• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls Review Thread

Ryuukan

I thought Toko's English voice acting was excellent, but she was one of the most annoying characters in DR1. I was alright with her until her obsession with "Master" entered the picture, but that compounded with Genocide Jack and some of her outbursts weren't great.

EPuDUrx.jpg

how can you not love

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Holy crap, I totally forgot about this game!

Reviews mean nothing to me, but this was a nice reminder that this game is coming soon! For some reason, I thought it was further away. I don't know if I'll buy it day 1, because I have a bunch of other things to take care of (as well as chip away at my backlog), but it's a Vita game, and I hate to not buy a retail Vita release that interests me on day 1...

I'll think about it. This game looks like a lot of fun, and I loved DR1 and 2.

Also, Toko is awesome! She's batshit crazy!

Rektash

So, how playable is this on PSTV (as in how do the controls work out)? Because I am certainly planning on playing it on my PSTV with a DS4!

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Play on Genocider Mode, you can spam Syo the whole game and not have to worry about gameplay too much. As for Toko, she gained a lot of fans with this game, I was kinda lukewarm to her before the game, but now she's one of my favorites.

Thanks. Is Genocider like "easy mode" then? What is normal mode called? I'm decent at 3rd person shooters at least...

As for Toko, I just really hope they somehow
redeem Toko for being a serial killer or free her from the Genocide Jill personality
in this game, like that's one of my big hangups with her character and not being able to like her or root for her.

FluxWaveZ

redeem Toko for being a serial killer or free her from the Genocide Jill personality
in this game, like that's one of my big hangups with her character and not being able to like her or root for her.

It's addressed pretty explicitly at multiple points, but the fact does remain that
Genocide Jack was a serial killer

GoldStarz

Thanks. Is Genocider like "easy mode" then? What is normal mode called? I'm decent at 3rd person shooters at least...

>Genocider Mode, run through everything
>Komaru Mode, normal mode
>Despair Mode, harder but with more rewards

Also (early game spoilers)
Jill has retired from the serial killer business

Firestar

Same. I was the only person with a Vita.

I get that you guys didn't have much options, but it doesn't seem very fair to review these games without having played at least DR1. Pretty much invalidates the review in my opinion.

Getting this day 1, very excited. I think DR2 came out almost exactly a year ago

IamAwake

I posted my video review of the game earlier this morning. My gameplay footage covers scenes of the prologue, bits and pieces from Chapter 1 and one short section showing a Genocide Jack scene from very early chapter 2 for those trying to avoid spoilers.

BitShiftTV Video Review - Buy Recommendation

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask and I can try my best to answer them.

So, how playable is this on PSTV (as in how do the controls work out)? Because I am certainly planning on playing it on my PSTV with a DS4!

I played the majority of the time on my PSTV. I enjoyed using the DS3 sticks much more than using the Vita sticks. It ran well and looked decent on an HDTV. Hope that helps.

Swamped

Banned
Excited about playing this. I'm a little nervous about people saying the story is very dark. I hope they didn't cross lines simply for the sake of it. Well, I guess I'll find out when I play it.

Well i didnt think i would get this one because i didnt think the spinoff would be that great. And admittedly id rather have Danganronpa 3 but it looks like the story is pretty good so I guess ill have to buy it after all :D But ugh, same day as Metal Gear Solid V.....

Scanna

I get that you guys didn't have much options, but it doesn't seem very fair to review these games without having played at least DR1. Pretty much invalidates the review in my opinion.
Well, people who are new to a series can give unique point of views, unbiased and representing a large amount of customers of a game. I, for one, investigated the backstory of the first game and saw some gameplay to get a grip of Trigger Happy Havoc and then started the game, enjoyed it immensely. Now I am very curious to try out the original one.

zakujanai

I'd buy a true sequel day one, no questions asked. I'm going to wait for a price drop on this one since its missing the main element I enjoy in the others, the murder mystery scenario. If it wasn't for people saying the story is good I'd bypass it altogether.

Gvitor

Curious to read impressions on this. I had a lot of problems with the game, mainly regarding how much exposition it has and how much of it was useless and repetitive, unlike previous games (which, being visual novels, had a lot of text but didn't feel as tedious and unnecessary).

The villain is fantastic, though, and there's a scene near the end that was sooo good.

Hugstable

Banned
So how is the shooting gameplay in this? I'm getting this because I love Danganronpa, it's setting and it's characters. Just want to know what I'm in for Gameplay wise since I read that the game has a decent length to it.

Prelude.

Apparently NISA did a pretty shit job at letting reviewers know the japanese dub is gonna be downloadable for free when the game launches. Some reviews are just reporting that it's missing and that's it. Some even put it in the negative points on the score.

Shizuka

So how is the shooting gameplay in this? I'm getting this because I love Danganronpa, it's setting and it's characters. Just want to know what I'm in for Gameplay wise since I read that the game has a decent length to it.

It's very simple, far from convoluted. I enjoyed the TPS in Another Episode, it's very horror-y.

So, is there no big cast of friends in this one? I really liked that aspect in 1+2...

No big cast of friends, this is meant to explore and deepen the friendship between the protagonist and the returning DR1 character.

Apparently NISA did a pretty shit job at letting reviewers know the japanese dub is gonna be downloadable for free when the game launches. Some reviews are just reporting that it's missing and that's it. Some even put it in the negative points on the score.

Indeed, I only found out because of the Danganronpa Community thread.

Scanna

I found it serviceable.

TheKevn

Someone with the ability to make threads should make a thread comparing Daganronpa with Telltale games I'm curious as to what the gaf community thinks is better and why.

Pedersen

Was there when GAF introduced me to first one which I'm really grateful for, since it means I'm totally ready for this one. Pre-ordered 5mins ago!:D
I love the universe and all the despair so hopefully I will like this as well.

BTW, a whole YEAR since DR2?! Feels like yesterday I played it, and now there is suddenly a new one:O

mrmickfran

I just finished two like a week ago. I want more Danganronpa, but this game's gameplay doesn't appeal to me. Maybe I'll just read a synopsis online.

gaiages

Banned

Yeah, they actually didn't do well with that. I only found out about because one of my other buddies reviewing it mentioned it offhand. I hadn't been keeping super close eye on DR:AE news, so I completely missed the original news release about it.

Someone with the ability to make threads should make a thread comparing Daganronpa with Telltale games I'm curious as to what the gaf community thinks is better and why.

I'm confused. You want a thread comparing Japanese VNs and modern Western adventure games?

I don't see how. The game story can still be critiqued on it's own merits and it does a good job talking about what happened in previous games.

What do you mean?

She has a really nice voice but no range, you can tell it's her almost every time.

Genocider Sho/Jack is the best DR1 character out of the survivors but she doesn't compare to the majority of the DR2 cast, they just shame p much all the first cast in every way possible. They were just
too good to really kill.

kurahador

Wait...why is it DLC? Not enough space in the cart?

The ilovevg.it review points out in its cons that there's no Japanese dub option, and no subs whatsoever (not even in English) during the cutscenes.
Didn't NISA say that the jpn dubs would come as a free DLC?

Ryuukan

I have to wait until awful NA PSN updates before I can play my retail copy? rip

Yasumi

Banned
I just finished two like a week ago. I want more Danganronpa, but this game's gameplay doesn't appeal to me. Maybe I'll just read a synopsis online.
If you liked Danganronpa, skipping out on playing this is doing yourself a major disservice. It's 100% a Danganronpa game, and the shooting doesn't get in the way of that.

Prelude.

She has a really nice voice but no range, you can tell it's her almost every time.
Well, of course you can tell, she has a very characteristic voice, it's like not recognizing Hiroshi Kamiya or Yuu Kobayashi. Maybe you only watched anime where she plays pretty much the same role, otherwise I don't agree at all.
Wait...why is it DLC? Not enough space in the cart?
Yep.
I have to wait until awful NA PSN updates before I can play my retail copy? rip
The US store can be updated at any time now.
Damn, I didn't refresh the page before posting.
Still, no subs during the cutscenes? That's going to disappoint many people.
We talked about this is the community thread, I assume they're going to be hardsubbed and included in the DLC. If they were softsubs there'd be no reason to not include them in the cart and if there are no subs at all, well, that'd be a pretty huge oversight from NISA.

Top Bottom