• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls Review Thread

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
I don't know if NISA has fixed this, but having played the Japanese version months ago, I'll say that just as a safety precaution, even if it's an obvious one, I highly suggest maintaining multiple save files. I ran into a really nasty bug in chapter 3 where my save was just irredeemably corrupted, full stop. I had to do a fresh run of the game to get back up to that point. It's fairly fast to get back to that point once you know what you're doing, it took me an hour and a half, but on a first run, it can take several hours to get there, so not great!

I never got around to confirming it, but I know I'm not the only one who ran into trouble in that chapter specifically judging by Japanese search results. For what it was worth, it was the very first save point you can encounter in that chapter that's
after the weird graveyard
. (Not really a spoiler per se, but if you don't wanna even know what locales are in the game, there you go.) I have reason to believe it's probably reproducible at that point, too, so personally, I'd always suggest keeping a clean save from the last chapter you cleared just in case the worst happen.

There were also a handful of other bugs I ran into that required soft resets, such as buggy scripting, but nothing nearly as severe as that.

Again, to reiterate, maybe NISA has fixed that issue. Great if it has! Disregard everything I've said if so, but if it hasn't I just thought it was worth putting out there.

Great game when it works otherwise! I had a marvelous time with it and can't wait to actually discuss plot points about it with people who speak English!

Isotope

Good to hear that the story is dark and that NISA apparently didn't cut/censor anything. Next Tuesday needs to hurry up and get here.

Yasumi

Banned
I don't know if NISA has fixed this, but having played the Japanese version months ago, I'll say that just as a safety precaution, even if it's an obvious one, I highly suggest maintaining multiple save files. I ran into a really nasty bug in chapter 3 where my save was just irredeemably corrupted, full stop. I had to do a fresh run of the game to get back up to that point. It's fairly fast to get back to that point once you know what you're doing, it took me an hour and a half, but on a first run, it can take several hours to get there, so not great!

I never got around to confirming it, but I know I'm not the only one who ran into trouble in that chapter specifically judging by Japanese search results. For what it was worth, it was the very first save point you can encounter in that chapter that's
after the weird graveyard
. (Not really a spoiler per se, but if you don't wanna even know what locales are in the game, there you go.) I have reason to believe it's probably reproducible at that point, too, so personally, I'd always suggest keeping a clean save from the last chapter you cleared just in case the worst happen.

There were also a handful of other bugs I ran into that required soft resets, such as buggy scripting, but nothing nearly as severe as that.

Again, to reiterate, maybe NISA has fixed that issue. Great if it has! Disregard everything I've said if so, but if it hasn't I just thought it was worth putting out there.

Great game when it works otherwise! I had a marvelous time with it and can't wait to actually discuss plot points about it with people who speak English!

IIRC there was a patch a little while after release that was supposed to fix whatever caused the save corruption. Shouldn't be an issue in the English version.

BTA

Now to decide if I want to play it in english or japanese :p

I imagine they talk during combat and such; does anyone know if that's subtitled? I'd like to play it with the Japanese voices since I did for 1 and 2, but that'll be annoying if so.

GoldStarz

I imagine they talk during combat and such; does anyone know if that's subtitled? I'd like to play it with the Japanese voices since I did for 1 and 2, but that'll be annoying if so.
There's a small dialogue box that pops up no matter what language you play on.

why did you deny yourself greatness? I also think you spoiled the twist of the previous games by jumping into AE first. :/

I just never got around to playing them. They were always on my radar, but I just never got around to it.

I figure I learned the twist, but I'm honestly okay with that.

Kalor

I'm interested in this but I don't see myself buying it for a while with other games coming out next month. I've heard some stuff about the story so I'm curious how it turns out.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I really hope the story lives up to the hype as the gameplay in Ultra Despair Girls looks terrible and stars one of my least favorite cast members.

I only found out somewhat recently that this one isn't a visual novel smh. I just hope it's not a difficult/frustrating game as I'm in it for the story.

LiK

English for me. the dub is amazing and of course, don't wanna miss a fellow Gaffer's performance in the game. JPN voice for Monokuma also grates my ears.

Mendrox

I just never got around to playing them. They were always on my radar, but I just never got around to it.

I figure I learned the twist, but I'm honestly okay with that.

Killed yourself the greatness of this generation. Big fuckup.. DR1+2 are awesome without getting spoilered. :-( I feel sad for you.

GoldStarz

I really hope the story lives up to the hype as the gameplay in Ultra Despair Girls looks terrible and stars one of my least favorite cast members.

I only found out somewhat recently that this one isn't a visual novel smh. I just hope it's not a difficult/frustrating game as I'm in it for the story.
Play on Genocider Mode, you can spam Syo the whole game and not have to worry about gameplay too much. As for Toko, she gained a lot of fans with this game, I was kinda lukewarm to her before the game, but now she's one of my favorites.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
IIRC there was a patch a little while after release that was supposed to fix whatever caused the save corruption. Shouldn't be an issue in the English version.

Do you remember how recent that patch was? Because I played the Japanese version in March/April I believe in a patched state and it still happened to me.

Weebos

Banned
Killed yourself the greatness of this generation. Big fuckup.. DR1+2 are awesome without getting spoilered. :-( I feel sad for you.

I got spoiled for the first one and still loved it.

That said, not knowing the spoiler would have blown my goddamn mind.

Thud

September third or fourth if i recall correctly.

I thought we said goodbye to despair.

But my wallet is definitely tasting despair and only one week to finish it before Mario Maker.

Do I wait or do I accept the challenge?

D-Man

I'm so damn excited for this game. I need my Danganronpa fix! Now I just gotta wait for Amazon to ship my order.

D E S P A I R G I R L S

HYPEEE

FEEL THE DESPAIR UPUPUPUPUPUPU

T5s569W.gif

Yasumi

Banned
Do you remember how recent that patch was? Because I played the Japanese version in March/April I believe in a patched state and it still happened to me.

I think it was September/October? Hopefully it was fixed in the English version then.

NA release definitely seems to be different. From what I've heard, it uses the extra unlocked RAM, so you can't use other applications while the NA version of AE is running.

FluxWaveZ

I want to know exactly why people are so adamant that DR2 needs to be played before DR:AE. There were absolutely no explicit spoilers about DR2 in DR:AE; I'm not sure I see why people claim it's so important to play it in order, even though I'd personally recommend it.

There's only one thing that comes to mind at the very, very end that I could see spoiling DR2, but I can also see it as being a really cool set-up for people who haven't played the second game yet.

Good to know that the gameplay doesn't get in the way. This is the first 3rd person shooter for Spike Chunsoft, so I had my reserves about it.
Yep. The last 2 chapters of both DR1 and DR2 are hard to put down until you actually finish those. It's basically bomb after bomb after bomb.

THAT Chapter 5 in Danganronpa 2.
Is this No More Heroes?

At least it will also have a Masafumi Takada soundtrack.

GoldStarz

I want to know exactly why people are so adamant that DR2 needs to be played before DR:AE. There were absolutely no explicit spoilers about DR2 in DR:AE; I'm not sure I see why people claim it's so important to play it in order, even though I'd personally recommend it.
SUPER MAJOR SPOILER FOR BOTH GAMES!
Komaeda showing up and working for Warriors, Izuru showing up in the end, Shhiro and Kurokuma being revealed to be components of the Junko AI, but yeah there's absolutely nothing to do with SDR2

Ryuukan

As for Toko, she gained a lot of fans with this game, I was kinda lukewarm to her before the game, but now she's one of my favorites.

She was always the best character in the series

2 was shit without her

plenty of room in the Toko bandwagon for everyone

Yasumi

Banned

*Major AE ending spoilers don't click on this*
_________/Junko AI/____________
*/Major AE ending spoilers don't click on this*

Prelude.

As for Toko, she gained a lot of fans with this game, I was kinda lukewarm to her before the game, but now she's one of my favorites.
I don't know how anyone can play 1 (with the japanese dub) and not love her.
Motherfucking Miyuki Sawashiro, guys.

FluxWaveZ

SUPER MAJOR SPOILER FOR BOTH GAMES!
Komaeda showing up and working for Warriors, Izuru showing up in the end, Shhiro and Kurokuma being revealed to be components of the Junko AI, but yeah there's absolutely nothing to do with SDR2

1. The first one basically concerns
Nagito's personality
, which is spoiled within the first hours of DR2. The character's origins, explored in DR2, isn't revealed in DR:AE, unless I missed a scrap book log somewhere explaining it.

------Izuru---------
is meaningless until that character appears in DR2. No one who didn't play DR2 would have any idea what that character's deal is.

3. That last one is the one I can see being a spoiler to DR2, if one thinks about it and what it could mean going forward in the plot. That happens at the very end of the game, though, and I do think it's vague enough to not be too big.

*Major AE ending spoilers don't click on this*

Yeah, I guess this is the one that we all agree would spoil DR2. I wouldn't play DR:AE before playing DR2, to be clear; I'd definitely recommend playing the latter before just for context for the former's events.

FluxWaveZ

I don't know how anyone can play 1 (with the japanese dub) and not love her.
Motherfucking Miyuki Sawashiro, guys.

I thought Toko's English voice acting was excellent, but she was one of the most annoying characters in DR1. I was alright with her until her obsession with "Master" entered the picture, but that compounded with Genocide Jack and some of her outbursts weren't great.

I was really impressed by how she actually kept her character quirks in DR:AE, but had actual growth from DR1's events that were apparent in her personality. Definitely like her more now.

Same goes for (SPOILERS)
Yasuhiro Hagakure
, who I pretty much hated 100%. Now it's at 80%, heh.

Top Bottom