• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 has ceased development

Toots

Gold Member
I haven't played yet, as well.
Maybe after Shadow of the Erdtree.
Don't say maybe, you need to treat yourself with Phantom Liberty, it is like playing an 80s actioner. The new zone is also quite vast and full of nice things to visit. It really is a masterful piece of work.

One thing to keep in mind tho :

escape from new york film GIF

Perrott

Is this confirmed? I’d been holding out on phantom liberty until ps5 pro version
Not at all, but I think it would be extremely weird to see CDPR not taking advantage of the latest hardware technology, especially with their next Witcher game still being years away.

Also, there's an inline spoiler hiding a question mark immediately after the "confirmed" in my previous post as part of The Joke™, but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to be highlighted properly, hmm...

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Thanks for reminding us to never buy a CDPR game at launch.

I'm saying. Imagine this shit should have completed development in 2020 only to have them do some GaaS shit and it end in 2024 lol

So when they reveal their next game and give a release date later on, remember folks, its not a "release" its the beta, alpha, early access to the GaaS and prepare yourselves for a series of yellow screen excuses along the way.

It makes no sense to pay full price in 2020 for a game only to wait years for them to complete the rest of the game you paid for....

timothet

Also don't forget that:
You can fail the whole expansion and almost all the missions if you take too long to save the NUSA president.

Not a common design choice.

The same happens when you walk away from Dogtown gate right after speaking with So Mi for first time. You can also refuse to further help Myers after you bring Reed to her, which also ends expansion's main quest.
They didn't have to do it, but it's a nice touch.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I had been holding out for FSR3 support on consoles. Guess that’s not coming.

I always hoped that CDPR would release a VR version too, but there’s probably not enough of a market there.

I've held off on this game for so long since they'd been continuously updating it and fixing X, Y and Z.

Now that it's confirmed completed and there probably won't be any more updates, maybe I'll go ahead and get it on the Days of Play sale.

Of course, I could wait on the off-chance that they do a PS5 Pro update..

mdkirby

Not at all, but I think it would be extremely weird to see CDPR not taking advantage of the latest hardware technology, especially with their next Witcher game still being years away.

Also, there's an inline spoiler hiding a question mark immediately after the "confirmed" in my previous post as part of The Joke™, but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to be highlighted properly, hmm...
Ahh well fingers crossed. And yeah I didn’t see what initially, in the reply form there was some code bits suggesting a hidden spoiler flag, but wasn’t showing in the initial post. Odd.

I guess it’s possible that closer to ps pro release they just assign a couple of guys to it to turn on some extra bells and whistles (likely already present in the pc build)

DaGwaphics

Hadn't they announced this before? I thought the ultimate edition was supposed to be the final code? Maybe I'm just not remembering that right.

timothet

I had been holding out for FSR3 support on consoles. Guess that’s not coming.

I always hoped that CDPR would release a VR version too, but there’s probably not enough of a market there.
They still have something in QA branch, so I wouldn't rule out FSR yet.

As for VR, there are some unofficial mods like VorpX and the one from Luke Ross. They are not perfect, but it's something at least.
Also they are moving from their proprietary engine to Unreal so with their new titles we will be able to use UEVR which is an amazing tool to inject VR controls and camera into titles based on UE 4 and 5.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
They still have something in QA branch, so I wouldn't rule out FSR yet.

As for VR, there are some unofficial mods like VorpX and the one from Luke Ross. They are not perfect, but it's something at least.
Also they are moving from their proprietary engine to Unreal so with their new titles we will be able to use UEVR which is an amazing tool to inject VR controls and camera into titles based on UE 4 and 5.

I’m personally not a huge fan of VorpX, it doesn’t work great with Cyberpunk anyway. I really would love to see CDPR dive into VR with this game.

I had no idea they were dropping their engine! I know it’s easier and cuts costs, but I really miss the old days of almost every major studio having their own engine. It would bring this unique factor to each studios games that is unmatched to this day.

FUBARx89

Some of the key people from PL fucked off to America for sequel. Hoping it's as stellar as PL.

I personally think it's a shame they've dropped the Redengine. 2077 is a very good looking game. Systems aren't dogshit either (bar driving, unless it's a bike)

That ass majestic and she's just adorable. Truly the most memorable western waifu of them all.
She has a terrible personality!!!! Elizabeth Peralez is the queen of Night City. Especially after the mission when you meet her at that ramen bar and she sits on that stool with her legs apart. Woof.

Last edited:
Cyberpunk 2077 PS5 Pro patch

There better be a frickin PS5 Pro patch for this! If this dev cycle being "complete" means no Pro patch I'm gonna be so pissed.

Contrary to what the games media had to say, the "next gen update" for Cyberpunk was disappointing AF! No RT reflections in the 30 fps "fidelity mode"? The performance mode had practically no improvement to visuals aside from higher npc counts AND it took until sometime late '23 for the framerate to really be stable.

CD Project sold our to Nvidia and once they did that they spent no time trying to improve the visuals for consoles ...on Day 1 of the "next gen" update in Graphics Settings they listed the game as having "RT reflections and shadows" yet no RT reflections were in the game.

Console version has always felt vastly inferior to PC, unlike other games where you felt like you were getting a PC-like experience even if the settings were slightly worse. I expected better from CD Project since #1 they fucked up so bad on console at launch and #2- it took 2 years for the next gen version to even be released.

Bojji

There better be a frickin PS5 Pro patch for this! If this dev cycle being "complete" means no Pro patch I'm gonna be so pissed.

Contrary to what the games media had to say, the "next gen update" for Cyberpunk was disappointing AF! No RT reflections in the 30 fps "fidelity mode"? The performance mode had practically no improvement to visuals aside from higher npc counts AND it took until sometime late '23 for the framerate to really be stable.

CD Project sold our to Nvidia and once they did that they spent no time trying to improve the visuals for consoles ...on Day 1 of the "next gen" update in Graphics Settings they listed the game as having "RT reflections and shadows" yet no RT reflections were in the game.

Console version has always felt vastly inferior to PC, unlike other games where you felt like you were getting a PC-like experience even if the settings were slightly worse. I expected better from CD Project since #1 they fucked up so bad on console at launch and #2- it took 2 years for the next gen version to even be released.

Look at RT performance for this game on AMD cards. It's not possible to run RT reflections on PS5 and SX at any decent resolution/framerate.

She has a terrible personality!!!! Elizabeth Peralez is the queen of Night City. Especially after the mission when you meet her at that ramen bar and she sits on that stool with her legs apart. Woof.

If the game allowed you to get her on some sugar mommy action then I’d allow it!

timothet

I really don't know where your expectations are coming from. CDPR always has been a PC-centric company and they have been with nVidia and their "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" program since EE of The Witcher 1.

It's not CDPR's fault that AMD can't compete with nVidia in RT performance. You can do only so much with weak hardware.

FireFly

I really don't know where your expectations are coming from. CDPR always has been a PC-centric company and they have been with nVidia and their "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" program since EE of The Witcher 1.

It's not CDPR's fault that AMD can't compete with nVidia in RT performance. You can do only so much with weak hardware.
They could have dropped the resolution down to 1080p for the RT mode.

SoraNoKuni

These guys managed to stay alive and even turn the tables(kind of) after that disaster CP2077 launch was, I am really grateful.
Pretty sure witcher 4 will be great.

gtabro

I will remember CP2077 for 2 promises:

1. Truly futuristic sci-fi atmosphere
2. “Choices and consequences that will ripple throughout your story”

They delivered on 1 but dropped the ball so hard on 2 it’s nearly as linear as GTA.

Thank god for Larian and Baldur’s Gate 3 who actually showed the industry what branching choices mean.

They delivered on 1 but dropped the ball so hard on 2 it’s nearly as linear as GTA.

Thank god for Larian and Baldur’s Gate 3 who actually showed the industry what branching choices mean.

Agree on point 2. I'd be disappointed if I came in expecting that level of agency. I guess I never thought they would deliver there.

The game is fun with a really cool world and a good narrative. The gameplay is okay.

BG3's writing is piss-poor in comparison, though. There are no characters, just dialogue delivery skins.

makaveli60

Many of you say this but I just don‘t get it. Even the smallest choices change how your story is evolving. Like saving someone in a gig then meeting him in Afterlife. Or people commenting your choices all the time. What more did you expect? I have never seen a game in AAA space where your choices mattered so much. Just tell me a couple because it seems I missed them. Did you think that every mission would restructure the city or what? I just don’t get this argument.

FireFly

Many of you say this but I just don‘t get it. Even the smallest choices change how your story is evolving. Like saving someone in a gig then meeting him in Afterlife. Or people commenting your choices all the time. What more did you expect? I have never seen a game in AAA space where your choices mattered so much. Just tell me a couple because it seems I missed them. Did you think that every mission would restructure the city or what? I just don’t get this argument.
Well The Witcher 3 had a bunch of choices throughout which influenced how the ending played out. Where as in Cyberpunk you just unlock extra endings that you can choose between. The core story is pretty much set in stone until the endgame.

I think people were hoping that Cyberpunk would build on The Witcher 3 and offer choices that would affect how the plot played out in subsequent acts, like in BG3. But instead Cyberpunk seems to be mostly a step back in reactivity.

makaveli60

Well The Witcher 3 had a bunch of choices throughout which influenced how the ending played out. Where as in Cyberpunk you just unlock extra endings that you can choose between. The core story is pretty much set in stone until the endgame.

I think people were hoping that Cyberpunk would build on The Witcher 3 and offer choices that would affect how the plot played out in subsequent acts, like in BG3. But instead Cyberpunk seems to be mostly a step back in reactivity.
It might be worse than W3 in this sense, I don’t know that, but it’s still miles better than 99% of AAA games, I’m sure.

FireFly

It might be worse than W3 in this sense, I don’t know that, but it’s still miles better than 99% of AAA games, I’m sure.
Of course, because 99% of games don't focus on choice and consequence. But CDPR were comparing Cyberpunk to Deus Ex and Bloodlines and the first mission they showed had more possibilities than any other shipping mission in the game.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Of course, because 99% of games don't focus on choice and consequence. But CDPR were comparing Cyberpunk to Deus Ex and Bloodlines and the first mission they showed had more possibilities than any other shipping mission in the game.
I was amazed by it but it‘s true that I didn’t play W3 and Bloodlines. Still, I feel it’s unfair to say that there are no consequences of your choices. Witcher 3 might be better in this, but what they did is still miles above what the industry offers.

Top Bottom