• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Curated Demos of Upcoming Games Are Coming to Game Pass

Zeroing

Banned
I will like to add to this "great" and "logical" thread that maybe we all should go outside for a bit.
You know, let MS and Sony fight each other, they do not need us.

Lognor

Banned
It’s a barebones reaction to take the Sony offer down a peg. This is just demos like we’ve seen forever but broadcast through a megaphone for PR.

Such a thing being part of Gamepass is a joke, truly.
Yep. They aped sony's idea but then improved upon it. Don't hate the game?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I thought you weren’t keen on unconfirmed information and rumors?

Oh I see, I see.

Friday Movie GIF

Batiman

Banned
I don't get you guys saying they are paid demos when they are included in Game Pass that I already own and then the game isn't going to cost me anything outside of Game Pass if I want to keep playing it

As compared to having to buy the highest tier of PS to gain access to demos of games I then have to buy if I like them

I just woke up and my system is not caffeinated yet but these 2 programs are not very similar imo
It’s not confusing. People just play dumb

Kacho

Are these demos for games that are already on Game Pass? I don't get what the draw is here. Seems DOA if they're locking demos behind a paywall.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Are these demos for games that are already on Game Pass? I don't get what the draw is here. Seems DOA if they're locking demos behind a paywall.

No, supposedly for games in development that haven't released yet. Primarily for indie devs to put demos out to gauge interest and get compensated for it.

Wow demos. My god, Xbox anouncements are so damned boring.

Sony has released banger after banger since PS5 came out.

How about you release some actual games, some cool games? Their gaming priorities are so whack. Either shitty coop multiplayer services type games, or long ass RPGs that will come out in 4 years.

What is MS' allergy to making some tight cool single player games, like Sony does, and kills doing it? Xbox games seem to be the mainstream McDonalds junk food of games.

Sony is just running rings around them.
Yikes! 😳

What an incredibly ironic take considering recent trends.

Shmunter

Devs get paid and it's optional for devs. Forcing devs and not paying them is subjectively worse.
2 + 2 = 5

Although I do like that you at least admitted it’s subjective. 1 step forward.

For a consumer facing side, all AAA being playable is Objectively superior to select demos.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Improved how? Some things will have a demo Vs Every AAA will be playable for minimum 2h?

Elaborate.
Did you not see my post earlier? BLOCKBUSTER titles are all that are PROMISED BY SONY to have trials, don't think because some random source came up with something Sony is going to overdo a promise. Once they state something they'll stick to it.

Shmunter

Did you not see my post earlier? BLOCKBUSTER titles are all that are PROMISED BY SONY to have trials, don't think because some random source came up with something Sony is going to overdo a promise. Once they state something they'll stick to it.
If their promised anything over $35 is mandated to have a 2h+ trial does not materialise then it’s all a moot point and a failure. No disagreement there.

Are we concerned they will be backtracking?

Three

Love how the narrative changed yet again once it is now confirmed to be paying subscribers only. Now it's 'it's not forced on devs'. Come the hell on. Even trying to draw some distinction between 'trials' and 'demos' when having absolutely no idea what this is even going to be.

What happened to all the bullshit about having to pay for demos and how this is just regular demos where you don't need a subscription?

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Love how the narrative changed yet again once it is now confirmed to be paying subscribers only. Now it's 'it's not forced on devs'. Come the hell on.

What happened to all the bullshit about having to pay for demos and how this is just regular demos where you don't need a subscription?
Can't we think it's lame, but also a better approach from ms to make it optional AND to pay devs? Makes sense to me...

Lognor

Banned
This is so ironic coming from people who don’t want to pay for games anymore. Amazing.
You're not proving any point. You just sound clueless. What does one have to do with the other? Maybe one you start trying to explain it you'll get how what you're saying makes no sense...

jaysius

Banned
If their promised anything over $35 is mandated to have a 2h+ trial does not materialise then it’s all a moot point and a failure. No disagreement there.

Are we concerned they will be backtracking?
People who think they're promising EVERY GAME OVER $35 when they've now STATED in their explanation of the perk as the games being described as "BLOCKBUSTERS" are going to be very let down, when only AAA and other titles like that will get this 2 hour trial.

If Sony had EVERY GAME over $35 they would have promoted the shit out of that point. Either that article was outdated, or draft data that didn't make it to the final cut, or the idea didn't fly with developers.

You know Sony isn't humble with ANYTHING. Saying "ALL GAMES OVER $35" would be their bullet point to SELL PEOPLE on premium subs rather than a vague "BLOCKBUSTER" wording.

There's no concern at all, there's just people that aren't using reason.

Why would Sony downplay such an AMAZING feature while trying to sell subs?

The trials will probably be similar to the games getting these Xbox "demos".

Last edited:

Three

Can't we think it's lame, but also a better approach from ms to make it optional AND to pay devs? Makes sense to me...
Not when you have absolutely no information about either and are only actively trying to make one seem OK or better by constantly changing the narrative as information comes to light. It's pretty obvious.

Shmunter

People who think they're promising EVERY GAME OVER $35 when they've now STATED in their explanation of the perk as the games being described as "BLOCKBUSTERS" are going to be very let down, when only AAA and other titles like that will get this 2 hour trial.

If Sony had EVERY GAME over $35 they would have promoted the shit out of that point. Either that article was outdated, or draft data that didn't make it to the final cut, or the idea didn't fly with developers.

You know Sony isn't humble with ANYTHING. Saying "ALL GAMES OVER $35" would be their bullet point to SELL PEOPLE on premium subs rather than a vague "BLOCKBUSTER" wording.

There's no concern at all, there's just people that aren't using reason.

Why would Sony downplay such an AMAZING feature while trying to sell subs?

The trials will probably be similar to the games getting these Xbox "demos".
I don’t get it. What is a Blockbuster if not a AAA game?

Sony is international, they won’t quote USA prices for a global audience, that would be confusing, surely you’ll agree.

The $35 from US specific info has not been overturned by this, if anything bolstered by making it public.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I don’t get it. What is a Blockbuster if not a AAA game?

Sony is international, they won’t quote USA prices for a global audience, that would be confusing, surely you’ll agree.

The $35 from US specific info has not been overturned by this, if anything bolstered by making it public.

There is no region where a BLOCKBUSTER GAME costs close to only $35 USD.

It is more likely that the $35 line came from a draft that leaked, rather than something that was final.

Oh boy, get ready to be let down.

It's best to drop this expectation now, than carry it forward.

They will drop this perk, as I've shown with historical data that this perk was created at the launch of Plus back less than 10 years ago, it was quietly dropped back then too.

Last edited:

Shmunter

There is no region where a BLOCKBUSTER GAME costs close to only $35 USD.

Oh boy, get ready to be let down.

It's best to drop this expectation now, than carry it forward.

They will drop this perk, as I've shown with historical data that this perk was created at the launch of Plus back less than 10 years ago, it was quietly dropped back then too.
I’m only going on what’s been made known. If it turns out to be fart in the wind I’ll be the first to sniff it.

At present they clearly state “time trials for blockbuster titles”. It’s it’s own thing listed separately front and centre. Doesn’t say some titles, or select titles. Just Blockbuster titles, and I think in the gaming space we can all related Blockbuster to a certain tier of product, aka AAA.

That all there is to it.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I’m only going on what’s been made known. If it turns out to be fart in the wind I’ll be the first to sniff it.

At present they clearly state “time trials for blockbuster titles”. It’s it’s own thing listed separately front and centre. Doesn’t say some titles, or select titles. Just Blockbuster titles, and I think in the gaming space we can all related Blockbuster to a certain tier of product, aka AAA.
Yup, good that you've realized it, it's not EVERY GAME over $35, just whatever Sony has classified as a "BLOCKBUSTER".

Three

If they're not forced upon developers and/or tied to the highest tier of a sub.

We're in agreement at least :messenger_blowing_kiss:
Oh my god how could they, the highest tier!?

The highest tier is still cheaper at yearly RRP than gamepass' RRP.

Let the sensationalist concern and excuses roll.

Yup, good that you've realized it, it's not EVERY GAME over $35, just whatever Sony has classified as a "BLOCKBUSTER".
But how could this be when it is 'forced' on every poor dev out there?

Last edited:

Shmunter

Your essentially trying to define Blockbiuster = “select game trials” just doesn’t stand up by any measure.

The fact Sony is “mandating” things pretty much enforces it as a standard, not a curation. There are even precise timeframes for compliance. E.g Devs need nominate how long the game will be playable for within a max of 3 month window from publication.

All we know categorically at the moment is, if you’re publishing a AAA game on Sony, the platform will enforce a minimum 2h+ trial on the game for that ps+ tier.

We don’t know, and likely never will, is what the penalties are, or off how the revenue split works if any.

Nothing has come out officially or from the likes of Jason Shrieker or Geoff Grubb to state that has changed.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Doesn't make any sense, as a GP member, why the hell would I need a demo when I can just try out the actual game already?

Agent X

Devs get paid and it's optional for devs. Forcing devs and not paying them is subjectively worse.

If you're referring to the PS Plus Premium game trials, then my understanding is that the trial is actually the full game. The reason why they might not be paying developers to create demos is simply because they don't need to create separate demos.

reksveks

Thinking about project moorcraft, as a consumer, would you be okay to share your gameplay history (I actually assume that they are do it to some extent) so that xbox and game devs could segment you for their demo testing. Aka FH6 beta test for the top 1% of racing game users but haven't played the last FH5?

This might already been done but not sure.

pasterpl

Your essentially trying to define Blockbiuster = “select game trials” just doesn’t stand up by any measure.

The fact Sony is “mandating” things pretty much enforces it as a standard, not a curation. There are even precise timeframes for compliance. E.g Devs need nominate how long the game will be playable for within a max of 3 month window from publication.

All we know categorically at the moment is, if you’re publishing a AAA game on Sony, the platform will enforce a minimum 2h+ trial on the game for that ps+ tier.

We don’t know, and likely never will, is what the penalties are, or off how the revenue split works if any.

Nothing has come out officially or from the likes of Jason Shrieker or Geoff Grubb to state that has changed.

service already launched in Japan and Sony is not even offering trials of all of their new games

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/06/new-playstation-plus-japan-launch-games-lineup-announced

Top Bottom