• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current Graphics King on Series X or PS5 platforms

Kerotan

Forbidden West, Ratchet, Ragnarok and GT7 at 4k 90fps with VRR is stunning but the real winner here is the Horizon expansion burning shores which is PS5 only and you can tell.

An open world sandbox where you can seemlessly ride a bird high into the sky and the most realistic cloud tech in an open world game before plunging into the ocean and swimming through rich coral reefs.

Not to mention how stunning the lava and vegetation is. To top it all off (spoiler's ahead) the final fight against the giant octopus robot is next level. Truly stunning.

I hope GOW gets a ps5 only expansion.

HFW is still my favourite - but man Demon's Souls is a dam good looking game too, pushing large amounts of geometry, everything is so well crafted, no funny bugs or glitches, and a rock solid 60 FPS mode day and date. The studio doesn't get enough credit.

f7c.gif

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Don’t understand the praise the matrix gets. It’s like 720p and 30 fps and extremely limited. It’s neat, sure, but once you include that it’s less impressive

RoadHazard

Gold Member
An UE game looking better than another UE game, fascinating! There has to be a definite answer for this question, the guys at UE should know the answer.

None of the Sony games people are bringing up are UE. Actually almost no games mentioned in this thread are.

But yeah, the Matrix demo does look mind-blowing.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Don’t understand the praise the matrix gets. It’s like 720p and 30 fps and extremely limited. It’s neat, sure, but once you include that it’s less impressive
Because it looks like this:

giphy.gif

rQWb1Ow.gif

fd999fe91f79436399c0f0694482450e

The game could run at 5fps, look like that, and still be the best looking game. Higher framerate does not mean your game looks better. In fact, it means it will look worse.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member

giphy.gif

rQWb1Ow.gif

The game could run at 5fps, look like that, and still be the best looking game. Higher framerate does not mean your game looks better. In fact, it means it will look worse.
I disagree. Graphics are not a single screen at a time. It’s the overall package. Resolution and fps are part of the deal

Again, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it isn’t impressive. Just that it’s not as mind blowing as some say to each their own though

RyanEvans21

Xbox Series X
Microsoft Flight Simulator

PS5
Spider-Man
Horizon Forbidden West
Rachet & Clank
The Last Of Us 1 Remastered
God Of War: Ragnarok
Ghost of Tsushima
Demon's Souls Remastered
Cyberfunk
Metro Exodus
The Witcher 3

Last edited:
Xbox Series X

PS5
Spider-Man
Horizon Forbidden West
Rachet & Clank
Ghost of Tsushima
Demon's Souls Remastered
Cyberfunk
Metro Exodus
The Witcher 3

Witcher 3 isn't in the same class as any of the listed. You can obviously see how aged it it at this point. Beautiful game, but the tech isn't up to par with new releases.

Midn1ght

I didn't play lot of current games but Death Stranding was really impressive to me on PC.

From what I saw online, Horizon Forbidden West and Cyberpunk 2077 on PC with Path Tracing are the 2 best looking games so far with Ratchet coming close.

Killjoy-NL

- Horizon Forbidden West/Burning Shores
- Ratchet & Clank

Also, I think Fortnite deserves a mention. It just looks clean as fuck on UE5.1

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Eh, I don't know how to put this but Forbidden West looks like how I think modders ruin some PC games. Over-textured, over-lit, over-cluttered, over-sharpened... it just comes off garish and somehow they have made the mocap animations look overdone as well. There is a lot to be technically impressed by there, don't get me wrong, but the aesthetic is not for me at all. TLOU2 and Spiderman 2 are much more sensible. For XSX, Gears 5 is also very impressive. I agree with Rift Apart being my personal fav. Insomniac has a great sense of balancing all elements of visuals.

Last edited:

mrMUR_96

Eh, I don't know how to put this but Forbidden West looks like how I think modders ruin some PC games. Over-textured, over-lit, over-cluttered, over-sharpened... it just comes off garish and somehow they have made the mocap animations look overdone as well. There is a lot to be technically impressed by there, don't get me wrong, but the aesthetic is not for me at all. TLOU2 and Spiderman 2 are much more sensible. For XSX, Gears 5 is also very impressive. I agree with Rift Apart being my personal fav. Insomniac has a great sense of balancing all elements of visuals.
Yeah I can't quite put my finger on it, but I have to agree. It's very inconsistent as well, noticeable lod/pop-in issues and the interior lighting is awful.

If I feel any game that has truly struck me as next gen graphically, Returnal would have to get that nod, obvious mentions include HFW and R&C

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

giphy.gif

rQWb1Ow.gif

It is absolutely remarkable, sadly sets an unachievable standard (for games that are fun to play), this gen at least.

I assume climate change will have killed us all before actual games look like this on consoles.

proandrad

It is absolutely remarkable, sadly sets an unachievable standard (for games that are fun to play), this gen at least.

I assume climate change will have killed us all before actual games look like this on consoles.
We might as well start posting movie screenshots. Avatar 2 technically plays on a PS5.

Gojiira

Demons Souls, Forbidden West and Rift apart are without a doubt at the very top.
Forbidden West no doubt at the very top.

I cant wait to see Death Stranding 2 in action, I think that will blow everyone away.

Tbh technically it's flight sim , the YouTube videos dnt justify that game
When u fly over a city with full photogrammetry there is nothing like it .

Xbox Series X

PS5
Spider-Man
Horizon Forbidden West
Rachet & Clank
Ghost of Tsushima
Demon's Souls Remastered
Cyberfunk
Metro Exodus
The Witcher 3
Forza horizon wants to have a word with u

SpokkX

Horizon forbidden west
Demons souls
Ratchet
Cyberpunk looks amazing in the 2.0 update even on console now too

Matsuchezz

Final Fantasy XVI looks stellar, some of the fights among the eikons are fucking incredible. I haven't been impressed in a while. I need to play Horizon FW it seems

I appreciate the scale and complexity of what FS does - but it takes a ton of of cherry picking to make it look nice, let alone pretty. Now granted - flight sims were traditionally ugly about 90% of the time even dating back 20 years, but still.
No it doesn't. You a PS fanboy or what? The sheer size along with all the details make this a technological achievement. And it looks fantastic.

Stop nitpicking. The bias is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo obvious, it's almost insulting.

Top Bottom