• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot Community

RaikuHebi

Banned
First time I've heard of this zig-zagging! Must look into this and speed-runs a bit more.

Damn. At first I was going to write Aku Aku but I thought Uka Uka made more sense (it sounds more like his sound effect haha!).

The secret dinosaur-riding level in Crash 3 is probably not that secret anymore either, is it?
I don't think it had a gem or anything, so some people may have missed it. You get to it by letting a pterodactyl carry crash away in one of the triceratops levels. I'm a little ashamed to say I don't know the name of the level or which pterodactyl haha.
I actually didn't know about this until a few years ago. I think it only has a time trial run.

I figured out the Alien roadsign secret level all on my own though.

Gangxxter

* I think but am not 100% certain that Checkpoints in Crash 1 don't count as boxes. Which if IIRC makes life easier because if you die after getting a checkpoint you have to exit the level and return if you're on a gem run.
Just tried that out and no, it's not possible to skip the checkpoints, they are required for the gem.
Dying after hitting a checkpoint and then backtracking in order to break all boxes gives you no gem either.
I tested it on the NTSC version.

LAA

Not sure how people feel about it... but what was the general consensus on Crash Twinsanity?
I have vague memories of that game, but they were good ones and I think I quite enjoyed it, not sure if I completed it, a game I would gladly try at some point too.

Played all of the crashes pretty much, except the most of the portable ones, the mobile ones and...mutant ones... (What happened!?)

A game I really shudder to look at now is Spyro... what have they turned him into in Skylanders... Makes me feel sick to look at him honestly.
I feel its sad the game is doing well, just makes it less likely for Spyro to get his own game returning to his roots again.
A shame cause Spyro 1-3 are like... holy beloved games to me, ha ha, got them on my vita as soon as I could.

Does the Crystal glitch from Crash 2, where if you get a crystal and a game over, then finish another level and get the crystal for both, still work on Crash 3?

RaikuHebi

Banned
Not sure how people feel about it... but what was the general consensus on Crash Twinsanity?
I have vague memories of that game, but they were good ones and I think I quite enjoyed it, not sure if I completed it, a game I would gladly try at some point too.

I feel its sad the game is doing well, just makes it less likely for Spyro to get his own game returning to his roots again..
Funnily enough I just played my 2nd session of that game just now (from the river boats until the Totem Boss). And I certainly enjoyed it a lot better than the first time I played it last week. But what's made it even better is turning off the music in the options. God it's awful, nothing Crash about it at all. When I was getting chased by the tribesman I turned on Boulders from the original on Youtube. However the Totem boss music is kind of cool, though still I'm going to put on the BeeHive death run music from Crash 2 (since there is a Totem enemy in that level lol).

On the subject of Skylanders game doing well. The only reason is the gimmick. If idiotic Nintendo had done that for Pokemon then Skylanders wouldn't have SHIT on that market right now. They better be making up something like that for WiiU, they'd be crazy not to.

Does the Crystal glitch from Crash 2, where if you get a crystal and a game over, then finish another level and get the crystal for both, still work on Crash 3?
And I've learned another new thing.

rjc571

Banned
I might as well join the surprising things you can do thing: (though these might be known to some extent)

* Crash 2: In the level Temple Ruins in order to get the box gem you need to get boxes from a secret entrance (that can be unlocked through one of the Sewer levels). However it's entirely possible to go through the normal entrance and make a big jump with spin or slide and land on the end of the secret path.

* In the same level (I just learned this yesterday on Youtube) you can get the Death Path's gem in a similar manner.

* In Crash 3 you can use the same trick in one of the Egyptian levels and go down the alternate path without having a purple gem.

* The above trick is also possible on the last level in the secret entrance (the firefly one) in Crash 2. You don't need the Death Path. Not to mention the two boxes you need are right at the end of that path anyway and no jump is required at the end of it.

* Crash 1 (I learned from Youtube) on level 2 you can get the gem path's boxes without having the green gem by using the level environment to jump upwards.

* Crash 1 first level box bridge. Entirely possible to automatically get these boxes by crossing it with Uka Uka's powers. Learned this from Youtube in the last few years.
* In Crash 2 you can skip the possom pits by jumping on the level environment on the side.

* In Crash 2 and 3 as soon as you get a gem it's permanently saved until you exit the level, so you can kill yourself after you get one to avoid a hard journey back, or in some cases to avoid a gem path all together.

* In Crash 3's race levels it's easier to go on a gem run with the time trial activated because if you fail you can quickly restart the level, rather than warp out and warp back in.

* I think but am not 100% certain that Checkpoints in Crash 1 don't count as boxes. Which if IIRC makes life easier because if you die after getting a checkpoint you have to exit the level and return if you're on a gem run.

Thank god.

You forgot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDN3CBqnVxk

TheOGB

Banned
I spent hours during my first playthrough of Crash 2 trying to get the Red Gem that way, knowing full well that I'd access it through a later level. It was just too alluring.

I never succeeded until years later.

I spent hours during my first playthrough of Crash 2 trying to get the Red Gem that way, knowing full well that I'd access it through a later level. It was just too alluring.

I never succeeded until years later.

Same here.
Which was the snow level that had a crate off screen that you needed to bounce up to? Was it Cold Hard Crash?
Took me ages to finish that and get 100%.

Gangxxter

Funnily enough I just played my 2nd session of that game just now (from the river boats until the Totem Boss). And I certainly enjoyed it a lot better than the first time I played it last week. But what's made it even better is turning off the music in the options. God it's awful, nothing Crash about it at all.
I kinda liked the music of Twinsanity. Sure, it's not a "classic" Crash soundtrack, but it was something new and refreshing. Some of those tunes are also very catchy.

Am I the only one who doesn't find Slippery Climb in Crash 1 that difficult? I think it's not very hard, only long. The only hard parts are where you have to jump into those recesses in order to break the boxes and then drop down to those rotating platforms again. But that part is only occurs two times in the level.
Also: Road To Nowhere is way harder than The High Road.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I kinda liked the music of Twinsanity. Sure, it's not a "classic" Crash soundtrack, but it was something new and refreshing. Some of those tunes are also very catchy.

Am I the only one who doesn't find Slippery Climb in Crash 1 that difficult? I think it's not very hard, only long. The only hard parts are where you have to jump into those recesses in order to break the boxes and then drop down to those rotating platforms again. But that part is only occurs two times in the level.
I will not budge, Muziko Mutato's work is too good.

The hardest part of that level for me are platforms that move suddenly and the birds. What do you think of Stormy Ascent?

Banzai

Slippery Climb is alright, on my last replay I got the gem on the first try. I do remember hating it as a kid though. The level I usually have the most trouble with is Fumbling in the Dark. I don't know why, but the darkness just completely throws me off my game.

Road To Nowhere and High Road are actually my two favorite levels (next to Hog Ride). I love how you never have to stop running, it's all about how long you press X.

Gangxxter

What do you think of Stormy Ascent?
It's been a long time I've played this level, need to revisit it soon.

WTF, I just got the clear gem in Jaws Of Darkness but I only collected two Cortex tokens? oO Gotta watch a walkthrough on YouTube now, I really like to know where I missed the last Cortex token.
EDIT: ah, now I remember it, I blew up the last token with a TNT crate (I span a snake right into it).

I love Spiralmouth's work in Twinsanity, and their CTTR stuff was great too. It surprises me that they never got more popular; the song from the Worm Chase section (The Blue Danube) was used on that video from years ago with the Stormtrooper thrusting that was called "You can't watch this without laughing" or some variant, and it got millions of views. They have at least one album, with covers of songs including Spoonman, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', and Come Together.

I though Road to Nowhere was pretty easy. The hogs have an annoying hitbox though- they can hit you even when you're on the ropes at the sides.

Gangxxter

Is it possible to play stormy ascent?
Yes, use these Gameshark codes:

NTSC
D0011DB2 3404
80011DB0 0022

PAL
D0011DD2 3404
80011DD0 0022

More Gameshark codes: http://hpzr.proboards.com/thread/2186/crash-bandicoot-cheat-codes-ps1

Fun fact: Did you know that there is a screenshot of Stormy Ascent on the back cover of the PAL jewel case? Yet this level was not discovered until 2009.

EDIT: As a kid I thought that the hair in the token of Tawna is some kind of background and not part of her. Basically I saw Tawna like this for years:
fAx.jpg

rjc571

Banned
I love Spiralmouth's work in Twinsanity, and their CTTR stuff was great too. It surprises me that they never got more popular; the song from the Worm Chase section (The Blue Danube) was used on that video from years ago with the Stormtrooper thrusting that was called "You can't watch this without laughing" or some variant, and it got millions of views. They have at least one album, with covers of songs including Spoonman, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', and Come Together.

I though Road to Nowhere was pretty easy. The hogs have an annoying hitbox though- they can hit you even when you're on the ropes at the sides.

Yeah, they're extremely talented and their music is easily the best part of Twinsanity. It's catchy as hell and fits the game's zany tone perfectly. Anybody who can't recognize this is dead to the world.

Have you listened to the album they put out before they got into videogame music? It contains some amazing covers of classic songs, like Wanna Be Startin Somethin and Closer (the Nine Inch Nails song).

RaikuHebi

Banned
EDIT: As a kid I thought that the hair in the token of Tawna is some kind of background and not part of her. Basically I saw Tawna like this for years:
fAx.jpg
Same here. I discovered that in the last few years. But one I discovered last week was that the worms of Rolling Stones are actually SKUNKS?

the song from the Worm Chase section (The Blue Danube) was used on that video from years ago with the Stormtrooper thrusting that was called "You can't watch this without laughing" or some variant, and it got millions of views.
That song specifically made me mute the music in the options. I remember hearing it in that Stormtrooper video.

It reminds me of the Rayman Origins/Legends soundtracks in a way. So I'll give them that, they were ahead of their time assuming UbiSoft got the idea from TwinSanity. But it still annoys me and nowhere near puts me into the kind of elevated state the original music does.

Have you listened to the album they put out before they got into videogame music? It contains some amazing covers of classic songs, like Wanna Be Startin Somethin and Closer (the Nine Inch Nails song).
He actually wrote about the album, you obviously didn't read his whole post before replying :p.

rjc571

Banned
Same here. I discovered that in the last few years. But one I discovered last week was that the worms of Rolling Stones are actually SKUNKS?

That song specifically made me mute the music in the options. I remember hearing it in that Stormtrooper video.

It reminds me of the Rayman Origins/Legends soundtracks in a way. So I'll give them that, they were ahead of their time assuming UbiSoft got the idea from TwinSanity. But it still annoys me and nowhere near puts me into the kind of elevated state the original music does.

He actually wrote about the album, you obviously didn't read his whole post before replying :p.

ha ha derp, reading iz hard

Sullichin

Yes, use these Gameshark codes:

NTSC
D0011DB2 3404
80011DB0 0022

PAL
D0011DD2 3404
80011DD0 0022

More Gameshark codes: http://hpzr.proboards.com/thread/2186/crash-bandicoot-cheat-codes-ps1

Fun fact: Did you know that there is a screenshot of Stormy Ascent on the back cover of the PAL jewel case? Yet this level was not discovered until 2009.

fAx.jpg

Thanks!
And I didn't realize that was Tawna's hair until you posted that. lol

Gangxxter

What do you think of Stormy Ascent?
Just played it again and it is indeed brutal. A gem run really needs a lot of practice but I think a run with 4 lives is not that hard, if you try a few times.
Played halfway through the level now then I lost interest. Although It's brutal I never got that frustrating feeling that makes me want to smash my controller.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I will get murdered by coming into this thread and saying this, but Crash games never appealed to me as a kid. I tried playing the 1st one a couple of years ago but it didn't grab my attention. It felt dated, I dunno.

Gangxxter

I will get murdered by coming into this thread and saying this, but Crash games never appealed to me as a kid. I tried playing the 1st one a couple of years ago but it didn't grab my attention. It felt dated, I dunno.
Play Crash 2 or 3. They've aged way better than Crash 1.

Five

Banned
Spiralmouth music is so good. I'm down for wacky ass "zip zop zblblblbblblbl" music; Rayman Origins' Glou Glou never fails to put a smile on my face. But man, that cover of Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' was great, haha.

Agreed. I love music you can hum the tune from. The simplicity of early videogame music usually gave way to this since the games had to work a mean melody, but modern synths and orchestral arrangements have largely lost that. Spiralmouth's stuff, by contrast, is designed to be hummed due to its nature. Other good modern examples are choral orchestrations, like the Skyrim theme.

Anyway, pretty much all the different ringtones and alarms on my phone are themes from the early Crash games or Twinsanity. This morning, I awoke to Madame Amberly's Academy of Evil theme. My text tone is a single note from the TNT crate countdown, and my email alert is the Warped crystal-get sound.

fAx.jpg

I was embarrassingly old when I made the realization of what that icon was supposed to be. I thought it was some sort of a bear head a la Banjo on a yellow background. Most of the iconography in the ND Crash games is brilliant, but that one perplexed me.

TheOGB

Banned
I must be the only one who realized that was her hair here, lol.

Agreed. I love music you can hum the tune from. The simplicity of early videogame music usually gave way to this since the games had to work a mean melody, but modern synths and orchestral arrangements have largely lost that. Spiralmouth's stuff, by contrast, is designed to be hummed due to its nature. Other good modern examples are choral orchestrations, like the Skyrim theme.
I didn't even realize it but I was humming to a Twinsanity song while I read this. As soon as I finished the paragraph the song was over.
4tCIK.gif

Five

Banned
Maybe it's just me, but a couple of things look pretty off about that HD project. Crash seems to move more slowly than he should, especially through the air. And he's much less animated, barely swinging his arms and chest as he goes along. I wouldn't prioritize smooth graphics over getting the core movement and animation down.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I just discovered that it's possible to get all crystals and gems in Crash 2 yet while being on 99% completion. It's because I haven't unlocked the Road to Ruin secret entrance yet, using an above mentioned trick instead of doing it the proper way.

Maybe it's just me, but a couple of things look pretty off about that HD project. Crash seems to move more slowly than he should, especially through the air. And he's much less animated, barely swinging his arms and chest as he goes along. I wouldn't prioritize smooth graphics over getting the core movement and animation down.
Totally agree. But hey it's being built from the ground up so plenty of work to go I suppose. I'd much prefer if these designs were closer to Naughty Dog's art though.

RaikuHebi

Banned
So I just started a replay of CTR. First time playing it after quite a few years and I've never actually completed a replay of this game.

I've got up to the 4th area in like 2 hours. What an incredibly addictive and beautiful game. It was the Youtube videos of this guy that reviewed Crash games that made me go towards it, since he named CTR his best Crash game.Review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOBaOKvJV8U

I don't even feel like I'm playing a racer, a genre I'm usually not too fond of. But this, this is something else entirely. This is platform-racing.

I've been guilty of classing the Crash trilogy as separate from the racing game in the past, but it definitely deserves to be known as a Crash quadrilogy. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to consider it better than the pure platformers, but it's certainly one of the best game I've ever played. Why I haven't replayed it fully once over the years I don't know. I'm pretty sure I never 100%'d this as well.

One thing I love that I never noticed too much as a kid is how much the mis-en-scene of the tracks have past references to levels and enemies in the previous games. I also love the fact that bosses from past games return.

Gangxxter

Indeed, CTR is a great game and the best kart racer ever! Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed can go home, it's not even close to be as good as CTR (lack-lusting drifting mechanics, no jump button!!).

I'm pretty sure I never 100%'d this as well.
100 % is for noobs, 101 % is the Eel real deal ;)

TheOGB

Banned
...Nah dude, ASRT is up there. Different kind of game, no doubt, but it's pretty damn good too. It's just not GOAT like CTR.

Top Bottom