• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

FunkMiller

And it worked out as Covid really didn't have any crazy hold on me and certainly didn't cause any long-lasting damage, so it was certainly the right decision for myself. I'm mostly happy that my smell and taste are returning after a few weeks rather than a few months or a year, which I've been reading about. That would be a nightmare.

Did you even bother to think about what it might do to other people? Because you didn't get the vaccine, you were likely spreading the disease before you realised you had it and isolated (if you did that).

Did you even think of that? Or was it all just about how the virus affected you?

You literally say in your post that you walked around with it, not knowing you had it. You might have passed it to someone more vulnerable than you. Ever think of that? Ever think of the damage you could potentially do to other people, just because you couldn't be bothered to get a completely safe and effective vaccine jab?

Do you even begin to understand how selfish and self centred your attitude is?

Last edited:

Narasumas

I chilled the eff and I am letting live, don't be so melodramatic and you can stop with this weird backseat patrolling again.
Well it would be nice to have the thread not be full of pedantic bickering, and you know, be more positive and focus on the current state of affairs.

Glad you’ve decided to chill.

Clocecko

Banned
I chilled the eff and I am letting live, don't be so melodramatic and you can stop with this weird backseat patrolling again.

"the usual" huh? well i'll let that mask slip, er...slip

It's not simple and I've explained to you why, and there is a reason we can't agree with each other and I've explained to you why...to re-iterate, your decision-making took inputs of all the positives of the vaccine and the inputs of some people advocating it and came out that the latter completely negated the former. This is a correct interpretation of the decision you decided to come into this thread and proclaim?

Finding common ground doesn't just work from your perspective. Everyone has had to make the decision to take the vaccine or not, and the majority have either had different inputs to you or they have interpreted those inputs differently to you. And that's what I'm failing to understand.
You can explain all you want but because life doesn't go the way you feel it should go doesn't mean the way I feel it should be is wrong. Life isn't about 'you' or 'me' to feel comfortable within. We navigate it and hope for the best along the way - and to divide people based on a decision you disagree with is fundamentally against my way of thinking..based on fear of a virus that I've been through less than 2 weeks ago and made it through fine without getting others sick.

You choose to disagree and be combative and that's your choice which, while I said that's exactly what made me uncomfortable with the vaccines in the first place is how people are treating each other, you continue to do exactly that in hopes that it will magically make me agree with you while it's just solidifying my decision in that I made the right choice.

Clocecko

Banned
Did you even bother to think about what it might do to other people? Because you didn't get the vaccine, you were likely spreading the disease before you realised you had it and isolated (if you did that).

Did you even think of that? Or was it all just about how the virus affected you?

You literally say in your post that you walked around with it, not knowing you had it. You might have passed it to someone more vulnerable than you. Ever think of that? Ever think of the damage you could potentially do to other people, just because you couldn't be bothered to get a completely safe and effective vaccine jab?

Do you even begin to understand how selfish and self centred your attitude is?
I said I was around my girlfriend and we kissed, however, I'm glad you pointed that out considering you have no idea what my work environment is, who I'm around at all or anything. 'you' came up with a worst-case scenario in your head to try and make me feel awful based on knowing nothing about anything about me.

Now understand how self centered your post and attitude is...

You can explain all you want but because life doesn't go the way you feel it should go doesn't mean the way I feel it should be is wrong. Life isn't about 'you' or 'me' to feel comfortable within. We navigate it and hope for the best along the way - and to divide people based on a decision you disagree with is fundamentally against my way of thinking..based on fear of a virus that I've been through less than 2 weeks ago and made it through fine without getting others sick.

You choose to disagree and be combative and that's your choice which, while I said that's exactly what made me uncomfortable with the vaccines in the first place is how people are treating each other, you continue to do exactly that in hopes that it will magically make me agree with you while it's just solidifying my decision in that I made the right choice.

I'm not doing any of this to convert you, who you are doesn't bother me. But what I can do is hold you accountable to the words you decide you to use. And the fact you are failing to read mine is enough. I know you're not really comprehending it because dismissing my words by "life doesn't go the way you feel" means absolutely nothing. You've already made your anti-whatever bed, now just need a nice warm blanket of confirmation bias to top it off.

Clocecko

Banned
I'm not doing any of this to convert you, who you are doesn't bother me. But what I can do is hold you accountable to the words you decide you to use. And the fact you are failing to read mine is enough. I know you're not really comprehending it because dismissing my words by "life doesn't go the way you feel" means absolutely nothing. You've already made your anti-whatever bed, now just need a nice warm blanket of confirmation bias to top it off.
Again..more attacks and jabs based on nothing...this reply wasn't so bad, but so far..that's mostly been this strange back and forth.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I said I was around my girlfriend and we kissed, however, I'm glad you pointed that out considering you have no idea what my work environment is, who I'm around at all or anything. 'you' came up with a worst-case scenario in your head to try and make me feel awful based on knowing nothing about anything about me.

Now understand how self centered your post and attitude is...

So, in the period before establishing that you had covid, you didn't mix with any other human beings? You weren't around anybody? You were completely isolated and there was no chance whatsoever that you could have passed the virus on to someone else?

Because if you're going to tell me that, I'm not going to believe a word of it.

Here's the unlovely truth, that you can squirm about as much as you like, it won't make it any less true:

You took the decision to not have the covid vaccine based on erroneous information, and you chose to ignore all the verified facts about it. Therefore, you became more likely to catch and pass on covid, which is exactly what happened. And in doing so, you may have threatened the safety of other people more vulnerable than you.

You only thought of yourself, not of other people, when you took the decision not to get the vaccine.

It is as simple as that.

Cyberpunkd

I'm not anti-vaccine. I've taken many through my life, but as I explained in how people react and businesses reacted completely turned me off from wanting to be apart of that process so I decided that it wasn't something I wanted. I'm certainly anti-covid vaccination (for myself) I'm not going to talk other people out of it if it's what is right for them.
Getting sick to own the libs, eh?

Trouble is, its not quite so simple:

First question; How effective is the vaccine at preventing transmission as opposed to reducing negative outcomes?
Second; How robust is the vaccine in terms of handling variant strains and mutations. Because the widespread use of any medicine is a force of evolutionary pressure.
Third; No medicine is 100% safe, calculation needs to be made in terms of risk/benefit within cohorts. Especially with a virus as age/health sensitive in pathology as covid. Human error in administration needs to be factored into this.

The plain truth is that there are insufficient longitudinal studies to reveal if/any unexpected negative outcomes will result in the future. There's a strong case to be made that setting aside the issues of vaccine safety completely, that the widespread implementations of lockdowns is going to be result in horrific consequences for general physical and mental health in the long term.

In the future the question will, no doubt, be whether on balance the implementation of social controls was a good thing. I strongly suspect its going to be understood to be an error.

talking about now

the reason masks in general in the UK now carries the consequential weight of choosing a chocolate bar is because of the vaccine, if we didn't have the vaccine the wearing of them would have a very different consequential weight...the same with lockdowns, if we didn't have the vaccine then decisions would be made now for other drastic measures...all of this feeds into models used to make policy changes, and we know where do-nothing gets us

Clocecko

Banned
So, in the period before establishing that you had covid, you didn't mix with any other human beings? You weren't around anybody? You were completely isolated and there was no chance whatsoever that you could have passed the virus on to someone else?

Here's the unlovely truth, that you can squirm about as much as you like, it won't make it any less true:

You took the decision to not have the covid vaccine based on erroneous information, and you chose to ignore all the verified facts about it. Therefore, you became more likely to catch and pass on covid, which is exactly what happened. And in doing so, you may have threatened the safety of other people more vulnerable than you.

You only thought of yourself, not of other people, when you took the decision not to get the vaccine.

It is as simple as that.
Again, it's 'accept your idea of my reality' or it doesn't exist and you won't believe it.

This is great.

I said I was around my girlfriend and we were kissing, with her knowing that I was sick as she's the one that wanted to me to get tested in the first place. As her family (who I got Covid from) were around...all isolating. Her because she was exposed and them because they had it. My work environment is literally just me in 1 room for the entire night by myself.

So...please keep telling me my own reality.

Clocecko

Banned
Really now...

There is only one of you that only thinks of themselves between the two of you.
Me saying that people should make their choice based on what they feel is right for them based on the information they know be it vaccination or not is me thinking of myself?

Is this resetera and I just didn't know it?

Clocecko

Banned

It is as simple as that.
and you're making up the entire idea of why I didn't get vaccinated as it's not even something I've stated. I don't know anything about vaccines or what's in them or any information. I'd be a fool to say that I understood anything about them.

I didn't get the vaccination because it was being forced on by companies and people stopped talking to each other decently. I was originally going to get a vaccination until everything just started to creep me out. So it feels like I'm arguing with a bunch of bots that aren't even reading my replies and just have a circular way of replying to something that wasn't even said in the first place.

FunkMiller

Again, it's 'accept your idea of my reality' or it doesn't exist and you won't believe it.

This is great.

I said I was around my girlfriend and we were kissing, with her knowing that I was sick as she's the one that wanted to me to get tested in the first place. As her family (who I got Covid from) were around...all isolating. Her because she was exposed and them because they had it. My work environment is literally just me in 1 room for the entire night by myself.

So...please keep telling me my own reality.

Pathetic.

You know damn well you mixed with other people when you had Covid and you were unvaccinated. And just like every other anti vaxxer who comes in here to try and justify your selfishness, you can’t answer a straight question, and instead start blathering on about accepting my idea of reality, and feel like you’re talking to bots?

The reality is you couldn’t care less about anybody else’s welfare, and just like every other anti vaxxer, you’ll keep spouting the same old crap we’ve heard from so many others before you, before you either get banned or just leave.

Last edited:

Clocecko

Banned
Pathetic.

You know damn well you mixed with other people when you had Covid and you were unvaccinated. And just like every other anti vaxxer who comes in here to try and justify your selfishness, you can’t answer a straight question, and instead start blathering on about accepting my idea of reality, and feel like you’re talking to bots?

The reality is you couldn’t care less about anybody else’s welfare, and just like every other anti vaxxer, you’ll keep spouting the same old crap we’ve heard from so many others before you, before you either get banned or just leave.
I mean..literally none of that is true. So this is kind of amazing to read.

Last edited:

Clocecko

Banned
I guess that’s enough said
I never argued anything about the vaccines from the beginning or claimed to know anything about them. I literally gave my reasoning in the first or second reply as to why I didn't want them and explained that I'm not an anti-vaxxer, which you guys, for whatever reason, don't know how to argue outside of that idea.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
talking about now

the reason masks in general in the UK now carries the consequential weight of choosing a chocolate bar is because of the vaccine, if we didn't have the vaccine the wearing of them would have a very different consequential weight...the same with lockdowns, if we didn't have the vaccine then decisions would be made now for other drastic measures...all of this feeds into models used to make policy changes, and we know where do-nothing gets us

Have to disagree with that on the basis that masking has minimal benefit from a purely scientific measure. Secondly widespread lockdowns have an immunosuppressive effect on everyone without specific remediative efforts in terms of behaviour and diet.

The thing that concerns me the most though is the psychological impact in the long term. Psychology affects behaviour in unexpected ways, and frankly having terrorized the population for nearly 2 years I worry especially for youngsters. Speaking for myself I'm double vaxed and still mask up in public spaces despite the fact that I rationally understand that the cloth over my mouth and nose is a placebo.

That someone as hard-headed and rationally minded as myself has allowed himself to submit to this regime is pretty alarming to me, because it shows how intensely powerful the propaganda effort has been.

Me saying that people should make their choice based on what they feel is right for them based on the information they know be it vaccination or not is me thinking of myself?

You are not worth discussing this issue with. If you don't get the big picture by now after almost 2 years of this shit then you never will. It's not liberal vs conservative (or neogaf vs resetera) in vaccines outside of the USA, Its common sense vs nut jobs who can't understand what we need to do to go back to a semi normal society.

Clocecko

Banned
You are not worth discussing this issue with. If you don't get the big picture by now after almost 2 years of this shit then you never will. It's not liberal vs conservative (or neogaf vs resetera) in vaccines outside of the USA, Its common sense vs nut jobs who can't understand what we need to do to go back to a semi normal society.
again, you're arguing something that I never brought up. You're bringing these up for..whatever reason. I don't think I've brought political sides into this at all.

You guys are bringing up your own topics to argue with things I'm not even saying, and then acting like I brought these conversational points up to begin with to attack. It's crazy.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

I mean yes, you literally spelled it out. You may not care if we have increased lockdowns, or vaccine mandates seeing as you wouldn't really be effected, but most of us don't have that luxury. The fact that the possibility of vaccine mandates might be forced on people who go out to work was a strong factor in you not getting the vaccine even though you don't go out to work is just infuriating.

again, you're arguing something that I never brought up. You're bringing these up for..whatever reason. I don't think I've brought political sides into this at all.

You guys are bringing up your own topics to argue with things I'm not even saying, and then acting like I brought these conversational points up to begin with to attack. It's crazy.
Everyone knows what you mean by asking if this is Resetera. Don't play stupid.

Narasumas

Well that’s demeaning, something he’s not intending do in here. And I don’t think he is saying this is libs/cons so much as posters in here have boiled down a complex issue into a totalitarian & binary view of the issue. And apparently he’s on the other side of this binary view, so nothing he says can ever be valid.

QSD

I never argued anything about the vaccines from the beginning or claimed to know anything about them. I literally gave my reasoning in the first or second reply as to why I didn't want them and explained that I'm not an anti-vaxxer, which you guys, for whatever reason, don't know how to argue outside of that idea.
Don't mind these guys, they're generally patrolling the thread looking for vaccine hesitant people to preach to. Anyway, I think it's valuable for anyone to post their covid experiences here, we're all caught up in this crazy maelstrom so reading other people's experiences should theoretically help with understanding what's going on. I'd be interested to hear what this whole "give out 100$ in return for getting vaccinated" thing was, was that something that happened at the company you work for? If I understand you correctly it made you feel like you were bribing or manhandling people?

Cyberpunkd

Is this the only reasoning you guys can keep throwing attacks at when I've already said 3 times why I didn't get the vaccines were people talking and reacting like this?
Brady Bunch K GIF

poppabk

So does anyone have a good source for data on the newly approved vaccines for 5-11 year olds. Both my kids fall in that range, and I want to see the study data before I commit to signing them up for the shot.

QSD

I prefer the term pro-lockdown because it has very positive (pro) connotations
Well, some people in this very thread are claiming to be anti-pandemic. I don't really know how you can say that, maybe the best you can say is that you are anti-this-pandemic. What if there is a pandemic of spontaneous boob growth in women? Would they still be opposed? Besides, really we don't yet know the long term effects!

Narasumas

They stopped trials early because it was so effective?

Is that like “The one thing I don’t like about this vaccine is that it’s almost too effective”
Yeah that is strange. You’d think that since the emergency authorization / fast tracking has been an issue for some, they would want to have demonstrative, long term data on their product.

Either way, great news about the efficacy though. Could be a game changer.

QSD

Yeah that is strange. You’d think that since the emergency authorization / fast tracking has been an issue for some, they would want to have demonstrative, long term data on their product.

Either way, great news about the efficacy though. Could be a game changer.
I think that their reasoning is that if it's super effective than people should have access to it ASAP

What if there is a pandemic of spontaneous boob growth in women? Would they still be opposed? Besides, really we don't yet know the long term effects!

Yes because I’m not a horny teenager. I will stand by my claim of being anti-pandemic no matter the pandemic, and won’t need you to coddle me with variations of the term.

Hari Seldon

So does anyone have a good source for data on the newly approved vaccines for 5-11 year olds. Both my kids fall in that range, and I want to see the study data before I commit to signing them up for the shot.
I'm waiting a few months to see how shit plays out.

poppabk

They stopped trials early because it was so effective?

Is that like “The one thing I don’t like about this vaccine is that it’s almost too effective”
It's not uncommon in clinical trials. There is an ethical duty to the patients and if a treatment is very clearly effective then it is unfair to continue having people taking a sugar pill and dropping dead or whatever just because they were randomized into the placebo arm.

betrayal

Banned
Cheers to the EU for signing up to that clause

That's not the point at all.

Just that you want to have such conditions in a contract at such a time shows how the morals of the pharmaceutical industry are.

If a conspiracy theorist were to come along and claim that the vaccines have a deliberately low effectiveness and protection duration, then that would certainly not be a point that can be immediately ruled out nowadays.

Just that you want to have such conditions in a contract at such a time shows how the morals of the pharmaceutical industry are.

If a conspiracy theorist were to come along and claim that the vaccines have a deliberately low effectiveness and protection duration, then that would certainly not be a point that can be immediately ruled out nowadays.

that's what negotiations are for, and when a contract is signed both parties agree to the terms and it's up to both parties to effectively scrutinise the contracts before they are signed...if the EU wanted to give out the vaccines they should have had these clauses removed...they didn't

a company looking after its own interests makes no difference when the issue is a contractual partner binding itself to those interests in the first place, and this situation they find themselves is the fault of all signatories

the conspiracy theorist can think what they want about companies sabotaging their own product, that line of thinking is irrelevant as soon as the product has a buyer

poppabk

I mean there is literally no way there is a clause that says you can't give these vaccines to Africa because we make less money there. There may be a clause that says you can't give them away, but there is no way they needlessly list their motivation especially a purely profit driven one. Especially as it doesn't really make sense seeing as they presumably already got paid by the EU, so they would be getting more money if they sold to the EU as a middle man.

Last edited:

T8SC

Stop arguing constantly & try posting in other topics instead of just this one since you signed u.... annnd banned.

Nevermind.

south-park-its-gone.gif

betrayal

Banned
that's what negotiations are for, and when a contract is signed both parties agree to the terms and it's up to both parties to effectively scrutinise the contracts before they are signed...if the EU wanted to give out the vaccines they should have had these clauses removed...they didn't

a company looking after its own interests makes no difference when the issue is a contractual partner binding itself to those interests in the first place, and this situation they find themselves is the fault of all signatories

the conspiracy theorist can think what they want about companies sabotaging their own product, that line of thinking is irrelevant as soon as the product has a buyer

That's all true, but my point was not about the contract itself, but merely about morality. The EU has already paid for these vaccine doses and is not allowed to donate them without high compensation payments, because this goes against the (legitimate) revenue interests of the manufacturers.

I mean there is literally no way there is a clause that says you can't give these vaccines to Africa because we make less money there. There may be a clause that says you can't give them away, but there is no way they needlessly list their motivation especially a purely profit driven one. Especially as it doesn't really make sense seeing as they presumably already got paid by the EU, so they would be getting more money if they sold to the EU as a middle man.

The contract requires the EU to pay compensation to the manufacturer for each dose of vaccine that it wants to donate. Moderna in particular is demanding enormously high sums and is currently blocking the process.

BioNTech (Germany) and Pfizer have now agreed, but presumably only because of compensation payments that the EU will now pay.

That interests like the revenue market are the primary reasons has been spread by "industry insiders". However, compensation payments and a ban on donations without the consent of the manufacturers are clearly stated in the contract.

FunkMiller

Well that’s demeaning, something he’s not intending do in here. And I don’t think he is saying this is libs/cons so much as posters in here have boiled down a complex issue into a totalitarian & binary view of the issue. And apparently he’s on the other side of this binary view, so nothing he says can ever be valid.

Please look up what totalitarian means.

Nobody here is being 'totalitarian' or dictatorial. You, and your 'vaccine hesitant' buddies can freely come into this thread and express your 'vaccine hesitant' views.

But what you can't do is come in here and expect not to be hauled over the coals for having such a dumb ass opinion.

And yes, this is a clear and binary thing at this stage - with all the months that have gone by with us all having to cope with this stupid virus (a time extended by the 'vaccine hesitant'), and all the evidence and information we all have at our fingertips right now that's freely available, that clearly shows how safe and effective the vaccines are.

And here's the binary for you in clear English:

Had the vaccine? Sensible. Intelligent. Correct.

Refused to have the vaccine? Gullible. Selfish. Wrong.

Last edited:
That's all true, but my point was not about the contract itself, but merely about morality. The EU has already paid for these vaccine doses and is not allowed to donate them without high compensation payments, because this goes against the (legitimate) revenue interests of the manufacturers.

for sure, the dubious moral nature of corporations should never be a question...they are in the business of trying to get away with as much as they can (as well as the business of whatever they've officially put down on the company register) and it's their right to push themselves within the legal limits, this is a right that we as a population have given them

in this instance there was a check in the road to make sure they couldn't get away with whatever they wanted, and in this instance that check was asleep at the wheel

Last edited:

Narasumas

Not gonna lie…whether or not you disagreed with Clocecko or not, he should not have been banned for trying to defend himself from what was an initially, otherwise benign anecdote of his own COVID experiences and opinions. He was dogpiled and was goaded into the altercation and situation that everyone wished to see play out, and subsequently was banned so that the self-gratuitous could celebrate.

Top Bottom