• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot Community

I loved Crash 1, Got it with my ps1 for xmas 97 and was such a great experience. For me as a 10 year old it was such a cool and harder experience coming from Mario and DK SNES games.

I will eventually get around to buying them all on PSN.

Tizoc

So for the new page-
How're the PSP Crash games far as Platformers go? Mind over Mutant is Vita compatible so I plan on getting it, but how's the first game?

1722.jpg

Nice~

I'd love for Sony to buy Crash off Activision and get Cerny and maybe Naughty Dog working on Crash 4 and a CTR game too. We need to tell Yoshida to do it.

RaikuHebi

Banned
So based off some of the good words in the other Crash thread, I've tried out Twinsanity. It's got references to older games which is nice. Also has funny dialogue. But it sure controls shit.

The game is hard but I think it is due to the controls, physics and camera that just suck. I'm a few levels in. The environments are of course quite bland, but I give the developers credit on this interesting Cortex/Crash dynamic. It sure is annoying and I'd prefer pure platforming with Cortex as the final enemy, but hey it mixes things up a bit so credit for that.

In terms of level types maybe I've misunderstood but it seems to be a mixture of narrow Crash and Mario 64 style levels with gems in this being like stars in Mario (multiple in each level). I've got 1 crystal though so don't know what that's about. Also kind of weird how each level transitions seamlessly into the next (I guess there will be a level select eventually?), although I suppose that is a plus in helping the pacing seem like an action game, definite Jak & Daxter influence.

I don't think I'll be able to continue with this, but I'll give it a shot.

Not being able to skip cutscenes is a disgrace. The dialogue is good as I mentioned before, but dying a lot means having to hear the same thing over and over and over.

Finally why did they change some of the sound effects? Some are exactly the same as traditional Crash (Uka Uka, apple collection, crate smashing, TNT) but some have been changed (Crash's spin, getting a life, getting a crystal). Very annoying, alongside the depressingly bad music.

One of the most telling things about the difference between a good and bad developer is how the PS1 Crash games look visually better than the PS2 ones.

Anyway I'd like to hear from others who've played Twinsanity?

We got Pandemonium on Steam a few days ago. I would like to see Crash on Steam.
Will never happen.

Thanks for reminding me of Pandemonium that's a game I haven't played since the PS1 days.

OP said:
Mark Cerny's pitch (around 2000/"Crash's first free-roaming outing)
Just noticed this and never knew about it before. What could have been...

Seik

Banned
Dat Nathan/Crash art, wow. :)

I loved the old Crash games, especially the original trilogy and CTR. Wrath of Cortex on Gamecube was nice too, but I never tried any of the games with his new design, for some reason, while it doesn't necessarily looks bad, I always hated it.

Gangxxter

Can't go wrong with Crash 2, or even 3. Both are available on PSN, but only the EU versions are Vita-compatible.
This. I think even better is to get the actual game discs from ebay (you'll get them for about $ 5.00 each) and play the games on a real PlayStation 1 or 2. Crash 2 has support for analog controls in the original version but apparently not in the PSN release (Crash 3 on PSN is fine though).

Or if you want to fully enjoy those beautiful graphics, play Crash Bandicoot with an emulator on PC. With all those graphics enhancements cranked up and in full 1080p it looks so gorgeous.
Speaking of which:

Jeez, I love those idle animations
iQq1QmtdgN327.gif
ifB8LnFK18yMa.gif

Crash Twinsanity is one of the games I've finished the most. It was nowhere near as good as the Naughty Dog games, but certainly the next best thing. Getting all the collectibles is annoying as anything, but the game gets better as it goes along. I found it better on my other playthroughs, once I knew what to do.

Where are you up to by the way?

RaikuHebi

Banned
Crash Twinsanity is one of the games I've finished the most. It was nowhere near as good as the Naughty Dog games, but certainly the next best thing. Getting all the collectibles is annoying as anything, but the game gets better as it goes along. I found it better on my other playthroughs, once I knew what to do.

Where are you up to by the way?
The bit with the tribesmen on the river.

Mileena

Banned
This. I think even better is to get the actual game discs from ebay (you'll get them for about $ 5.00 each) and play the games on a real PlayStation 1 or 2. Crash 2 has support for analog controls in the original version but apparently not in the PSN release (Crash 3 on PSN is fine though).

Or if you want to fully enjoy those beautiful graphics, play Crash Bandicoot with an emulator on PC. With all those graphics enhancements cranked up and in full 1080p it looks so gorgeous.
Speaking of which:

iQq1QmtdgN327.gif
ifB8LnFK18yMa.gif

is it 60fps on emulator? I think I should go that route as my PS3 is hooked up to a big plasma that PS1 doesn't look so nice on.

RaikuHebi

Banned
is it 60fps on emulator? I think I should go that route as my PS3 is hooked up to a big plasma that PS1 doesn't look so nice on.
Yes. The games look crystal clear on an emulator. And plus you can use gameshark codes to unlock the unused level in Crash 1 (the hardest in the game). It's set in the same theme as Slippery Climb and is called Stormy Ascent.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So based off some of the good words in the other Crash thread, I've tried out Twinsanity. It's got references to older games which is nice. Also has funny dialogue. But it sure controls shit.

The game is hard but I think it is due to the controls, physics and camera that just suck. I'm a few levels in. The environments are of course quite bland, but I give the developers credit on this interesting Cortex/Crash dynamic. It sure is annoying and I'd prefer pure platforming with Cortex as the final enemy, but hey it mixes things up a bit so credit for that.

In terms of level types maybe I've misunderstood but it seems to be a mixture of narrow Crash and Mario 64 style levels with gems in this being like stars in Mario (multiple in each level). I've got 1 crystal though so don't know what that's about. Also kind of weird how each level transitions seamlessly into the next (I guess there will be a level select eventually?), although I suppose that is a plus in helping the pacing seem like an action game, definite Jak & Daxter influence.

I don't think I'll be able to continue with this, but I'll give it a shot.

Not being able to skip cutscenes is a disgrace. The dialogue is good as I mentioned before, but dying a lot means having to hear the same thing over and over and over.

Finally why did they change some of the sound effects? Some are exactly the same as traditional Crash (Uka Uka, apple collection, crate smashing, TNT) but some have been changed (Crash's spin, getting a life, getting a crystal). Very annoying, alongside the depressingly bad music.

One of the most telling things about the difference between a good and bad developer is how the PS1 Crash games look visually better than the PS2 ones.

Will never happen.

Thanks for reminding me of Pandemonium that's a game I haven't played since the PS1 days.

Just noticed this and never knew about it before. What could have been...

The controls have some issues but I really don't think they're as bad as you're making it sound. More than manageable and I also don't really see how the game is particularly difficult until you've progressed a fair bit.

As for the Mario 64 comparison.....what? The game is very linear. Many areas do have some open areas but they're merely for optional exploration/optional gems to collect. You do not have to collect a single gem to beat the game. Just don't stray from the main path if you just want the classic style Crash platformer. It's just as linear as the original games and nothing like Mario 64 where exploration is a requirement. The game just gives you an option of exploring a bit if you want to collect all the gems. As for the crystals you just collect them as the story progresses.

If you're not enjoying the game early on I can't see why it would grow on you, unless it just takes you a while to adjust to the controls or something. It didn't for me. I loved the game when it came out and can still play it today and enjoy the hell out of it.

Gangxxter

Yes. The games look crystal clear on an emulator. And plus you can use gameshark codes to unlock the unused level in Crash 1 (the hardest in the game). It's set in the same theme as Slippery Climb and is called Stormy Ascent.
FPS must be limited to 25 (PAL) or 30 (NTSC) though because otherwise the game would run way too fast. Those old games are really frame rate dependent.
Nonetheless it feels very smooth though.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I loved Crash 1, Got it with my ps1 for xmas 97 and was such a great experience. For me as a 10 year old it was such a cool and harder experience coming from Mario and DK SNES games.

I will eventually get around to buying them all on PSN.

Crash 1 harder than 16 bit Mario and Donkey Kong Country? Now I've heard it all. The DKC games on SNES are particularly brutal. The difficulty of Crash 1 is nothing in comparison.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I'll give Twinsanity another go and see how I feel, at least the variety of challenges is enough to make it interesting. Each section within a level is a mini challenge in itself. I love that the enemy types and bosses from past Crashes are here, without them I would definitely give up already. The Mario 64 comparison was a little hasty, the very beginning of the game seems to suggest something like that but since then I've encountered nothing of the sort.

Good point re:FPS, I remember one time playing the game on an emulator and it ran way too fast.

Also was just browsing Bandepedia and I discovered something I never realised until now. The black and white enemies in Jungle Rollers and Rolling Stones are skunks!!! All this time I thought they were freaking snake-like creatures! (which is why I didn't get the skunk reference in Twinsanity).
Skunk1.jpg

haha what. the donkey kong games are easy to me and crash 1 is impossible with the d pad, I struggle so much

I first played crash warped on my cousins ps1 and was amazed and had so much fun.(I had N64 instead of PS1)

then I played 1,2,3 and tag racing from PS+ and was kicking myself at missing those games.

Crash for Smash ;)

RaikuHebi

Banned
then I played 1,2,3 and tag racing from PS+ and was kicking myself at missing those games.
I know that feeling except from the opposite perspective. I ended up getting all 120 stars on Mario 64 in 2004 on an emulator and based on Giantbomb's Quicklook of Ocarina of Time 3DS I'll need to play that at some time.

But sticking to Crash Bandicoot and on topic, which game is your favourite?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Speaking of which:

iQq1QmtdgN327.gif
ifB8LnFK18yMa.gif

Crash was a 4:3 game, so I'm pretty certain that you're stretching it.

Compare

Crash 1 harder than 16 bit Mario and Donkey Kong Country? Now I've heard it all. The DKC games on SNES are particularly brutal. The difficulty of Crash 1 is nothing in comparison.

Really??? I found DKC a lot easier than Crash. I found it easier to complete than Crash

DKC is my favourite out of the two.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Really??? I found DKC a lot easier than Crash. I found it easier to complete than Crash

DKC is my favourite out of the two.

I find this very, very, very strange. I mean it really isn't even close. To me this is like somebody saying Super Meat Boy is easier than Sonic Colours.

As somebody that never had a SNES and only played the DKC games for the first time a few years ago, I found them to be brutal. And check out my username. When I say a platformer was brutal for me I fucking mean it. Crash on the other hand has always been easy for me. It was when I was a kid and it is today. Yes even Crash 1. More challenging than the sequels but nothing particularly difficult. However I will say getting 100% on Crash 1 could be a bitch.

Tizoc

I can't believe I never bothered to use a Full Aku Aku mask to break the crates on the right side of stage 1...

Gangxxter

Crash was a 4:3 game, so I'm pretty certain that you're stretching it.

Compare
Indeed it's stretched. But personally I think it looks not worse than the correct aspect ratio. Actually it looks pretty good imho and if you don't know it, you hardly notice that it's stretched.

sn00zer

Just bought all the psx crashes and spyros on psn. deep in nostalgiacurrently. games are still tons of fun. think spyro has the edge as far as aging well

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just bought all the psx crashes and spyros on psn. deep in nostalgiacurrently. games are still tons of fun. think spyro has the edge as far as aging well

Good god no. Spyro is alright, but it has nothing on Crash in the platforming department. Spyro had a bigger exploration element, but Crash is far more focused, is the better platformer and has superior level design. The more straight forward platformers always hold up the best.

sn00zer

Good god no. Spyro is alright, but it has nothing on Crash in the platforming department. Spyro had a bigger exploration element, but Crash is far more focused, is the better platformer and has superior level design. The more straight forward platformers always hold up the best.

well spyro still seems like a unique experience to me. i like its openness

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
well spyro still seems like a unique experience to me. i like its openness

Yeah I think that's just it with me. I generally prefer my platformers to be more linear. With that said I do enjoy Spyro. I certainly enjoy it more than the likes of Mario 64 and other 3D platformers of that era. But yeah, the super linear and focused approach of the Crash games is definitely my preference.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Yeah I think that's just it with me. I generally prefer my platformers to be more linear. With that said I do enjoy Spyro. I certainly enjoy it more than the likes of Mario 64 and other 3D platformers of that era. But yeah, the super linear and focused approach of the Crash games is definitely my preference.
I'm with you there. Mario 64, Mario Galaxy 1 and Croc are the only free-roam 3D platformers I've ever completed. The rest I've tried but not got in to. Trying again with Spyro atm though and want to give Jak & Daxter another go.

And hell Mario Galaxy 1 is way more linear than Mario 64 so that only kind of half-counts. Croc I don't remember too well.

A game I've read is similar to Crash is Rayman 2, which I've only played a little bit of before because I assumed it was more like Mario 64.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Indeed it's stretched. But personally I think it looks not worse than the correct aspect ratio. Actually it looks pretty good imho and if you don't know it, you hardly notice that it's stretched.

I thought it was fairly noticeable but hey, to each his own. As long as you're enjoying it, keep on keeping on duder.

My very first PS1 game was Crash and I truly loved them during that time, haven't played any of them for a long time though until recently where I randomly got to play a Crash game for wii for 15 min time.

e7RzdG3.jpg

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Am I the only one that thought the only redeeming thing about Tag Team Racing was the platforming aspect? Absolutely hated the racing. Just awful. But I got some enjoyment out of the platforming part. And some of the minigames were fun.

BeberMan

Neo Member
How are Mind Over Mutant And Crash Of The Titans? I'm itching for a Bandicoot platformer but these seem totally different and not really fun.

TheOGB

Banned
How are Mind Over Mutant And Crash Of The Titans? I'm itching for a Bandicoot platformer but these seem totally different and not really fun.
They're quite alright, but you're not gonna have a good time if you expect PS1 platforming. They're more combat-oriented, but do have some run'n'jump puzzles and sections. Mind Over Mutant has more of it, but even that's a slightly different setup from Crash of the Titans. Both games, level-wise, are about traveling from one destination to another, beating up mutants along the way; While CotT has a bit more focus on moving forward and beating up what's in your way, MoM focuses more on how you get to your destination. CotT's levels are separate episodes all generally forward moving, while MoM has several "hub" environments with routes leading to each one; it's a bit more like Twinsanity in that regard. There is backtracking in MoM but it's not too bad imo, and they do set up warp points later in the game, but be aware of it.

In CotT, once you jack a Titan you usually use them to beat the shit out of other mutants and get past whatever is blocking your progress (whether that be a barrier, dangerous terrain, missing bridge, etc). Titans are more for brute forcing your way forward.
In MoM you can "pocket" a Titan for later, like powerups in NSMB or Super Mario 3D Land. Titans in this game are for much more than just punching stuff, and are very useful for traversal and solving environmental puzzles. Titans in this game can jump and level up, which you'll need to do to get around.

If you want a more platform-y kind of game, you might want to go with Mind over Mutant. Your mileage may vary, but I found them both enjoyable.

And unrelated but fuck the haters, there's nothing wrong with tribal tattoos. Crash interacts with tribes of natives several times since the first game, how the hell does it not make sense?

Top Bottom