• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What? You're cool with basically euthanasia by lottery just so you can feel "safe"?
Welcome to life - everything has risk and we as a society accept certain risks of death or serious injury in everything.
I mean I am more cool with euthanasia by lottery with a death toll in the 100s than I am biological warfare with a death toll in the 100,000s.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Cant believe I get to use a Star Trek gif up in this shit.

Star Trek Spock GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Hari Seldon

It probably works. I’m getting it so I don’t get delta too.
Yeah good point. My buddy got his booster and it laid him low so I was figuring I would just wait until they have a womb combo that does both. But maybe I’ll just wait a bit longer for some real info on if the booster works for this new shit.

Safe & Effective. I can only image what we'll know in another 6 months.

U.S. COVID-19 Deaths in 2021 Surpass 2020 Total​

Without the element of surprise, without the same group of people who died from COVID in 2020 around to die again in 2021, and with multiple vaccines available.

The epidemiological relevance of the COVID-19-vaccinated population is increasing​

Tell me again how the unvaccinated are the real drivers of this pandemic.

Why don't you trust the experts?

Oh, at least it's official now.

At what point does everyone realize they've been sold out by their governments to pump the quarterly earnings of a pharmaceutical company?

FireFly

Not among most cohorts its not. That's the truth.

And seriously at a point when many countries are pushing for mandatory vaccinations by LAW. How on earth can a single death not be too many?

Also, since when does one person being unvaccinated equal the death of one or more vaccinated people? Do you not see how utterly insane that argument is? That presupposes not only 100% infection but apparently complete uselessness of vaccines at protecting someone from serious illness!
Are these countries pushing for mandatory vaccinations with the AstraZenica vaccine?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Are these countries pushing for mandatory vaccinations with the AstraZenica vaccine?

No, most likely with one of the mRNA types which have their own rare set of atypical responses, including pericarditis.

As I keep stressing, these incidents are extremely rare, however if 100% of a population is exposed to this (admittedly, very small) risk, you are condemning at least a few to suffer or die. This does not sit well with me ethically, especially given the much narrower risk/benefit calculation for cohorts with the least likelihood of serious illness from Covid.

Elysion

Banned
It seems increasingly likely at this point that Covid can’t be extinguished and will stay with us forever, and that unless everyone’s getting a new vaccine/booster shot every few months (probably combined with regular lockdowns), that there will be several million additional people who will be dying every year from now on globally.

I wonder which country will be the first to say ‘fuck it’ and just put an end to the Covid restrictions, and decides to live with the additional deaths instead.

Cyberpunkd

I wonder which country will be the first to say ‘fuck it’ and just put an end to the Covid restrictions, and decides to live with the additional deaths instead.
Slippery slope - why not get rid of all the old or terminally ill? Why not let smokers die from lung cancer?

FireFly

It seems increasingly likely at this point that Covid can’t be extinguished and will stay with us forever, and that unless everyone’s getting a new vaccine/booster shot every few months (probably combined with regular lockdowns), that there will be several million additional people who will be dying every year from now on globally.

Lockdowns are only likely to happen if the hospitalisation rate becomes unsustainable, which is not a foregone conclusion given vaccination + natural immunity over time. I think countries are already deciding to live with the additional deaths, with different levels of contingency plans if things get especially bad.

As long as this is supported by the population, the situation will continue, since governing parties aim to do what will keep them in power.

I think countries are already deciding to live with the additional deaths, with different levels of contingency plans if things get especially bad.

yeah exactly, NZ realised a Covid-zero approach was untenable, UK hovered at around 200 a day in summer which has been as close to normal as this situation got

different states will eventually come to their own thresholds

Chaplain

"Hayley Hodgson, 26, moved to Darwin from Melbourne to escape the never-ending lockdowns — only to find herself locked up in a Covid Internment Camp without even having the virus. She’s just returned from a 14-day detention at Howard Springs, the 2000-capacity Covid camp outside Darwin to which regional Covid cases are transported by the authorities. In an exclusive interview with Freddie Sayers, she recounted her experiences." (12/2/21)

00:00 - 01:53 - Introduction
01:53 - 05:38 - How did Hayley end up in Howard Springs, Australia’s COVID camp?
05:38 - 07:18 - “Get in the COVID cab or get a $5,000 fine”
07:18 - 09:54 - Hayley arrives at Howard Springs
09:54 - 12:31 - Australia’s COVID camps threaten Hayley with a fine
12:31 - 13:04 - Hayley is offered Valium for the distress caused by the camp
13:04 - 14:45 - Hayley has lost her job because of her stay at Howard Springs
14:45 - 16:29 - What is happening to Australia?
16:29 - 18:31 - What’s next for Hayley after her stay at the COVID camp?
18:31 - 19:33 - Escape from Victoria: Inmates flee Howard Springs
19:33 - 20:16 - Concluding thoughts

HoodWinked

good insight on omicron on a podcast I listen to, seen alot of bits of information here and there but not all in one place. Basically seeing R0 can be between 7-20 (possibly even in immunized population)

timestamped to 13:38

Ellery

good insight on omicron on a podcast I listen to, seen alot of bits of information here and there but not all in one place. Basically seeing R0 can be between 7-20 (possibly even in immunized population)

Thanks for linking that. It is a good video with a lot of interesting relevant topics and it seems like those guys are pretty open minded and have different angles/perspectives on those things which allows multiple ways to look at things.
Omicron could be a "blessing in disguise" in that sense where it gets more transmissible and less severe. Also interesting to know about how many times those viruses mutate and how different they are from each other.

The guy with the train behind him is giving some really good info and then the others go 'it's a nothingburger' and 'MSM panic to create news' to appear the level headed champions going against the flow. One even says 'even more impotent then Delta' as if not all hospitals in the Western world are filled more then last year.

The guy with the train behind him is giving some really good info and then the others go 'it's a nothingburger' and 'MSM panic to create news' to appear the level headed champions going against the flow. One even says 'even more impotent then Delta' as if not all hospitals in the Western world are filled more then last year.

Ha, there's always one "lamestream media" nutter that either fails to understand or fails to engage with a particular situation so chooses to lash out definitively at nebulous entities they feel comfortable to criticise.

I dont know who these people are but my impression is that this podcast is money and investment focused and nothingburger guy is just a conservative who doesn't like his stocks doing anything but increasing. So rather than discuss omicron he'd rather focus on "institutions" manipulating his capital.

Last edited:

Belgorim

Is that true about the hospitals?

I mean, sure, cases are increasing, but at least here there were 5 times as many people in hospitals this time last year.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
All this reporting coming out of SA is a bit misleading for the rest of us… in countries with much higher vaccination rates, less anti-vax sentiment, far more delta strain and far higher prevalence of public immunity.

I do wish the media would highlight these things, but the scare factor is always best for clicks.

Omicron could very well be extremely serious... or it could get minced by delta the same way beta was.

Last edited:

QSD

Hey GA, interesting post, glad to see you back on the program

All this reporting coming out of SA is a bit misleading for the rest of us… in countries with much higher vaccination rates, less anti-vax sentiment, far more delta strain and far higher prevalence of public immunity.

I do wish the media would highlight these things, but the scare factor is always best for clicks.

Omicron could very well be extremely serious... or it could get minced by delta the same way beta was.

Haven't seen much in terms of Omikron having bad outcomes, it's still a possibility that it does less damage than delta, right?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Haven't seen much in terms of Omikron having bad outcomes, it's still a possibility that it does less damage than delta, right?

Quite possibly. We just don't have enough data yet in highly vaxxed nations with a large prevalence of the disease to say one way or the other. I'd imagine there will be some vaccine escape, but that they will still by and large be effective. All rather comes down to whether omicron is as serious a strain when confronted by immunity or not. The fact we're not seeing large amounts of fresh dead or dying unvaxxed people in SA yet is probably a good sign.

Getting my Moderna booster today, hoping it doesn't kick my ass like the second shot of the first round did. I was either dripping with sweat or freezing cold. The associated fever was fairly mild, but the body aches/chills etc. were worse than any flu I remember.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Getting my Moderna booster today, hoping it doesn't kick my ass like the second shot of the first round did. I was either dripping with sweat or freezing cold. The associated fever was fairly mild, but the body aches/chills etc. were worse than any flu I remember.

The only shot I had a reaction too was my first AZ, where I had hold and cold flushes for 24 hours and a really achy arm. You should hopefully be okay. Maybe the body gets more used to the vaccine as it goes along!

Cyberpunkd

Had all 3 shots of Moderna, absolutely zero side effects.

Xdrive05

My 2nd Pfizer jab resulted in the same side effects you had with your 2nd Moderna. I had a sustained fever (102-103 F) for about 18 hours. Along with that came chills, sweats, foggy-headedness and general discomfort all over. By about 24 hours later it was like nothing had happened at all, 100% back to normal. My very first Pfizer jab was absolutely no side effects at all. Not even arm soreness.

My Pfizer booster six months later was just a very slightly sore arm for about a half a day, and some relatively mild fatigue for one day. Hoping your booster was as mild as mine was.

HoodWinked

My 2nd Pfizer jab resulted in the same side effects you had with your 2nd Moderna. I had a sustained fever (102-103 F) for about 18 hours. Along with that came chills, sweats, foggy-headedness and general discomfort all over. By about 24 hours later it was like nothing had happened at all, 100% back to normal. My very first Pfizer jab was absolutely no side effects at all. Not even arm soreness.

My Pfizer booster six months later was just a very slightly sore arm for about a half a day, and some relatively mild fatigue for one day. Hoping your booster was as mild as mine was.
i wonder if there's a correlation with the severity of side effects and how severe someone may be affected if they had gotten Covid without being vaccinated. Essentially your body is performing a fire drill with the vaccine shot, thus might be a way to gauge how well you would have actually handled Covid. You might have gotten fucked while the the poster above that had no side effects could have been walking around asymptotic.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
got my Moderna booster yesterday and it’s been nothing like the 2nd dose. Sore arm and just kinda crud feeling versus being totally wiped out for over a day.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'd prepare for the same. My second shot and my booster of Pfizer were about the same level of ass kicking.

Top Bottom