• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Only thing the world needed was Wuhan style lock down (it was hard to take in, but needed) , which I repeated multiple times almost 2 years ago … in the end I was right .. to bad lives can’t be revived like in games , economies can … it’s actually sad how blind lots of people are for the reality that’s unfolding right before them …
Wouldn't have worked. Think about Delta. One guy in India was unlucky enough to have some random mutation during his Covid infection. From that one guy it spread to the entire world in maybe 6 months.

sinnergy

Wouldn't have worked. Think about Delta. One guy in India was unlucky enough to have some random mutation during his Covid infection. From that one guy it spread to the entire world in maybe 6 months.
Worked great for other countries , but whatever 😜😊 India didn’t lock down that hard either… it’s how you get mutations … so again ,. Whatever , you can’t change the past .. commissions around the world will point it out the coming years ..

And now we let it mutate in poor countries , like Africa , setting us up for fail (all for money) because we selfishly want booster shots .. in the end we are screwing our selves. Seems it’s hard for leaders to look past a couple of years , and not seeing the long term past 5 to 10 years .

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Southwest cancels more than 2,000 flights this week.

Southwest implements vaccine mandate 7 days ago.

Southwest promises the cancellations have nothing to do with the mandates.

Establishment media covers for them by lying to the American public.

Most of the country doesn't care that our media is essentially what Chinese State Media has been for decades.

ignorance_is_bliss_matrix.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Whats the real deal with SW Airlines? I've read contrasting things skimming articles.... strikes, bad weather, air traffic controllers having technical issues.

One reason why COVID keeps being around is because people can’t get the rapid test. Walgreens, cvs, rite aid, they all are severely limited on testing because of their fucking algorithms that say they can only do so much per hour. It has a massive impact.

poppabk

Most of the country doesn't care that our media is essentially what Chinese State Media has been for decades.

Err have you got any evidence to support your claim? How many cancellations did United have after their vaccine mandate went into effect?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

TheFarter

Banned

Didn't they blame it on weather? Odd the other airlines were able to fly during that same weather.

Is this industrial action or unvaccinated not coming to work?

poppabk

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The vaccine mandates don't even go into effect for like two months. Maybe you ought to stop reposting every facebook post your mom forwards you.
Which is no different to Southwest except their mandate went into effect later than Uniteds and so their case hasn't been heard yet. So again, why Southwest?

I guess it was the weather, military testing, and air traffic control issues among other things. It was crazy of me to question the establishment. Going back to watch MSNBC now...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I guess it was the weather, military testing, and air traffic control issues among other things. It was crazy of me to question the establishment. Going back to watch MSNBC now...
You're not crazy to question the establishment. There's many reasons to question the establishment.

However, when you do it as the default position without any evidence to support your opinion other than "I don't trust the establishment", you are just as gullible as those who unquestioningly follow CNN/FOX/MSNBC because you start with a preconceived position and then search for evidence to support it after the fact, which is the wrong way to go about it. By being so aggressively anti-establishment you are still very much beholden to it as it still influences your every thought.

The time to believe them is when there are sufficient justified reasons to. The time to not believe them is when there is sufficient justified reasons to. Starting off with a suspicion of the establishment narrative is fine, but when you don't have any substance to back up that suspicion, that should be your hint to rethink your strategy.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You're not crazy to question the establishment. There's many reasons to question the establishment.

However, when you do it as the default position without any evidence to support your opinion other than "I don't trust the establishment", you are just as gullible as those who unquestioningly follow CNN/FOX/MSNBC because you start with a preconceived position and then search for evidence to support it after the fact, which is the wrong way to go about it. By being so aggressively anti-establishment you are still very much beholden to it as it still influences your every thought.

The time to believe them is when there are sufficient justified reasons to. The time to not believe them is when there is sufficient justified reasons to. Starting off with a suspicion of the establishment narrative is fine, but when you don't have any substance to back up that suspicion, that should be your hint to rethink your strategy.

I disagree.

When someone lies to you for personal gain, 156+ times, the default gets set to "Do not trust this person."

The reason why I'm skeptical (you should be too) of this particular story is because vaccine mandates are OBVIOUSLY a political issue that benefit from marketing and good PR. Everyone knows there's a lot of uncertainty surrounding mandates and mass flight cancellations pushes much of that uncertainty towards "**** vaccine mandates".

The establishment no longer gets the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

Religious exemptions are gonna be harder to defend in court than medical exemptions.

Like, Christian Science people or Scientologists -- religions with clear anti-medical beliefs -- might be able to win them, but since 99% of the people requesting these exemptions are just dumbfucks with no real religious basis, and have already received other vaccines, it seems unlikely they're going to be able to establish a credible narrative for why this particular vaccine is traif. A friend showed me the exemption form from her hospital and it literally says "Please explain why your religion prohibits you from getting the Covid-19 vaccines but not other vaccines."

The vast majority of people claiming religious exemption are, frankly, lying. They know it has nothing to do with religion. So that's not gonna go over well with a judge.

Last edited:

poppabk

I disagree.

When someone lies to you for personal gain, 156+ times, the default gets set to "Do not trust this person."

The reason why I'm skeptical (you should be too) of this particular story is because vaccine mandates are OBVIOUSLY a political issue that benefit from marketing and good PR. Everyone knows there's a lot of uncertainty surrounding mandates and mass flight cancellations pushes much of that uncertainty towards "**** vaccine mandates".

So we trust the stellar record of the 'alternative' media?

I disagree.

Is this industrial action or unvaccinated not coming to work?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So we trust the stellar record of the 'alternative' media?

Odd. "Alternative media" sounds like a giant blob.

Common sense suggest we should trust (specific) sources who have a track record of credibility. That means some alternative media and not other alternative media.

Jen Psaki, CNN, The Daily Beasy...lul

SF Kosmo

A lot of industries are already stretched thin because of Coivd. Resignations and retirements have outpaced new recruiting and work forces have shrunk. It has nothing to do with vaccine mandates, at least not yet, since they haven't gone into effect.

I spoke to a friend who is an air traffic controller and they explained that their problem is that they shut down training for new ATCs during Covid so they haven't had anyone to replace who they lost. This COULD get worse if a lot of people quit over mandates but that hasn't happened yet.

Based on data from industries who HAVE enforced mandates, like healthcare, the number of people actually willing to quit their jobs over the vaccine is low, about 1-2%. But if course that can still matter when you're already short staffed.

SF Kosmo

Odd. "Alternative media" sounds like a giant blob.

Common sense suggest we should trust (specific) sources who have a track record of credibility. That means some alternative media and not other alternative media.

Jen Psaki, CNN, The Daily Beasy...lul
Better would be to understand how sourcing works and consider the content of the report itself. CNN has articles that feature excellent and thorough reporting and articles that are sloppy and poorly substantiated but if you read the article you can tell the difference...

In an era where media is increasingly partisan and less rigorous than ever, you cannot simply look at the top of the screen for a logo you like and assume absolute truth or absolute falsehood, that's an absurd way to process information.

I will make a distinction between real media with a partisan slant (things like CNN, Fox, or Daily Caller), and straight up misinformation media (Infowars, OANN, Steve Bannon's podcast) that deliberately make up bullshit to sell you dick pills and make you angry. You are probably okay to completely ignore those.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Better would be to understand how sourcing works and consider the content of the report itself. CNN has articles that feature excellent and thorough reporting and articles that are sloppy and poorly substantiated but if you read the article you can tell the difference...

In an era where media is increasingly partisan and less rigorous than ever, you cannot simply look at the top of the screen for a logo you like and assume absolute truth or absolute falsehood, that's an absurd way to process information.

Yes. In a perfect world we'd all have the time to dig into the validity of every story and every source.

CNN is responsible for what CNN publishes. The name gets tarred when enough stories are proven to be BS.

My violin for CNNs diminished reputation will stay in its case.

Facts don't come out when the audience demands them. But you knew that already right?

apparently they do when the audience doesn’t want to even try to figure them out

I am interested to hear your theories on what it could be so that we can talk about the plausibilties of them vs the news reports, is that something you have given any thought?

Nah dude. It's that storm that's only impacting one airline.

it wasn't impacting only one airline though, just disproportionately one

American Airlines has canceled 63 flights, or 2% of its operation, while Spirit Airlines canceled 32 flights, or 4% of its flights, according to FlightAware.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I am interested to hear your theories on what it could be so that we can talk about the plausibilties of them vs the news reports, is that something you have given any thought?

Theory: A percentage of the public abhors vaccine mandates. Those pushing vaccine mandates will lie so that fence sitters don't associate vaccine mandates with poor outcomes.

Theory: A percentage of the public abhors vaccine mandates. Those pushing vaccine mandates will lie so that fence sitters don't associate vaccine mandates with poor outcomes.

That's your theory for why MSM want to lie, but what about your theory on what caused the disruption in the first place?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Thats government for ya. Always lying and trying to trick people. Anything to save their skins.

Would be great if politicians were straight with people. Just like at work, the execs are pretty damn honest when it comes to company performance explaining to everyone on the conference call the real reasons. I know because I do lots of the finance and work with people close to know the reasons, and the execs are pretty spot on.

Of course, they could lie and sugarcoat things with bogus answers knowing most people will never be close enough to the real answers, but it's great to hear them lay the cards and say some brands are having issues and dropping in sales due to reasons xyz and why some are going up due to xyz. Of course they arent going to grill people and say it's this persons fault or anything, but if there were some production issues or we lost business because a retailer kacked some products, they are pretty open as to telling us.

And everyone is mature enough to understand that sometimes there's speedbumps the whole company has to work through to get back on track. Everyone does their best, but nobody goes around laughing or pointing fingers a person or department screwed up.

If only politicians learned that.

However, they are too afraid because they assume that will lose votes and confidence from the crowd. Maybe.

IMO, it you lay it all out you'll gain confidence. All it takes is someone at work to dig into the details to find the truth and suddenly they'll change opinions call the execs bullshitters.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
can you explain? because here in the UK if a union was responsible for industrial action not only would it be officially recorded but they would be shouting about such a win from the rooftops
Here in Ontario, veteran teachers get paid $100,000+ with giant pensions and they have no problem striking. They love it because they sit back and do nothing while the union leader does all the bargaining. Old school way too as they stand on sidewalks with signs. No shame either. They'll do it right before school starts so there can be times students have to stay home and parents have to figure out babysitting.

If they dont get a pay hike equal to or more than inflation, they strike.

Of course they never say that to the public. Their public statements are always about health and safety. But the real deal is actually wage hikes at the expense of students having their education delayed.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
can you explain? because here in the UK if a union was responsible for industrial action not only would it be officially recorded but they would be shouting about such a win from the rooftops

Is "industrial action" official policy changes? As in "We're now officially striking".

If so, there's been no industrial action as of yet. People in power are jockeying for position and buying time as usual.

But from my point of view it's looking like a duck, and walking like a duck. Maybe it'll start quacking like a duck over the next week or so.

Is "industrial action" official policy changes? As in "We're now officially striking".

If so, there's been no industrial action as of yet. People in power are jockeying for position and buying time as usual.

But from my point of view it's looking like a duck, and walking like a duck. Maybe it'll start quacking like a duck over the next week or so.

industrial action is the same as job action, in short hand it means previous negotiations have failed and all we have left is a strike

I am still not clear why the union would deny this, only to organise covertly…they really wouldn’t need to

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Or it's a response to the recent announcement. What sense would it make to wait? Durrr.

I don't even know what narrative you tinfoil hatters are trying to push here.

First it was that that an industry wide vaccine mandate that isn't even in effect was responsible for flight cancellations of one particular airline.

Now its that the union is covertly striking? That's not how strikes work.

None of this explains why it was only Southwest affected - the vaccine mandate is across all airlines.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Rogan mocked Olberman on his latest episode for that weird video he posted and today Olberman fired back at Rogan. Olberman posted that bizarre video again :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom