• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Defeated O&S on my second try with my INT build yesterday. Homing Soulmass + Heavy Great Soul Arrow feels kinda cheap, but hey, I'll take it. Now to head to Duke's!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Man, the Capra Demon is such a dick. Not only does he have an unblockable two-handed attack (took me 3 deaths to figure that out), but those dogs at his side are so damn annoying. On one of my tries the demon and the two dogs boxed me into a corner as I was trying to run up the stairs and I literally could not move in any direction. That death was pretty frustrating.

On my fourth or fifth attempt I managed to finally kill him. I think there was some sort of virtual karma going on though because one of the dogs glitched out at the beginning of the fight and wouldn't move, so I was able to kill the other dog and do some damage to the demon. Then the second dog triggered out of nowhere so I killed him and then continued to kite the demon up and around the stairs.

And after all that he only drops a measly 6,000 souls. What a dick.

JustinBB7

Man, the Capra Demon is such a dick. Not only does he have an unblockable two-handed attack (took me 3 deaths to figure that out),

? I blocked it just fine. Maybe it depends on the gear. I beat him my first try every playthrough. I helped out a bunch of people last time as well because I know how many people have trouble with him. Which is weird to me because I always beat him easily. I had a lot of trouble with the top 3 hard bosses
S&O, Artorias, Lord Of Abyss
though and that took me days.

What level are you and what gear do you have?

Also later in the game
Capra Demon is a normal enemy and there are like 10 of them in a row, enjoy! (though by that time you should be leveled up enough to kill them! + no dogs)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
? I blocked it just fine. Maybe it depends on the gear. I beat him my first try every playthrough. I helped out a bunch of people last time as well because I know how many people have trouble with him. Which is weird to me because I always beat him easily. I had a lot of trouble with the top 3 hard bosses
S&O, Artorias, Lord Of Abyss
though and that took me days.

What level are you and what gear do you have?

Also later in the game
Capra Demon is a normal enemy and there are like 10 of them in a row, enjoy! (though by that time you should be leveled up enough to kill them! + no dogs)

Seriously? That blows lol. That guy is such a douche, I hate him.

Actually the first three times I died I hardly had a chance to do anything since I got gangbanged by him and his dogs. It took me two "real" tries to kill him, but I think getting familiar with his attack patterns was a big part of it.

I'm level 25 or 26 I think? I have a Claymore+5 which I love (I was running Longsword+5 until I picked up The Claymore this morning). The damage it puts out is pretty insane, I think it helped a lot against Capra. I also used a few pieces of the thief armor that I found in Lower Undead Burg. It has pretty good resistance to bleed/poison which is nice.

JustinBB7

Seriously? That blows lol. That guy is such a douche, I hate him.

Actually the first three times I died I hardly had a chance to do anything since I got gangbanged by him and his dogs. It took me two "real" tries to kill him, but I think getting familiar with his attack patterns was a big part of it.

I'm level 25 or 26 I think? I have a Claymore+5 which I love (I was running Longsword+5 until I picked up The Claymore this morning). The damage it puts out is pretty insane, I think it helped a lot against Capra. I also used a few pieces of the thief armor that I found in Lower Undead Burg. It has pretty good resistance to bleed/poison which is nice.

Hm think I was around level 28/29/30 when I faced him. Plus I have full stone armor to tank with. Longsword and Claymore are both pretty good. I used a longsword my entire first playthrough pretty much.

I think the thing people get stuck on is the dogs with Capra, but they're just the same dogs you meet before him, and they both just take 1 hit to die. Though I read some people getting blocked in by them at the start as well. I just run past them every time.

You're doing well by upgrading your weapons though. Will help out a lot, specially that early.

Capra is pretty simple once the dogs are dealt with. Fire resin is useful if you can't one shot them as soon as you hit the stairs. After that, Capra has an incredibly basic playstyle. Only thing to watch out for is the double overhead attack which isn't possible to block that early in the game.

Just did S&O with my new dex/int character. The ease of the fight pretty much boils down to how big of an asshole Ornstein wants to be in the first phase of the fight, attacking from blind spots with his dash attack, doing right angle turns and shit. After I got over the intimidation factor,
Super Ornstein is pretty easy. The lightning stab can be avoided by rolling between his legs. His 3 hit combo is practically an invitation to go nuts on him for 10s lol

Off to New Londo, I really want the Very Large Ember. I noticed in Anor Londo against the Silver Knights my +10 Uchigatana was only doing 72 damage with 32 dex from the 1h R1. Does that seem right?

Capra is pretty simple once the dogs are dealt with. Fire resin is useful if you can't one shot them as soon as you hit the stairs. After that, Capra has an incredibly basic playstyle. Only thing to watch out for is the double overhead attack which isn't possible to block that early in the game.

Just did S&O with my new dex/int character. The ease of the fight pretty much boils down to how big of an asshole Ornstein wants to be in the first phase of the fight, attacking from blind spots with his dash attack, doing right angle turns and shit. After I got over the intimidation factor,
Super Ornstein is pretty easy. The lightning stab can be avoided by rolling between his legs. His 3 hit combo is practically an invitation to go nuts on him for 10s lol

Off to New Londo, I really want the Very Large Ember. I noticed in Anor Londo against the Silver Knights my +10 Uchigatana was only doing 72 damage with 32 dex from the 1h R1. Does that seem right?

I ended up using the Silver Knight Straight sword recently On my 2nd game (Dex/faith character) just for Anor Londo because my +10 Uchi / Great Scythe wasn't cutting it. Same sorta stats as you. Did the job until I could get higher than +10.

Once his dogs are taken out you can easily poise tank Capra to your heart's content. It's one of those battles that always decided in the first few seconds for me. If I can roll past his dogs on the first try I'm golden from there on out.

Chitown B

finally got around and opened the gate near the church in Undead Parish...... then died when 4 guys were running at me. That huge juggernaut in there is no joke, but I grabbed the Firekeeper soul before I died.

I noticed in Anor Londo against the Silver Knights my +10 Uchigatana was only doing 72 damage with 32 dex from the 1h R1. Does that seem right?

Looking at the Silver Knight Armor set on the wiki and it has higher Slash defense than Normal, Strike, or Thrust, so maybe that's it. If you think about it, it kinda makes sense, since the set is plate armor and not chain mail.

Edit- the wiki says Silver Knights are weak against
Occult Weapons.

1. how do you become permagravelorded?

2. how in the world can you play at level 1 with unupgraded weapons?? :O

how long did it take you to beat quelaag?

1. I'm using Cheat Engine and a script, tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG1ELx2jTis&feature=youtu.be

2. I've already been through the game, so the foreknowledge really helps, but practice and persistence I guess? I did research the ideal weapon for SL1, which is the Jagged Ghost Blade as far as I can tell, but I did get through Quelaag with the Reinforced Club, and that fight took maybe 4 minutes on its own. The JGB is so much better it isn't even funny.

Anyway, I tried going to the forest, but the Hydra is tedious to fight and the normal entrance is now guarded by a force I can't hope to contend with:
4 Black Phantom Giant Stone Knights. In addition to those that are already present. They spawn awake, and if you retreat past the place where the fog wall was they'll block the passage completely with their bodies. Holy shit what the hell.

Divius

sJQnZaf.gif

I ended up using the Silver Knight Straight sword recently On my 2nd game (Dex/faith character) just for Anor Londo because my +10 Uchi / Great Scythe wasn't cutting it. Same sorta stats as you. Did the job until I could get higher than +10.

Looking at the Silver Knight Armor set on the wiki and it has higher Slash defense than Normal, Strike, or Thrust, so maybe that's it. If you think about it, it kinda makes sense, since the set is plate armor and not chain mail.

Occult Weapons.

Ah, if they're resistant to slash I guess that makes sense. Made it down to New Londo and scored the Very Large Ember. My Uchi is +14 now, not sure if I want to use my slab on it or the Great Scythe.

I noticed something weird earlier. I was dropping summon signs at the Anor Londo bonfire for some S&O coop. A couple of times I got summoned by a dude with a battalion of 20+ Silver Knight running around with some red phantom looking ones too. What the hell was that?

Occult Weapons.
I actually just made my first real faith build. Don't really think that needs a spoiler, but my
occult
rapier only does about 80 more riposte damage than my
divine
rapier. Not really worth it imo.

Sullichin

As a farewell before the sequel I'm doing a permagravelorded run at SL1, naked with unupgraded equipment. Having a hell of a time. I know I'm tooting my own horn here a bit, but I just beat Quelaag and man am I pumped. Used all my mosses on the runs across the swamp, restocked, ran out again, and decided to try the fight while poisoned. Victory achieved. Being poisoned while Power Within is active will really make you sweat.

Onward to Sens! Or maybe to the forest; not sure, I've never been gravelorded before and I want to see what new dangers every area holds. Wish me luck!

Nice! In Sens, you'll have to go off the beaten path a little to see most of the BP enemies, IIRC.

I don't go human because I'm afraid someone might kill me and steal my stuff :(

They can't really steal anything from you. Only way that can happen is if you drop an item and they take it. Or they can suck your humanity with a dark hand

Chitown B

I don't go human because I'm afraid someone might kill me and steal my stuff :(

they can't steal it. you just die and lose your souls.

But the couple times someone has invaded they've been nice. And even messaged me to let me know some tips - like, don't be human in the forest, because that's PVP area.

Chitown B

I've had moments recently that I can't sit at a bonfire - the option doesn't come up. Also have have times that Estus Flask is greyed out. I don't know what's going on there.

In addition, seems like you can't quit a game if there is an invader. Which pretty much screws you if you have to leave for some reason.

Sullichin

I've had moments recently that I can't sit at a bonfire - the option doesn't come up. Also have have times that Estus Flask is greyed out. I don't know what's going on there.

In addition, seems like you can't quit a game if there is an invader. Which pretty much screws you if you have to leave for some reason.

You can't rest at a bonfire if you have a phantom in your game / are about to be invaded or are waiting for a summon.

If someone uses a Llyod's tailsman against you, you can't use Estus for like 30 seconds.

Randam

1. I'm using Cheat Engine and a script, tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG1ELx2jTis&feature=youtu.be

2. I've already been through the game, so the foreknowledge really helps, but practice and persistence I guess? I did research the ideal weapon for SL1, which is the Jagged Ghost Blade as far as I can tell, but I did get through Quelaag with the Reinforced Club, and that fight took maybe 4 minutes on its own. The JGB is so much better it isn't even funny.

Anyway, I tried going to the forest, but the Hydra is tedious to fight and the normal entrance is now guarded by a force I can't hope to contend with:
4 Black Phantom Giant Stone Knights. In addition to those that are already present. They spawn awake, and if you retreat past the place where the fog wall was they'll block the passage completely with their bodies. Holy shit what the hell.

yeah, but you do almost no damage with unupgraded weapons, aren't you?

btw.: fails compilation against capra from my epic name bro challenge(no leveling, only starting equipment) run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d0lg5jsjs8

Switching from using the DS3 on PS3 for years to using a 360 controller on PC...it's weird. I don't have any specific complaints, let me make that clear, but I'm just having a hard time getting used to it. Parrying has been especially awkward-feeling. Something about the lightness of the shoulder buttons. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time.

Randam

Switching from using the DS3 on PS3 for years to using a 360 controller on PC...it's weird. I don't have any specific complaints, let me make that clear, but I'm just having a hard time getting used to it. Parrying has been especially awkward-feeling. Something about the lightness of the shoulder buttons. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time.

why dont you use your DS3?
that is what i am doing.

Divius

Ugh these skeletons are really messing up my fight with Nito on my level 1 run. They are cramping my style.

Time to get a Divine weapon and get rid of them for good.

So to get the dodge summersault ring from that ninja dude.

Do I have to join the ranger w/e covenant first? Or can I just run up to him and kick him off the cliff w/o being a part of it and take the ring?

DaciaJC

Gold Member
So to get the dodge summersault ring from that ninja dude.

Do I have to join the ranger w/e covenant first? Or can I just run up to him and kick him off the cliff w/o being a part of it and take the ring?

I don't think he shows up until you join the covenant.

EDIT: Beaten.

Skeen, thanks for the replies.

I knew I shouldn't have joined the priest covenant just for the hell of it, I hope he doesn't hate me too much when I leave.

Skeen, thanks for the replies.

I knew I shouldn't have joined the priest covenant just for the hell of it, I hope he doesn't hate me too much when I leave.
I don't recall that one having a penalty just for leaving. You can still buy miracles or rejoin later. Most times, leaving just strips you of the benefits or reduces rank.

Tex117

Banned
After all the patches, does anyone have what the best armor combination is for a medium armor INT build?

Im still running elite set, gold hemmed skirt, gold hemmed hood, wanderer machete, and Im getting destroyed on New Game Plus.

any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Soulhouf

Ugh these skeletons are really messing up my fight with Nito on my level 1 run. They are cramping my style.

Downgrade that Occult Club and you're good to go.
Also, stone armor is very effective here even with a SL1 character.

My, my...

Je m'attendais pas à te voir ici (if you're the one I'm thinking about).

I don't mean to be rude but are we acquainted?
=> DM so can continue to discuss without being off topic.

Danny 117

I'm having trouble dealing with Sif, any tips?

If any 360 gaffers are in the 26- 56 level range, please put down your summon sign at the fog door, lol.

Mindlog

Flying through NG+ atm. Crushed the DLC Boss that handed it to me last time. Analyzing what I did wrong the previous playthrough it's that I was too far away from him. Much easier to dodge and stick a Soul Spear in him when close. That boss really hates Crystal Soul Spears.

I've had my INT at 50 forever. Also bumped up random STR/DEX to one-hand some weapons. I now have enough END to mid-roll high poise armor and fast-roll decent resist armor. I have an Enchanted Uchi and Rapier, but mostly using Moonlight Greatsword. When I want to use CMW I also have Obsidian Greatsword. Wondering what's needed most in NG++. I keep getting souls, but I don't really need anything else. Five attunement slots seems like plenty. Any suggestions for surviving NG++? Right now leaning towards more STR/DEX to one hand a Zweihander.

Here's how to use the Dualshock 3 on a PC: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=59385385

shit, nm

Anyway, made a lot of progress today.

Don't know what skill I need to use soul arrows. Have it equipped, catalyst as well, but it stays grayed out.

You don't have enough INT. You need 10 for Soul Arrow.

You can use pyromancies without having to level up INT, but Sorceries need an investment in that stat.

Chitown B

got my knight's shield and finally got to the first blacksmith :) Upgraded a bunch of shit and got all the repair boxes. Feel much better about everything now. My claymore feels badass - i think it's +3 or +4

2AdEPT

I allowed downgrading the occult club to divine on my no upgrades run...going backward aint the same as upgrading!!!! ;) lol it ends up being the best weapon (for me) other than giant hammer imo for no upgrades...two quick r1's beat the reinforced club buffed with fire R2 for O &S...that's just IMO the damage is better but the r1's seem easier/less stamina as well.
After all the patches, does anyone have what the best armor combination is for a medium armor INT build?

Im still running elite set, gold hemmed skirt, gold hemmed hood, wanderer machete, and Im getting destroyed on New Game Plus.

any recommendations would be much appreciated!
well INT has little to do with what armour you want to wear, but as a mage you prolly did the dukes archives already...logans sage robe is awesome looking for mages and pretty hefty and well rounded on defense (wear whatever leggins you wish underneath), but not much beats the dingy set for light armour.

Chitown B

woot, rang the first bell! :) Summoned a dude to help and then also the knight who gives you the white soapstone. Fight was a breeze but it was still fun.

yeah, but you do almost no damage with unupgraded weapons, aren't you?

btw.: fails compilation against capra from my epic name bro challenge(no leveling, only starting equipment) run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d0lg5jsjs8

The Jagged Ghost Blade does 155 base damage and has 300 bleed. It's actually pretty monstrous, especially when wielded double handed. The Reinforced Club does 97 base damage and also has 300 bleed, and Magic Weapon improves it greatly. A shield is almost entirely useless against Quelaag, so being able to double hand at all times helps a lot too. I really recommend taking off as much armor as necessary to get under 25% load, and double handing whenever you can.

I'm through Sen's Fortress now, it was like the first time all over again. The room where the pendulums and bridges are introduced is pure hell with those phantoms both on the ground and above. Running through and letting the chasers get knocked off was basically the only option, since handling two black phantom man-serpent soldiers head on would take forever even in the best case scenario, but the silence of the casters' spells made the first bridge very luck based. It's like the flying rays in the Shrine of Storms from Demon's Souls; devastating ranged attacks that are totally silent if they're sent from outside a certain range. The sound effect for the casters' attack is even the same as the rays' attack, just with an added snake shriek. It's like they're acknowledging how awful both of them are. Sound design for attack cues is seriously inconsistent in this game, and it pisses me off. I really hope they pay extra attention to it in the sequel.

Nice! In Sens, you'll have to go off the beaten path a little to see most of the BP enemies, IIRC.
This wasn't really the case in my experience. The area's definitely front loaded with its phantoms, but probably the weirdest moment was preparing to cross that one bridge with several pendulums very close together in perfect sync and seeing a phantom pop into existence directly across. I wonder if that was just a bug or engine limitation.

Top Bottom