• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I decided I want to try the Company of Champions in Scholar (only did a full playthrough of that in vanilla).

So far not too bad, died a few times already 'cause I often forget this is hard mode xD. I made my new character after Thorn Bathu from the Shattered Sea trilogy, who looks kinda like this:
11351664_1642114686031030_1419007744_n.jpg

2c94beed408955394da80a2c849d668b.jpg

Gonna dual wield a hand axe and a shortsword eventually, then maybe use a twinblade or other weapons (for the really harder bosses) 'cause it fits her style well.

My Vanquisher's Seal run is complete. That was immensely satisfying.

Only melee kill with a weapon was against Maldron in Elum Loyce because fuck that guy.
Fuck his 0% equip load sprint speed.
Fuck his infinite stamina when sprinting.
Fuck his infinite Estus that takes effect as soon as the drinking animation starts and heals him for 2k+ HP.
Fuck his animation cancelling.
Fuck his dodge rolls.
Fuck his 5k HP.

In short, fuck him. So I fucked him with a +10 Smelter Hammer. Fucker got pancaked.

Only melee kill with a weapon was against Maldron in Elum Loyce because fuck that guy.
Fuck his infinite Estus that takes effect as soon as the drinking animation starts and heals him for 2k+ HP.
Fuck his dodge rolls.
Fuck his 5k HP.

In short, fuck him. So I fucked him with a +10 Smelter Hammer. Fucker got pancaked.

:lol

I hate that guy. I spent an afternoon trying to kill him, and when I did I got killed by the Covetous Demon as he was keeling over. I can't remember if I got whatever he drops due to dying at the same time, but knowing my luck I probably didn't.

:lol

I hate that guy. I spent an afternoon trying to kill him, and when I did I got killed by the Covetous Demon as he was keeling over. I can't remember if I got whatever he drops due to dying at the same time, but knowing my luck I probably didn't.

He drops the armor pieces he's wearing (which can easily gotten elsewhere) or a human effigy.

In other words:

68.gif

The ultimate insult to injury.

Zyrox

Bought DS2 SOTFS in a recent sale because I only played the main game before and not the dlc, and I'm now done with pretty much everything. DLC was great, as expected. Shulva, Sanctum City is probably my fav area in all of DS2. Really liked Eleum Loyce too (and that's my fav name for any Souls area, sounds so mystical).
Didn't hate Brume Tower, but man was that area confusing sometimes. Constantly kept forgetting where I already was and where not.

Bosses wise probably liked Sinh and Alonne the most. Alonne is just another "dude in armor" I guess but I found the fight cool nonetheless.

I would have liked more npcs in these areas. I guess Souls DLC is never really big on NPCs but those help flesh out the world a little.

Overall though I really enjoyed another playthrough of DS2 after I haven't played it in so long. The redone enemy placements in SOTFS really messed with my expectations sometimes and kept things fresh.
And 60fps definitely felt nice. Going back to DS3 will probably feel a little jarring.

Before I go to the next NG+, I'd like to do some jolly co-op for sunlight medals, any boss that's popular with max soul memory tier players for that? Apparently those also drop from Falconers, but the droprate is abysmal, haven't gotten a single one.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Fuck his dodge rolls.
Fuck his 5k HP.

Hahaha, yeah, fuck that guy. I'm convinced From just decided to imitate not only an obnoxious troll invader, but a cheat-engine user as well or something. Like in Brume Tower when he's actually an invader (with notification and all) he uses Estus, but invaders can't use Estus in this game!

Bought DS2 SOTFS in a recent sale because I only played the main game before and not the dlc, and I'm now done with pretty much everything. DLC was great, as expected. Shulva, Sanctum City is probably my fav area in all of DS2. Really liked Eleum Loyce too (and that's my fav name for any Souls area, sounds so mystical).
Didn't hate Brume Tower, but man was that area confusing sometimes. Constantly kept forgetting where I already was and where not.

Bosses wise probably liked Sinh and Alonne the most. Alonne is just another "dude in armor" I guess but I found the fight cool nonetheless.

I would have liked more npcs in these areas. I guess Souls DLC is never really big on NPCs but those help flesh out the world a little.

Overall though I really enjoyed another playthrough of DS2 after I haven't played it in so long. The redone enemy placements in SOTFS really messed with my expectations sometimes and kept things fresh.
And 60fps definitely felt nice. Going back to DS3 will probably feel a little jarring.

Eleum Loyce was cool, but the optional area of that soured me on the whole thing. Also, the main boss was disappointing due to how easy he was compared to the group of knights fight before him.

I didn't like the start area of Shulva, where you fight clusters of the same enemy in a row, but once you get inside it gets really cool. Elana was a super cool boss (possibly one of my favourites in the series), and the trio were really fun too. After beating the game I read about people finding the trio annoying/difficult, but I found them pretty easy. There was one death which I thought was cheap, but I got them on my 3rd or 4th go.

I feel like I'm one of the few people who couldn't stand Sinh. He wasn't difficult per se, just annoying. Take Kalameet for example; he flies around a bit, but when he lands he stays there. Sinh just does loops in the air, lands, and then the floor must burn his toes or something because he goes straight back up into the air after like 5 seconds.

SotFS was my first experience with the game, and I'd probably say it was my favourite in the series. The 60fps definitely helped my enjoyment of it, and going to DS3 (I finished SotFS the day before 3 launched) was certainly rough. After a while I stopped noticing it, but it did feel worse to play, although better than Demon's and Dark Souls obviously.

Before I go to the next NG+, I'd like to do some jolly co-op for sunlight medals, any boss that's popular with max soul memory tier players for that? Apparently those also drop from Falconers, but the droprate is abysmal, haven't gotten a single one.

I didn't get to max soul memory, but Iron Keep/Smelter Demon was like the one boss that was always active for me when I was going for sunlight medals. Also because doing a Looking Glass Knight run was like a 50/50 thing of the player figuring out that they have to kill the claw guys near that statue to carry on with the level.

Ferr986

Drangleic Castle, first bonfire is your best bet, lots of bosses there.

Also Fume Knight seemed to be the most non Drangleic Castle active boss.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That is a top idea for a character. Her extended fight with Gorn is really well done.
Thanks. Here she is btw. I couldn't remember the exact description, only "pale and hard", half-shaved head with pale hair (went with blonde/red tinge since it's kind of like a viking culture), and of course the axe and sword dual wielding.

And here's my fist-fighter who's cooping with my friend:

Never made a black character before, she turned out great I think.

I didn't get to max soul memory, but Iron Keep/Smelter Demon was like the one boss that was always active for me when I was going for sunlight medals. Also because doing a Looking Glass Knight run was like a 50/50 thing of the player figuring out that they have to kill the claw guys near that statue to carry on with the level.

Drangleic Castle, first bonfire is your best bet, lots of bosses there.

Also Fume Knight seemed to be the most non Drangleic Castle active boss.

After leaving my sign for 12+hrs in front of Smelter Demon, Guardian Dragon, Demon of Song, Old Iron King and Throne of Want fog gates, I have earned a whopping 2 sunlight medals (one from Old Iron King, one from Throne Duo).
At this rate, it should take me just under two weeks to collect all 30.

Yaaaay.

Currently waiting next to the Fume Knight bonfire.

Tarkus

After leaving my sign for 12+hrs in front of Smelter Demon, Guardian Dragon, Demon of Song, Old Iron King and Throne of Want fog gates, I have earned a whopping 2 sunlight medals (one from Old Iron King, one from Throne Duo).

Yaaaay.

Invade someone early in the game and message them afterward saying you will coop the game with them. I did that with 3 different people. That's how I got my medals.

Novocaine

Yaaaay.

Yeah, that's what halted my XBO run. Seems like the people I talked to in America were getting summons okay but none of them must have had region set to all because I was getting nothing. I really wish From would patch it so getting the co-op/pvp stuff needed for trophies can be done just a little bit easier.

So I was helping out someone in Iron Keep when they got invaded by a Blue Sentinel.

I managed to kill the Sentinel guy buy activating one of the falling platforms and dropping him into lava.
10 secs later I get an invite to join a Steam group "For stupid sheep."

Not sure if I should accept.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I was helping out someone in Iron Keep when they got invaded by a Blue Sentinel.

I managed to kill the Sentinel guy buy activating one of the falling platforms and dropping him into lava.
10 secs later I get an invite to join a Steam group "For stupid sheep."

Not sure if I should accept.
Weird.

I got hatemail from a Belfry invader the other day. One was gloatmail after he killed me twice, then a bit later, he attacked me while I was afk (my fault but w/e, it was kinda slow so I took a risk) so I retreated to heal, then killed him, and he whined about healing. Like dude I'm farming chunks by invading/fighting bellbros and sis, I'll bow back to those who gesture but if you rush me and send gloatmail I don't care about your stupid honour xD

Tarkus

The ng+ placements and invaders/phantoms are the best in the series. Scholar is so good. I wish I had chargeable R2s and weapon arts though.

Ferr986

Weird.

I got hatemail from a Belfry invader the other day. One was gloatmail after he killed me twice, then a bit later, he attacked me while I was afk (my fault but w/e, it was kinda slow so I took a risk) so I retreated to heal, then killed him, and he whined about healing. Like dude I'm farming chunks by invading/fighting bellbros and sis, I'll bow back to those who gesture but if you rush me and send gloatmail I don't care about your stupid honour xD

Atleast it wasn't as much as an ass as the last invader I had while I was semi afk. Dude invaded me and I didn't notice (was on my pc) and when I noticed It was too late. After killing me, dude sent me "hate" messages about being shit and stuff and I was like what? you killed me because I was afk not because you were better (in fact I almost killed him but it was in Drangleic Castle bonfire and I got trapped in that small room with no chances of healing).

For referemce he had a moe anime avatar lol

The ng+ placements and invaders/phantoms are the best in the series. Scholar is so good. I wish I had chargeable R2s and weapon arts though.

I have always been mixed about NG+ in Souls 2. I like that there's new changes on NG+, but sometimes it feels like they added red phantoms because fuck you, especially with the bosses but also in some areas. Still, it's better than nothing.

Weird.

I ain't even mad. Receiving that popup as me and the host were exchanging gestures was hilarious, spent a full minute giggling.

Mixed feelings on red phantom enemies. "Here's and old enemy with some spraypaint and more HP!" doesn't feel very inspired. They also never drop anything more interesting than normal enemies.
I do appreciate the effort made to change things, as much as I love DS1, going through NG+ feels like routine for me at this point.

In other news, managed to collect 20 Sunlight Medals mostly through coop. While collecting 30 won't take as long as I feared, I'm a bit annoyed I get summoned the most in the Frigid Outskirts where there's a 50/50 chance of even reaching the boss.

Atleast Psycho Electro Bambi drops Petrified Dragon Bones.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Online is dead on PS4, it seems. I warp to the orange outlined places, dropped my sign in front of popular bosses like Smelter or the Old Iron King, but never get summoned, and almost no bell invasions either. When I got the game I'd get Belfry invasions non-stop and could rack up so many titanite chunks. :( Sad!

Tarkus

Online is dead on PS4, it seems. I warp to the orange outlined places, dropped my sign in front of popular bosses like Smelter or the Old Iron King, but never get summoned, and almost no bell invasions either. When I got the game I'd get Belfry invasions non-stop and could rack up so many titanite chunks. :( Sad!
Dead and buried. I waited for 30 minutes to be summoned on IK bridge earlier. Same person over and over. Hardly any invasions going through either. Yes, sad.

cyber_ninja

Finally started this game and having a blast. My only complaint so far is that healing process is a little slow. Killed the first boss last night and now i cannot wait to get home to play some more.

I have discovered the secret on how to be summoned even at really high SM. Just have a loadout that people see when they touch your sign and think: "I wanted to do this solo, but holy shit, I have to see this in action."

So here I am, wearing Havel's armor and powerstancing Orma and Reeve.

It's goddamn amazing. These things stagger bosses like crazy, helped someone with the Burnt Ivory King and managed to stagger him three times, never before saw him get staggered more than once in a fight.

Ascheroth

Probably worth asking here as well:

I can't get the game running without it instantly crashing. I've tried running it as administrator, compatibilty mode, with GPU scaling, with deactivated Steam overlay etc.
I've only got it to start a few times, but as soon as I exit I can't get it to start again with the same settings and have to try until I randomly find another working combinition of settings.

Windows 10 with Anniversary update, AMD R9 290, drivers up to date.
Any ideas?

Edit: Refunded. Not worth the hassle.

Anyone with 30m+ SM on PC? I'd like to run the gank squad a few tims for Twinkling Titanite/PDB. Don't feel like doing it NPC summons, they're idiots.

Are graphic mods allowed with Dark Souls 2: SotFS? Or will they get you banned on steam?

It's possible to get softbanned.

I say possible because that process is manual, it's also possible that since DS3 is out the team responsible for that has been moved to DS3 and now noone is monitoring DS2, so do whatever.

Bulzeeb

so I am about to purchase DS 2 and its DLC (Steam sale) and I'd like to know if there is some un official required mod like the DSfix for the first game or if this game is good enough to just install and play.

so I am about to purchase DS 2 and its DLC (Steam sale) and I'd like to know if there is some un official required mod like the DSfix for the first game or if this game is good enough to just install and play.

No, this one is a proper port, no mods necessary.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Scholar Champion run now 100% complete. Phew!

That was honestly brutal. Harder than any other Souls game. Died repeatedly in the Shrine of Amana which never gave me that much trouble before. And the Ivory King, ooohhh boy. What a clusterfuck. I do not like this boss because of the slog of fighting the charred knights beforehand, takes too long and it's tedious and annoying. :(

Got the tigers on my second try, and Sir Alonne and Fume Knight on my first try, so there is that. Tower shields kind of trivialize Sir Alonne and I feel bad :( I'll no-shield him with my other character, the fist fighter, to compensate. :)

Scholar Champion run now 100% complete. Phew!

That was honestly brutal. Harder than any other Souls game. Died repeatedly in the Shrine of Amana which never gave me that much trouble before. And the Ivory King, ooohhh boy. What a clusterfuck. I do not like this boss because of the slog of fighting the charred knights beforehand, takes too long and it's tedious and annoying. :(

Got the tigers on my second try, and Sir Alonne and Fume Knight on my first try, so there is that. Tower shields kind of trivialize Sir Alonne and I feel bad :( I'll no-shield him with my other character, the fist fighter, to compensate. :)

Congrats!

I too hated the slog before the Ivory King, but then I discovered the wonder that is stun -> riposte I posted above, it works wonders on charred knights. While it doesn't trivialize the encounter and timing it wrong can seriously mess you up, it makes the whole thing much, much more bearable.

No-shielding Alonne and Fume was very fun for me, timing rolls and attacks almost felt like a rhythm game.

Ferr986

Congrats!

I too hated the slog before the Ivory King, but then I discovered the wonder that is stun -> riposte I posted above, it works wonders on charred knights. While it doesn't trivialize the encounter and timing it wrong can seriously mess you up, it makes the whole thing much, much more bearable.

No-shielding Alonne and Fume was very fun for me, timing rolls and attacks almost felt like a rhythm game.

Yep, Alonne especially is fun as a no shield because motherfucker loves to delay or speed up his thrust attacks.

Skab

I couldn't get it to start no matter what I tried. Always crashed instantly.
I can't remember the last game I had so much trouble with. Heck, I 100%ed Deadly Premonition.
Have since refunded it.

Really? That's unfortunate. Always crazy to me to hear about stuff like this when I had zero issues.

Sorry man :\

-Horizon-

Hmm, anybody got any good recommendations for weapons, armor, rings, spells for sorcery/hex/pyro?

I've never used them before and I have a couple of soul vessels to mess around with.

I'm near the end of the base game and have finished 2 of the DLC already. Soul level around 150.

gogosox82

Hmm, anybody got any good recommendations for weapons, armor, rings, spells for sorcery/hex/pyro?

I've never used them before and I have a couple of soul vessels to mess around with.

I'm near the end of the base game and have finished 2 of the DLC already. Soul level around 150.

Make a hex build they are super strong. All you really need is dark orb but you can use dark weapon, resonant soul, great resonant soul, and Affinity. You can use basically any weapon you like and just infuse it as your damage will scale off of your dark bonus which will be pretty high with 30 int and 30 faith. I'm a fan of the Crypt Blacksword but you have to burn an ascetic and kill the Rotten to get it.

Armor wise, I'm mostly a fashion souls kind of guy so just wear what you think looks good.

Rings should probably be Third Dragon Ring, Clear Bluestone ring +2, Southern Ritual Band +2, and the Abyss Seal.

Edit: Forgot about staves/chimes. Use the Sunset Staff. Its the staff Felkin gives you if you have 20 int/20faith. Probably the best hexer staff in the game. For chimes, you want cathia's chime. Remember to infuse these with dark.

-Horizon-

Make a hex build they are super strong. All you really need is dark orb but you can use dark weapon, resonant soul, great resonant soul, and Affinity. You can use basically any weapon you like and just infuse it as your damage will scale off of your dark bonus which will be pretty high with 30 int and 30 faith. I'm a fan of the Crypt Blacksword but you have to burn an ascetic and kill the Rotten to get it.

Armor wise, I'm mostly a fashion souls kind of guy so just wear what you think looks good.

Rings should probably be Third Dragon Ring, Clear Bluestone ring +2, Southern Ritual Band +2, and the Abyss Seal.

Edit: Forgot about staves/chimes. Use the Sunset Staff. Its the staff Felkin gives you if you have 20 int/20faith. Probably the best hexer staff in the game. For chimes, you want cathia's chime. Remember to infuse these with dark.

Gonna try this out, thanks.
I think I have most of those rings already.
I'm gonna go get the staff.

Finally bought SofFS for PC.

I expected to come back to Dark Souls 2 with a greater appreciation for it, but only ended up remembering why I liked Dark Souls 2 marginally less than the others.

I hate the estus system so bad. Why does it take 95 agility to be able to drink without getting ganked by a boss? Why does it heal so goddamn slow. Considering how long it takes to drink, how much less you can carry of it than life shards, it should heal much faster, if not instantly. Estus does not feel like a valuable resource because it's only a faster life gem.

The hitboxes are so fucking bad. All my attacks always feel like they fall short. A thrusting attack from a longsword always feels like it's an inch too short while the enemy seeming hits me with the hilt of their sword while they are still drawing their weapon. Shields are up even when they're not. The animations in Dark Souls 2 are garbage. Enemies hit you even when they clearly just started their animation. Some enemies can even knock you out of a lunging attack because the attack hits instantaneously even when their animation hasn't started.

Soul memory is awful. I'm trying to do a co-op character with friends and I can't even farm Heide Knight armor or crafting materials or money without worrying about going out of their soul range. So when our schedules don't line up, it's not like I can do anything with my character without risking leaving them out of my soul memory range. A shitty ring that absorbs souls is not a good fix.

I'm still enjoying it, but there are things about the basic game mechanics in this one that I can readily point to as bad and frustrating as opposed to other souls games.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I hate the estus system so bad. Why does it take 95 agility to be able to drink without getting ganked by a boss? Why does it heal so goddamn slow.
Time your healing better.

Soul memory is awful. I'm trying to do a co-op character with friends and I can't even farm Heide Knight armor or crafting materials or money without worrying about going out of their soul range. So when our schedules don't line up, it's not like I can do anything with my character without risking leaving them out of my soul memory range. A shitty ring that absorbs souls is not a good fix.
The agape ring isn't a perfect fix but it should serve. As should the name-engraved ring which greatly increases the soul memory range. I've done full coop runs with different friends and we did our own solo adventures/farming/etc. on the side and it was never an issue.

As for the hitboxes, it's been discussed before, and it's true they are generally weaker than in the other games, though raising agility to 99 makes it not too bad. I don't recall the enemies hitting you at the start of their animation to be a common problem though? I think it might have happened once or twice but it's greatly exaggerated IMO.

Sometimes the hitboxes are surprisingly good. The giant knights in Heide, for instance, will whiff their horizontal sweep if you are "ducked" (from casting something, for example) because they are so tall. I found that neat. The worst hitboxes are grab attacks which have a vacuum bullshit property to them, they're really frustrating (but also present in other Souls games, though none of them is quite as bad as the mimic's which can grab you from behind LOL).

Top Bottom