re claiming “Naughty Dog/Rockstar/Microsoft/insert faceless company games suck is controversial or trollish, then you haven’t been paying attention.

Last edited:
I don't like people keep saying AC is not AC anymore due to mythological ISU stuff

For me, AC was always about the clash of two ideaologies, ISU slavery and humanity's freedom. Just because it takes different forms and stuff doesn't make them bad AC games

And ISU was there even in the first game. The very first Apple of Eden we saw is their creation. And then second game explored the plot further. Literally, Minerva Juno and Jupiter appear before Ezio... And people still keep bashing on new AC games being too unrealistic. They have more freedom to do stuff because the ISU is not yet discovered by hidden ones/asssasins/templars. Once templars tart to discover ISU and stuff, they conceal it. The very reason why magic and stuff is dwindled in current ages because Templars supressed. They even silenced a scientist who found out that humans were not evolutionized from monkeys (in game's lore, ISU transformed humans into what they are). These kind of clues always hinted that templars suppresed ISU presence in world. Hence Odyssey and Origins have lots of magic and monsters, because it can. There's no one to supress it. And even if common people see them, later generations won't. There are no cameras, there are no recording devices. These monsters, creatures and events became "legends". Once technology is shifted onwards, organizations like Templars supressed such as evidences. And most creatures/monsters were defeated by heroes such as Kassandra anyways.

So if you're a real AC-Isu lore fan, these games always deliver. It seems as if people didn't care about The Truth video in AC 2. Adam and Eve are assasins too, by their ideology of running away from their slave masters, but you can bet that they won't use hidden blades or use shadows on their operations. But if a game were made about these two, it would still named Assassin's Creed and people would get mad even further.

I don't know if this is controversial or not, but I hate people bashing on new AC games not being actual AC games. Okay, I guess, they just want a hooded dude with a hidden blade, they got it, and they're still not satisfied. What can I say?
Thanks for this post! I was thinking about this earlier and arrived at the same conclusion.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I think battle royale games (PUBG, Fortnite, etc) are so boring and creatively bankrupt that I actually find myself looking down upon people that enjoy them. Even children. They're on the same level to me as people who, by their own choice, watch Jamie Kennedy movies and enjoy them. On a fundamental level we could never be friends. Acquittances, but never friends.

What about Battle Royale don't you like?

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
-Skyward Sword is the worst Zelda game
-MCC release was a disgrace
-Halo 4 is a disgrace (multiplayer) not its campaign. Campaign is ok
-Min Min in SSBU was a terrible decision
-Twilight Princess is a good Zelda game but maybe just barely ‘great’ if even great at all. It’s either extremely good or just barely great but it is not exceedingly great or anywhere near excellent, superb, or outstanding like several of the Zelda games are. Its overworld is dreary, dull, glum, inspires feelings of loneliness and isolation often times, and TP offers a cast of NPCs that don’t impress. In fact, many are extremely odd and even grotesquely so in some instances

Damn, I went in lol. Even so, I enjoyed all those games. It’s just that there is plenty to critique

Bluecondor

When I see a zombie in a video game, I immediately lose all sense of immersion in the world and have no interest in playing a game that involves killing zombies. To me, zombies in video games are no different from Casper the Friendly Ghost or the Wicked Witch of the West. I can sometimes appreciate zombies in a movie or novel, if the zombie theme has a deeper narrative meaning, but in video games having "undead" enemies absolutely ruins some otherwise interesting sounding games. For example, TLOU is a great example of this - it looks like a great game, but there is no way I could take it seriously because the entire game centers around zombies.

FStubbs

Some of my general controversial ones:

Microsoft's first party games have not been good enough so far. Very average and meh. I'm sure it will pick up.. but so far... Very uninspiring. I enjoyed a few of these games like Wastand 3 but it didn't blow my mind.
Blow my mind MS!

Sony's PS5 first party games are not going to be as good as the PS4s output. Those were the golden days and won't be topped.

Nintendo is heading towards another WiiU era when their Switch successor arrives - This time with no 3DS like system to fall back on. I feel LIKE with the Wii before it, they've become too cocky and people are going to get bored..
A lot of people actually think this, simply because complacent Nintendo is never really good.

GeekyDad

Games are supposed to be fun.
hqg GIF

MagnesG

Banned
Games are supposed to be fun.
hqg GIF
It's possible that some people couldn't even be having fun on journalist mode because they absolutely suck on the gameplay part, even getting stuck on the tutorial, hence the long-ass cinematic is needed to entice them.

onesvenus

I don't get hooked into most Playstation games. I have bought, started but not finished the following games: The last of us 1 and 2, Ghost of Tsushima, God of war and Horizon.

I can appreciate their amazing production values and that's usually something that pushes me to keep playing them but in the end I always get bored.

BlueHawk357

Xbox really messed up by keeping their controller last gen. When I swap between controllers the Xbox one reminds me of the 00s and PC gaming.

Playstation are cash grabbing and anti consumer this generation.

Fifa needs to go free like PES is.

DavidGzz

Nintendo games are for children. I understand the polish and how they can be fun for kids but I don't understand still liking them enough to spend time on them over many other more mature games. In before someone says I'm immature for having this opinion. It's just my opinion. Get over it.

Nintendo games are for children. I understand the polish and how they can be fun for kids but I don't understand still liking them enough to spend time on them over many other more mature games. In before someone says I'm immature for having this opinion. It's just my opinion. Get over it.

They're games for children that adults play. Nintendo has become the Starbucks/Apple of games. It's all about the brand. Some shitty golf game is a hot seller. Meanwhile you have a game like 2k1 with a crazy course creator that you can't give away. They want to play as Yoshi. It's not even about the game.

Zelda Breath of the Wild is overrated garbage thanks to its shitty weapon durability system.

Dark Souls II had the best PVP out of all the souls games but worse everything else.

Ghost of Tsushima while a good game, gets way too much praise and doesn't really do anything much new for an open world genre.

I have yet to play a better platformer in existence than Super Mario Oddysey to this day.

Last of Us 2 while a decent game, had a lot of questionable writing and story decisions and too much pandering to certain groups of people.

Kataploom

Gold Member
"I'm going damage/dps"

— Me, after picking the only healer in the team on a ranked match in a champions based game.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I used to be super against playing a game on its easiest difficulty...but after a long as$ day or a hard as$ day the previous day when ur tired/not fully there and just wanna fukk sh!t up and get through/see the worlds/environments and don't want to keep dying I can see choosing the easiest difficulty to be okay in these situations especially if its like a type of game ur not used to playing...this is what I tell myself at least to feel okay and not feel like a pus$y for choosing the easiest difficulty on doom eternal...I promised myself I'll go back and play it on a harder difficulty after I get used to its gameplay style...but maybe not...we'll see how everything plays out :messenger_beaming:

tassletine

I love Dark Souls , but I don't understand why people love Bloodburne so much . I think it is just ok. Nothing special.
Because it's a slimmed down version of Souls that's more of an action game, to say nothing of the horror element.

No useless weapons, inventory management or any of that stuff that pads Souls out. It's the pinnacle of MetroidVania.

Loope

I've played every Halo from Spartan Assault to ODST (except the Dave and Buster's Halo game) so don't come for my neck lol but Halo has felt redundant for a while now

Even Halo 5 Guardians with clambering, ground pound, etc. still felt like the same game I've played already

With that said, there's only so much you can change in a FPS
I don't even like it very much from what i remember playing (1 and 2), i bought the collection on Steam, let's see how it goes but at the moment i'm having more fun with Wolfenstein: The New Order and Anno 1800

- The Xbox S/X are just glorified Xbox One's for the time being.

- Halo 4 multiplayer was rubbish, Campaign was enjoyable.

- Halo 5 multiplayer was OK, Campaign was rubbish and worse in the series and 343i should be ashamed of it.

- Doom 2016 is better than Eternal.

- Fallout 4 is a dumbed RPG, more of a shooter than an RPG itself.

- Skyrim is an over-rated game and yet so many people treat it as the pinacol of the series and the genre.

- Sony and Nintendo are equally anti-consumer.

- A majority of Japanese game designs are still stuck in the past. Only Japanese developer that have evolved are Capcom & Kojima Productions.

Edit: - PC Gaming is ruined with DRM, launcher exclusives.

Last edited:

Woggleman

God of war is a great game but they overdid it with the puzzles just a bit. I hated those seals where you have to throw the axe quick to break all of them. I also put the game on easy to beat the Valkyries.

Blasphemy! The Wii era was the darkest time for Nintendo.

BrilliantQualifiedBoilweevil-size_restricted.gif

cIFVO1f.gif
Ok this one got to me.
Gta 4 is easy better than 5 with it's trash story and stupid 3 way characters.
I could go on :p
I fully agree. I love the ragdoll physics and driving controls.

Personally, I like Yoshi's Story more than Yoshi's Island. I love the branching paths, attempting an all melon challenge, and I just love the aesthetic. The visuals are so cute, and the music very happy. And Yoshi is always adorable. Even the enemies are cute! Just a very comfy game.

I think this opinion counts.

Projectile characters in fighting games are the best. Why would you get near your opponent when you have the choice to attack safely at range? It’s not only a legitimate strategy, it’s accounted for by the game and long range zoners have serious drawbacks designed in. Bunch of crybabies I tells ya.

JoeBudden

Bethesda is wildly overrated and all of their success can be credited to Oblivion/Morrowind's mechanics (which received very little innovation since introduced). All of their games have completely forgettable plots.

Modern Fallout games are pretty much Oblivion with guns. Skyrim was Oblivion with dragons. Starfield is sounding like it will be Oblivion with space bullshit.

Last edited:

Ryugarr

Neo Member
People enter games with far too much confirmation bias and their opinions will be predetermined.

As I recently played both RE8 and 2 remake I have to say 8 is much better. The only part of 2 which is equal is the police station. Both good, 8 better. The main shortcoming of 8 was the puzzles to me.

To poke the hornets nest:
GoW 2018 has a terrible narrative premise.
It underused it's own lore and more egregiously failed to take full advantage of Norse mythology from a storytelling perspective.

Sony have never published a top tier shooter. Their closest was Killzone 2.

I want to keep going but some of us can only handle so much truth.
I think that is why GoW 2018 is being made into a trilogy....

Playstation is mostly focusing on the cinematic experience because they want their games to have the same appeal as movies. I'm not saying they're bad, but sometimes i feel that Playstation studios are just technical powerhouses with fun being last on the list.
Playstation is more famous because that's where everyone in Europe plays their FIFA. I bet most of them don't give a shit about exclusives (I'm from a country that we can easily call SonyLand and most of my friends there don't give a shit about the exclusives - just Fifa and PES really, and the occasional COD)
Nintendo is predictable and , to be honest, tiresome.
Xbox could be much better if they actually gave a damn about the rest of the world besides the US.

Top Bottom