• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077- How to hack video game magazines

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
We all saw that this game plays like shit on Ps4 and Xbox One S, even after day one patch, but Metacritic has zero console reviews right now. Very few people talks about current gen console versions. CDPR didn't allow reviewers to use their own gameplay videos too. I don't understand what's happening around this game. Never saw something like this before.

GHG

Gold Member
They manipulated the situation perfectly so that they didn't end up with millions of cancelled pre orders.

Now they have a PR nightmare on their hands and it could potentially lead to legal issues in certain countries if people want to take it that far.

It's a shit show, they should have just released it on PC first and then next gen consoles at a later date.

mr.dilya

Banned
They manipulated the situation perfectly so that they didn't end up with millions of cancelled pre orders.

Now they have a PR nightmare on their hands and it could potentially lead to legal issues in certain countries if people want to take it that far.

It's a shit show, they should have just released it on PC first and then next gen consoles at a later date.

Yup. No reason for the console versions to release. They stupid as hell for that.

I don't think I've seen a game in the last 20 years that released with literally zero footage shown. CDPR never showed any video whatsoever of the base PS4 or XB1 versions.
The thing is why were they allowed to do this? I wasn't aware until very recently that all the footage we saw wasn't playing on consoles. I mean, wtf? They are showing us this footage on E3 keynotes for Xbox, isn't that supposed to mean the game is running on an xbox?

MastaKiiLA

Blame the rabid fans, many of whom preordered the game sight unseen on consoles, and hyped it to high heaven for years. I'm not going to fault them for playing the game to their advantage. I think they found their marks in the userbase, and then used the sycophant media to seal the deal. It's just business.

I don't think I've seen a game in the last 20 years that released with literally zero footage shown. CDPR never showed any video whatsoever of the base PS4 or XB1 versions.

You mean this, released days before launch?

And this, also released before launch?

You can argue the footage is not representative, but you cannot say they didn't show old-gen console footage before relapse.

Boss Mog

The thing is why were they allowed to do this? I wasn't aware until very recently that all the footage we saw wasn't playing on consoles. I mean, wtf? They are showing us this footage on E3 keynotes for Xbox, isn't that supposed to mean the game is running on an xbox?
They showed it running on consoles but just PS5, PS4 Pro, XBOX Series X and XBOX One X a couple of weeks back, not on the base consoles though.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

You mean this, released days before launch?

And this, also released before launch?

You can argue the footage is not representative, but you cannot say they didn't show old-gen console footage before relapse.

Maybe read my comment before replying. Show me where in that footage there is base PS4 or XB1 footage, I'll wait.

Maybe read my comment before replying. Show me where in that footage there is base PS4 or XB1 footage, I'll wait.

My bad. I understood it as you asking for past-gen console footage, in general, not specifically base models.

You're right.
And it's a good point to raise.

Last edited:

Gandih42

Does this really warrant legal action? Genuinely curious. I completely agree that the review process was BS, but they did show footage for PS4 before release right?

I'm not playing the game and have no idea how well that correlates to the final product, but even from the PC reviews it seemed extremely likely the old consoles would be kind of fucked playing the game.

I can't imagine millions of people would've cancelled their pre-orders based reviews saying it looks ugly on consoles a few days before launch. I imagine the hype and excitement to play it so close to release would be too strong. And all PS4 and XBone versions come with free upgrades next year right?

Seems like a giant waste of goodwill on part of CDPR to do this, but I'm just random asshole lying in my bed.

Edit: someone pointed out there was no footage of the base old-gen console versions, only Pro/X. Definitely an extra layer of shitty.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

My bad. I understood it as you asking for past-gen console footage, in general, not specifically base model.

You're right.
And it's a good point to raise.
Yeah because on the base consoles it runs at 15-20fps, which is completely unacceptable and you know for sure that a bunch of peeps with base consoles went to pick up the game today and are going to be quite shocked when they start playing.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Thank you CDPR for letting everyone know we need to leave those last gen consoles in the past.
It's still prettty bad even for the standard of X1X in my opinion, this type of soft image, I haven't seen for as long as I had a X1X...

TheGejsza

I mean because of that smear caused by temporal AA solution my wife can't play it at all. She gets some kind of motion-sickness after few mins of playing.

We all saw that this game plays like shit on Ps4 and Xbox One S, even after day one patch, but Metacritic has zero console reviews right now. Very few people talks about current gen console versions. CDPR didn't allow reviewers to use their own gameplay videos too. I don't understand what's happening around this game. Never saw something like this before.
I get that people are trying to run this on ps4 like people try and run doom on a calculator, but are there people out there that thought this would turn out well or that a console from 7 years ago would be the company’s primary platform for cyberpunk?

How is it that when games are ported to switch, people can’t believe the technical marvels of the accomplishment, but when you get a next gen game running on the ps4 it cause controversy? While I applaud the loyalty, it’s time for an upgrade. Are you still rocking a iphone 3 as well?

Yeah because on the base consoles it runs at 15-20fps, which is completely unacceptable and you know for sure that a bunch of peeps with base consoles went to pick up the game today and are going to be quite shocked when they start playing.

Yup, this is likely going to blow up in CDPR's faces harder than the Downgrade. You now have Digital Foundry officially discouraging people from buying past-gen console versions of the game.

Actually discouraging.

My goodness.

I hate to sound like an asshole but I didn’t consider getting it on Console. I have a Series X and may consider double dipping when the Series X gets real support with the game.

I knew PC was the only enjoyable option for me. I don’t want to play this game at 30 FPS and dull and flat looking. I wouldn’t have bought it yet if console was my only option.

Night.Ninja

Banned
It's still prettty bad even for the standard of X1X in my opinion, this type of soft image, I haven't seen for as long as I had a X1X...

Its next gen bro, cyberpunk is what all devlopers should be aiming for and thoes jaguars can't cut it any more.

Cyberpunk2077 is the sign that a pc is now needed.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I hate to sound like an asshole but I didn’t consider getting it on Console. I have a Series X and may consider double dipping when the Series X gets real support with the game.

I knew PC was the only enjoyable option for me. I don’t want to play this game at 30 FPS and dull and flat looking. I wouldn’t have bought it yet if console was my only option.
It actually runs at 60fps on Series X and PS5.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Yup, this is likely going to blow up in CDPR's faces harder than the Downgrade. You now have Digital Foundry officially discouraging people from buying past-gen console versions of the game.

Actually discouraging.

My goodness.
tenor.gif

Gandih42

I get that people are trying to run this on ps4 like people try and run doom on a calculator, but are there people out there that thought this would turn out well or that a console from 7 years ago would be the company’s primary platform for cyberpunk?

How is it that when games are ported to switch, people can’t believe the technical marvels of the accomplishment, but when you get a next gen game running on the ps4 it cause controversy? While I applaud the loyalty, it’s time for an upgrade. Are you still rocking a iphone 3 as well?

I get what you're saying, but in this case they appear to have actively suppressed information of the performance before launch.

I don't think anyone should expect next-gen graphics of a PS4 version, but people would probably have been more forgiving if they had shown that off before hand.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Its next gen bro, cyberpunk is what all devlopers should be aiming for and thoes jaguars can't cut it any more.

Cyberpunk2077 is the sign that a pc is now needed.
When it's next-gen I don't expect it to look worse than pre-gen, honestly.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Everyone talks about ps4 footage they showed pre release. That video shows ps4 pro version, and "for some reason" switches to ps5 footage in gun fight section, where dips actually happens in Ps4 and Pro. And that ps4 pro footage in trailer still looks better than DF footage.

This game advertised as a current gen game for years. You can't blame current gen owners for expecting a decent release on their system. They would probably prefer honest The Last Guardian way.

I have Ps4 pro and Pc, so i can look the other way, but it's disgusting so i shared my opinion on it.

Edit: Ad from 1 year ago: it shows Xbox one, ps4, pc(at background) disc version at 3:59

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned

You're misusing the term "current gen" old man.

ZywyPL

Banned
I think that people who bought PS4/XB1 don't care about the performance at all to begin with... It's the last year of those consoles lifespan, which were severely underpowered the moment they hit the store shelves, what people really expect in 2020? History repeats itself each generation, where cross-gen titles don't even run at 30FPS once, and this is no different. So maybe, hopefully, CP2077 will the the game that will make people switch to newer consoles like GTA5 did back in the day, the sooner people abandon last-gen consoles the better, for all of us.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
ack c'mon ffs... its a massive technologically advanced game running on a state of the art engine utilizing cutting edge GFX... and fuckers are whinging its running like shite on my 8y.o. laptop console!!??? no sympathy whatsoever.. what the fuck did they expect looking at all the visuals of this game running pre release?? that they where gonna play it like that?? anyone with half a fucking braincell could tell all that shit was running on PC's waaay outa the league of most gamers and lolz they expected it to be similar on a fucking OG PS4 and double lolz OG Xbox... wise up and fucking wait for the patches to come and fix it or go buy something else

Hugare

Everyone talks about ps4 footage they showed pre release. That video shows ps4 pro version, and "for some reason" switches to ps5 footage in gun fight section, where dips actually happens in Ps4 and Pro. And that ps4 pro footage in trailer still looks better than DF footage.

This game advertised as a current gen game for years. You can't blame current gen owners for expecting a decent release on their system. They would probably prefer honest The Last Guardian way.

I have Ps4 pro and Pc, so i can look the other way, but it's disgusting so i shared my opinion on it.

Edit: Ad from 1 year ago: it shows Xbox one, ps4, pc(at background) disc version at 3:59

All footage was meticulously selected to show only the "functioning" parts. That scene on PS4 was not at downtown, where the game struggles the worse. Fighting and etc. was using PS5 on purpose, of course.

They didnt even announce that the game would run at 60 FPS on next gen hardware

They were this much unprepared

ack c'mon ffs... its a massive technologically advanced game running on a state of the art engine utilizing cutting edge GFX... and fuckers are whinging its running like shite on my 8y.o. laptop console!!??? no sympathy whatsoever.. what the fuck did they expect looking at all the visuals of this game running pre release?? that they where gonna play it like that?? anyone with half a fucking braincell could tell all that shit was running on PC's waaay outa the league of most gamers and lolz they expected it to be similar on a fucking OG PS4 and double lolz OG Xbox... wise up and fucking wait for the patches to come and fix it or go buy something else
Look at this douche right here, with his wall of text spouting a bunch of nonsense

Couldnt even ponctuate correctly 'cause he was that much exalted

Look, RDR 2 was considered a Crysis like benchmark for PCs at launch while still running freaking excellent on base consoles.

You can push tech while still giving base consoles a good experience. But unlike Rockstar, CDPR developed for 8 platforms at the same time, instead of only 2.

So I dont think that they even tried to optimize this game, really. They flipped some switches and called it a day.

But if you are right, and the tech is too much for base consoles, then make it a fucking PC exclusive like Star Citizen is.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
At least we have user reviews(2468 reviews-overall 2.3 points); https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/cyberpunk-2077/user-reviews. It's not like SJW bombardement, they all talk about technical aspects of it.

There are two magazine reviews for "old gen" consoles(ps4/xbox one) now; one of them gave it 35, another 68(for xbox version).

Push Square says: "... it's impossible to recommend picking this game up at launch on PS4 or PS4 Pro ".

Playstation Universe says: "... those playing on a base PS4 are going to struggle to find any kind of enjoyment in the game due to the blurry visuals, framerate drops and muddy look the game has..."

Sony should make refund process more easy for products like this. You can't refund a game if you downloaded it, what a mess.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah CDPR fucked up because they put themselves in an impossible situation.

I wonder if it would've been better if they just cut their losses and make it PS5 / XSX only.

Sentenza

I have plenty to be unhappy about the current state of Cyberpunk, but trash seven year old consoles performing like the old piece of trash they are rank pretty low on my concerns.

They should have just canceled these versions, frankly.

Bottom line is: fuck your ancient consoles.

Last edited:

dyergram

Rockstar kind of do the same thing except their games generally deliver. They probably should of cancelled the current gen versions or delayed them they got the Witcher runner ok in the end from what I’ve heard so maybe they can work their magic.

Dylx

So many are missing the point, it's not about people expecting a 7yr old console to run CP great. It's about the blatant cash grab at a huge install base. They knew months ago that ps4 couldn't run this game, and deliberately hid and suppressed footage. Released it right before the holiday to get as much of that Christmas money as possible.

As others have stated, it should have be PC, ps5, and xsx exclusive.

Show me a CDPR game that launched in a stable state.

I understand the love for their brand, but at least be realistic with your expectations. I'm waiting until more DLC (and more patches) show up and that has always been my plan.

Fbh

The "why did people expect anything else" defense force doesn't make sense to me.

On a demanding game you expect the console version to have considerably scaled back visuals, maybe a 900p resolution on ps4 and lower on Xb1, 30fps target with some drops, etc.
You don't expect it to be an unplayable, extremely buggy and blurry, 15fps shit show.
Show me a single other big game that looks and runs this poorly. The only one that comes to mind is control on base Ps4 and at least it doesn't look nearly as blurry as this. Games like Red Dead 2 and Metro Exodus which some people still use to benchmark their PC's still manage to run fine on last gen machines.

Last gen consoles are just too shitty to run this. The right move would have been for CDPR to explain that and release it only on Ps5/XSX/XSS/PC instead of completely hiding the unplayable last gen version

Show me a CDPR game that launched in a stable state.

I understand the love for their brand, but at least be realistic with your expectations. I'm waiting until more DLC (and more patches) show up and that has always been my plan.

I got Witcher 3 at launch on base Ps4.
Sure there were bugs and some areas had performance issues but overall it was still a great experience. Only the Swamp had consistently terrible performance and thankfully it wasn't a very large part of the game.

The Ps4 footage they showed was also one of the smaller and more linear areas which runs ok even on base Ps4. It's really once you get to the actual open world that it all goes to shit

Last edited:
I got Witcher 3 at launch on base Ps4.
Sure there were bugs and some areas had performance issues but overall it was still a great experience. Only the Swap had consistently terrible performance and thankfully it wasn't a very large part of the game.
Across the board it got dinged for technical issues.

The only difference is this time the technical issues seem "worse". My point isn't to give CDPR a pass but to remind people that they release buggy games.

To draw a comparison, would anyone give me shit for avoiding bethesda games on Day One? CDPR is pretty much the same kind of dev.

acm2000

another salty thread? either upgrade your 7 year old hardware or wait for the patches will will come thick and fast

Top Bottom