• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk RPGs

Guilty_AI

With Cyberpunk 2077 approaching, i've been curious as to how many Cyberpunk VG RPGs there actually are out there. I know they're nowhere near as common as medieval or post-apocalyptic, but they were still a popular setting for table-top RPGs so i can't help but imagine there should be more of them.
The ones i know of (aside from Cyberpunk 2077) are:
Deus Ex series
Shadowrun series
E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy

I also know some that fall short of the Cyberpunk category like The Outer Worlds, Crosscode and System Shock (could be debatable though). Others, including some that i mentioned, can even be argued if they're actual RPGs in the first place (like Deus Ex).

Just to be clear:
I'm considering cyberpunk by its strict definition. A predominantly urban setting that mixes high technological advance with social regression.
I'm considering RPG anything with a character progression system, preferably one that allows for different types of builds.

So, there really aren't that many cyberpunk RPGS out there or i'm just ignorant of them? Or maybe i'm being too strict with my definitions?

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
I just picked up Cosmic Star Heroine on Switch for like $2. I've been looking at it for a long time and dang I think it is a really good 16bit RPG.

Plus the characters and libertarian feel really resonate with me.

Guilty_AI

I just picked up Cosmic Star Heroine on Switch for like $2. I've been looking at it for a long time and dang I think it is a really good 16bit RPG.

Plus the characters and libertarian feel really resonate with me.
Oh yeah, i forgot about this one. Although i don't usually see JRPGs (jrpg-like in this case) to be RPGs in the truest sense of the term, i guess its still something.
I suppose if we were to include JRPGs or games with very linear character progression systems, we could get a bunch of other examples.

Last edited:

Nikodemos

Bloodnet is an interesting RPG which combines fantasy (vampires) with old-school early-90s cyberpunk aesthetics, however its difficulty is extremely high, and it's easy to lock yourself out of important questlines. You need to fervently follow a detailed walkthrough when playing it.

Guilty_AI

Bloodnet is an interesting RPG which combines fantasy (vampires) with old-school early-90s cyberpunk aesthetics, however its difficulty is extremely high, and it's easy to lock yourself out of important questlines. You need to fervently follow a detailed walkthrough when playing it.
Thread needs more Soul Hackers, the quintessential cyberpunk (J)RPG.

I was actually expecting some old school games from the 90s.
Soulhackers does look pretty cool, i can't believe i hadn't found it despite all the cyberpunk + RPG searches i did.

SpiceRacz

Have you actually tried Shadowrun on SNES and Genesis? Two very different games, but fit the bill of what you're looking for. The SNES game is one of the best RPGs on the system imo.

Guilty_AI

Have you actually tried Shadowrun on SNES and Genesis? Two very different games, but fit the bill of what you're looking for. The SNES game is one of the best RPGs on the system imo.
I did know about the shadowrun series and that it was based off a Tabletop RPG. I didn't knew there were games on the series as old as on the SNES and Genesis though.

Belmonte

Shadowrun Dragonfall is one of the best CRPGs from the last decade. Really good story and characters. It has one of my favorite parties in any RPG ever. I had trouble choosing who I would carry along with the missions. Highly recommended.

Well...if you're willing to stretch the definition a bit, wouldn't System Shock 1 and 2 qualify? They're usually see as FPS games but they actually focus A LOT on exploration, puzzle-solving and atmosphere/story. SS2 even has a skill system inspired by RPGs in a few ways.

Aside from that I can't think of too many others. Maybe Live-a-Live for Super Famicom? Seen some people mention SNES and MegaDrive ShadowRun games, but there's also the Mega CD one too (no fan translation AFAIK). Final Fantasy VII would count; doing a quick look there was a PC game named Septerra Core, probably worth checking out (it's on Steam).

Septerra Core on GOG

3227a5b70d1e21875618b06db7ff40d441fc821854559d5219ad169b177523db_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

1-0002.jpeg.

D7427D57BD99D5F1AA91A0780F69974EB4070709

Basically a Western version of Final Fantasy VII for PC came out in the late '90s, made by Valkyrie Studios (long defunct). Read about it on Hardcore Gaming 101, sounded very interesting. If I had time to play it I'd pick it up, honestly.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Shadowrun Dragonfall is one of the best CRPGs from the last decade. Really good story and characters. It has one of my favorite parties in any RPG ever. I had trouble choosing who I would carry along with the missions. Highly recommended.

The shadowrun series is something a plan to get into eventually.

Well...if you're willing to stretch the definition a bit, wouldn't System Shock 1 and 2 qualify? They're usually see as FPS games but they actually focus A LOT on exploration, puzzle-solving and atmosphere/story. SS2 even has a skill system inspired by RPGs in a few ways.

Aside from that I can't think of too many others. Maybe Live-a-Live for Super Famicom? Seen some people mention SNES and MegaDrive ShadowRun games, but there's also the Mega CD one too (no fan translation AFAIK). Final Fantasy VII would count; doing a quick look there was a PC game named Septerra Core, probably worth checking out (it's on Steam).

Septerra Core on GOG

3227a5b70d1e21875618b06db7ff40d441fc821854559d5219ad169b177523db_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

1-0002.jpeg.

Basically a Western version of Final Fantasy VII for PC came out in the late '90s, made by Valkyrie Studios (long defunct). Read about it on Hardcore Gaming 101, sounded very interesting. If I had time to play it I'd pick it up, honestly.
I'd this septera core and FFVII seem more steampunk/dieselpunk than cyberpunk.
But as you said we could get some more by stretching the definitions a bit. I initially didn't consider system shock to be cyberpunk due to the setting not really fitting the definition, seeing as it isn't an urban enviroment and it doesn't deal with societal regression themes (at least i dont think it does as i haven't properly played the game yet). Other you could get like this also include The Outer Worlds, Crosscode, Watchdogs 2, some space games, etc.

Last edited:

Labadal

I feel like Anachronox would partially fit into this category.

Maybe Starcrawlers and Conglomerate 451 would fit in as well. Both blobbers. Another one is Das Geisterschiff.

Other than those, maybe Tecnomancer? Not fully sure on this one.

Dex is a side scrolling Deus Ex, basically. You don't get more cyberpunk than this game.

When it comes to upcoming rpgs:
Gamedec looks really cool, but who knows how this will turn out. Seems like a detective rpg.
Jack Move looks like a Western developed "JRPG".
Cyber Knights: Flashpoint is a Tactical rpg by the Trese brothers. All their previous games have been solid.
Disjunction is a Stealth Acttion rpg with pixel graphics.

Reactions: Fuz

Guilty_AI

I feel like Anachronox would partially fit into this category.

Maybe Starcrawlers and Conglomerate 451 would fit in as well. Both blobbers. Another one is Das Geisterschiff.

Other than those, maybe Tecnomancer? Not fully sure on this one.

Dex is a side scrolling Deus Ex, basically. You don't get more cyberpunk than this game.

When it comes to upcoming rpgs:
Gamedec looks really cool, but who knows how this will turn out. Seems like a detective rpg.
Jack Move looks like a Western developed "JRPG".
Cyber Knights: Flashpoint is a Tactical rpg by the Trese brothers. All their previous games have been solid.
Disjunction is a Stealth Acttion rpg with pixel graphics.
Some of these are really interesting. Gamedec in particular is rather in line with what i had in mind, it was even forgotten in my steam wishlist

Fuz

Banned

Septerra Core on GOG

1-0002.jpeg.

Loved it at the time. It shamelessly tried to ride the coattails of FFVII.

I don't remember anything about the story, if not that was kind of pretentious and excessively convoluted.

Top Bottom