• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters

Reave

I'm probably one of maybe three people that are curious about this.

Wondering how this game might look/perform on GeForce Now and Stadia.

GeForce Now will obviously have RTX, but Stadia makes me wonder. Might they get it at 4K/30?

Jesper88

Neo Member
Pretty good reviews, im abit worried about the bugs, but hopefully the day 1 patch will fix most of it! I have never been this excited about a game before and only 2 days left!

I don’t know why anyone was expecting this game not to have a huge amount of bugs. It’s not ready and it was never going to be ready in time but theyre releasing it anyway because people would go nuts if it delayed again.

The truely finished game won’t be available for probably another year. It’s always games that try to really expand on player agency in the world that have bugs. I mean bethesda is canned for their bugs but they have so much more played agency in their game’s than anything else. It’s the trade off you have to accept for such ambitious game design.

when we can get machine learning up to a point where it can analyse complex code and flag bugs more precisely this stuff will start to become a thing of the past and we will get truly complex worlds, but alas that’s still probably another ten years away and probably two gens worth of consoles. Still. We‘re going to see some amazing shit this gen. This game was started snd built primarily around ps4 and Xbox one level hardware and this is what we are seeing now? It’s freakin amazing and the future looks bright.

Game seems quite short, I will play through now just because I can’t wait even though I know I’d enjoy it more if I did, I will play again in the future though and see how much it’s improved.

YuLY

It does seem like the game has some bugs, which obviously is a fair criticism. I'm thinking I might not play this on Friday night but waiting until right after X-mas day so I can enjoy it in peace during the off work holiday. This way maybe they can squash some of the bugs. None of them seem gamebreaking but I do lose immersion when I see chars floating or in t-pose.

I've waited 8 years, I can wait 2 more weeks. This is Cd Projket Red, I am 100% sure they will fix this game as soon as possible and it will be the great game we all wanted. Some say they should have still delayed it. I dunno, sometimes you just need to finally release something and start working from there, else you always start to wonder hey maybe I can change this also, maybe we can add this, and you get into feature creep again. Its all good in my book, I trust this company to do right by this game.

ethomaz

Banned
Game that is delayed a million times and is surrounded by the stench of development hell turns out to be shit.
I thought Minamoto said something different.

8iAQGch.jpg

But now we have patches that can make a rushed game good eventually.
In their case I believe they could have delayed it a bit more for polishment.

CDPR just need more time/patches to makes the game ok.

Last edited:

xviper

"Damn you CDPR, stop delaying CP2077, we want to play it"

"Damn you CDPR, why did you release a buggy game"

It's just like when The Witcher 3 released, messy bugged game

Let the devs take their time finishing their game instead of literally fucking threatening them to release it earlier

After reading some of the reviews looks like it's great game with a ton of bug which is pretty much what happened with TW1 and TW2.
Now do I play it now or wait few weeks that is a question.

The entire idea of even judging this game based on how it handles transgender issues is totally insane. She talks about "fetishization at every turn", but that's because she often sees that one ad that uses a woman with a dick to sell a drink. I'm sure all the billboards repeat just like they do in real life.

It's all based on one stupid ad, which is totally in keeping with the cyberpunk genre and the crass commodification of sexuality, by the way, as you point out. That's it - so because the game has this ad it has to stop to consider transgender people? It's a sci-fi action game - think about how insane that is. The whole thing is just a concocted, manufactured bullshit controversy.
But she's not judging the game based on just the trans issues. The trans issue is the big example she wraps her critique about how the game handles culture and ethnicity. Her entire point is despite the genre's potential she feels the game has no real nuance in handling these things. Instead using them for cool wallpaper. Trans and the voddoo boys are the example of this.

I don't know this reviewer and I don't care to. Perhaps she is trans or is close to the issue. I have no idea. But yes it seems on more progressive leaning websites, they are docking the game for some of it's tone deaf substance.

This is wrong how?

emmerrei

I can say i have zero interest in this game, but i was looking at what resetera was doing and oh my god :messenger_tears_of_joy:
They are really convint that a Polish country, will ruin their game to adapt some features to support some American Wokeness? Didn't they understand that America isn't the world, and they need to stop to impose what the other country need to do? Stop exporting this shit, well, not only this, a lot of things that are light years far away from other realities.

MiguelItUp

Woke up to glowing reviews.

Thank god it’s not a bomba like many tried to predict.
Some apparently STILL want to believe it will fail too. Some people just want to rain on other's parades I suppose.
Watch the video? He said the 49gb patch did nothing
In Yong's video he mentioned that after downloading the patch and starting a new character a floating weapon bug (that occurred frequently) no longer occurred. So it probably fixed some other things as well. But if he played on his other save that existed BEFORE the patch, the bug still occurred. So it may have required a new save to take form. Take that as you will!

Last edited:
After reading almost all reviews it's kinda obvious for me that at least half of the reviewers had day 1 patch and the other half played without it. What a mess. Many reviewers state that game has few bugs but nothing game breaking and others state that they were swimming in bugs. Pretty strange

Could be, I almost feel like I'm in clown world listening to industry vets say they are downloading and even buying PS4 copies of games on accident with PS5.

cryogenic7

Here we go scapegoating underwhelming review scores with the high expectations by putting the blame on "muh sjw's" rather than maybe the game actually is not the second coming of christ.

So predictable
Um, the bad review scores have only been given by SJW activists so far, and the majority of their complaints are about SJW issues.

"Damn you CDPR, stop delaying CP2077, we want to play it"

"Damn you CDPR, why did you release a buggy game"

It's just like when The Witcher 3 released, messy bugged game

Let the devs take their time finishing their game instead of literally fucking threatening them to release it earlier

This doesn't seem on The Witcher 3 level at all though.

LordCBH

Its a pretend story. Made up. In a pretend world. In a videogame.

Why on earth people get so uppity about this shit is beyond me. Who the fuck cares. Play it or dont play it, nobody cares.
Set in a world that is all around horrible and full or horrible people. The shit gamespot dinged it for is stupid

Kuranghi

Close to 60fps with Ultra RT and DLSS at 1440p on a 3080 seams "ok" to me. The RT is pretty insane and will be crazy in motion. Lots of sceptics when it comes to RT but I'm a believer since WD: Legion. Only RT reflections but it changes so much. Fucking breakthrough tech IMO.

I'm just not interested in DLSS right now, only interested in the native res figures. DLSS makes locking to 60 possible so its great for those that want to use it. I've not been able to see native vs DLSS on my display yet though so I could be pleasantly surprised by how it looks, I do notice the difference in youtube compressed DF video though so I'm not sure native will help in that regard, if anything will be more noticeable.

Chris Walken

Neo Member
After reading some reviews, this is what i get:

- Best city ever created in a videogame
- Solid FPS gameplay (not on melee)
- TOP NOTCH RPG elements, specially in choices/consequences.
- Side quests that are even better than the main quest, most of the reviews even say that are better than The Witcher 3
- Solid driving gameplay
- Amazing characters, story and script

So, if we take out the negativenes about major bugs and the "bigotry problematic" what we have...one of the best games ever made.

Again, this is only after reading reviews, not playing the game, my opinion probably will be very different as always.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I'm not too bugged by the reports of the er ... bugs ... even the PC Gamer article (78) reads like glowing praise of the game up through the very last paragraph, and it's clear the score is a reflection of the bugs. I think it's fair to knock a score for a technical reason like that. But the one or two sites which have allegedly knocked the game for social reasons ... too subjective a topic to include that in a review score in my opinion. Best to leave that out.

Any actual gamers from Era that want to discuss Cyberpunk reviews can register here. We like everyone as long as they aren't assholes.
A

First of all she based Days gone for having a male white lead. And that all Zombies are white which by the way was even eplained in the story.

Secondly: The whole point is that it is a DARK future.. It is a Dystopian Future owned by Corporations. There is Nothing good about it. Its, dark and its bleak.
About the trans issues. This is NEVER seen as positive. This is a world owned by corporation who do everything they can market. Sex sells and there for EVERYONE is sexualized why shoould trans people an exception here?

This is not about how "progressive" the world has become. Even though personally I see a lot of Fascism in these so called progressive movements. But thats not the point here.

Also just to note: You have NEVER seen anything Cyberpunk Material which it is based on or?
Fiction and reviews aren't made in a vacuum. The reviewer's problem is that all these handling of material lacks and depth to it. That in are current day it has nothing to say and instead just uses it for dark wallpaper. I have no idea, I haven't played the game. But I did have some caution about a polish developer making a US centric game like this and if the writing would be on the level. I have no idea if it is, but clearly she finds problem with it.

I mean even in her article she makes fan of its use of the cyperpunk corruption aspect. Yeah these are heartless and cold corporations that still trade on steryptical Japanese ethic writing. Is that good writing? Is that staying true to cyperpunk writing? Is that for the atmosphere? She did'nt think so. Is she wrong? Maybe? I don't know it's a review and she feels the writing falls flat. hardly a problem.

Um I've played the table top game, avid fan of Ghost in the Shell, Blade Runner, and cyperpunk film in general. Read many times Snow Crash and Nueromancer. You seem to be confused about what you are even arguing and upset that someone has a different perspective.

I've read that the gimped console versions haven't even been released to reveiwers yet. If the PC version is in this much of a mess, can you imagine how shit the console versions will be.
PC version is the best version, I hope console version is not a mess, but One S leaks looked terrible, if that the case, the backlash will be big and the score lower.

You just wholly fabricated some vast conspiracy filled with secretive corporate meetings and roadmap pivots based on your interpretation of 1 or 2 reviews and the paper tiger 'left' that's surely ruining EVERYTHING in your life.

I'm sure the CDPR execs are panicking at their 90 on MC and 91 on OC.

Oh be real. This was hyped as the Game of the Gen to put it mildly yet you can be certain it won't even hit a 90 on MC (the averages always drop a couple of points looking at the number of reviews currently).

A dev leak said that the bosses were aiming for this game to be a critical smash. That won't be the case at all.

Nikoran

Neo Member
- Side quests that are even better than the main quest, most of the reviews even say that are better than The Witcher 3

Honestly, that's all I'm really hoping for. I put a ton of hours into The Witcher 3 solely because the side content was great. If Cyberpunk is the same, I'll be happy.

But she's not judging the game based on just the trans issues. The trans issue is the big example she wraps her critique about how the game handles culture and ethnicity. Her entire point is despite the genre's potential she feels the game has no real nuance in handling these things. Instead using them for cool wallpaper. Trans and the voddoo boys are the example of this.

I don't know this reviewer and I don't care to. Perhaps she is trans or is close to the issue. I have no idea. But yes it seems on more progressive leaning websites, they are docking the game for some of it's tone deaf substance.

This is wrong how?
"tone deaf" btw

I'm just not interested in DLSS right now, only interested in the native res figures. DLSS makes locking to 60 possible so its great for those that want to use it. I've not been able to see native vs DLSS on my display yet though so I could be pleasantly surprised by how it looks, I do notice the difference in youtube compressed DF video though so I'm not sure native will help in that regard, if anything will be more noticeable.
Not interested in DLSS? Watch the Death Stranding DF video in case you need convincing. DLSS 2.0 is amazing!

JeTmAn81

Honestly, that's all I'm really hoping for. I put a ton of hours into The Witcher 3 solely because the side content was great. If Cyberpunk is the same, I'll be happy.

Nuanced quest writing is definitely CDPR's thing as evidenced by Witcher 3. I'm just hoping they can bring the same panache when not drawing from a universe as rich with existing writings (e.g. the Witcher novels).

Last edited:

Madflavor

It sounds to me like this game is going to have some really strong power creep when it comes to its quality as time goes by. Right now it's sitting at a 91 after 43 reviews. The main complaint is that it's very very very buggy, so it's safe to say that the bugs dragged its MC score down a few points.

That's said I would say by this time next year, not only will most of the bugs be polished and ironed out, we'll probably also have the next gen version by then, not to mention possibility of DLC. Long-term I see this game having a lot of staying power, and strong legs.

Boneless

I see why there was pressure to releasing though. I mean obviously they would've liked to keep it in the oven for another year, but PS5 has just released, and they build this for the PS4 as the main system.

Astorian

PC version is the best version, I hope console version is not a mess, but One S leaks looked terrible, if that the case, the backlash will be big and the score lower.
Console reviews won’t be added to the PC aggregate score btw so it seems like CDPR accomplished what they wanted for now.

Thanati

I’m looking forward to playing it. And yes, I’ll be one of the few playing it on Stadia. Hey, no 50 gig or whatever patch for me :)

This is wrong how?
Well, I've already explained to you exactly why it's wrong in connection to the trans issue. The voodoo boys issue is even more stupid. They actually used to be white guys, as imagined by Cyberpunk's original black creator, Mike Pondsmith. Pondsmith and CDPR then got together and decided it would be better if they turned this gang into Haitians and actually put in some effort to have that representation be accurate. So if it's good enough for the black creator of Cyberpunk, and presumably the Haitians who consulted on the project, why is not good enough for this white girl?

Come on, it's weak, and that's probably why reviewers who don't have their pronouns in their bios aren't going there. These people have just decided CDPR are the enemy and they're looking to have their bias confirmed.

Nikoran

Neo Member
Nuanced quest writing is definitely CDPR's thing as evidence by Witcher 3. I'm just hoping they can bring the same panache when not drawing from a universe as rich with existing writings (e.g. the Witcher novels).

They do have a bit from the original pen and paper game, but maybe not as much as they did from the witcher novels. It'll be interesting, though.

Kuranghi

Not interested in DLSS? Watch the Death Stranding DF video in case you need convincing. DLSS 2.0 is amazing!

Yeah I've seen it all, I prefer the native image 9/10, I don't really want to get into the reasons why here because at this point I just feel like I'm being a curmudgeon when DLSS is discussed. Don't want to be a downer if people love it. I've watched resolutions rise as the years have gone on and I'm still in awe at a native 4K in most games, I don't really want to go back to a lower res even if its "basically the same as native". I'm a bit of a stickler for pixel quality these days cause I got a giant TV.

Karunamon

They do have a bit from the original pen and paper game, but maybe not as much as they did from the witcher novels. It'll be interesting, though.

I'd like to think that gives them room to expand. There's always a downside with writing in a well-established universe.

AFAICT, CDPR's writing has always been solid, so I'm really looking forward to where they go with this.

Top Bottom