• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

T8SC

You've already ignored everything to do with time from between 3rd and 4th doses, you're not interested in discussion. It's all you deserve.

Edit: English not my first language mate, but I know that such boring gotchas are all you can do this late in the day

British flag as avatar, but language is not native English ... you can see where my assumption came from.

As for everything between 3rd & 4th doses. Yes I expect we move heaven & earth for those 3 months, this first 24 must've been the Alpha stage.

British flag as avatar, but language is not native English ... you can see where my assumption came from.

As for everything between 3rd & 4th doses. Yes I expect we move heaven & earth for those 3 months, this first 24 must've been the Alpha stage.

What you expect is not borne out of reality, hence you just want people to entertain your imagination.

T8SC

What you expect is not borne out of reality, hence you just want people to entertain your imagination.

wtf_talking_about_wolf_of_wallstreet.gif

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Name me a single person who isn't advocating for people age 60+ getting vaccinated. Or overweight 50 years old who smoke and have diabetes.
You missed the point. L Loki is downplaying the need for under 50s to get a shot because COVID doesn't affect them as much as older people. However, that is looking at the situation with tunnel vision because you are ignoring the broader population based effects while only looking at the individual effects.

Encouraging older people to get vaccinated is good, but the vaccines aren't 100% effective. If you still have a large population of young people that act as reservoirs for the virus who also come into frequent contact with the older people, the older people will still be attacked much more often by the virus because of it.

It's math.

If the young people were vaccinated too, that large vector of potential disease is mitigated.

Cracklox

Jesus christ, I swear the longer it goes the more stupid this argument gets. Are you also for letting fascists and far-right demonstrate their views because of 'freedom'? Because I'm all for beating the shit out of them.

Ahh, yes. Labeling anyone who questions whats going on, or is wary of the official narrative a far right extremist. Where have I seen that before? Thats right, the msm and politicians in Australia labeling anyone at a protest like this

Lots of extremist familys, kids and grandparents it seems these days...

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I have a lot questions? Why are we still dealing with this? Did the spanish flu last for three years and 5+ waves? They didn't even have vaccines at all! Have our attempts to slow the spread prolonged the pain? Is this thing actually engineered in a way to make it worse over time?

I only have a BS in Biology, so I am no genius, but everything I was taught about viruses is that they tend to evolve into less deadly, more contagious, variants in order to maximize their "survival". Why does this one not follow that trend?

Why do scientists name these variants like they are Bond or Metal Gear Solid Villains?

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I have a lot questions? Why are we still dealing with this? Did the spanish flu last for three years and 5+ waves? They didn't even have vaccines at all! Have our attempts to slow the spread prolonged the pain? Is this thing actually engineered in a way to make it worse over time?

I only have a BS in Biology, so I am no genius, but everything I was taught about viruses is that they tend to evolve into less deadly, more contagious, variants in order to maximize their "survival". Why does this one not follow that trend?

Why do scientists name these variants like they are Bond or Metal Gear Solid Villains?
1. We're still dealing with this because it's a coronavirus. I bet you likely get a cold every year and that is a version of coronavirus. They all mutate and change. The difference is that this one is particularly deadly.
2. The Spanish flu is still around. So it's not 3 years. It's 103 years and counting.
3. I don't know if we're prolonging it. With how quickly we came out with vaccines we may have changed what variants propagated vs natural immunity responses.
4. No? Everything I've seen so far is that these variants are becoming weaker.
5. This one is following that trend. All reports thus far is that omicron is causing milder sickness at least in people who are fully vaccinated. The difference is that it has the ability to get around some of our protections but you're not winding up in a hospital on a ventilator. A lot of people are just getting a headache and the sniffles.
6. They're just using greek letters. Hell of a lot better than remembering if it's variant B.1.1.7 vs B.1.617.2.

That's exactly what's happening. And the new variant seems even less dangerous than before. Many independant epidemiologists (the ones that created fear in the first place) are saying it. But many are not happy about it so they create FUD whenever they can even if not warranted. We are talking about a market of billion of dollar that could disappear if the Covid becomes like a flu.

HoodWinked

That graph is meaningless. Unless the contention is that this strain has a drastically truncated incubation period!

Sorry but that appears to simply double-down on misconception that the date of the strain being sequenced equals its emergence into the population. That there are cases internationally shows that it has been around for awhile and it just went undetected.
That's an interesting point maybe the incubation could be shorter. I think I heard the mutations are in the spike proteins so maybe the proteins are better able to communicate with ace2 receptors but does it more noisily triggering the immune system earlier. Which would also then explain the milder symptoms since the virus wouldn't have gotten a deeper foothold.

Kilau

So I finally have my Moderna booster schedule for this Friday. I do wonder if it makes any difference though with Omicron or other variants.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yes? Does that mean you accept my logical syllogism? Because it doesn't sound like it from the rest of what you wrote.

edit: Is your point of contention the boosters specifically? You agree that COVID is more dangerous than the flu. You agree that a more robust vaccination policy is needed for COVID. You agree that double vaccination for everyone is sound policy for COVID.

But you don't agree that boosters are necessary in the aforementioned robust vaccination policy for COVID. Is that right?
T8SC T8SC Could you clarify please?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That's an interesting point maybe the incubation could be shorter. I think I heard the mutations are in the spike proteins so maybe the proteins are better able to communicate with ace2 receptors but does it more noisily triggering the immune system earlier. Which would also then explain the milder symptoms since the virus wouldn't have gotten a deeper foothold.

Nah, its just that this strain has been in circulation since the start of the month at least. I believe the first sample that's been sequenced as omicron was taken around the 9th in Botswana, so assuming a standard incubation period...

The prevailing view seems to be that this strain is optimized for transmissibility over everything else, which may paradoxically turn out to be a good thing if it displaces other strains that cause more serious illness. Its interesting, and not something you tend to think about, that all these different strains aren't allied together against us but are actively competing against each other in their own struggle for evolutionary supremacy.

Korranator

Jesus christ, I swear the longer it goes the more stupid this argument gets. Are you also for letting fascists and far-right demonstrate their views because of 'freedom'? Because I'm all for beating the shit out of them.

Fascists have nothing to do with freedom. They just want you to obey. Far-right? Really? You're tunnel vision is showing.

Freedom is not exclusive to the left or the right.

Last edited:

TheFarter

Banned
more people fall sick and if they are unvaccinated they end up in hospital or die.
Now i'm starting to understand. I've seen people in this thread say people are afraid/scared to get a shot. Looks like it's actually people might be afraid to die. Especially thinking like this. I guess when me and my family had covid, we were apart of some super duper small minority to not have to go to the hospital or die.

I guess I'm seeing that this could be some peoples thoughts. You get covid, you're done for. I must have Aaron Godgers blood or something! But now I'm starting to understand why some think everyone must get a shot. They think it's a done deal catching covid. Well, I digress.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I guess when me and my family had covid, we were apart of some super duper small minority to not have to go to the hospital or die.
No, you're in the majority if you catch COVID and don't go to the hospital or die. Most people who catch COVID survive. Even though only a small percentage of people get severely ill or die from COVID, it's still a large enough number that it becomes a problem that compromises our comfortable modern way of life.

A 1% chance of dying doesn't sound like a big deal to an individual (even though it actually is relatively dangerous). However, a 1% death rate applied to a population of 250 million people leads to the death of 2.5 million people. That is untenable.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Pharma company full of scientists: We made the vaccine to target X, now that the virus mutated to Y, we need a vaccine to target Y
Internet: He needs a bigger yacht

Where is that scientist / educating myself on the toilet pic?

You're talking to people who conveniently forget annual vaccines are a thing to fight new strains so that they can share new reductionist, braindead, and corny memes with one another on Facebook.

Kilau

Now i'm starting to understand. I've seen people in this thread say people are afraid/scared to get a shot. Looks like it's actually people might be afraid to die. Especially thinking like this. I guess when me and my family had covid, we were apart of some super duper small minority to not have to go to the hospital or die.

I guess I'm seeing that this could be some peoples thoughts. You get covid, you're done for. I must have Aaron Godgers blood or something! But now I'm starting to understand why some think everyone must get a shot. They think it's a done deal catching covid. Well, I digress.
My doctor told me, you just don't know how you will react to the virus. Could be mild, severe, hospitalization or death. Vaccine seems to help prevent the last two based on data so that's why we got vaccinated.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Well the past two years my family has been all over the US on vacations to beaches, lakes, theme parks like Disney world a few times. All taking precautions but having fun. No covid…

Kids go back to school for a few months and got covid from school where they are forced to wear masks and other “precautions”. There is 8 kids out from there class including them now.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
How is this new variant spreading if only vaccinated people can fly?
Mother of my daughter's best friend had COVID in a house of 4, she was the only one vaccinated. They all had to stay home for 2 weeks, no one else got it even though she kept living her normal life, kissing her kids before going to bed, sharing meals with them etc..

Such is life, full of mysteries!

Last edited:
Well the past two years my family has been all over the US on vacations to beaches, lakes, theme parks like Disney world a few times. All taking precautions but having fun. No covid…

Kids go back to school for a few months and got covid from school where they are forced to wear masks and other “precautions”. There is 8 kids out from there class including them now.

Did they have symptoms and then got tested, or is there testing at school and they tested positive?

Cyberpunkd

Weak attempt, especially given all the numbers and hospitalisations and deaths these past 18 months. I’m waiting for ‘it’s just a flu bro’ argument.

It’s like people are unable to imagine something else happening to other people.

Were you somehow under the impression that vaccinated people can't get sick?

We don't know the circumstances of the cases. If they were tested due to travel or if they were symptomatic or if they were vaccinated/unvaccinated but victims of community spread. So while some can be breakthrough symptomatic (sick) cases, there's other ways for the virus to spread and people to test positive.

Yes.

So this really isn't ever going to end then?

It'll probably be at least endemic if we as a population end up having and maintaining some immunity to it. Eventually it'll be just the elderly and vulnerable getting vaccinated for variants. That might take a year or so, it might take generations. For now we just have to check its progress month by month, year by year.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It'll probably be at least endemic if we as a population end up having and maintaining some immunity to it. Eventually it'll be just the elderly and vulnerable getting vaccinated for variants. That might take a year or so, it might take generations. For now we just have to check its progress month by month, year by year.

Yes, people need to realize this is still classified as emerging.

Don't be triggered Dream-Knife Dream-Knife , it's a brand new virus that has found itself going round the world incredibly quickly. We are better equipped to track it and we have better weapons to combat it than we did even a year ago. This time last year the UK was in lockdown, not so right now. That might change of course but I'll take these small wins for now.

Cyberpunkd

Link between number of new contaminations vs. number of people that received at least one dose in France - see if you can spot the correlation:

FunkMiller

Link between number of new contaminations vs. number of people that received at least one dose in France - see if you can spot the correlation:

Nope. The vaccines do nothing.

Because they don’t stop 100% of people getting the virus, they don’t work at all. I don’t care what evidence you show me, I’m not going to believe that the vaccine help against covid, because I am scared to get a jab a defender of my freedoms.

(just thought I’d fill in for some of our other posters on here to save them the trouble of answering. Call it my good deed for the day).

Erebus

Weak attempt, especially given all the numbers and hospitalisations and deaths these past 18 months. I’m waiting for ‘it’s just a flu bro’ argument.

It’s like people are unable to imagine something else happening to other people.
Except it is exactly like a flu for the majority of people.

Narasumas

Nope. The vaccines do nothing.

Because they don’t stop 100% of people getting the virus, they don’t work at all. I don’t care what evidence you show me, I’m not going to believe that the vaccine help against covid, because I am scared to get a jab a defender of my freedoms.

(just thought I’d fill in for some of our other posters on here to save them the trouble of answering. Call it my good deed for the day).

mLbFxHK.gif

Erebus

Too bad it still leaves minority filling the hospitals to the detriment of all other diseases e.g. cancer. But hey, tough luck?

Best Wishes Dancing GIF
And that's where the vaccines come into the equation. For the minority that is mostly affected like we do for years for the seasonal flu. But hey, you're free to take as many doses as you want and enjoy the "freedoms" that come with it.

Last edited:

Il de France has no higher infection ration with a lower vaccination rate.
The south west has a higher vaccination rate, yet a higher infection rate.
The south east has a lower vaccination rate and higher case rate because its next to the south of Germany. You know where is the biggest wave of covid yet.

It's regional.
Just like in Germany.

Top Bottom