• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial gaming opinions you have that could end in you being labeled a hater or troll?

Kumomeme

:lollipop_sunglasses:
scared johnny depp GIF

Vaelka

Game developers in America are extremely immature when it comes to sexualized content and there has been a massive overreaction to the whole '' Sarkeesian narrative ''.
Having sexualized characters in your game is not a crime against humanity and a character being sexualized doesn't negate everything else about them.
There's just something cringey and sad to me about seeing like even a poster for example of Ms Marvel in the failed Avengers where her leotard turned into shorts or like Cammy in Fortnite having her design become a mess with out of place leggins that don't even fit.
I get that in the latter it's a kids game altho is Gymnastics then not kid friendly too?
And do we actually believe a US studio wouldn't have done this to her regardless?

This doesn't '' ruin the game and make it unplayable '', but it's fucking annoying and extremely limiting.
Japanese games do a far better job at having very varied characters and character designs, in games made in the US it really feels like it's just the identical approach constantly.
I do think it's an American thing too, as far as '' the West '' goes and our industry is so centralized in the US.
And it's the same in animation and often comics too, in comics it seems to be a bit mixed tho.
They do try it in comics too but often it fails and they backpeddle it just depends on the writer.

I am just tired of it and want more variety, it's like they just erased sexualized characters and then now pretend like that equates to diversity.
It doesn't.
And it's not like they added anything else, all that happened was that they chopped the breasts off and covered them more, they're still basically all just skinny.
Actual diversity would be keeping those characters and ADDING more ( for BOTH genders too ).
Not just erasing the supposedly '' offensive '' ones.

Edit: Also censorship is shit and I think it's perfectly justifable to boycott games because of it.
Usually it's due to sexualized content too because ofc it is...
But not always.
The entire concept of censorship and developers being '' forced '' to change their work in and of itself due to third party pressure or perceived pressure is just a really shitty thing that shouldn't be enabled or supported imo.
Devs need to grow some balls.

On that note I actually have more respect for them not putting Mai into Smash instead of censoring her, because that shows me that they actually respect the character to not '' modify '' her in a way that makes zero sense with her character just for the sake of putting her in.
I actually have more respect for that than if they had censored her.

Last edited:
I don't know why people say that sony first party games start becoming great in the ps3 era
Actually sony first party games took a huge decline in ps3 & ps4 era

The golden age for sony first party games were in the ps2 generation
Sony was on fire 🔥 back then
We had games like ico
Shadow of the colossus
Ghost hunter the getaway jak&Daxter
Sly Cooper ratchet and clank primal
And gran turismo 3 gran turismo 4
And the eyetoy games
Sing star
socom 2 us navy seals
Twisted metal black
Dark cloud
the mark of kri
They had different variety of great classic games that sold millions and still loved to this day

But for some strange reasons people still say the ps3 & ps4 era are the golden age for sony first party games 😅

Last edited:

GustavoLT

Xbox Series S should be discontinued immediatly;
Neil Druckman should quit game industry;
Link should be called Zelda and vice versa
Microsoft Game Studios is the modern LJN (AVGN reference)
Playstation exclusives are better than (Nintendo + Microsoft)'s

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Gaming is better without Nintendo.

That's not controversial (he says, controversially). Nintendo's only saving grace is first-party IPs. Because they have enough successful first-party IPs they can release sub-par hardware and their fanboys will gush. They don't push the boundaries unless it's gimmicks (joy cons are a joke - fight me). But they don't need to as nobody else is allowed to make Mario, or Zelda, et cetera. They should have pulled a Sega and jumped out of hardware. Put Mario/Zelda/et cetera on Xbox, Playstation, and PC. They'd make bank, and they could leave innovation to companies that have a vested interest in competition since they're actually competing with other companies.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
I have PS1-PS5. I've owned countless PSP's and Vitas. I just got a PSVR. PS2 is my fave console of all time.

Yet my opinion that Xbox consoles have clearly been a better place to play games the last 2 generations......would likely get me labeled as some sorta Xbox fanboy. Despite the fact that i never owned the original Xbox. And I preferred PS3 to 360.

i just whole heartedly feel like Xbox since at least 2015....does everything better than Playstation EXCEPT EXCLUSIVE GAMES
Well, a troll needs hate.

WitchHunter

Banned
- Fallout 3 and 4 are so bad, I never managed to play them for more than 10 hours
- Halo is a kiddies game with all of that jumping and screaming little aliens
- BotW is the worst 3D Zelda, by far
- Mario Odyssey is the best 3D Mario game
- RE4 was the beginning of RE's ride to mediocrity
- RE8 was a good game, but a bad RE
- RDR > RDR2
- FF9 is the worst (but not a bad) PS1 FF
A TRUE CONNOISSEUR!

april6e

The Twin Snakes (MGS1 Remake on Gamecube) is an upgrade over the original game in every way except for voice acting.

The game has the exact MGS2 engine/gameplay and also allows you to swap back to top down gameplay if you are one of those people who is like "first person ruins the gameplay intentions of the first game". Another point of contention with purists is a couple of over the top cutscenes which is laughable because it pales in comparison to the utter loony tune insanity that happens in MGS2 and MGS4.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

- Fallout 3 and 4 are so bad, I never managed to play them for more than 10 hours
- Halo is a kiddies game with all of that jumping and screaming little aliens
- BotW is the worst 3D Zelda, by far
- Mario Odyssey is the best 3D Mario game
- RE4 was the beginning of RE's ride to mediocrity
- RE8 was a good game, but a bad RE
- RDR > RDR2
- FF9 is the worst (but not a bad) PS1 FF

I agree with some of these especially RE 4. I played it recently and after 900+ enemies, its an action game. People can pretend its not but theres more enemies in the first hour than the entire first trilogy. A great game but its the reason RE became what it is.

But RE 8 is a great RE game. Horror, metroidvania, puzzles, not so action-y. Creepy mansions. Its more RE than RE4, 5 and 6.

Mario Odyssey is awesome. Up there with Sunshine and 64

Halo 1 defo had shit enemies, 2 and 3 didnt feel like kiddy games though.

FF9 is awesome lol

Kokoloko85

-Mario Galaxy 1&2 are the worst of the 3D Marios and maybe the worst Mario games. Cant stand them
-RE4 is the reason the series went downhill,Great game but after 900+ enemies, an action game not a survival horror. (Someone else said the same)
-Wii is the worst Nintendo Console ever. ( I love all the others )
-GTA 5 is meh
- I couldnt play the Witcher 3 for more a few hours because the combat was so bad. I prefer the 1&2

kingkaiser

Naughyt Dog's last good game was Jak & Daxter Precursor Legacy
After Halo Reach none of the Xbox first party games came even close matching that quality.
Super Smash Bros is the biggest trash in the history of video games.

I don't know why people say that sony first party games start becoming great in the ps3 era
Actually sony first party games took a huge decline in ps3 & ps4 era

The golden age for sony first party games were in the ps2 generation
Sony was on fire 🔥 at that time
We had games like ico
Shadow of the colossus
Ghost hunter the getaway jak&Daxter
Sly Cooper ratchet and clank primal
And gran turismo 3 gran turismo 4
And the eyetoy games
Sing star
socom 2 us navy seals
Twisted metal black
Dark cloud
the mark of kri
The had different variety of great classic games that sold millions and still loved to this day

But for some strange reasons people still say the ps3 & ps4 era are the golden age for sony first party games 😅
PS2 was the last console I really enjoyed.

-Mario Galaxy 1&2 are the worst of the 3D Marios and maybe the worst Mario games. Cant stand them
-RE4 is the reason the series went downhill,Great game but after 900+ enemies, an action game not a survival horror. (Someone else said the same)
-Wii is the worst Nintendo Console ever. ( I love all the others )
-GTA 5 is meh
- I couldnt play the Witcher 3 for more a few hours because the combat was so bad. I prefer the 1&2

how can Wii be the worst Nintendo console if u love the others tho? Since its also a Gamecube. And it also had a huge virtual console

i can play Metroid Prime Trilogy/Ocarina of Time/Wind Waker/Twilight Princess on my Wii. Can't even do that on a switch

Final Fantasy XV is one of the worst modern Final Fantasy game ever.

Emet-Selch is one of the best Final Fantasy Villians ever.

Immortal: Fenyx Rising is a better zelda clone than BOTW itself.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
The indie scene is very overrated, and "Triple A" games are way too maligned
I agree. Ocassionally something really neat pops out of that scene, especially recently, like the ascent, the outer wilds, hollow knight, or the upcoming stray. But for the most part its alot of “oh boy, yet another 2d 8 bit metroidvania , rogue like, puzzle platformer that deals with insecurity or depression or some shit.” That will go on sale for a dollar in the next eshop sale

Azurro

Banned
I don't think Nintendo's games are all that great. All of their games are basically the same as that "Barbie with a new hat" doll from the Simpsons: tweaked expansions, slightly better graphics and they sell by the millions. Low production games that are as innovative as a new FIFA game, but they sell millions over years and even get kudos from fans, it's genius really.

Bethesda RPGs. I really can't care less about these games like Fallout and The Elder Scrolls, not only are they subpar graphically, they are also clunky to control, don't have iconic characters, their stories are mediocre at best and even the side quests are stupid (thinking mostly about Fallout). I don't understand why they are so critically acclaimed.

Plantoid

I don't understand why people buy physical, coming from PC it seems archaic to have to stand up and put a disc in the console.

"I like to own my games" is something I never understand... Do you "own" every movie too?

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I don't understand why people buy physical, coming from PC it seems archaic to have to stand up and put a disc in the console.

"I like to own my games" is something I never understand... Do you "own" every movie too?
I see it like having a Ebook library instead of actual books.

I sure do like my physical :)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Every PlayStation controller has sucked until the DualSense......if it had Asymmetric sticks.

OG PS1 - Everyone knows that thing was whack.
Dual Analog - I can almost forgive it....but in hindsight...nada.
Dual Shock, 2, 3 - The same shit over and over aye?
Six Axis - Probably the worst controller in modern history....yes worse than the duke!
Dual Shock 4 - The handles were fucking dildos. The sticks were made in hell.
Dual Sense - Finally actually has triggers and a good shape, actually ergonomic....but Symmetric stick. God help us all.

But I cant actually say all that because im obviously a hater.

P.S Before anyone asks I think the best modern controller is the Nacon Revolution, yes even with the weird back button placement this thing was a must anytime I wanted to truly enjoy my time with my PS4.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

how can Wii be the worst Nintendo console if u love the others tho? Since its also a Gamecube. And it also had a huge virtual console

i can play Metroid Prime Trilogy/Ocarina of Time/Wind Waker/Twilight Princess on my Wii. Can't even do that on a switch

I mean Without the Virtual Console /BC- Purely Wii games vs Nes, Snes, N64, Gamecube, Wii U games etc

The virtual console was great but without it the Wii was not for me. Its probably my least favourite console ever. And Ive owned every console since the Nes apart from the Master System, X1 and Series S/X

I do like some of the games like Paper Mario and wii sports but overall I hate the controls. Skyward Sword on the Switch is so much better for me.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Resident Evil does not depict realistic reaction time of what a real person would do in the situations they wind up in. Each entry basically comes with an auto nerf to your character except Resident Evil 5.

This means Resident Evil 5 is the best Resident Evil.

BONUS: COD Modern Warfare 2 is the worst COD. Too many killstreaks in the sky ruins the otherwise excellent gunplay of the game. Rather play COD: Ghosts.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow has the best Spies vs Mercs Mode. Chaos Theory is for pansies and casuals who aren't smart enough to mitigate the fact that mines could be placed damn near anywhere in Pandora Tomorrow and need active camo to be able to snap a Merc's neck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom