• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 reaches 25 million copies sold | Phantom Liberty sold 3 million in the first week

I understand where you are coming from but CDPR never get it right the first time. Witcher 3 was damn near unplayable on last gen consoles for a while. I remember Witcher 1 having absolutely horrible load times on my pc until the enhanced edition (or whatever it was called). Plus you got all the buggy releases of Bethesda Game Studios over the years. Some devs, it’s just best to wait for a few patches (or many) before diving in. Hell, I rarely buy day 1 from any dev unless I know for certain they don’t release buggy games (that list keeps getting shorter). Even the much praised Baulder‘s Gate 3 has some very serious performance problems and bugs (in act 3 apparently). I ain’t touching that game until they fix it up more. Anyone who played Cyberpunk in 2020 briefly on consoles and gave up on it, should give it another chance. But if you had your fill, then yeah I understand you opinion of moving on.
The launch on consoles, especially last gen, was the worst of any major studio in gaming history. It wasn't even comparable to Bethesda games. It was literally unplayable. Not to mention, how deceitful CDPR completely refused to allow journalists to play console versions. It was super scummy, which was so ironic because up until that point they were known as the most pro-gamer studio in existence.

I understand that CDPR felt the need to release the game to protect shareholders. And the game still sold incredibly well on release. But, in hindsight, given how much the companies stock tanked, you can't tell me that delaying the game another year and canceling last gen versions wouldn't have been a better financial decision. And gamers wouldn't view CDPR in such a negative light as they do nowadays

Dazraell

Stupid to not do more DLC.
They're making a proper sequel with a team that made 2.0 and Phantom Liberty. I think it's a smart choice. It should allow them to fully address some of the fundamental Cyberpunk's shortcomings that couldn't be fixed with patches and use all of that experience they got and forge it into a new game that may be even better. So hopefully we will have a game that is much more reactive to player's playstyle, where choices and protagonist's origin has a bigger impact during quests, deeper RPG systems, etc

Last edited:
Great but not amazing. I think it would have got here far quicker if it was good at launch.

In comparison Elden ring, Tears for the Kingdom and Hogwarts legacy are likely close to this already in less time.

Gamezone

Gold Member
F7roBwObcAAGre9

PC gaming is doomed, right?
It's doomed because everyone will pirate PC games. Yet Cyberpunk achieved these results without DRM.

Great but not amazing. I think it would have got here far quicker if it was good at launch.

In comparison Elden ring, Tears for the Kingdom and Hogwarts legacy are likely close to this already in less time.
I can't understand how so many bought Elden Ring and how many have actually finished it?

Wingnut

After 2.5 years of incremental updates, do people here generally believe Cyberpunk 2077 delivers an overall better package than The Witcher 3? Personally, I still believe Cyberpunk is a solid step down from W3, and this is coming from someone who has always been more engrossed by the sci-fi genre than fantasy. Hopefully the sequel is much better and the studio doesn't promise features and gameplay elements that don't materialize.
I love Cyberpunk but couldn’t stand Witcher 3. I had to quit out after 1h.

For me Cyberpunk is the way better game in terms of gameplay and world

ProtoByte

I don't think they deserve the celebration. This game is still fundamentally not what they pitched it was. The lies were just too much for me to overlook. The story is quite generic and not at all speculative as sci-fi should be.

As much as this forum seems to hate resources going to television shows, there's sure a lot of glazing for an anime that had next to nothing to do with CDPR.

Sorne

I love Cyberpunk but couldn’t stand Witcher 3. I had to quit out after 1h.

For me Cyberpunk is the way better game in terms of gameplay and world
Same, it's better in every single way.

Obviously it's a matter of preference.

Last edited:
Same, it's better in every single way.

Obviously it's a matter of preference.

CP feels like the next-gen GTA first person game we never got in a decade lol

I like the world of cyberpunk way better too...just far more unique....and the characters/dialogue are really funny at times

ClosBSAS

Not deserved, gimmick to sell you an overhyped game with million of issues.
lmao what? 68% on pc sales for phantom liberty says it all. on pc it was mostly fine on launch, beat it on version 1.0 and ive beaten it 2 more times ever since. absolutely deserving.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
25 million is an excellent number for the time of release.

But let's be honest, the game was being sold for $9.99 almost through out 2022, hell that's the price I bought it for as well.

Raven117

Its a great game now.

I don't understand the people saying "they lied" in the beginning. What did they "lie" about (other than just the game working properly).

Pimpbaa

360 people times 5000 dollars average salary times 12 months times 3 years = 65 million USD

And then the marketing, rent, software licenses etc.

Revisionist history, Witcher 3 was fine on release on all platforms (not perfect, crookbag bog had low framerate). If it had been "near uplayable" the reception would be what Cyberpunk got. Witcher 3 was received great though, enjoyed by millions, right at launch.

Witcher 3 on ps4 (and Xbox one) had serious framerate issues (in the low 20s at times) like Novigrad or Crookback Bog. Textures and NPCs in Novigrad took forever to load in. And even opening your inventory was painfully slow. This was all mostly fixed later, but it was bad at launch and definitely far from fine. Cyberpunk’s launch was obviously worse. I think most expected framerate issues and bugs due to CDPR’s history, but not to that extent. And it certainly was scummy of them to hide the console version from reviewers (as was pointed out in a reply to my post). But I always give a dev a chance if they fix what they broke. Although some games are a lost cause, like Redfall.

Top Bottom