• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 reaches 25 million copies sold | Phantom Liberty sold 3 million in the first week

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Sure, I played them on release, PS4 and PC

Still dont agree with you calling PC the "leading platform". The game ran like shit on consoles, but they've dictated how much geometry, models and etc. CDPR should put in the environment, for example. They made the game while thinking about the consoles limitations.

An example: Phantom Liberty. It's much more taxing on the hardware 'cause they've designed it around the new consoles instead of old gen consoles. Not PC.

This is not a Crysis situation where they design the game around PC hardware, and years later we see a console version 'cause they are finally powerful enough to run it

This is not a Crysis situation because Crysis was demade for consoles later and Cyberpunk was demade and released in a mess of a state at the same time. But yeah, whatever.

After 2.5 years of incremental updates, do people here generally believe Cyberpunk 2077 delivers an overall better package than The Witcher 3? Personally, I still believe Cyberpunk is a solid step down from W3, and this is coming from someone who has always been more engrossed by the sci-fi genre than fantasy. Hopefully the sequel is much better and the studio doesn't promise features and gameplay elements that don't materialize.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
After 2.5 years of incremental updates, do people here generally believe Cyberpunk 2077 delivers an overall better package than The Witcher 3? Personally, I still believe Cyberpunk is a solid step down from W3, and this is coming from someone who has always been more engrossed by the sci-fi genre than fantasy. Hopefully the sequel is much better and the studio doesn't promise features and gameplay elements that don't materialize.
I think overall, I enjoyed playing Cyberpunk 2077 more than Witcher 3. But I think the story and exploration were way more fun Witcher 3.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
What? Deserved since 2.0 at best.

Day one was a horrible mess of a lie, and CDPR lost a lot of trust.
gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

Masterpiece.
Witcher has garbage gameplay.

Last edited:

ungalo

I think TW3 has the edge when it comes to the way it delivers parts of the side content, especially in regard to the open world.

I would also say in the choices you can make but after replaying TW3 and Cyberpunk i tend to think the game are more similar than i though before on that aspect (plus it's personal but i think it fits well that Cyberpunk make us powerless and the choices are more how we react to things than how we make an impact) and TW3 just put more emphasis on them.

But as for the rest, i think Cyberpunk is way more complex and CDPR probably learned a lot in the process.

SpearFist

Congrats to CDPR, amazing game and expansion.

What did those clowns of retardera were able to achieve by banning hogwarts and cyberpunk ? Nothing. Those twats aint got any power outside their mommas basement. Fo losers

DeaDPo0L84

Why? after what namco said about elden ring and armored core having 40% of sales on pc and bobby fuktic testimony revealing pc being the largest none mobile platform for cod it's time we stop assuming pc sales are a fraction of console sales.
It's also only going to become more and more apparent. So many people have either completely transitioned to PC gaming or picked it up as a second option to their console. This isn't me saying consoles are gonna go away soon but developers aren't dumb, hence why you're seeing more and more games come to PC, turns out businesses like making money.

DeaDPo0L84

I can get a copy of the game for less than £25 but its for the GOG version. Is there any downside with that? i.e. would I be missing out on any mods (if there are any) if I opted for the GOG version rather than the steam version?
I have owned the GOG version since day 1, it has no drawbacks whatsoever when it comes to mods, you install them exactly the same way as Steam.

hinch7

Deserved. While the base game was unacceptable for console release at the time.. its a really game that got a rocky launch.

They really turned it around after all that with the DLC's, patches and heck TV show. You could also say the game rn is what it should've been.. but that you can't deny CDPR's fantastic work on the franchise.

Last edited:

Flabagast

Congrats to CDPR, amazing game and expansion.

What did those clowns of retardera were able to achieve by banning hogwarts and cyberpunk ? Nothing. Those twats aint got any power outside their mommas basement. Fo losers
The dedicated resetera OT (which is the only place where you can discuss CP77) is very very positive about the game though.

Draugoth

Gold Member
I can get a copy of the game for less than £25 but its for the GOG version. Is there any downside with that? i.e. would I be missing out on any mods (if there are any) if I opted for the GOG version rather than the steam version?

GOG version is as good as the Steam version

Really enjoyed both the main game and Phantom Liberty but just a shame the game released in the state it did. Even now, i've come across a game breaking bug in Phantom Liberty which is crazy.

The game was clearly released in an unfinished state and that was beyond repair by CDPR. I still see a lot of the 1.0 version junk, like ugly NPCs and police running into walls when trying to chase me down.

Last edited:
Moment-to-moment Cyberpunk is more fun, but Witcher 3 had a more profound impact on me.

Gp1

When you see Bethesda hyping Starfield like the second coming, you see how good Cyberpunk is even with the 1.0 mess

Raven117

The core concept of cyberpunk 2077 is great.... they just absolutely botched the execution at release.

2.0 and Phantom Liberty seems like the game they wanted to make. The changes they made really helps clear up the irritation to really enjoy the world they created. And its absolutely fantastic.
Whether its as good as Witcher 3. I mean...that comes down to preference.

Not if you played on old gen consoles. That was the worst gaming performance I ever experienced
Game shouldnt of been available on old consoles that was the issue. And for any informed person they should of known that game would have issues tbh maybe not to the extent they were but i dont know in the end its their fault for shipping it in that condition but obviously it made financial sense with the next gen install base being so low and covid supply restraints. Just a shitty situation where i feel bad for both parties being cdpr and the consumer. Cdpr’s hand was forced and it’s definitely not the consumers fault

Last edited:
I wonder if Cyberpunk will one day surpass The Witcher 3 in copies sold. TW3 is eternally evergreen and now that it's been revamped, I think Cyberpunk will be like that too

The core concept of cyberpunk 2077 is great.... they just absolutely botched the execution at release.

2.0 and Phantom Liberty seems like the game they wanted to make. The changes they made really helps clear up the irritation to really enjoy the world they created. And its absolutely fantastic.
Whether its as good as Witcher 3. I mean...that comes down to preference.
Yeah, version 2.0 is a fantastic game. It may still slightly disappoint some fans, but that is on CDPR by setting up unrealistic expectations leading up to release. For me, The Witcher 3 is still the better game, but the Cyberpunk IP has a much higher ceiling going forward than The Witcher series imo. After playing 2.0, I'm disappointed that CDPR's next game is Witcher 4. Not that it won't be fantastic, but there are already so many games set with the backdrop being medieval fantasy. I'm not sure what the Witcher 4 could do that would surprise me as a gamer like Cyberpunk2077 has done. Cyberpunk has many flaws, but it is one of the most unique gaming worlds I have ever played. The potential is so much greater

Raven117

Yeah, version 2.0 is a fantastic game. It may still slightly disappoint some fans, but that is on CDPR by setting up unrealistic expectations leading up to release. For me, The Witcher 3 is still the better game, but the Cyberpunk IP has a much higher ceiling going forward than The Witcher series imo. After playing 2.0, I'm disappointed that CDPR's next game is Witcher 4. Not that it won't be fantastic, but there are already so many games set with the backdrop being medieval fantasy. I'm not sure what the Witcher 4 could do that would surprise me as a gamer like Cyberpunk2077 has done. Cyberpunk has many flaws, but it is one of the most unique gaming worlds I have ever played. The potential is so much greater
Interesting. I mean, I definitely want me some Witcher 4 but without Geralt, who knows if it will be as good. That character did a lot of heavy lifting.

But the world of cyberpunk is remarkable. The details they put in it. The combat (which is now great). They have a lot of places they can go with it,

Pimpbaa

Must be a lot of console players still pissed about the state of the game on last gen. I bought it after a few patches for my PS4 Pro, it’s was pretty bad but I was as happy as a pig in shit when the next gen version was released for PS5. Many are denying themselves a great fucking game (especially with Phantom Liberty). Game still looks amazing in pure rasterization especially with a TV with good HDR. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to be playing this with a 4090 and path tracing enable but I don’t even have the money for a midrange GPU at the moment.

They just couldn't resist that userbase that in the end cost them a lot more than it was worth it. We all knew it was bullshit that it could run on PS4/X1 when we saw the footage.
y'know, how i managed to both play it & thoroughly enjoy the game on ps4 is beyond me. i mean, i've still got my save, so i know i didn't just imagine it...

EDMIX

Must be a lot of console players still pissed about the state of the game on last gen. I bought it after a few patches for my PS4 Pro, it’s was pretty bad but I was as happy as a pig in shit when the next gen version was released for PS5. Many are denying themselves a great fucking game (especially with Phantom Liberty). Game still looks amazing in pure rasterization especially with a TV with good HDR. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to be playing this with a 4090 and path tracing enable but I don’t even have the money for a midrange GPU at the moment.

I mean sure, they made a bad impression and it cost them. That is more CDPR's fault then anything.

Gamers have no ode to return to play yet another 100 hours cause the developer 3 years later is saying, finally, really, ok FOR REAL now the game is complete and finished. Maybe next time make a complete game at release, not 3 years of obvious early access.

I'm willing to give that pass to multiplayer games based on generally how people play them, where its sort of an on and off type thing, but with a single player game, who is spending 100 hours playing in 2020, then another 100 hours playing in 2021 cause a patch, oh but another playthrough in 2022, ohhhhhh but ok, for real, the final, final one....in 2023.

Fuck no man, they are right to move on and imho, they should play when they put out some remaster with the game complete and intact. I'm not against early access btw, I'm against a company selling a single player game at full price, incomplete and then spending 3 years continuing development under the guise of "patches".

I simply can't ask someone to keep playing a single player story based on piece meal patches lol It makes no sense and I completely understand why they may have lost a massive segment of their base of potential fans. For all we know, if released for the FIRST TIME this year, they could have been looking at life time RDR2 numbers.

If they can do this at 25 million, it tells me those that wanted to like this ,wanted to support them and believed them, would have gladly bought this game 2023 as a final release, not a 3 year patch or something. So we won't know the full damage that who rushed release may have done to them.

Even myself who doesn't really mind playing games 2 or 3 times, found myself no longer seeking to play it again even with all those patches. I simply don't wish to hear that story again for 70 hours of something that should have been complete when I first bought it, I'll simply get the DLC when its on sale (or free) and call it a day lol

We can't make our first experience with that game disappear.

Pimpbaa

I mean sure, they made a bad impression and it cost them. That is more CDPR's fault then anything.

Gamers have no ode to return to play yet another 100 hours cause the developer 3 years later is saying, finally, really, ok FOR REAL now the game is complete and finished. Maybe next time make a complete game at release, not 3 years of obvious early access.

I'm willing to give that pass to multiplayer games based on generally how people play them, where its sort of an on and off type thing, but with a single player game, who is spending 100 hours playing in 2020, then another 100 hours playing in 2021 cause a patch, oh but another playthrough in 2022, ohhhhhh but ok, for real, the final, final one....in 2023.

Fuck no man, they are right to move on and imho, they should play when they put out some remaster with the game complete and intact. I'm not against early access btw, I'm against a company selling a single player game at full price, incomplete and then spending 3 years continuing development under the guise of "patches".

I simply can't ask someone to keep playing a single player story based on piece meal patches lol It makes no sense and I completely understand why they may have lost a massive segment of their base of potential fans. For all we know, if released for the FIRST TIME this year, they could have been looking at life time RDR2 numbers.

If they can do this at 25 million, it tells me those that wanted to like this ,wanted to support them and believed them, would have gladly bought this game 2023 as a final release, not a 3 year patch or something. So we won't know the full damage that who rushed release may have done to them.

Even myself who doesn't really mind playing games 2 or 3 times, found myself no longer seeking to play it again even with all those patches. I simply don't wish to hear that story again for 70 hours of something that should have been complete when I first bought it, I'll simply get the DLC when its on sale (or free) and call it a day lol

We can't make our first experience with that game disappear.

I understand where you are coming from but CDPR never get it right the first time. Witcher 3 was damn near unplayable on last gen consoles for a while. I remember Witcher 1 having absolutely horrible load times on my pc until the enhanced edition (or whatever it was called). Plus you got all the buggy releases of Bethesda Game Studios over the years. Some devs, it’s just best to wait for a few patches (or many) before diving in. Hell, I rarely buy day 1 from any dev unless I know for certain they don’t release buggy games (that list keeps getting shorter). Even the much praised Baulder‘s Gate 3 has some very serious performance problems and bugs (in act 3 apparently). I ain’t touching that game until they fix it up more. Anyone who played Cyberpunk in 2020 briefly on consoles and gave up on it, should give it another chance. But if you had your fill, then yeah I understand you opinion of moving on.

Denton

I can't believe an expansion takes $63 million to create WTH. The quality is definitely AAA tier though.
360 people times 5000 dollars average salary times 12 months times 3 years = 65 million USD

And then the marketing, rent, software licenses etc.

Witcher 3 was damn near unplayable on last gen consoles for a while.

Revisionist history, Witcher 3 was fine on release on all platforms (not perfect, crookbag bog had low framerate). If it had been "near uplayable" the reception would be what Cyberpunk got. Witcher 3 was received great though, enjoyed by millions, right at launch.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Bought cyberpunk+liberty city expansion, played through the main game then moved straight into liberty city expansion and i must say , visually amazing, made me upgrade my PC, and had a blast.

Totally worth the 60 bucks.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Good to know, that straight up PC games still exist. They knocked it out of the park for supporting this game.

Top Bottom