• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Starfield be delayed?

Will Starfield be delayed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I was reading one of threads about Starfield and I had a thought... could it be delayed?

I mean, it's not like development issues haven't delayed game releases before, and it's possible Bethesda could want a bit more time to add polish.

Then again, how unlikely would it be to announce a delay so close to release?

Would it destroy a ton of goodwill?

The question, therefore, is as much COULD we see a delay as it is SHOULD we see one if it's necessary?

Of course, if it needs more time, you might say... unfortunately, we all know that rarely happens and we constantly see stuff pushed out a year too soon.

Anyway, what say you, Gaffers?

saintjules

If there's another delay for this game, I hope they don't announce a date until they are fairly certain they can hit the target. I always felt like that was Cyberpunk's mistake.

Last edited:

small_law

If they need more time, they need to take it. Not a Star Citizen amount of time, more like spring or even fall 2024. I'd be okay with that.

What's up with these really overblown copium threads when it comes to Starfield? Why do people keep thinking its delayed? Over an hour of gameplay was shown 2 months ago. THe game is also being shown privately behind the scenes at gamescom and it's releasing in less than a month now. A delay would of already been announced by this point lol.

MiguelItUp

For the amount they're leaning into their marketing, a delay won't happen. We've seen WAY too much for them to suddenly be like, "Delay!" a month from release, lol.

Hudo

we're now less than a month to release. If they were to delay it again, they would've announced it by now. Marketing is also starting up everywhere. I think it is quite safe to assume that they're locked in now.

Dolomite

Why would it get delayed lol?
We saw an hr of gameplay, and it comes out in a month. No rumors of development hell and IGN has already played it

Topher

Gold Member
No GIF

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Not at this point. Game will go gold any day now. If a delay happened it would’ve been done by now.

Marketing is already being pumped out for it, and Xbox knows it is the only big holiday game for them. Even though Forza will likely sell more and have better reviews it won’t be looked at as their big game.

Last edited:

saintjules

If they need more time, they need to take it. Not a Star Citizen amount of time, more like spring or even fall 2024. I'd be okay with that.

I think Fall 2024 is a bit too far away after hyping it the way they have (ie. Starfield direct of that magnitude). Maybe Q2 2024? Even then that's far out.

But yeah, with the preload starting soon, I think they're ready.

Last edited:

T-Cake

If they miss Starfield launch this year, then the Xbox will not even see 2024.

gross over-exaggeration but I do love a bit of drama :D

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Very unlikely.
No, if the new date is close. A few weeks would not be a big deal.
The question, therefore, is as much COULD we see a delay as it is SHOULD we see one if it's necessary?
Depends on what the plan is. After Redfall would Microsoft learn and plan better ? I hope that yes they would delay it if needed.

As a thought experiment, I could see it happen, if Bethesda was a studio known for bug free releases. They are not. So it would surprise me if they do delay it. Sadly with Armored Core 6 coming just before it Starfield will have to wait a little. I think that it will be Armored Core 6 then Starfield then Spiderman 2 for me. But if the game is buggy or needs patchs, I may play Spiderman 2 first.

Dolomite

Not at this point. Game will go gold any day now. If a delay happened it would’ve been done by now.

Marketing is already being pumped out for it, and Xbox knows it is the only big holiday game for them. Even though Forza will likely sell more and have better reviews it won’t be looked at as their big game.
Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

M.W.

Delay it until they can make a locked 60fps work on console. Thanks, Todd.

Last edited:
I am reading this thread as a completely hypothetical scenario, so let me think here.

It's very close to the release, and we've even had threads about downloading the game, so I would say there's no indication, at the moment, that they will delay it. Besides indications, I believe it would reflect very poorly on those involved to delay a game like this; many negative news would arise.

I also read that the game might already be ready, and Microsoft gave more time to polish it. Of course, it could just be fanboys' propaganda, hoping that Microsoft's management will make the studios better than they were before the acquisition.

Considering everything Bethesda has released in the last 10 years, I'd say the game will probably need some time to receive updates and become adequate.

So my conclusion is that it won't receive a delay, but it would probably benefit the game if it did.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Absolutely not. My gut tells me they learned from their mistakes choosing to be light on the marketing and letting the game speak for itself upon release. In fact I think either a dev or a journalist with a review copy tweeted something along those lines.

Hudo

So, I was reading one of threads about Starfield and I had a thought... could it be delayed?

I mean, it's not like development issues haven't delayed game releases before, and it's possible Bethesda could want a bit more time to add polish.

Of course, if it needs more time, you might say... unfortunately, we all know that rarely happens and we constantly see stuff pushed out a year too soon.

Anyway, what say you, Gaffers?
You sure you didn't actually mean Star Citizen? Common mistake.

Dolomite

Keep in mind with Xbox game pass Horizon 5 did ludacris numbers. Plus it’s on steam as well.

I think people sleep on this franchise. At this point it might be Xbox’s most successful franchise they have?
I love Forza. Imo the definitive racing experience in performance and graphics.

Bethesda RPG's are like GTA though. Skyrim still doing numbers 12 yrs later

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It's not going to be delayed. We, us rats, will all be gloriously engrossed in space RPGing this September.

Starfield will not be delayed. It will release on time even if it has known bugs, and let’s face it, this is a Bethesda game so no matter how polished they claim it is, it will still have tons of bugs because of that ancient Gamebryo engine they are still using.

Astray

Gold Member
The lack of marketing is shocking, but I willll say about this what I said about Redfall: they should release it and if it's good but flawed they can fix it, if not then cut the spending on it and divert the staff to the next project asap.

There is zero sense in constantly delaying a product that is fundamentally playable just to reach a nebulous standard that the dev team can't feel out in advance. Release it, feel the vibes and act accordingly.

Malio

I bet it has been done for quite a while and they’ve been testing the hell out it. That would be the smart play. But yea…Bethesda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom