• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

QSD

Whew! For a second we almost had good news. Good thing you swooped in with some doomsday news to keep morale down!

Debbie Downer Snl GIF

Don't smash the messenger, Hulk!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
+66% new cases, +43% weekly deaths.

As of significant degree, no, at least not yet, but deaths normally lag behind new cases waves.

We're talking about the UK, right?

Weekly deaths are not up 43% as far as I can tell...

Airola

Airola Airola
I didn't see one talking about deaths.

It's mentioned in both of the news updates, one from week ago and one from a couple of days ago.

I'll try if Google Translate links work:

From 3rd of June (what a terrible Google translated headline "Korona told..." :D It should be "Corona stormed" or something like that)

From 8th of June

The initial article written by the hospital was from 25th of May.

It seems they've just mentioned how many happened to die during the epidemic in the hospital, so all are not guaranteed to be due to covid, but the people who died did have covid and the hospital estimates that covid had a direct effect on 75% of who died (which would be around 12-13 people).

Loope

+66% new cases, +43% weekly deaths.

As of significant degree, no, at least not yet, but deaths normally lag behind new cases waves.
But the point of the vaccines is to avoid severe illness and consequent death. You're treating these new numbers as if no one is vaccinated.

llien

We're talking about the UK, right?

Weekly deaths are not up 43% as far as I can tell...
9e05gVH.png

But the point of the vaccines is to avoid severe illness and consequent death.
That's a twist, and no.
The point of vaccine is also to avoid the spread of infection. (and we have seen it work in Israel, which has ended lockdown weeks ago)

Last edited:

sinnergy

The Delta variant is still spreading because the UK panicked in January and gave everyone 1 shot and waits to long for the second, but this variation can still cause illness with 1 shot, meanwhile most countries are doing 2 shots, see that winning a sprint is not worth it. If I was Boris I would speed up the second shots and keep some kind of lock down .

Last edited:

llien

The Delta variant is still spreading because the UK panicked in January and gave everyone 1 shot and waits to long for the second, but this variation can still cause illness with 1 shot, meanwhile most countries are doing 2 shots, see that winning a sprint is not worth it. If I was Boris I would speed up the second shots and keep some kind of lock down .

UK has 42% with two jabs, 60% with at least one.
For comparison, Germany is only at 24%/47%

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
9e05gVH.png

That's a twist, and no.
The point of vaccine is also to avoid the spread of infection. (and we have seen it work in Israel, which has ended lockdown weeks ago)

Arbitrarily looking at 7-day periods seems kind of meaningless to me, especially since you'll have some days where a bunch of backlogged deaths are all reported at once.

I think it's better to look at the 7-day moving average, which has been fluctuating between 7 ~ 10 or so since the beginning of June, which is a downward trend compared to May, which showed a downward trend compared to April, etc.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyberpunkd

I firmly believe that in the U.K we are at the stage when we should fully unlock. More people are now dying of illnesses caused by, or worsened by, the lockdown. Our Covid death rate is in single figures. The vaccines are working, and we have to live with this disease for the rest of our lives. I was the strongest of lockdown advocates all the time the death and hospitalisation rates were high. They’re not anymore.
Hey, at least you are not crazy like Australians that order two week lockdown because of a single case in Melbourne.

In France we dropped below 5000 cases per day, a target set by the government and never really met so everyone just kinda ignored it. Close to 15mln people are fully vaccinated at this point, 30mln got at least one dose.

At this point vaccine is available to everyone, they will probably push it to 12-18 year olds really heavily at the end of summer in order to get to 80% coverage (because stupid adults sure as hell are not going to get us there).

i have my second jab on the 29th, then Covid passport for travel goes into effect mid July, we are going for holidays in August. We good boiz.

Last edited:

Loope

9e05gVH.png

That's a twist, and no.
No, i'm not trying to twist anything. But with vaccination, supposedly the death toll should be lower, way lower. It was one of the reasons they vaccinated the eldest first.

llien

But with vaccination, supposedly the death toll should be lower, way lower. It was one of the reasons they vaccinated the eldest first.
Of course it should be.
But it is a combination of lesser chances to get infected to begin with followed up with having easier times if still contracting the virus.

There were claims about "cannot die, if vaccinated" based on the 3rd phase study, which was, to put it softly, rather lacking in numbers for such bold claims.
And they also appeared to be false, see Finnish links on this very page.

That does not mean vaccines do not work. Just that "number of cases rising is ok" being a rather wrong take.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No, i'm not trying to twist anything. But with vaccination, supposedly the death toll should be lower, way lower. It was one of the reasons they vaccinated the eldest first.

The UK peaked at almost 2,000 deaths PER DAY and ~60 deaths in a week is still too high?

Loope

The UK peaked at almost 2,000 deaths PER DAY and ~60 deaths in a week is still too high?
No, i was responding to him because he said that there was an increase in infections and that the death usually lags behind, but with vaccination, the number of infections (even lagging behind) won't have the same output than before. Basically, yes, there is an increase in infections but the consequences won't be the same.

I’m lost.

Covid 19 = Wuhan
Indian = delta
Uk = ?
Brazil = ?
what about the double variant?

in japan I got email from workplace to get vaccinated, start from July 27, I’m under 40.

Chile is gonna enter full lockdown again, looks like the Chinese vaccine offer little protection after first shot and some after second… will need 4th or even 5 shots! 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Griffon

Remember me from the other thread?
I took my first Pfizer jab last Friday.

It gave me cold chills on the neck/head and light diarrhea on the first day. Then arm pain the following days. And I still feel like shit today, very tired and tight neck/head.

I have no comorbity whatsoever (had some check up recently, I'm as healthy as can be). This shit is wack, I never had any side-effect from any vaccine ever, and I never missed my jabs.

I got largely better a week later. But since last week end, I've been feeling weak, and my heart feeling kind of funny. And now I'm still not getting any better. I think I got really fucked by this. And now the news of heart inflamation are coming out... sounds like what I have right now...

Shit man... should I go rn to the hospital and get a checkup?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I got largely better a week later. But since last week end, I've been feeling weak, and my heart feeling kind of funny. And now I'm still not getting any better. I think I got really fucked by this. And now the news of heart inflamation are coming out... sounds like what I have right now...

Definitely get a check up just to be safe, man. Anything heart related even under normal circumstances warrants that, but especially since there are rumblings of potential side effects of the vaccine.

Griffon

Definitely get a check up just to be safe, man. Anything heart related even under normal circumstances warrants that, but especially since there are rumblings of potential side effects of the vaccine.
Yeah... I'm hesitant to go, afraid to catch some covid variant in a hospital. But I guess you're right...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah... I'm hesitant to go, afraid to catch some covid variant in a hospital. But I guess you're right...

Well, you should be more protected even with just one shot than none. Even if you don't go to the hospital, I would recommend you at least a phone call consultation. Don't want to fuck around with potential heart problems, especially if it's been more than a few days.

Last edited by a moderator:

llien

No, but number of new infections keeps climbing and if so, what is the "final game"?
Get people vaccinated first,then let most of them have "delta"?

This is some scary shit.

Contrast between UK and the rest of the Western world is also quite notable and needs explanation.

My wife and I are so, so done with all of it. We both work in government, and I work directly in unemployment and business services / job development. For the past 14 months I've worked with people everyday who are are absolutely broken and terrified. Everyday, crying on the phone or swearing me out "wheres my money" with a trembling voice. Just had an employer the other day break down in tears because if they cant find any workers by end of month , after 30 years of a very successful bussiness, theyll have to shut down for good.

Supposed to finally go back in the office next week, and just had a meeting today ...."woah woah woah, pump the breaks....maybe we wont." Four weeks in and everybody cant wait to get back to work......but a year later and its ALL about that COVID stockholm syndrome ...cannot express my level of pissed off....

/rant

Last edited:

segasonic

That strategy saved thousands of lives.

Dr.Morris79

I firmly believe that in the U.K we are at the stage when we should fully unlock. More people are now dying of illnesses caused by, or worsened by, the lockdown. Our Covid death rate is in single figures. The vaccines are working, and we have to live with this disease for the rest of our lives. I was the strongest of lockdown advocates all the time the death and hospitalisation rates were high. They’re not anymore.
We're now at a point where more people will die from undiagnosed illness than would probably have died from Covid 19

The local doctors in my area are still shut and will still only mainly do telephone consultations. You would be shocked if you knew just how many cancers are going undiagnosed..

As for surgery waiting lists, out the window

This country is fucked. It'll take years to catch up.

FunkMiller

Deleted.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

That’s terrible advice dude.

No it isn't. The chances are that he's read too much online about vaccine safety and is now understandably having a psychosomatic reaction because of it. It sounds from the other thread like he had a fairly decent reaction to the vaccine, which many people have as well, but I very much doubt anything else is happening. He's welcome to ignore me completely and go to the doctor if he feels he has serious symptoms (and having to pay for it if he's in America, I guess?) but my advice would be to just chill out. Pfizer is very safe. They all are.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
No it isn't. The chances are that he's read too much online about vaccine safety and is now understandably having a psychosomatic reaction because of it. It sounds from the other thread like he had a fairly decent reaction to the vaccine, which many people have as well, but I very much doubt anything else is happening. He's welcome to ignore me completely and go to the doctor if he feels he has serious symptoms (and having to pay for it if he's in America, I guess?) but my advice would be to just chill out. Pfizer is very safe. They all are.

Sorry I was unaware you had personally done long term studies on the various vaccines. I could link bomb you with serious reactions people have had, or you could just acknowledge it was probably stupid to advise a random person about vaccine reactions. It’s only slightly relevant that you’re an arrogant little fucker. 👍

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Sorry I was unaware you had personally done long term studies on the various vaccines. I could link bomb you with serious reactions people have had, or you could just acknowledge it was probably stupid to advise a random person about vaccine reactions. It’s only slightly relevant that you’re an arrogant little fucker. 👍

And you're a rude, panicky fool who only reads headlines, spends too much time on social media, and doesn't bother to actually dig down into the evidence surrounding vaccine safety.

But hell, what's even the point at this stage? You've convinced yourself that the vaccines are dangerous because you've stumbled across a few very rare cases of people having adverse reactions (which happens with every single vaccine and other drug on the market) and nothing anyone else says will dissuade you from this viewpoint.

But to Griffon Griffon : ignore me, dude. Go see a doctor. The chances that you have anything wrong with you are vanishingly small, but if it will set your mind at rest, then I certainly shouldn't dissuade you from doing it.

FunkMiller

Front page of Yahoo! News of all places.

rouxYCp.png

Just to settle some nerves... It's a reported 789 cases of myocarditis/pericarditis among 150 million vaccinated Americans (but only 226 cases actually confirmed).

The age group where incidence is higher than normal is in the under 30s, hence the meeting. However, no firm link has been made between the vaccine and the condition at this time. Regardless, as you can see from those figures, the chances of suffering even mild myocarditis are incredibly, incredibly small.

Last edited:

QSD

Bret Weinstein's latest podcast is topical:

Dr. Robert Malone is the inventor of mRNA Vaccine technology. Mr. Steve Kirsch is a serial entrepreneur who has been researching adverse reactions to COVID vaccines. Dr. Bret Weinstein is an evolutionary biologist. Bret talks to Robert and Steve about the pandemic, treatment and the COVID vaccines.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
My wife and I are so, so done with all of it. We both work in government, and I work directly in unemployment and business services / job development. For the past 14 months I've worked with people everyday who are are absolutely broken and terrified. Everyday, crying on the phone or swearing me out "wheres my money" with a trembling voice. Just had an employer the other day break down in tears because if they cant find any workers by end of month , after 30 years of a very successful bussiness, theyll have to shut down for good.

Supposed to finally go back in the office next week, and just had a meeting today ...."woah woah woah, pump the breaks....maybe we wont." Four weeks in and everybody cant wait to get back to work......but a year later and its ALL about that COVID stockholm syndrome ...cannot express my level of pissed off....

/rant
“The nine worst words in the English language are, ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help.’”
-Ronald Reagan.

(I’m speaking of course of the idiotic decision to extend unemployment ad infinitum.)

There are some real geniuses in this thread that think all business owners have to do is double the hourly wage they’re offering and *poof*, there goes your hiring problem.

Last edited:

vpance

Bret Weinstein's latest podcast is topical:

Dr. Robert Malone is the inventor of mRNA Vaccine technology. Mr. Steve Kirsch is a serial entrepreneur who has been researching adverse reactions to COVID vaccines. Dr. Bret Weinstein is an evolutionary biologist. Bret talks to Robert and Steve about the pandemic, treatment and the COVID vaccines.

Really eye opening podcast here. Appreciate the behind the scenes insight Kirsch was dropping on the bureaucratic level. Trying to find some of the Tess Lawrie studies that he was referring to.

Last edited:

QSD

Really eye opening podcast here. Appreciate the behind the scenes insight Kirsch was dropping on the bureaucratic level. Trying to find some of the Tess Lawrie studies that he was referring to.

I'm not sure what to think yet, I haven't had time to fully digest it. The rather alarming looking graph they show at about 30 minutes in, it would seem to me that the simplest explanation of that is that the overall number of vaccinations in 2021 is far higher than in the previous years shown...?

When Bret and Steve talk it seems like every other person had some kind of freaky adverse reaction to the mRNA vaccines. That hasn't been my experience at all. In my immediate environment (family, friends, colleagues and clients) I only know of one person (out of say 60-70) that had a real adverse/allergic reaction (developed a serious rash all over). The clients in question are people with chronic psychiatric problems (assisted living), not usually the most healthy or resilient population due to the toxic load of some psychiatric medications, but zero adverse reactions there so far.

Other than that so far I'm slightly less frustrated now that I got AstraZeneca LOL

Last edited:
I'm not sure what to think yet, I haven't had time to fully digest it. The rather alarming looking graph they show at about 30 minutes in, it would seem to me that the simplest explanation of that is that the overall number of vaccinations in 2021 is far higher than in the previous years shown...?

When Bret and Steve talk it seems like every other person had some kind of freaky adverse reaction to the mRNA vaccines. That hasn't been my experience at all. In my immediate environment (family, friends, colleagues and clients) I only know of one person (out of say 60-70) that had a real adverse/allergic reaction (developed a serious rash all over). The clients in question are people with chronic psychiatric problems (assisted living), not usually the most healthy or resilient population due to the toxic load of some psychiatric medications, but zero adverse reactions there so far.

Other than that so far I'm slightly less frustrated now that I got AstraZeneca LOL
I am at the same place you are. It’s concerning (I got both Pfizer shots), but I haven’t been able to contextualize it yet. I do know my kids (both under 8) aren’t getting any of these shots right now. I’m a bit nervous about the moderate to long term effects. But I’ve had no issues to this point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom