• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 |OT| The Future Is Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

IgnotumCL

That resolution
Cyberpunk_2077_Screenshot_2020.12.11_-_00.48.31.05.png

Mato

The city is really, really pretty. I love exploring and jumping around the dark rooftops like a prowler in the nighttime. However I had hoped that all buildings/apartments would have been accessible. Too bad that isn't the case.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The city is really, really pretty. I love exploring and jumping around the dark rooftops like a prowler in the nighttime. However I had hoped that all buildings/apartments would have been accessible. Too bad that isn't the case.
there is no way it'd have been possible to make every building accesible. you had severely unrealistic expectations thinking that.

Loostreaks

I've no problem with npcs not having some complex daily life routines...does anyone even notice this? In a game of this size that would take a boatload of work for little benefit. Hell, that gym area outside of V's place had more people than almost entire Bethesda city. In the end, devs have to prioritize what fits their design.
It's better they improve their pathfinding AI, fix some animations ( some are missing lip sync animations), add some reactivity to player's actions ( like running into them, drawing a gun, etc). Some interaction with the world, like ordering food, sitting on a chair, would've also helped. This part is something CDPR is lagging behind.
And driving controls needs some improvement ( on pc, m+k, at least)..there is a good sense of weight with vehicles, but controls are way too sensitive.

Last edited:
It's not Shenmue, man, GTA5 didn't exactly let you chat up random NPCs and eat hotdogs and shit. I think people were expecting too much.

The cop thing is funny though.
GTAV is also a PS3/X360 game. I think we can expect more for a game made for better hardware and which was touted as the most alive open world game ever. Seriously, cops can't follow you for 100 meters because they can't do basic pathfinding. This is ridiculous.

Last edited:

John2290

That's just bullshit. With an OCed 1080 and 2600k@ 4.5 I get 30-50FPS on the default High setting. With tweaking, 85% resolution scaling and sharpening I get 45-60 FPS.

With default low and no resolution scaling I get 50-70fps, there's no way a 2080 is getting less than 20fps on low.
What do they gain from lying about 2060 and 2070 cards? but especially, what do they gain from lying about the 1080 cards and under? I find it hard to believe if they were trying to gain views of the back of the game they would go so low. Seems much more likely that the game is less optimized than Crysis.

azz0r

Banned
The main story is so good, the voice acting is top notch and the missions are pretty diverse and well laid out. The writing is really well done and believable, the. conversation choices are great.

The UI is a bit of a mess, and there are some random button choices that go against the rest of the games norms that make it worse. I think giving some colour to the interface for different types of missions would make it far easier to understand.

Other than that, it's hard crashed randomly 5 times, I've had missions glitch out (drones going under the road, ai companion driving in circles infinitely), I've had random deaths, random gravity throws to death, random speech trees breaking and running parallel), random invisible cars popping in.

and I still love it.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
GTAV is also a PS3/X360 game. I think we can expect more for a game made for better hardware and which was touted as the most alive open world game ever. Seriously, cops can't follow you for 100 meters because they can't do basic pathfinding. This is ridiculous.
This stuff isn't a tech issue, it's just a scope issue. GTA5 might be old but it's a game that cost hundreds of millions to develop and this game has a bigger, denser, more detailed city than that did.

The AI does need work, I'm not gonna lie about that. I mean it's an RPG so it's not the focus but yeah.

danowat

Banned
I'm starting to think the world is just a folly, looks nice on the surface but scratch that thin veneer off and it's not actually that good, along with the terrible and in some cases non existent AI, many important NPC's are also ghosts that you can walk through.

It's just so jarring, I can't get immersed in this world.

This game was never supposed to a GTA-like experience, but maybe it's CDPR's fault for making people think that it would be, because now people are expecting to be able to cause plenty of emergent chaos in the open world and play cops and robbers and have car chases and NPCs that react to this stuff.

This is a story-driven immersive sim. The open-world elements here basically serve as a backdrop for the stories and quests. They're there to create the atmosphere of a big city. Even the driving is more for atmosphere than the kind of playground for emergent chaos you have in GTA games.

This game was never supposed to a GTA-like experience, but maybe it's CDPR's fault for making people think that it would be, because now people are expecting to be able to cause plenty of emergent chaos in the open world and play cops and robbers and have car chases and NPCs that react to this stuff.

This is a story-driven immersive sim. The open-world elements here basically serve as a backdrop for the stories and quests. They're there to create the atmosphere of a big city. Even the driving is more for atmosphere than the kind of playground for emergent chaos you have in GTA games.
Man I can't tell what you're talking about GTA games haven't been about emergent chaos since San Andreas. I would call four and five absolutely immersive sims like this I would also say they have cities that are more there for atmosphere. Red Dead 2 in particular is like this.

I noticed Metacritic actually is preventing User Reviews out of the gate - I didn't know they could gate reviews that way (I don't object considering how big Cyberpunk is, I just wonder how CDPR managed that, since I wasn't aware of any other game that allowed that).

Guess I'll check back at noon today!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
THere's lots of doors in the city that just say [locked]. Can you hack them later on?
if you can get in it should be clearly hackable or say you need certain level of skills (to pull it open for example).

for example i done a gig at a hotel but didn't have enough stats to open the door. i had to climb up from the floor below and break in. a door down below the hotel was locked but i managed to hack in. there was another locked door but no way to get in.

Last edited:

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Had a 2hrs session last night after work (I finished work at 10pm) Just finished the Biochip mission involving a Penthouse. Wow, such an awesome mission. I was so wrapped up in it I actually forgot I was playing an open world game and the path the mission took was awesome. All up that mission including the set up must've taken me a few hours. I like how you get experience points for which style you're playing so you can try and stick to one style or mix it up.

From what I've played so far I can't give this enough praise. I cannot believe how much it has exceeded my expectations. Even going first person as opposed to third I was very skeptical but it plays so well. Shame I'll only get to play it during the evening's after the family has gone to bed now the missus and kids are on holidays so it's headphones for me instead of home theater.

So, performance tanks on ps5 when in the middle of the city, I’m pretty sure it gets to sub 30.

I’m not happy about it at all
DF mentioned in their PS4 base Vs Pro video that there is a spot in the city where the frames takes a hit and it's the same place every time, think it hit 15fps. It's by Tom's Diner.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Had a 2hrs session last night after work (I finished work at 10pm) Just finished the Biochip mission involving a Penthouse. Wow, such an awesome mission. I was so wrapped up in it I actually forgot I was playing an open world game and the path the mission took was awesome. All up that mission including the set up must've taken me a few hours. I like how you get experience points for which style you're playing so you can try and stick to one style or mix it up.

From what I've played so far I can't give this enough praise. I cannot believe how much it has exceeded my expectations. Even going first person as opposed to third I was very skeptical but it plays so well. Shame I'll only get to play it during the evening's after the family has gone to bed now the missus and kids are on holidays so it's headphones for me instead of home theater.

DF mentioned in their PS4 base Vs Pro video that there is a spot in the city where the frames takes a hit and it's the same place every time, think it hit 15fps. It's by Tom's Diner.
i just finished that mission. it was a load of fun but the ending sucked (not quality wise but emotionally). well, i saved just before going into to see Dex after getting out the car

Last edited:
Man I can't tell what you're talking about GTA games haven't been about emergent chaos since San Andreas. I would call four and five absolutely immersive sims like this I would also say they have cities that are more there for atmosphere. Red Dead 2 in particular is like this.

GTA IV and V are not immersive sims and they do still have very complex AI systems for causing open-world chaos. So I'm afraid you're wrong.

I went in this game expecting a Fallout New Vegas or Deus Ex like experience and so far the game has delivered but the game has too many problems on base level mechanics, simple stuff were present in even PS2 and PS3 era titles. A more interactive and reactive world would do wonders to this game. I simply don't want this games feel like a giant backdrop.

GTA IV and V are not immersive sims and they do still have very complex AI systems for causing open-world chaos. So I'm afraid you're wrong.

This argument seems to just boil down to the idea that if the AI was more complex in cyberpunk it suddenly warrants comparison to Grand theft Auto? I'm not even sure I agree about how simple the AI is in the random encounters I found in the open world as in not missions when I take on a group of people I have found that I tend to get flanked from behind and stuff like that. I haven't really tried to create emergent chaos but I haven't seen proof it's impossible.

I went in this game expecting a Fallout New Vegas or Deus Ex like experience and so far the game has delivered but the game has too many problems on base level mechanics, simple stuff were present in even PS2 and PS3 era titles. A more interactive and reactive world would do wonders to this game. I simply don't want this games feel like a giant backdrop.
I agree there is room for improvement in some areas, but at the same time the game can't be all things at once.

Mato

there is no way it'd have been possible to make every building accesible. you had severely unrealistic expectations thinking that.

Not really. The city is relatively small by open world standards. Some procedural or cookie-cutter methods could have employed to fill in all those empty boxes.

Loostreaks

The main story is so good, the voice acting is top notch and the missions are pretty diverse and well laid out. The writing is really well done and believable, the. conversation choices are great.
For Polish guys ( all of their writers are Polish, right), they really nailed the "slang", down to earth, straight to the point, almost reads like a goddamn poetry at times.
I noticed Metacritic actually is preventing User Reviews out of the gate - I didn't know they could gate reviews that way (I don't object considering how big Cyberpunk is, I just wonder how CDPR managed that, since I wasn't aware of any other game that allowed that).
Guess I'll check back at noon today!
That's something they implemented a few months back. Probably since Death Stranding or TLOU2.

Still so in love with the first person camera. Even melee combat is better than usual in games like this. Honestly I can’t see third person working given the way the story is told lot of sequences where you are jumped or black out etc.

This game was very obviously designed from the ground up for first person and the immersion that allows. Which completely shatters the narrative of "they are just lazy, it was planned but they dropped it" etc.

LoveCake

I was hyped for this game, but it is pretty poor on base PS4, I know the tech is old about eight years, but this game was surely made for PS4/XboxOne originally, I'm very disappointed.

DF said it could be patched and optimized, but how long is this going to take, by the time it's done PS5/XboxS will be easy to buy no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom