• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot Community

Screenshots and/or specific examples of what you mean?

Native Fortress was one I think. The level was full of slippery slopes that sent you straight into flames and raising spike pillars.

You've got to be kidding me. I mean......wow. Just wow. Come on guys, back me up here. Even if you think the game can get quite hard you've got to admit those stages are not even close to difficult. At all. And lol at those stages being unfair. Even Doulder Dash where you're running towards the screen gives you more than enough time to see when you've got to jump. Get better skills and reflexes.

Even Twinsanity, which is a game I adore, is a game that has more "unfair" aspects to the level design. Much more actually. Crash 1 is a lot of things. Unfair it is not.

Boulder Dash was easy enough. Lost a life because I didn't jump far enough on those stone platforms right before the end of the level. Keep in mind though I've never played Crash Bandicoot 1 before, so this is a completely fresh experience to me, and the lack of the slide and body slam is awkward to get used to. And keep in mind that I've beat Crash Twinsanity 100% at least 4 times, because I'm familiar with it. I obviously didn't do it on the very first time I played on the game though, because I wasn't familiar with it.

But yeah, everyone here who played the game obviously did a flawless run of it the very first time they played it right?

And to the bolded, really?

Gangxxter

It might be the emulator but yesterday I tried Boulder Dash and I really had a bad time. It's really, really difficult because it's so unforgiving. Just make the slightest mistake and the boulder will crush you. In fact, if you don't constantly keep spinning (Crash moves a little bit faster while spinning) it's nearly impossible. I didn't remember the level that hard back in the PS1 days.

I need to try the original on an original PS2 again and see, if this is only an emulator thing.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Native Fortress was one I think. The level was full of slippery slopes that sent you straight into flames and raising spike pillars.

Boulder Dash was easy enough. Lost a life because I didn't jump far enough on those stone platforms right before the end of the level. Keep in mind though I've never played Crash Bandicoot 1 before, so this is a completely fresh experience to me, and the lack of the slide and body slam is awkward to get used to. And keep in mind that I've beat Crash Twinsanity 100% at least 4 times, because I'm familiar with it. I obviously didn't do it on the very first time I played on the game though, because I wasn't familiar with it.

But yeah, everyone here who played the game obviously did a flawless run of it the very first time they played it right?

And to the bolded, really?
Well I certainly did a flawless run of it my first time. I got the gem on my first attempt. A very memorable gaming moment for me. Pretty sure it was the only gem I managed to get on my first playthrough without replaying the stages. But that's not the point. I never said everyone has to play flawlessly on the first attempt. I said it's an easy stage. As you just pretty much agreed to when you said you only died on it once. If you're dying a lot on that easy early stage then you have a severe lack of skills. So yeah, get better skills. Don't blame the game or whine about it. What is it with gamers these days and not being willing to accept their own failures? Accept that you made a mistake and learn from it. Learn from it and do better next time.

And for the guy above, it's obviously an emulator problem. I didn't even know spinning made you go faster. You don't need to. The only time I spin in that stage is when I need to get the boxes.

RaikuHebi

Banned
You just needed to slide down until you saw the next thing, when near the edge slide the opposite way to make sure you don't fall. Nothing in the game was unfair at all.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
You just needed to slide down until you saw the next thing, when near the edge slide the opposite way to make sure you don't fall. Nothing in the game was unfair at all.

This is a pattern I notice all the time, and not just about Crash 1. With many platformers in general, gamers these days often refuse to accept that they made a mistake. It's easier to blame the game and call something unfair than it is to accept that they made a mistake.

Atruvius

This is a pattern I notice all the time, and not just about Crash 1. With many platformers in general, gamers these days often refuse to accept that they made a mistake. It's easier to blame the game and call something unfair than it is to accept that they made a mistake.

It doesn't help that the first Crash's controls kind of imprecise. Like, you keep your forward momentum for the duration of spin attack even if you've let go of the d-pad. In Crash 2 you stop moving the moment you let go of the d-pad. Haven't played NTSC version of Crash 1 but I'm sure it controls at least slightly better due to higher framerate.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It doesn't help that the first Crash's controls kind of imprecise. Like, you keep your forward momentum for the duration of spin attack even if you've let go of the d-pad. In Crash 2 you stop moving the moment you let go of the d-pad.

All I can tell you is that I've never had a problem with the controls. If what you say is true then I would say to just adjust to what the jump does like with any other platformer. Learn what the jump is going to do and time your jumps accordingly. I can land every single jump in the game flawlessly. If I can do that then they can't be that bad.

Atruvius

All I can tell you is that I've never had a problem with the controls. If what you say is true then I would say to just adjust to what the jump does like with any other platformer. Learn what the jump is going to do and time your jumps accordingly. I can land every single jump in the game flawlessly. If I can do that then they can't be that bad.

Well, you don't even have to be in air when doing the spin attack for the momentum to continue. Just run forward press square and let go of the d-pad and Crash will spin forwards and fall into a pit if you're unlucky.

That makes the game a lot more frustrating to play than if the spin didn't do that. Some months ago I was playing the last level of the first island, the wall level. There are those platforms you have to spin to be able to jump on them. I fell down to the bottom of the platforms countless of times because I would land on a tiny platform but Crash would just spin off it. Stopped playing Crash 1 and switched to Crash 3.

Well I certainly did a flawless run of it my first time. I got the gem on my first attempt. A very memorable gaming moment for me. Pretty sure it was the only gem I managed to get on my first playthrough without replaying the stages. But that's not the point. I never said everyone has to play flawlessly on the first attempt. I said it's an easy stage. As you just pretty much agreed to when you said you only died on it once. If you're dying a lot on that easy early stage then you have a severe lack of skills. So yeah, get better skills. Don't blame the game or whine about it. What is it with gamers these days and not being willing to accept their own failures? Accept that you made a mistake and learn from it. Learn from it and do better next time.

Are you kidding me? I wasn't born yesterday.
I love the fact that I'm struggling on a game I'm completely unfamiliar with that plays, in a way, completely different to its sequels, means that I have a severe lack of gaming skills. I never struggled with any of the other Crash games, save those motorbike sections from Crash 3 and the Water boss from The Wrath of Cortex, so it's not because I lack skill (I was one of the few people I knew back in the day who thought Tiny was easy as anything on Crash 2). I'm just unfamiliar with the game.

And again.

Have you played the PAL PSN versions of the Crash games? I have no idea if it's just my controller, but I'm finding it hard to aim jumps on Crash 2, but when I play it on the PS2 I'm fine with it.

RaikuHebi

Banned
It doesn't help that the first Crash's controls kind of imprecise. Like, you keep your forward momentum for the duration of spin attack even if you've let go of the d-pad. In Crash 2 you stop moving the moment you let go of the d-pad. Haven't played NTSC version of Crash 1 but I'm sure it controls at least slightly better due to higher framerate.
Nothing imprecise about that though. The player should realise that happens and adjust accordingly.

RaikuHebi

Banned
It can be hard for the player to adjust when they're already used to the pixel perfect controls of the later Crash games.
In that case of course.

But there's certainly nothing unfair about Crash's forward momentum when spinning. It's not random, he'll always travel the same distance. Imprecise would mean each spin would vary. Now THAT would be shitty.

GrayFoxPL

image.php

We need Zool&Crash double impact comeback game.

Spyro and Crash have seemed to be intertwined through their histories, so what do we think the odds are on Activision bringing Crash into Skylanders? Introduce him to a new generation.

Maybe it's possible to get the coloured gem required for it beforehand?

That's all I can assume.

I'm just a little defensive because one of my primary Gamer pet peeves is chastising people who find a game difficult. Different people have different experiences, film at eleven.

RaikuHebi

Banned
That's all I can assume.

I'm just a little defensive because one of my primary Gamer pet peeves is chastising people who find a game difficult. Different people have different experiences, film at eleven.
I agree with you. It's not like we didn't find it difficult back in the day. But it's just with practice comes perfection.

image.php

We need Zool&Crash double impact comeback game.

You know that's right!

I'd be fine with a straight up port of the Amiga versions of Zool 1 and 2 at this point (I'd probably prefer that than a HD remake to be honest).

Maybe it's possible to get the coloured gem required for it beforehand?

According to the Crash Bandicoot wiki you need to get the coloured gem from the last level to be able to get the gem from Lights Out needed to unlock the Boulder Dash gem path; both of those levels are after Boulder Dash.

RaikuHebi

Banned
You know that's right!

I'd be fine with a straight up port of the Amiga versions of Zool 1 and 2 at this point (I'd probably prefer that than a HD remake to be honest).

According to the Crash Bandicoot wiki you need to get the coloured gem from the last level to be able to get the gem from Lights Out needed to unlock the Boulder Dash gem path; both of those levels are after Boulder Dash.
In that case he must've mixed it up with the first boulder level, which I'm ashamed to say I can't remember the name of. Just checked...Boulders. Damn. I replay these regularly how can I not remember.

Gangxxter

Yeah I think we mixed up the names of the Boulders levels. I was also referring to the first Boulder level and not to Boulder Dash.

Btw, I fucking hate Toxic Waste -.- The normal rolling barrels are fine and dandy but when those bouncing barrels are coming, it's not funny anymore.
I was so close to get the gem only to be killed right before the end because I touched a barrel on the side while spinning away the last thug.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Yeah I think we mixed up the names of the Boulders levels. I was also referring to the first Boulder level and not to Boulder Dash.

Btw, I fucking hate Toxic Waste -.- The normal rolling barrels are fine and dandy but when those bouncing barrels are coming, it's not funny anymore.
I was so close to get the gem only to be killed right before the end because I touched a barrel on the side while spinning away the last thug.
Ahhh tell me about it, probably the 2nd hardest level of the game after Slippery Climb (not counting Stormy Ascent).

However I loved how unique the concept of Toxic Waste was, shame we only saw it used once. It made a brief return in Crash 2 of course (and it was truer to its influence as well lol).

Gangxxter

Ahhh tell me about it, probably the 2nd hardest level of the game after Slippery Climb (not counting Stormy Ascent).

However I loved how unique the concept of Toxic Waste was, shame we only saw it used once. It made a brief return in Crash 2 of course (and it was truer to its influence as well lol).
Huh, where?

Gangxxter

Haha, yeah I know that feel. You won't believe how many things you can spin away in Crash 2 and 3. I found out about some of them only 2-3 years ago as well:

- the logs thrown by the apes in Ruination/Road to Ruin
- the orbs which shrink you in Piston it away/Spaced Out
- the magic orbs which turn you into a frog thrown by the lab assistant wizards in Gee Wiz (Crash 3)

EDIT: and don't forget the bees in Bee-Having

RaikuHebi

Banned
Haha, yeah I know that feel. You won't believe how many things you can spin away in Crash 2 and 3. I found out about some of them only 2-3 years ago as well:

- the orbs which shrink you in Spaced Out
- the magic orbs which turn you into a frog thrown by the lab assistant wizards in Gee Wiz (Crash 3)
1e62151055c15fa77a0bcf18ee466798.gif

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Are you kidding me? I wasn't born yesterday.
I love the fact that I'm struggling on a game I'm completely unfamiliar with that plays, in a way, completely different to its sequels, means that I have a severe lack of gaming skills. I never struggled with any of the other Crash games, save those motorbike sections from Crash 3 and the Water boss from The Wrath of Cortex, so it's not because I lack skill (I was one of the few people I knew back in the day who thought Tiny was easy as anything on Crash 2). I'm just unfamiliar with the game.

And again.

Have you played the PAL PSN versions of the Crash games? I have no idea if it's just my controller, but I'm finding it hard to aim jumps on Crash 2, but when I play it on the PS2 I'm fine with it.
You're struggling because you're unfamiliar with the game. Ok. Then play it more and get better. Don't blame the game or call it unfair.

And yeah I have played the PAL versions. I am not American. I can aim my jumps just fine. Perhaps you simply need to adjust to it.

TheOGB

Banned

I love hiding in the red dirt and spinning bees away with Crash arm :lol

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

The only one of those I knew about was the bees. Pretty mind blowing stuff.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
CTRL+F'd all five pages and didn't see mention of it, but you all need to watch GARLANDTHEGREAT on youtube if you're in need of an expertly done 100% walkthrough.

Crash Bandicoot
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8935068D5EDA2FE5

Crash Bandicoot 2
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL44A162E964271F0C

Crash Bandicoot 3 ("105%')
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5C40EDFE32642F4B

His channel also has a lot of cool random Crash Bandicoot shit like cancelled incomplete levels, glitches, and the entire Crash 2 beta.

CTRL+F'd all five pages and didn't see mention of it, but you all need to watch GARLANDTHEGREAT on youtube if you're in need of an expertly done 100% walkthrough.

Crash Bandicoot
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8935068D5EDA2FE5

Crash Bandicoot 2
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL44A162E964271F0C

Crash Bandicoot 3 ("105%')
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5C40EDFE32642F4B

His channel also has a lot of cool random Crash Bandicoot shit like cancelled incomplete levels, glitches, and the entire Crash 2 beta.

Was thinking of posting these myself.
I've only ever seen the Crash 2 one, but that was really good.

And I think an Andy Gavin thing was posted a few pages back Spiegel, but it's a great read regardless.

Five

Banned

Finding out about some of this makes me mad. There's some inconsistency in the game, for sure. A few traps will kill you even if you're spinning, like any grounded trap (smashers, spears) and some projectiles (darts in Sphinxinator), and most fire attacks. Sometimes spinning can keep you from getting hurt (spike pillars in The Great Gate, spinning penguins in Snow Go). Sometimes spinning an attacking character will kill them (rolling monkeys, piranha plants) and sometimes it won't (spinning penguins again). I love the Crash games, but usually the safe bet was to not spin something that was attacking.

Also, yeah, retaining momentum in a spin on Crash 1 was just bad design. It's normally not a huge deal, but there are some places where it makes dying all too easy. For example, on Upstream, there are some small grassy platforms that you are supposed to jump to that have a box in the middle of them. If you spin right before landing and forget about the momentum, you'll pass through the box and slide right off. I forget about this almost every time I play the game.

Still, really good games that I love playing. For all the "bad" designs and mistakes, there's a lot of really cool and subtle things going on. For example, when you first wake up as Crash on the first level, and he does his spin animation, it shows you right away what to do about the crates that are right there. You probably try the X button first, which makes Crash jump, and then you basically have the whole game figured out already. There are lots of little teaching moments and subtle clues that they use to help you play better, which is important because of how innovative Crash 1 was as a 3D platformer.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I might as well join the surprising things you can do thing: (though these might be known to some extent)

* Crash 2: In the level Temple Ruins in order to get the box gem you need to get boxes from a secret entrance (that can be unlocked through one of the Sewer levels). However it's entirely possible to go through the normal entrance and make a big jump with spin or slide and land on the end of the secret path.

* In the same level (I just learned this yesterday on Youtube) you can get the Death Path's gem in a similar manner.

* In Crash 3 you can use the same trick in one of the Egyptian levels and go down the alternate path without having a purple gem.

* The above trick is also possible on the last level in the secret entrance (the firefly one) in Crash 2. You don't need the Death Path. Not to mention the two boxes you need are right at the end of that path anyway and no jump is required at the end of it.

* Crash 1 (I learned from Youtube) on level 2 you can get the gem path's boxes without having the green gem by using the level environment to jump upwards.

* Crash 1 first level box bridge. Entirely possible to automatically get these boxes by crossing it with Uka Uka's powers. Learned this from Youtube in the last few years.
* In Crash 2 you can skip the possom pits by jumping on the level environment on the side.

* In Crash 2 and 3 as soon as you get a gem it's permanently saved until you exit the level, so you can kill yourself after you get one to avoid a hard journey back, or in some cases to avoid a gem path all together.

* In Crash 3's race levels it's easier to go on a gem run with the time trial activated because if you fail you can quickly restart the level, rather than warp out and warp back in.

* I think but am not 100% certain that Checkpoints in Crash 1 don't count as boxes. Which if IIRC makes life easier because if you die after getting a checkpoint you have to exit the level and return if you're on a gem run.

Already confirmed to not be a skylander, ever.
Link to metro.co.uk interview
Thank god.

Banzai

I got one:

- In Crash 1, it's possible to do the first native level (Great Gate I think?) perfectly without the colored gem, by jumping on the edges of the level exit. It's hard, but I've managed to do it several times. Kinda useless, though, since it's much easier to just return later.

Five

Banned
* I think but am not 100% certain that Checkpoints in Crash 1 don't count as boxes. Which if IIRC makes life easier because if you die after getting a checkpoint you have to exit the level and return if you're on a gem run.

As best I remember, Crash 1 won't give you a gem if you've died at all in a level. It's not about box count. Even if you are able to backtrack from a checkpoint to get all the boxes before you (which is easy enough on N. Sanity Beach), it skips over the box count zone at level end like any other run with a death.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I got one:

- In Crash 1, it's possible to do the first native level (Great Gate I think?) perfectly without the colored gem, by jumping on the edges of the level exit. It's hard, but I've managed to do it several times. Kinda useless, though, since it's much easier to just return later.
Wow, thanks for this one.

Might as well add another that might be commonly known:
- The final level on island 1 in Crash 1 has a secret path that let's you skip a part of the level (and get loads of apples).

As best I remember, Crash 1 won't give you a gem if you've died at all in a level. It's not about box count. Even if you are able to backtrack from a checkpoint to get all the boxes before you (which is easy enough on N. Sanity Beach), it skips over the box count zone at level end like any other run with a death.
Oh of course I know that. What I meant was I don't think you need to get the checkpoints and you can still get a gem.

Banzai

The secret dinosaur-riding level in Crash 3 is probably not that secret anymore either, is it?
I don't think it had a gem or anything, so some people may have missed it. You get to it by letting a pterodactyl carry crash away in one of the triceratops levels. I'm a little ashamed to say I don't know the name of the level or which pterodactyl haha.

Gangxxter

* Crash 2: In the level Temple Ruins in order to get the box gem you need to get boxes from a secret entrance (that can be unlocked through one of the Sewer levels). However it's entirely possible to go through the normal entrance and make a big jump with spin or slide and land on the end of the secret path.

* In the same level (I just learned this yesterday on Youtube) you can get the Death Path's gem in a similar manner.

* In Crash 3 you can use the same trick in one of the Egyptian levels and go down the alternate path without having a purple gem.

* The above trick is also possible on the last level in the secret entrance (the firefly one) in Crash 2. You don't need the Death Path. Not to mention the two boxes you need are right at the end of that path anyway and no jump is required at the end of it.
Yeah, those shortcuts involve a trick called "Zig-zagging" which is used often by speedrunners. The trick is to rapidly alternate between left and right which makes Crash jump farther.

* Crash 1 first level box bridge. Entirely possible to automatically get these boxes by crossing it with Uka Uka's powers. Learned this from Youtube in the last few years.
His name is Aku Aku :p

* In Crash 3's race levels it's easier to go on a gem run with the time trial activated because if you fail you can quickly restart the level, rather than warp out and warp back in.
What, you can get a gem while on a time trial? Didn't know that!

Gotta try that out, sounds very useful.

No, it is possible to get the gem even if you've died, as long as you've died before hitting the first checkpoint (at least in the NTSC version). Haven't tried backtracking after hitting a checkpoint though.
If the above is really true (checkpoints are not needed for the gem) this would spare you the annoying process of exiting to the map and then reloading the level if you die on a gem run.

Top Bottom