• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visions of Mana not coming to Game Pass, Xbox confirms

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Facts don't care about your feelings.

Here's the thread from when it was shown at the direct.

Search thread for the word "gamepass."

0 entries.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Show me who you quoted then.
You yourself posted that you want to see less JRPG on xbox because of "anime artsyle" and I would argue majority Xbox players think like you and the fact is if someone in to JRPGs then chances are they chose Playstation/Switch and PC over Xbox.

Most Xbox players dont give JRPG a chance unless its on gamepass.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
You yourself posted that you want to see less JRPG on xbox because of "anime artsyle" and I would argue majority Xbox players think like you and the fact is if someone in to JRPGs then chances are you chose Playstation/Switch and PC over Xbox.

Most Xbox players dont give JRPG a chance unless it’s on gamepass.
Ok, I don’t care for JRPG’s on game pass. But I’m also not wondering why a few games aren’t on Xbox. Where’s that Xbox player?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The typical gamepass user.
I'll help you. Literally 1 person on this entire website said they will wait for GP for this game. 1 person.

:messenger_fire: B Beechos :messenger_fire:

Lifetime or launch?
Either?

Fabieter

I'll help you. Literally 1 person on this entire website said they will wait for GP for this game. 1 person.

:messenger_fire: B Beechos :messenger_fire:

Either?

Out of my ass launch worldwide 300k lifetime a million.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Out of my ass launch worldwide 300k lifetime a million.
That seems reasonable. I guess our discussion earlier about this doing 200k wouldn't be too far off. Honestly, I believe it would sell more than 200k if it was on GP, which is what I said originally. I don't know if it even broke 100k on PS in Japan on the last game. It's just a very small series. I'll buy it eventually for sure.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

Here's the thread from when it was shown at the direct.

Search thread for the word "gamepass."

0 entries.

Dave Chappelle Gotcha GIF

Ah luh you.

I would never argue it's a necessity. But more is better than less. Like I said, they can do what they like. People will just play other games. Persona grows each entry and FF shrinks each entry lately. Persona should not be even close to FF, but here we are. Capcom's doing very well also with Monster Hunter. But what do I know.

Only in theory it is. If the costs for bringing the game to an additional platform aren't worth the revenue and profits you'd get from putting it on said platform, then it's likely not worth doing. Persona is only growing per entry because it started from a significantly smaller size than Final Fantasy did by the time both franchises attempted a multi-console or (consistent) multiplatform approach. Just look at how long it's taken Persona 5, and its various iterations, to sell a combined 5 million for example.

Also I don't think there's evidence showing FF is shrinking each entry; context has to be taken into account. FF XVI is probably somewhere between 4.5 million and 5 million copies sold right now, on a single platform with an install base that "just" reached 50 million little over a month ago. It's weird to say that Persona should never be close to Final Fantasy in sales; at one point Dragon Quest fans probably said the same about Final Fantasy until that no longer was the case. If it's a quality IP and given a chance to grow, it'll grow. But these IP don't have to grow in the same ways in order to grow whatsoever.

As for Monster Hunter, that's a completely different type of game, and a beast in its own right. A lot of its appeal is from having tapped into Pokemon-like curiosity in hunting for exotic animals, but of course Monster Hunter does it in a significantly different style.

That seems reasonable. I guess our discussion earlier about this doing 200k wouldn't be too far off. Honestly, I believe it would sell more than 200k if it was on GP, which is what I said originally. I don't know if it even broke 100k on PS in Japan on the last game. It's just a very small series. I'll buy it eventually for sure.

No Japan-only numbers but from the Wiki on Trails of Mana:

Reception of the game on release was generally positive, with praise going to its redesigned combat and soundtrack, though many faulted its English dub and archaic elements. After release in April 2020, it sold beyond Square Enix's expectations, selling over one million copies worldwide by February 2021.

It may not do FF, DQ or Persona 5 type of numbers (IIRC, Persona 5 took about six months to reach 1 million in sales), but it's still more than a lot of other smaller JRPGs.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If this attitude people have then honestly Vanillaware would have been better off releasing Unicorn Overlord and their future titles on PC rather than Xbox.
Ive never heard you try and explain what is exciting about that game, just low key insult people to try and encourage them to get it. I made a thread on Triangle Strategy which sold low to modest numbers. I just focused on the things I liked about the game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Ive never heard you try and explain what is exciting about that game, just low key insult people to try and encourage them to get it. I made a thread on Triangle Strategy which sold low to modest numbers. I just focused on the things I liked about the game.
Easy, SRPG that takes influence from Battle Ogre 64 and with Vanillaware gorgeous artstyle, I have no reason not to be excited for this game.

I'm just saying I feel like there is more audience for this type of game on PC compare to Xbox.

Ok, I don’t care for JRPG’s on game pass. But I’m also not wondering why a few games aren’t on Xbox. Where’s that Xbox player?

He's on Twitter and his name is Jez Corden

Easy, SRPG that takes influence from Battle Ogre 64 and with Vanillaware gorgeous artstyle, I have no reason not to be excited for this game.

I'm just saying I feel like there is more audience for this type of game on PC compare to Xbox.

Strategy games in general have more an audience on PC than Xbox, even MS know this. Look at the release histories of Halo Wars, Gears Tactics, Age of Empires 4 and now Ara 2. All of them initially PC exclusive, then getting a late Xbox port a year or so down the line.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
When games are announced on Xbox, game companies need to blatantly state not on Gamepass in their press releases. The damage people are doing to games by knowingly making up lies that a game will be on Gamepass that when it's later confirmed not to be the case, we get the "shame, I'll wait now for Gamepass or a sale." Some of these people would have bought it day 1 were it not for dickheads muddying the water.

Killjoy-NL

They can't make up their mind.

No one will buy the game because it's not on GamePass and that's all they play. But no one subs to GamePass because it's not worth it.

Confused Thinking GIF
Going by that one thread a few days ago, people are actively seeking cheap ways to pay as little as possible for GP.

So even the GP core installbase doesn't think it's really worth it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
When games are announced on Xbox, game companies need to blatantly state not on Gamepass in their press releases. The damage people are doing to games by knowingly making up lies that a game will be on Gamepass that when it's later confirmed not to be the case, we get the "shame, I'll wait now for Gamepass or a sale." Some of these people would have bought it day 1 were it not for dickheads muddying the water.
But in this case it wasn't just us speculating. The Xbox page title for the game literally said "coming soon to Game Pass".

Not all games need a "not on game pass" advertising tag. Xbox just needs to stop fucking things up.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Facts don't care about your feelings.

"Facts"

Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

No one "made up lies", the 'coming to game pass' was on the page's meta-text and description when you search for the game on the web.

9xNzPvU.jpeg

Last edited:

adamsapple

So Xbox itself were trying to lie for clout or bully a company into signing an agreement. Thanks for clarifying. I hope SE are compensated for this.

More than likely, I believe this 'will' come to game pass, they just weren't ready to officially announce it yet. Whether to not effect pre-orders or whatever reason. Someone slipped up on the meta-text early.

Also, "bully a company" .. c'mon. :rolleyes:

They gave the game a huge segment on the Direct, which is the most marketing the game has had since announcement.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Hey Xbox owners, i have the solution for you. Just buy the game if you want it. It's really easy and as a bonus you can play it even if you do not have an active gamepass subscription.

THIS!!!!! Please man. Just BUY GAMES!

Reactions: GHG

Variahunter

More than likely, I believe this 'will' come to game pass, they just weren't ready to officially announce it yet. Whether to not effect pre-orders or whatever reason. Someone slipped up on the meta-text early.

They gave the game a huge segment on the Direct, which is the most marketing the game has had since announcement.
Hm are you saying that the Xbox developer direct has more audience than The Game Awards ..?

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Keep talking like that and they'll say you're on GP next. See how you like that bucko.
Unlike some of the posters here, I'm not bought by MS.

I'm surre SE are happy MS are conditioning its customers to view a SE game as not of value on Day 1 and to "wait for Gamepass". Great opening move in this partnership by Xbox.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Unlike some of the posters here, I'm not bought by MS.
Doesn't matter. That's why it's a threat to say you're coming to GP next. Your reputation would be completely ruined. Everyone would be conditioned to think you were coming to GP and your day 1 value would be next to nothing.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Doesn't matter. That's why it's a threat to say you're coming to GP next. Your reputation would be completely ruined. Everyone would be conditioned to think you were coming to GP and your day 1 value would be next to nothing.
The difference is I'm not trying to prostitute myself to turn a profit, while having a company publicly trying to devalue my worth. Excusing the dumbass mistakes by SE, their aim is to turn a profit. MS should be giving SE compensation for lost Day 1 sales due to "I thought this was on Gamepass, I'll wait for Gamepass" customers.

adamsapple

I'm surre SE are happy MS are conditioning its customers to view a SE game as not of value on Day 1 and to "wait for Gamepass". Great opening move in this partnership by Xbox.

Between "bullying" and "conditioning" you're taking this for some kind of psychological warfare that doesn't exist here. It was either an earnest mistake or someone put up the meta-text earlier than it was supposed to.

It litterally had only one show since announcement, which is the developper direct, so basically anything would have done it the way you phrased it...

Yes, it only has had one other showing since then, and they a big dedicated chunk in a first party presentation.

Top Bottom