• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 |OT| The Future Is Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
played a whole bunch today a good solid 4 hours or so with a friend. we weren't planning on doing nothing but playing this but it was hard to stop.

game definitely looks nicer with the new patch. it was very next gen feeling in several shoot-outs i had earlier, and driving through the city at night saw only minor drops. visuals are going to only get better and better and i'm already very impressed.
Haven't seen this posted yet from Schreier. He has a pretty nebulous headline but the short version is that CDPR are now guaranteeing staff bonuses which were previously tied to Metascore (such a fucked practice).

Hopefully that should be a relief for those hardworking folks that at least now they get a big payday regardless of outside factors. This is actually an extra financial bonus on top of the profit sharing they're entitled to by default. Nice news for them I hope!

CDPR Bonuses (Bloomberg, paywall)
yeah having employee compensation tied to how well the game journalists review your game is shitty and unethical i'm glad they are doing away w that.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
So, been playing a lot, go check with Vik for any new upgrades, get a tarot reading from Misty before heading to a nearby gang event for some cash, only to realize I couldn't use any of my weapons, or items; all character actions were blocked, and stamina and health unviewable.

I went through half-hour of autosave and tracked it down to a reproducible bug: head back to the Nomad camp after the Storm mission and talk to Panam, and the game will disable actions during the convo but won't re-enable afterwards. Reloading/restarting doesn't work, and neither does getting killed. Might be possible to fix with another event that properly disables/re-enables it, but probably best to avoid.

Edit: FUCK. Checking out the bug, I forgot to make a manual save after getting control back. Now all my autosaves are fucked with me unable to use weapons, and my last manual save is over an hour old. Not as bad as it could be, and I'll check if I can fix it, but fuck.

Edit2: Got control back. A cutscene that takes control from you should give it back. Failing that, a joytoy visit will work, if anyone else encounters this at some point.

Thanks for doing all the troubleshooting. Glad I read that. You should absolutely report that since you did a lot of legwork already.

Playing on PS5, maybe 5 hours in, just got to Act 2. A few thoughts:
  • After playing through Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, and Ghosts of Tsushima...these graphics are disappointing to say the least.
  • The density of people and cars outside of certain pockets of the city is much less than it was on GTA 5 or Watch Dogs 2 or Legion...
  • Game has hard crashed 4 times. Luckily, it autosaves often, so not the end of the world.
  • The story and characters are intriguing so far, but I am glossing over the ridiculous amount of lore.
  • Why are the menu systems the most unintuitive thing in the entire world?
  • Why are elements of the game completely unexplained? I had to look up why I kept getting set on fire...apparently netrunners hack you. Good to know.
  • Driving feels like shit.
  • Gunplay is much better than I thought it would be.
  • No adaptive triggers or haptics on Dual Sense...really missing those features.
Still having a fun time, just not sure exactly what the hype is about yet.

Revenge

I took 2 pictures with Crowd Density in High and next in Low.

Low is the same settings that consoles can do, including the next gen ones, till they receive the patch next year. The difference is very noticeable.

I also tested dropping the resolution in 50% to create a Cpu bottleneck. I got 80fps with Crowd in High and 105fps in low. That's my Cpu limit. I have an i5-8400.

YkrQIlw.png

X2GhKaG.png

Last edited:

John2290

Low is the same settings that consoles can do, including the next gen ones, till they receive the patch next year. The difference is very noticeable.

I also tested dropping the resolution in 50% to create a Cpu bottleneck. I got 80fps with Crowd in High and 105fps in low. That's my Cpu limit. I have an i5-8400.

YkrQIlw.png

X2GhKaG.png
Not sure you're right on this one, my streets are packed on PRO, somewhere between the top and bottom image but as packed as the top image in some areas, I'm hoping this is one area where they can cut it down to get the other stuff running better and cut the traffic too, there is so much traffic that if you go to a street crossing and hesitate the street fills with cars and they're fast fuckers too, no speed limits in inner city NC.

Inviusx

Hey its definitely worth turning off HDR. The raised blacks really hurt this games overall look. I'm on PS5 so I've turned it off at the system level.

Switch it off and don't look back IMHO.

Krisprolls

Banned

goty

Ah ah. I laughed when they all do the same move at the first gunshot.

I like the game but yeah it was so overhyped... The open world itself sucks hard. NPCs are totally braindead, it's far worse than GTA 5 which was like 10 years ago... Sure, quests are nice, but that's still a bit disappointing. It's a nice game, but right now I'm not even sure it's game of the year material. It's mostly a basic open world with braindead NPCs repeating their one liners and tons of junk to get on the floor ala Fallout. I'm so bored catching things on the ground, I think I got like 200 objects in the Maelstrom gang place. Seriously ? I'm not the housecleaner, CDPR, make it automatic if you want to give me 200 objects in 10 minutes.

And those parts suck on every platform, it's not like PC makes the NPCs smarter...

Once again, I enjoy the game, especially the main quest, but the second coming of Jesus it's certainly not. It would have needed 2 more years at least to improve the NPCs and the open world itself. It feels inferior to GTA 5 from 10 years ago in many ways. And that's without talking about the bugs or the last gen versions.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Hawk269

Just put about 2 hours into the game on PS5 after the patch and yeah, it is improved as far as clarity and it does not look as blurry as it was before. I replayed some sections and you can easily tell that stuff has been improved. The pedestrian and vehicle population is still low though so that did not change. Been waiting on the Xbox patch to see how that has improved...but the patch is still not out.

The game has a pretty conspicuous problem with its world not being as simulated as you'd expect. It doesn't have traffic AI. It's like Driver 3. A lot of the tech is very impressive. The world is very detailed. I think it's a really good game overall, at least on PC. But it's way more held together with duct tape than you'd expect. The way police behave is what happens when you don't have driving AI in your game and the game has to cheat. I think they ran into Sniper Ghost Warrior 3-style problems. (In that game , all traffic had to be removed like a month before release because the NPC-driven cars kept crashing.)

I'm curious how much this game will change with patches. They have massive amounts of money. Will they rewrite the traffic systems in due time to work properly? The crowd systems to be more persistent?

Dynasty8

Just put about 2 hours into the game on PS5 after the patch and yeah, it is improved as far as clarity and it does not look as blurry as it was before. I replayed some sections and you can easily tell that stuff has been improved. The pedestrian and vehicle population is still low though so that did not change. Been waiting on the Xbox patch to see how that has improved...but the patch is still not out.

Yeah, I'm also waiting on the Xbox patch to start playing it on my Series X. I refuse to start the game until at least 1.04 is out.

Quick question for those who have played on the Series X...does switching to Quality mode (30fps) improve things such as Density of the crowded city? I would much rather play on Performance mode (60fps), but if Quality is handling things much better, I might just have to bite the bullet and play my first playthrough in 30.

Krisprolls

Banned

That's great having 3 times more braindead NPCs for immersion. Now if they could have some sort of AI when you shoot them and more than 1 line of dialogue each, we could start believing in the world itself a bit more.

Maybe in Cyberpunk 2 in 10 years.

Odradek

Banned
Yeah, I'm also waiting on the Xbox patch to start playing it on my Series X. I refuse to start the game until at least 1.04 is out.

Quick question for those who have played on the Series X...does switching to Quality mode (30fps) improve things such as Density of the crowded city? I would much rather play on Performance mode (60fps), but if Quality is handling things much better, I might just have to bite the bullet and play my first playthrough in 30.

I would also like to know if quality mode boosts things in most other areas on Series X. Might consider trading up from playing on PS5 to XSX.

Haven't been posting much because I'm enjoying the game way too much. Will be my game of the generation. I'm in complete awe; just an awesome, intense, and already unforgettable experience.

Granted, the cut/missing features, overall weird decisions are genuinely good reasons to be upset about, but even then, it's still GOTY. This is CDPR we're talking about. They'll fix the bugs, add features, and release great DLC's soon enough.

Can't help but feel bad for console players, but come on: Imagine expecting a next gen experience on a poverty console from 2013. What the fuck did you expect.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
In RDR2 if I nudge someone with my horse a bit half the cops in the game want to kill me. In this game if I run over 10 people cops instantly port in but lose interest in 4 seconds. They only know how to shoot from foot and don’t have AI to get in their cars and chase it seems.

Hawk269

Oh yeah it does. It is a massive difference in my opinion on Quality mode. Not only that the resolution is higher in quality mode, but as you pointed out it is at 30fps. I was mainly playing performance, but with the improved image quality and the much improved pedestrian density is worth it. I just played a section on PS5 that I played on Series X and the on some streets there would be no pedestrians at all or maybe a few...on Series X you were literally dodging people.

That is not to say the PS5 version is barren, in certain areas it is crowded, like when you first walk out of your apartment, but when you go down some streets the amount of NPC's walking around is really low.

I am curious how the performance mode after the 1.04 patch works on Series X because I just played 2 hours on PS5 which runs at 60fps and is basically forced performance since it does not have a quality option and it looks a lot better than it did prior to the patch.

norm9

This is what I'm building towards. I want to be like a Sith with dark side powers in KOTOR games. It would be cool if you just walk in everything short circuits, cameras go out, and people's head start popping. Like a violent version of this...
It's wild, other than the overpowered psychos, I'm straight up killing the normal bad guys with one or two quick hacks. And each kill speeds up the cooldown and gives me RAM, so I'm just going down my list of hacks going from bad guy to bad guy. "YOu get a zap! He gets a zap! You get a zap!" (more like, ping/short circuit/overheat/repeat)

Haven't had to touch my pistol in a long while.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
Man the bosses are getting tough. I had to change up strategies multiple times to finish the recent one. I cannot wait to see ones later in the game.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's wild, other than the overpowered psychos, I'm straight up killing the normal bad guys with one or two quick hacks. And each kill speeds up the cooldown and gives me RAM, so I'm just going down my list of hacks going from bad guy to bad guy. "YOu get a zap! He gets a zap! You get a zap!"

It's kinda neat, but seems too easy. The shooting is really fun and a bit more challenging at least on a higher difficulty.

Btw, I went from averaging 60 - 80 fps, to well over 100 after the hotfix. Even while driving. 1080Ti, 32 gb ram, 2700x, Gsync monitor. Download that shit asap if you haven't.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Crowd Density - High(30fps):
High-Density.jpg

Crowd Density - Medium(33fps):
Med-Density.jpg

Crowd Density - Low(36fps):
Low-Density.jpg

Crowd Density - PS4 Pro(Youtube screenshot from this vid
ps4pro.jpg
---
It's wild, other than the overpowered psychos, I'm straight up killing the normal bad guys with one or two quick hacks. And each kill speeds up the cooldown and gives me RAM, so I'm just going down my list of hacks going from bad guy to bad guy. "YOu get a zap! He gets a zap! You get a zap!"

giphy.gif

norm9

It's kinda neat, but seems too easy. The shooting is really fun and a bit more challenging at least on a higher difficulty.
I don't mind that it makes it easy. It is a power fantasy after all. I have barely any points invested in my weapons, so not worth using them since it barely connects.

Dynasty8

Oh yeah it does. It is a massive difference in my opinion on Quality mode. Not only that the resolution is higher in quality mode, but as you pointed out it is at 30fps. I was mainly playing performance, but with the improved image quality and the much improved pedestrian density is worth it. I just played a section on PS5 that I played on Series X and the on some streets there would be no pedestrians at all or maybe a few...on Series X you were literally dodging people.

That is not to say the PS5 version is barren, in certain areas it is crowded, like when you first walk out of your apartment, but when you go down some streets the amount of NPC's walking around is really low.

I am curious how the performance mode after the 1.04 patch works on Series X because I just played 2 hours on PS5 which runs at 60fps and is basically forced performance since it does not have a quality option and it looks a lot better than it did prior to the patch.

Awesome, thanks.

Would you say the current "non-next gen" version you're playing right now is running better on PS5's "forced" performance mode or the Series X's Performance mode? Can you tell a difference at all? I am contemplating which console to start on since I own both next gens as well.

Hopefully Patch 1.04 releases soon for Xbox and doesn't take till next week.

Dynasty8

What difficulty do you recommend? The Souls games, Sekiro, and BB are some of my fav games ever. I love good challenges in games, but I'm also not a fan of artificial difficulty that simply just increases enemies HP and allows them to one shot you. My guess is it's the latter.

Hawk269

Awesome, thanks.

Would you say the current "non-next gen" version you're playing right now is running better on PS5's "forced" performance mode or the Series X's Performance mode? Can you tell a difference at all? I am contemplating which console to start on since I own both next gens as well.

Hopefully Patch 1.04 releases soon for Xbox and doesn't take till next week.
I would recommend the Series X version. It looks better in performance mode and if you play in quality mode, it looks even better and you get the massive boost in pedestrians walking around. Both are great, no doubt and the 1.04 on PS improved things. But overall, I would suggest the Series X version since it was already running at a higher resolution in both modes and in performance I have not seen any drops, but I also have a VRR display so that would hide them a bit. Again, both are great but feel the Series X version is a bit better.

IntentionalPun

What difficulty do you recommend? The Souls games, Sekiro, and BB are some of my fav games ever. I love good challenges in games, but I'm also not a fan of artificial difficulty that simply just increases enemies HP and allows them to one shot you. My guess is it's the latter.
I'm playing on the second highest (one above the default.) Enemies have a decent amount of HP but they aren't total sponges particularly if you land headshots. No one is one shot killing you, but it's enough to make it a challenge.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Whatever that patch did on PS5 helped the visuals tremendously, it looks way more coherent and crisp now. It’s a substantial improvement.

Isendurl

That's great having 3 times more braindead NPCs for immersion. Now if they could have some sort of AI when you shoot them and more than 1 line of dialogue each, we could start believing in the world itself a bit more.

Maybe in Cyberpunk 2 in 10 years.
I think NPCs might be bugged on consoles, because when I shoot, they immediately start screaming and running away, but from what I saw on consoles they just duck.

Also, not sure why everyone wants NPCs to have multiple dialogue lines and why reddit is having a meltdown that there is no barber in the game.
Are those features really so important for people? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Are the voices different for the different starting characters?

The "street kid" chick sounds like a 40 year old lesbian 2 pack a day smoker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom