• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters
Why are SonyGAF so fragile ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AlR0tnc.jpg

MMaRsu

Banned
It’s all based on one ad? Have you played the game? Cause if not, I don’t think you are in a very strong position to boil down all the problems this reviewer has with the game in regards to trans issues to a singular ad in the game. They’ve actually played the game, mind you.

they are likely playing the game from a skewed and biased perspective yes, but it is wholly possible and even likely IMO that there are other areas of the game we haven’t seen yet that are extensions of the issues some people have with that ad

lmao

MiguelItUp

People seem to forget the bugs Witcher 3 had, google them and its very similar. If it wasnt a big problem then, why is it now?
Right?! Thank you! I've already seen 4-5 people talk about Witcher 3 like it was flawless at launch, and I was like, "Uhhhhh...."

The game was still playable, but it was definitely messy. But they apparently cleaned it up pretty good over time. I'm sure they'll do the same thing here.

Dunki

Fiction and reviews aren't made in a vacuum. The reviewer's problem is that all these handling of material lacks and depth to it. That in are current day it has nothing to say and instead just uses it for dark wallpaper. I have no idea, I haven't played the game. But I did have some caution about a polish developer making a US centric game like this and if the writing would be on the level. I have no idea if it is, but clearly she finds problem with it.

I mean even in her article she makes fan of its use of the cyperpunk corruption aspect. Yeah these are heartless and cold corporations that still trade on steryptical Japanese ethic writing. Is that good writing? Is that staying true to cyperpunk writing? Is that for the atmosphere? She did'nt think so. Is she wrong? Maybe? I don't know it's a review and she feels the writing falls flat. hardly a problem.

Um I've played the table top game, avid fan of Ghost in the Shell, Blade Runner, and cyperpunk film in general. Read many times Snow Crash and Nueromancer. You seem to be confused about what you are even arguing and upset that someone has a different perspective.
Giving the material it is from. It does exactly what the Pen and Paper does and wanted to do. This is not just dark wallpaper. Just because it does not say what you want them to say it is bad writing or bad world building. Because people so far who actually know the lore and the Universe say it is not only good writing but also excellent worldbuilding. With tons of characters that are well written and with deep personality. It is about people who are doing thier best in this dark dystopian future.

Again she was the one critizing a Biker joke, that the male lead was white and that the zombies where all white in her days gone review. Even though everything was explained (the joke even is a common joke under bikers) but she did not like it so she called it bad and juvenile.. Or she ignored completly the lore why these ombies were only withe

SHE NEVER cares for lore or story as long it does not say what she wants them to do.

What's even worse is it sets a bad precedent for massive day one patches to supposedly fix everything (even though people like skillup said that's impossible for this). Like it'll literally be unplayable for people without wifi.

Yes, I agree. Didn't even think about people without internet currently. Damn, that's going to be rough...

Cause some of the people going out of there way to try and cast as negative a light as possible are known Sony warriors who only cheerlead Sony exclusives.

Best to put those people on ignore and move on. Not worth ruining your mood.

ChazGW7

Whats funny? I personally don’t have an issue with the ads, but to sit here when you haven’t played the game and say “this reviewers problems are all because of one ad! Nothing else!” is a bit bonkers. You can’t make a definitive statement like that when you haven’t even played the fucking game. Now that to me is actually funny!

Ricky_Bee

Banned
Give me a concrete example of an idea, theme or message you'd like Cyberpunk 2077 to convey.

I mean, things can be about anything but I do tend to think any Modern Cyberpunk ought to address Wokeness/the lefts abandonment of liberalism in favour of totalitarian progressivism, Islam, the great replacement, China.

We do actually live in a Cyberpunk dystopia where megacorps assign social credit scores and anyone who doesn’t spend enough time loudly hating white people on twitter is not permitted to work.

Droxcy

Just came in here to say: Fuck ResetERA.

Enjoy Cyberpunk my fellow gamers. I for one am glad the OTT “politically correct” twats making a big deal over nothing are going to miss out on this game.

This.

Who gives a fuck about any rating ever lol, just play the game. People take stuff way too serious in life.

Isendurl

Yup CDRP make shitshow quality games that take about half a year for them to unfuck, and even in that process they end up fucking some aspects they've previously fixed.

Hyperbolic reviewers that don't care about fucking their readers with a buggy shitshow put the games on the highest pedestals they can find to bolster sales, and then the fanbois of said product tell the people suffering from all the bugs that they're wrong or stupid because X number of media outlets didn't mention said bugs. The review sites keep their AD revenue from the company and the company makes their sales with vague promises to fix all the bugs in their game, the consumer gets a bucket full of slop and has to enjoy it as is.

Dude, are you ok?
Should we send help?

Ricky_Bee

Banned
Whats funny? I personally don’t have an issue with the ads, but to sit here when you haven’t played the game and say “this reviewers problems are all because of one ad! Nothing else!” is a bit bonkers. You can’t make a definitive statement like that when you haven’t even played the fucking game. Now that to me is actually funny!

Progs are more than petty and vindictive enough to destroy lives and reputations over a single perceived slight though. And none of this is really about CP2077, it is all about WIII being a vastly popular work of implicit white identity and that progressives *cannot* risk that happening again.

Another interesting point:

You don't need to press any button to initiate an interaction/conversation with NPCs. Just walk towards them and the interaction menu with activate. While talking you can still move around do your stuff like collecting.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
This is one of those games that will have a terrible "official score" and a fantastic user score.... I can feel it.

User scores are usually more trustworthy than journalist scores. While there can be hurtful bombers out there, they are still being outperformed by people who actually enjoy the game.

Journalist reviews are bullshit as they are often paid for the right words or they are afraid to get excluded fr the list.

It’s all based on one ad? Have you played the game? Cause if not, I don’t think you are in a very strong position to boil down all the problems this reviewer has with the game in regards to trans issues to a singular ad in the game. They’ve actually played the game, mind you.

they are likely playing the game from a skewed and biased perspective yes, but it is wholly possible and even likely IMO that there are other areas of the game we haven’t seen yet that are extensions of the issues some people have with that ad
Why don't you go and read the review rather than trying to blindly defend it first? Read the paragraph in question, she makes it clear that the ad is the issue and she then dishonestly calls it "fetishization of trans people at every turn" because I guess the ad is all over. There is no other way to read that paragraph. Where are her other examples then?

PSYGN

Unfortunately, people are going to (already are, actually) give the game a pass for bugs. Which is fine, cool, but, like you said, it bothers me that other games got decked negatively for bugs but this does not. It is what it is. Will see how bad the bugs are come launch day.

Yes, only PC right now.

I think the more ambitious a game is, the more people are willing to overlook its shortcomings.

Buggy Loop

WTH, why are there so many different opinions on this, lol?!

Ultra settings on PC can get really ridiculous. Anyone remembers the Witcher 2 Ubersampling? Even with today’s hardware, it will bust the kneecaps of your top end PC hardware and fuck it from behind. CDPR does not mess around with scalability.

Wait for a Digital Foundry video which will go through the best settings for performance/eye candies. It’ll be much more lenient on hardware for amazing visuals than peoples think.

PSYGN

Right?! Thank you! I've already seen 4-5 people talk about Witcher 3 like it was flawless at launch, and I was like, "Uhhhhh...."

The game was still playable, but it was definitely messy. But they apparently cleaned it up pretty good over time. I'm sure they'll do the same thing here.

For sure they will fix all the issues since they are sitting on a gold mine right now by essentially creating a GTA in a futuristic/sci-fi setting that they can build upon. It might take another release for the gold mine to open up when they allow deeper customization in vehicles, etc., but people gobble that shit up especially if they get around to making it a multiplayer experience.

Last edited:

usp84

So besides the bugs, does this game appear to be a worthy open world "Deus Ex"?Can you play it with stealth and avoid combat?What is the consensus on that?

Hugare

Yeah idk why my Sony fans are flustered. I mean, cyberpunk is on playstation & cd Projekt red failed to even make top 5 of the year despite:

• 350 million budget
  • Exotic crunch,
  • Edgy & cocky marketing
  • twitter d*ck-waving cockiness about how good cd are and are top tier
  • 3 delays
  • 8 years of development.
  • Influencer hype

Did someone from Cdpr break into your house and kicked your dog or something?

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
So besides the bugs, does this game appear to be a worthy open world "Deus Ex"?Can you play it with stealth and avoid combat?What is the consensus on that?

Seems to be pretty malleable, obviously certain fights you can't avoid, but for the most part you can use stealth for takedowns. Yongyea said he pretty much played the game using pistols, stealth and hacking.

Isendurl

Yeah idk why my Sony fans are flustered. I mean, cyberpunk is on playstation & cd Projekt red failed to even make top 5 of the year despite:

• 350 million budget
  • Exotic crunch,
  • Edgy & cocky marketing
  • twitter d*ck-waving cockiness about how good cd are and are top tier
  • 3 delays
  • 8 years of development.
  • Influencer hype

You wished for Cyberpunk to score worst then Horizon so bad dude, Im so sorry. :cry:
But chin up! It still might be below 89, have hope!

THEAP99

Banned
Did someone from Cdpr brake into your house and kicked your dog or something?
As a half 1st gen & half 2nd gen polish person, I'm embarrassed with how underwhelming the reviews are. I would've expected red dead 2 type of scores. I'm also embarrassed that they're hiding the console version which is where I would be planning to play the game, on ps5.

Last edited:

Woggleman

I am so sick of gamer outrage from both sides. It's ironic that these woke white liberals are trying to tear down a black man's creation. They should be happy that one of the biggest games in recent years spawned from a black man's creation and he was heavily involved in making the game.

Jimx26

Really can’t decide whether to get the Xbox or PS version. Has there been much chatter Asti which version runs the best on the next gen machines?

jaysius

Banned
There is LITERALLY no negative representation of trans people...

Not playing this shit

For every snowflake fuck head that probably is just roleplaying a transperson there are 20 times as many that are legit and just want to live a life.

Don't be a shitty human.

You might be joking, but many people reading who genuinely are shitty humans will agree with you non-ironically.

Last edited:

Loke

Great scores, too bad about the bugs but I'm sure they'll get patched.

My 1060 will cry on Thursday.

Too early to say really. One review specifically mentions that the economy seems a little harsh, which slows down the adoption of key upgrades that make stealth and hacking usable.

It's also possible that the game requires you to do more side quests for cash and leveling up than reviewers had time for on their short deadline.

If you can't upgrade fast enough, then the default would be using guns and normal combat.

Last edited:

Madflavor

this is good to know because this kind of performance from expensive cards is unacceptable.

3gSyXcVd9KENVSjtj3BXuf.png

I got a RTX 2060, and broke my heart to see those numbers, knowing that my card would run the game like doo doo butter. But I feel a lot better seeing that tweet.

Hugare

As a polish person, I'm embarrassed with how underwhelming the reviews are. I would've expected red dead 2 type of scores. I'm also embarrassed that they're hiding the console version which is where I would be planning to play the game, on ps5.
Ok, but you are taking it a little too personal

It has a 91 MC score. That's EXCELLENT.

It's not "greatest of all time" score, but sure doesnt earn all this negativity that you are spraying around the topic

Maybe you havent seen the leaked footage, but I have seen hours of the game running on the PS5, and it runs fine. Even great, since it holds 60 fps almost all the time., while looking awesome.

This is probably one of the, if not the most ambitious game ever made. So chill, dude.

Bugs were expected, they will be corrected with patches. With those out of the way, we will have a terrific experience soon.

Based on a few reviews, definitely not. Some were saying you really don't have that many choices when completing a mission and that violence is necessary. It's strange that there is no detailed talk about this. One of the big reasons I was following the game - basically a bigger and badder Deus Ex. Will have to play and find out!

Last edited:
Top Bottom