• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current gen console games that look like the could be on the next gen console

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Have you ever saw a game and thought, "Wow, that was on the [console name]? That looks too good to be on that system!" Well, I have many times.

With each console cycle, we always see at least one or two games that are the pinnacle of that gen's graphics. Visuals that look so good, you wonder how they were able to accomplish that on that particular console. I'm not talking about games that stand the test of time or look really good "for that era". I'm talking about games that look like they would be impossible to do on current hardware or look like an early next gen game. A game like Symphony of the Night is one that stands the test of time, but we would never mistake it for a PS2 game.

I'll give you one example from each generation from Atari on and see if it sparks a discussion about what limits can be pushed on a hardware platform and what we could be seeing as this generation wraps up and the next one starts.

Atari 2600: Solaris This generation was the hardest to show a leap in graphics, because of the gap between the Atari 2600's peak and the introduction of the NES. But, I think this game is comparable to the black box games on the NES. Very simple graphics, but you'd think twice before guessing the 2600- a console released in 1977.

NES: Return of the Joker Did you know Sunsoft made a sequel to '89 Batman before Batman Returns came out? And it was actually pretty good? Look at that parallax scrolling! Look at the shading!

Super Nintendo: Off-Road: The Baja An SNES game with 3D modeling? Or is that some Nintendo-level wizardry I see with those sprites? I couldn't believe this wasn't an early PS1 game.

N64: Jet Force Gemini I went with another Nintendo console because the PS1 had such a bad problem with 3D rendering that I don't think any PS1 game could escape that PS1 look. Besides, JFG has them all beat anyway. The draw distance, lighting, and texture work could fool anyone into think this was a PS2 level game. Maybe even GameCube.

GameCube/PS2: Resident Evil 4 I first saw this live on a Wii and I couldn't even believe it was on the Wii. You could've told me it was an Xbox 360 or PS3 game and I would have believed you.

PS3: The Last of Us It's facial features, texture work, level of detail in the world, all add up to one astounding graphical experience. I've recently been playing through the remastered version and while, I am sure there are some differences, I'd have to put them side by side in order to tell you what those differences are.

So, that's all I got. Surely not the only examples of these kinds of games or even the best examples... that's why we debate :messenger_winking:. What games from this gen do you think would be the ones we look back and swear it was too good for its current system?

Last edited:

Romulus

Donkey Kong Country SNES
Virtual Racing Sega Genesis
Chronicles of Riddick Xbox
Ninja Gaiden Xbox
Splinter Cell chaos theory Xbox
Rallysport Challenge Xbox

I'll stop there but there were about 20 games on the original xbox that looked like first gen 360 games, and some then even ran at 720p natively.

-Arcadia-

Banned
This game. On original Xbox. Like... how?

stRO5Lw.jpg

The thing looked better than 360 games for a while. I guess this was one of the last examples of Rare’s technical magic, before being forced into making a thousand avatar games.

Dane

Hitman Blood Money on PS2 was amazing, I've tought they had to do severe cuts, but nah, pretty much only the mapping effects were removed, according to one person in Hitman Forums, some of the facial animations are absent too. I think the OG Xbox version in some terms might be disappointing, because with that PS2 result, they could have ported the X360 almost entirely into the predecessor console.

Matrix Path of Neo, never played it, but its the only PS2 game with normal mapping and a graphical option of reflections (little trivia, one of IO Interactive developers did make a paper about the normal mapping in PS2)

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory was basically next gen, the difference between PS2 and Xbox was huuuge, Ubisoft was one of the console biggest supporters.

Turok 3 had amazing real time cutscenes, Dreamcast like quality.

Driver 2 on PS1 was one of the best graphical games IMO, the number of details in the city was big for the time, no wonder it ran at like 15-20 fps most of the time.

TUROK

Not a current gen game, but Alan Wake on the 360 had no business being on that console. Big levels with sprawling draw distances, plenty of volumetric lights, deferred rendering, and shadow maps for pretty much everything. It's no wonder they had to render the opaque geometry at 540p.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Super Nintendo: Off-Road: The Baja An SNES game with 3D modeling? Or is that some Nintendo-level wizardry I see with those sprites? I couldn't believe this wasn't an early PS1 game.

This one is nuts. It looks and runs better than Stunt Race FX, which even had an FX2 chip in it :messenger_dizzy:

Good lort.

You can definitely see the trade-off for those visuals, though. Stunt Race had complex, modern-style tracks, where this seems scaled back. That said, it’s still a stunning accomplishment.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member

Who knows maybe if Capcom didn't waste space on poorly voiced cutscenes (at least for us) we could have had 8 on the SNES as well.

Why this wasn't a 3DS game instead is beyond me. Some of the best looking 3D models I've seen on the DS. All it needed was some slight touching up with the graphics (and a few gameplay tweaks) and it would have been the launch title the 3DS desperately needed during it's launch drought. Street Fighter 4 could only get you so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Birdo

Banned
Stunt Race had complex, modern-style tracks, where this seems scaled back.

Stunt Race also ran at 8 frames per second though. It's was painfully slow compared to that Off Road game.

I tried to play it again recently and I would go as far as to say that it's 100% unplayable now.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Stunt Race also ran at 8 frames per second though. It's was painfully slow compared to that Off Road game.

I tried to play it again recently and I would go as far as to say that it's 100% unplayable now.

First timer here, via the SNES app, and I liked it. Granted, my mind is kind of skewed in a archaeological sense for this stuff (‘It’s a piece of history!’ The SNES could do polygons this well?). I do agree that the framerate is crazy low, for both this and Starfox. It’s to the point where I’d move away from the game to text someone, and be shocked at the framerate of the real world being so smooth, hahaha.

Dane

Silent Hill is pretty detailed, i'd say it looks like a Dreamcast/very early PS2 game in the polycount department. Obviously the game has a very short draw distance covered with the fog, but hey, that was the right trick in the right game.

Last edited:

Dane

LOL hyes, that's why the fog trick worked so well, to hide the extremely short draw distance due to its very detailed enviroment.

They continued on with the next games, and Silent Hill 3 for example, had next gen details.

Silent-Hill-3-Setup-Free-Download.jpg

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Some of the later N64 games looked really good. Especially in magazines. Some of the unreleased stuff like Dinosaur Planet and Resident Evil 0 looked like they were really pushing the N64 to it's limits.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I don't remember the game ever actually having that much foliage density and draw distance. Did it ever? I always feel like Nintendo gets away with bullshots while people gaslight for them and say they never do them.

It did. The wind effects maybe enhanced though.

Nothing like Watch Dogs level downgrade though.

Top Bottom