• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Malcolm9

give us the deets (☞ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)☞
I just said it would be great if later down the line we had a stronger vaccination, where it would be an annual one rather than every few months. I also mentioned we have a decent immune system that will deal with most infections (this was in relation to the common cold & flu, not covid) but I do agree that people defined as vulnerable will need more help so vaccines are great in that respect.

Apparently saying this is spreading misinformation and being anti vax 🤷🏻‍♂️. Most of the time it's a few users who dog pile on you and state things you never actually said to cause the drama.

Last edited:

tommolb

interesting and a bit surprising to me :3
I head scratched at this one, thinking how on Earth are so many people catching it then?

I could buy the thought that it sat in the air in poorly ventilated environments and that's how lost of people caught it.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
NY may be plateauing
bh535JK.jpg

chromhound

I head scratched at this one, thinking how on Earth are so many people catching it then?

I could buy the thought that it sat in the air in poorly ventilated environments and that's how lost of people caught it.
Mask don't help that much (you need to wear 3 masks if i remember). You can also catch it thru your eyes

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
According to a recent poll, the majority of Americans support masks, social distancing, but oppose mandates, closing schools.

Even the majority of democrats are against closing schools. It’s very unpopular, which may be why a lot of people you wouldn’t expect have lately been coming out about getting kids back in the schools. Which probably makes people wonder which of our leaders are genuinely enacting policy to save lives and which are doing it to appease their constituents. Probably varies by the individual.

caffeware

Banned
I just said it would be great if later down the line we had a stronger vaccination, where it would be an annual one rather than every few months. I also mentioned we have a decent immune system that will deal with most infections (this was in relation to the common cold & flu, not covid) but I do agree that people defined as vulnerable will need more help so vaccines are great in that respect.

Apparently saying this is spreading misinformation and being anti vax 🤷🏻‍♂️. Most of the time it's a few users who dog pile on you and state things you never actually said to cause the drama.
natural immunity is no longer a thing. only vaccines work.™

Last edited:

sinnergy

Chinese sanitize spray everything.. just saying .. but they must be retarded .. right ..

Masks do help , but not 100%, the better the mask the more protection. Yuu can als catch it when rubbing the eyes , known for 2 years when it started in China . Also , they researched and found it floating in rooms , in door openings .. but they know jack shit .. good thing most researchers showed they have no clue , the past 2 years.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Leaked military documents show that Ivermectin works throughout all phases of infection and NIH is guilty of gain of function research.
"Ivermectin (identified as curative in April 2020) works throughout all phases of illness because it both inhibits viral replication and modulates the immune response."

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Leaked military documents show that Ivermectin works throughout all phases of infection and NIH is guilty of gain of function research.
"Ivermectin (identified as curative in April 2020) works throughout all phases of illness because it both inhibits viral replication and modulates the immune response."

Did you even read this? You'd think the fact that it was from ZeroHedge would be a huge red flag. The "leaked military documents" are e-mails from a single anti vaxxer marine who's just regurgitating every single COVID conspiracy theory. Not a single iota of proof or evidence is provided.

Last edited:

Why post something blatantly false, do you realize it hurts your credibility?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Did you even read this? You'd think the fact that it was from ZeroHedge would be a huge red flag. The "leaked military documents" are e-mails from a single anti vaxxer marine who's just regurgitating every single COVID conspiracy theory. Not a single iota of proof or evidence is provided.
Thats all project Veritas does now, just find some random guy in an organization and then publish whatever shit he says as some kind of secret scoop from an *agency* official. They have reached the "my friends, cousins, dad works for Nintendo and he told me.. " level of journalism.

daveonezero

Banned
Correlation does not equal causation. Minorities do not commit more crimes because they are minorities, but because of their socio-economic background. Poor whites commit more crimes than rich whites, do we abort white people now?

I feel both sides of the Atlantic are discovering the other side of the equation just now:

Europe: Wants to be US, just with EU social benefits
US: Wants to be EU, just with economic movement and personal independence of the US

Confused Thinking GIF
You completely missed that he wasn’t the original one making correlations and the sarcasm in this post.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Because I know that when I want to make life or death medical decisions I go to Zero Hedge.

This fucking thread man lol

Last edited:
Correlation does not equal causation. Minorities do not commit more crimes because they are minorities, but because of their socio-economic background. Poor whites commit more crimes than rich whites, do we abort white people now?

I feel both sides of the Atlantic are discovering the other side of the equation just now:

Europe: Wants to be US, just with EU social benefits
US: Wants to be EU, just with economic movement and personal independence of the US

Confused Thinking GIF
That's why I put poor in there too.
But why should one care about the causation if it prevents the crimes and danger to society?

No one does for covid either as age and comorbities are still the main causal drivers for hospitalisation and dead and not vaccination status.

And that's the point why the argument "mandates are okay, because of seat belts" is bad. Either one is valid on its own or it's not valid. Anything else doesn't matter, because you can argue for any shit like forced abortion to prevent crime and also a general reproductive policy like china for environmental reasons.

It's a fucking rabbit hole.
The only vaxx mandate that could even be slightly argued in favor for is the one against smallpox.

Because that shit was super deadly and dangerous to healty people and the vaccine was effective to combat it.

For covid neither of those two is true.
If the disease is dangerous and the vaccine great, people voluntarily take it. It's that simple.
Rabies vaccines are also some great stuff people gladly take when getting infected and bitten by a wild animal. The 99,9% CFR makes it happen.

Last edited:

Barath

Banned

You are spreading complete and total misinformation. None of that is backed by science or facts.

Barath

Banned
There's a big difference between covid shots and doing something that totally only affects that person's decision (like it's wintertime and not turning off and draining outside pipes).

If someone is stubborn and doesn't want to take care of the pipes and it screws up, only they feel the consequence. Nobody gives a shit if a homeowner has pipes burst because they are too lazy to spend 5 minutes doing it.

For covid it's different, governments and companies adjust their mask mandates, testing, travel protocols, vax checks and max capacities based on covid counts. The more people getting nailed, the more it makes them do lockdown policies. For example, Ontario is in lockdown mode again for a bit as covid cases skyrocketed the past month when it was going pretty good for months when daily covid counts dropped to lows.

The more people taking the vax, the fewer people get hit with adverse affects from covid, therefore covid counts drop and people getting critically ill drop too.

If anyone out there wants their freedom (like everyone does), doesn't want to take the vax, and as you say doesn't want to endanger others, then stay home and dont spread covid to others. Staying home also will help reduce getting it too.

However, the typical anti-vaxxer is more of a "I wanna do do what I want where I want", which means walking around town and keeping the covid count cycle going on and being higher than it should be if everyone did their part and got vaxxed. At least at that point, the general public has done what it can as a major first attempt.

Think if it like driving a car. The proper path is learn to drive, earn a driver's license through the city, and then get car insurance with your car. Most people do that. But then some people dont because they think they can wing it and drive assuming they'll never get in a car crash with someone and they'll never get pulled over by a cop.

Just man up and follow directions.

It's an amazing situation. Everything else related to medicine and crap you buy at the drug store, anti-vaxxers seem ok with it and never put up a fight in life. covid comes around the past 2 years, people are getting sick and dropping like flies (especially old people), government are known to adjust lockdown policies on covid cases, and somehow covid vax is this once in a lifetime medical issue that is handpicked as worth fighting against.

Antivaxxer: Hey doc I got some issues
Doctor: Ok, lemme check you out. Seems like a case of high protein AHND v2 in your blood. Here's a prescription for your issue. I'm suggesting Merck fuckwad hemotosis-bumfuck extra oily ointment 40 mg.
Antivaxxer: Thanks doc
Antivaxxer: Hi pharmacist, my doctor prescribed for me a tube of bumfuck ointment in the 40 mg range
Pharmacist: Ok, here ya go. But have you ever used this before? Before you leave, I'd like to give you some pointers on application, frequency and side effects of use
Antivaxxer: Uhhh... thats ok, I got to go. Thanks!

Government: covid is here and there's free vax for all. Please sign up. Let's get covid cases down so we can open up lock downs
Antivaxxer: Why the hell would I trust Pfizer and Moderna vax? Seems like untrustworthy shit!
This is an amazing post and completely destroys anyone's argument about being anti covid vaccine.

We Trust our doctors when they have a diagnosis and then they prescribe treatment. We do not question it. We do not ask what chemicals are in the drug. We just take it because THEY are the experts on the subject. Plain and simple.

Yet with the covid vaccine we dont trust it because....reasons? Because its somehow political? Because all of a sudden big pharma is going to make money on it so it cant be trusted? Yet big Pharma is ALWAYS making money on every single fucking drug that doctors prescribe.

There is no argument here. None. Its just people being contrary for the purpose of being contrary. Thats it.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Because I know that when I want to make life or death medical decisions I go to Zero Hedge.

This fucking thread man lol
There was a thread on Twitter today that I think puts this kind of content re covid in proper context:

One thing about sites like zerohedge that is missed in that thread is that there are a lot of unsuspecting people who haven't gone deep enough to see the (ugly) contours and have an incredulous reaction to what they see as exaggeration, and dismiss via the ready-made caricatures that flatter how smart and righteous one can feel by slagging off "them". It's not wholly different from cable news or whatever but the level of poisoning the well against contrary info sets it apart and sets the stage for initiation into some lunatic fringe stuff (Alex Jones is just the most ridiculous and silly version of this)

betrayal

Banned
UK has been peaking for a few days and all numbers are going down despite Christmas and New Year. So it's exactly the same development as in South Africa. Seasonality and average age are therefore, obviously, not important factors. Ventilations have even reached a new low since October.

If this is not the case in other countries, and it doesn't look like it is in the U.S., France and Italy at the moment, the differences need to be investigated. This may have to do with the virus itself, or with the reporting system (is COVID only a secondary diagnosis in hospital or is the patient there because of COVID, etc.).

In any case, it is strange that the UK has rather few restrictions and yet has no increase in ventilator beds and only a minor increase in death rate, which is not ot even leading to excess mortality for that period of time (similar to South Africa).

DyrQ5U8.jpg
7SuSalt.jpg
SJrujqN.jpg

Chittagong

Gold Member
UK has been peaking for a few days and all numbers are going down despite Christmas and New Year. So it's exactly the same development as in South Africa. Seasonality and average age are therefore, obviously, not important factors. Ventilations have even reached a new low since October.

If this is not the case in other countries, and it doesn't look like it is in the U.S., France and Italy at the moment, the differences need to be investigated. This may have to do with the virus itself, or with the reporting system (is COVID only a secondary diagnosis in hospital or is the patient there because of COVID, etc.).

In any case, it is strange that the UK has rather few restrictions and yet has no increase in ventilator beds and only a minor increase in death rate, which is not ot even leading to excess mortality for that period of time (similar to South Africa).

DyrQ5U8.jpg
7SuSalt.jpg
SJrujqN.jpg

Looks like Boris’ massive gamble paid off, the absolute mad lad actually did it

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
We Trust our doctors when they have a diagnosis and then they prescribe treatment. We do not question it.

Really? My wife has been misdiagnosed so many times by different hospitals and doctors (mainly concerning tinnitus / hyperacusis) and once even almost died when they failed to identify a burst appendix (two doctors saying it was cramps, I took her to the emergency ward myself where we also had to wait for ages because they didn't realize what happened).

I know I know, anecdotal evidence and all that, but I see the same incompetence everywhere, even in vets.

"Do not question it". Sorry but I always will.

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
He let it mutate and circulate, great strategy for the future 🤣

Ok, then let's always lockdown immediately, no matter how dangerous the virus is.

And of course, the same must also apply to influenza viruses and other viruses, because it doesn't matter how dangerous they are.

People with a mental state like you are really insane and a much greater danger to people.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This is an amazing post and completely destroys anyone's argument about being anti covid vaccine.

We Trust our doctors when they have a diagnosis and then they prescribe treatment. We do not question it. We do not ask what chemicals are in the drug. We just take it because THEY are the experts on the subject. Plain and simple.

Yet with the covid vaccine we dont trust it because....reasons? Because its somehow political? Because all of a sudden big pharma is going to make money on it so it cant be trusted? Yet big Pharma is ALWAYS making money on every single fucking drug that doctors prescribe.

There is no argument here. None. Its just people being contrary for the purpose of being contrary. Thats it.

Politics, religion, entitlement, selfishness.

….think that’s about it.

betrayal

Banned

You don't need questionable "leaks" to show that ivermectin MAY have an effect. There are studies that at least point to correlations (this does not mean studies that directly investigated the effect with different doses of ivermectin and were partially retracted).

wfM1End.jpg

Source: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.03.26.21254377v1

b9rJI9s.jpg

Context: Onchocerciasis is treated with Ivermectin (see https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/onchocerciasis/treatment.html etc.) and "APOC countries" used ivermectin very aggressively.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7968425/

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Looks like Boris’ massive gamble paid off, the absolute mad lad actually did it

If you were actually following the science, the result was not surprising at all.

The irony being that the strongest argument that the trajectory of Omicron in the UK would be radically different from that in SA would be that mass vaccination actually resolves to a worse outcome.

As I wrote earlier the view that the average population age in SA being younger as a potential confounding factor always struck me as dubious because (1)Omicron was seen to be infecting all age groups without prejudice, and (2) the older average age in the UK should be considered as an indication of higher baseline quality of healthcare and nutrition across the population.

You don't need questionable "leaks" to show that ivermectin MAY have an effect. There are studies that at least point to correlations (this does not mean studies that directly investigated the effect with different doses of ivermectin and were partially retracted).

Context: Onchocerciasis is treated with Ivermectin (see https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/onchocerciasis/treatment.html etc.) and "APOC countries" used ivermectin very aggressively.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7968425/
If you don't have parasites in your body there is no point in taking ivermectin. This also compares populations which have been taking a low, safe dose for many years to countries who don't. Unless you have a time machine to go back to 2010 and tell your self to take an ivermectin pill every six months you cannot replicate the effects of such a program by taking 10 years of pills all at once.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Sorry off-topic but what was the actual diagnosis? Curious because I also suffer from tinnitus.

The problems started when my wife was in India for work, she got food poisoning, and the doctor that visited her in her hotel gave her an overdose of antibiotics. Apparently that can be a trigger for tinnitus.

There's is not much that can be done, except prevent loud noises; wear earplugs in the movie theatre, and she has these pills (acetylcysteine) that soldiers also preventively take in war zones to prevent ear damage, and it helps but it's not a cure.

In the beginning I also put ambient sounds on in the bedroom to help her sleep (birds, wind , water) and even tried with pink noise... but we never found an actual cure. The hyperacusis is a lot better, and the tinnitus... I guess she got used to it after a while...

I know she found a lot of support and understanding on a forum, I think it was https://www.tinnitustalk.com

Hope this helps if even just a little, take care dude.

plushyp

The problems started when my wife was in India for work, she got food poisoning, and the doctor that visited her in her hotel gave her an overdose of antibiotics. Apparently that can be a trigger for tinnitus.

There's is not much that can be done, except prevent loud noises; wear earplugs in the movie theatre, and she has these pills (acetylcysteine) that soldiers also preventively take in war zones to prevent ear damage, and it helps but it's not a cure.

In the beginning I also put ambient sounds on in the bedroom to help her sleep (birds, wind , water) and even tried with pink noise... but we never found an actual cure. The hyperacusis is a lot better, and the tinnitus... I guess she got used to it after a while...

I know she found a lot of support and understanding on a forum, I think it was https://www.tinnitustalk.com

Thanks a lot, this really helps.

Nobody_Important

Slightly misleading. The "fully vaccinated" label for those athletes will only last 90 days. After that they will need to get vaccinated. Also it has to be a documented case of Covid complete with medical records proving the diagnosis. So a player can't just lie and say they have had it in order to avoid getting vaccinated.

Kinda dumb, but at least they are making sure that the case has been documented and not just taking their word for it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Slightly misleading. The "fully vaccinated" label for those athletes will only last 90 days. After that they will need to get vaccinated. Also it has to be a documented case of Covid complete with medical records proving the diagnosis. So a player can't just lie and say they have had it in order to avoid getting vaccinated.

Kinda dumb, but at least they are making sure that the case has been documented and not just taking their word for it.
Even though there's stipulations, it's still pretty dumb IMO.

So if I get the annual flu bug, and am bedridden for a few days and recover, as long as a doctor agrees with what happened, I can be identified as vaxxed?

Nobody_Important

Even though there's stipulations, it's still pretty dumb IMO.

So if I get the annual flu bug, and am bedridden for a few days and recover, as long as a doctor agrees with what happened, I can be identified as vaxxed?
Yeah it's stupid, but it's the NCAA so that is par for the course for them.

They don't care if people get sick and die so long as they can have their games and their money.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

As a sufferer of chronic tinnitus for four years, she has my sympathy and empathy. Tinnitus Talk can be helpful... but also unhelpful if you read too many of the comments about how bad it can be. The success stories are worth a read though. Everything else she's doing is about right. Same as me.

It's a nightmare of a thing, with no cure, other than to eventually habituate. I haven't been able to do that as yet, but that maybe is as much about how stressful my life is, as it is the actual tinnitus.

plushyp plushyp - chuck me a private message if you want any advice. I am, very sadly, a fucking expert :messenger_loudly_crying:

*tinnitus thread hijack over*

Last edited:
Top Bottom