• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Remastered |OT| Souls Remastered

royox

Unfair? Try playing Aldrich with a dex build having not upgraded vitality. Third playthrough I tried this, having slaughtered him easily a couple of times before. Almost everything he does one shots you. Make the slightest slip up and you die, usually from something coming from off screen. It’s insane and completely unbalanced compared to the rest of the game. I’ve never struggled like this with any boss before, souls or not. It’s very, very tedious and not at all fun. I don’t want to have to overlevel just to beat him.

At a guess there might even be some storytelling involved here — seeing as Aldrich respecced himself too much and turned to sludge — the game may very well be commenting on what you may have to do to defeat him. Me ? I just gave up. I can’t be bothered playing games that are this badly designed especially when a respec is an easy solution to the problem you face. Given the games build up to Aldrich, he needed to be a better boss. That encounter is weak, badly designed and definitely unfair if you don’t have the right specs. It’s brutal and annoying.

It's not unfair, each boss has its highs and its lows. You think Aldrich was unfair for dex builds? Try Lothric with a full STR build and only wielding a Great Sword and a Shield as I was playing. Its hit window is so low you can't never hit him withouth risking your life and praying that his next hit won't touch your hitbox for 50% of your HP. And after that BANG!! PHASE 2 WITH MOAR MAGIC AND SHIT I CAN'T DEFEND AGAIN.

And What did i do? Surrender??? SUMMON? Nah. I said "fuck it", I unequipped my shield and I fought those fuckers with only my big as fuck sword because that's the only way I can play Souls Games. Being a damn Guts wannabe.

What I want to say is....there are lots of bosses that people said "omg it's so hard" and it was a cakewalk for my build, and there are a lot of bosses that people say "it was so easy" and they were literally hell when I played. It's not unfair, it's balance. There's people out there playing these games with BOWS. My gosh I can't imagine myself playing without a sword or a shield and people is killing bosses with a god damn BOW.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I finally got my hands on the Moonlight Greatsword and as expected, it´s fucking awesome. This greenlit beast of a greatsword is the main reason for my build and it feels good to finally see my character come to life. I´m thinking of enchanting the Flamberge, it´s just too much awesomesauce packed into that thing to just ditch it, so a combo between that and MLGS would be pretty devastating. The Duke´s Archive is a fascinating place, the lore around this place is great, with channelers snatching victims for Seath the Scaleless to conduct his horrible experiments on and old Big Hat going bat shit crazy. But if talking strict gameplay here, the enemy placement is really annoying. It wouldn´t be too bad if you only got ganged up by the crystalline warriors that lurks around, they are pretty easy, but there is also ranged crystalline bow men shooting loads of arrows at you and those fucking channelers blasting Soul Arrows constantly. The first section before being trapped by Seath is terrible, I thought I was gonna go nuts in there. And Seath himself is such a boring boss, in fact he is complete shit, with one attack that he spams constantly. I must say, the bosses in Dark Souls are far less memorable than I remember. So far, the only ones worth a damn have been O & S, Sif and Artorias. The rest ranges from forgettable to pure shite. Dark Souls 2 and 3 had much better bosses.

Speaking of Artorias, now that is one boss that kicks so much ass that he puts the rest of the series bosses to shame. Holy shit, what an incredible fight he is. He comes straight up from the malevolent Abyss, with a cursed Greatsword and a broken arm, not giving two fucks about you. He twirls and slams and jumps all over the place, all while he screams in heartbreaking agony. An epic encounter. The only one I can think of that comes close to the genius that is Artorias is Slave Knight Gael, but he comes off as too much of a copycat to claim the throne. Nonetheless, Gael is a terrific boss encounter and a magnificent ending to a great series.

IMO, Artorias of the Abyss raised the bar when it comes to expansions. It is really well made with lots of interesting stuff happening in it. I actually never noticed that you can hear the thundering growl of the Abyss from the Royal Wood. I sat with headphones yesterday and when I explored the forest I heard the rumbling noises coming from the Abyss. I love these little details in Souls-games. I have played these games for thousands of hours and I still notice new things with every playthrough. Illusory walls, new items, new gameplay mechanics, new lore, environments, dialogs etc. It´s just mindblowing how much attention to detail From has put into these games.

I´ve also acquired the Tracers but I´m not getting the feel for them. They were a big reason for my build as well so it´s a little disappointing. But maybe I get the hang of them. The Gold Tracer is nice, with interesting moveset, but Dark Silver was kinda meh. I´m sticking with MLGS and Crystal Ring Shield, those two suckers are the best goddamn weapons in the game so far for my sorcerer. I picked up the Dark Orb but I haven´t had the chance to try it out, I mostly just use utility spells such as Cast Light, Repair, Fall Control, Hush combined with melee. Works so much better for me. But maybe I´m switching to a more ranged approach with the Dark Magic of Oolacile once I get my hands on them.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Right now I´m progressing through Oolacile Township and it is such a great area. The descent into the Abyss is one my favourite moments in the game. Also, Manus is the only boss in the Souls-series that I haven´t beaten solo, in the past he was just too damn hard for me, so it is due for a proper rematch. I have honed my skills to the max since the last time we met so I´m expecting an epic show down. In the main campaign I have Tomb of the Giants, Ariamis, Demon Ruin & Lost Izalith and New Londo left to complete. Except Ariamis (which is a top tier level), all these areas are among the worst in the game, especially TotG which I hate hate hate. Fuck that place with a rusty bonewheel.

iconmaster

Banned
I wonder how it stacks up to the X/Pro version, would be great if it runs at 60 fps also.

Pretty sure it’s 30fps, but hands-on impressions from PAX were that it’s consistently smooth. There’s video out there of one guy making a break for Blighttown and even in that area the frame rate held steady.

Here it is:

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I tried locking horns with Manus and he completly decimated me. That giant hand of his slammed me into the ground as if there was no tomorrow. Man, he tears down my self esteem like a boss. This one is gonna be hard as nails.

Codes 208

I tried locking horns with Manus and he completly decimated me. That giant hand of his slammed me into the ground as if there was no tomorrow. Man, he tears down my self esteem like a boss. This one is gonna be hard as nails.
You could get Sif to help out. He tends to distract some of his attention (enough for me to have won after a few tries)

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
You could get Sif to help out.

I actually stumbled upon him last night when I explored the Chasm of the Abyss. I have never seen that sequence before. I was genuinely surprised there was a hidden section here with a heartfelt moment with Sif and Alvina. Dark Souls never fails to amaze me. I will try him out against the fight, just for story purposes, since I´m normally against using summons on this playthrough.

I think I´m gonna go explore the catacombs first and then Tomb of the Giants. I need better gear so I´m farming up twinkling for my Shadow Set and Brass Armor (now that´s some fashion souls right there) since they are the two sets I usually switch among. I also have a combination of the Pharis Hat, Dingy Robe and Wanderer Manchettes and boots. I´m also going for Chesters Set and Moonlight Robes. That will pretty much be my wardrobe for this character. I´m also thinking about doing a full Gwyndolin Cosplay, never tried that before but I saw a summon who cosplayed as the Dark Sun himself and that got me hyped for a new build. Or maybe I´m making a strong Paladin-type hero, like Garl Vinland or Leeroy. That seems pretty exciting for my next playthrough. I also wanna make a build around the Obsidian Greatsword, that weapon looks like crazy fun.

But for now it´s all about my battle mage. I´m boosting up the arsenal with a magic Black Bow of Pharis and an enchanted Flamberge. Just gonna find the embers. Can´t remember where they were but I´m sure it will come back to me in time. I´m gonna search every nook and cranny in this game. I haven´t got anything else to play before Code Vein drops so I have plenty of time to devote to Dark Souls. This game is incredibly addictive. It takes over me completely, it´s like heroin in digital form. When I play these games it´s all I ever think of and it takes some serious dedication to stop playing.

Virex

Banned
Unfair? Try playing Aldrich with a dex build having not upgraded vitality. Third playthrough I tried this, having slaughtered him easily a couple of times before. Almost everything he does one shots you. Make the slightest slip up and you die, usually from something coming from off screen. It’s insane and completely unbalanced compared to the rest of the game. I’ve never struggled like this with any boss before, souls or not. It’s very, very tedious and not at all fun. I don’t want to have to overlevel just to beat him.

At a guess there might even be some storytelling involved here — seeing as Aldrich respecced himself too much and turned to sludge — the game may very well be commenting on what you may have to do to defeat him. Me ? I just gave up. I can’t be bothered playing games that are this badly designed especially when a respec is an easy solution to the problem you face. Given the games build up to Aldrich, he needed to be a better boss. That encounter is weak, badly designed and definitely unfair if you don’t have the right specs. It’s brutal and annoying.

I’ve never finished Ds1 for a similar reason (even though i’ve played it through about 4 times). Gwynn always felt cheap to me and the end of that game feels broken. There’s just too much emptiness and running around. You’re right there though, all the souls games have broken, poor bits, the only one that feels properly streamlined is Bloodborne, for me everything else seems like a work in progress, however great they are.

Ds2 has some fantastic, varied level design and experiments more, even if it does feel muddled. Most of 3 is weak in that regard. The swamps / wooded area is so dull I think a lot of people, especially first timers, would have given up there and then. Ds2 gets hammered far too often.
Gwyn hard? Learn to parry

Aces&Eights

Can you enchant the Black Knight long sword thingy? I have to go to skeletown and I love this weapon. Don't want to have to use something else.

Ulysses 31

Can you enchant the Black Knight long sword thingy? I have to go to skeletown and I love this weapon. Don't want to have to use something else.
Can't enchant black knight weapons. =/

Just wait till you get a black knight halberd, the speed and range makes it one of the best 2h weapons.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Can't enchant black knight weapons. =/

Just wait till you get a black knight halberd, the speed and range makes it one of the best 2h weapons.

I love how often those
drop towards the last part of the game
. I was also a BKS fan. I wish I could have witnessed all the pre-patch nerfs to these weapons. My original PS3 playthrough I just used an Axe.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I'm beginning to develop a serious boner for Gold Tracer. It reks everything in its path. Managed to almost kill Kalameet with this damn thing and I took down a couple of Spirit of Vengeances with ease. The parrying with Dark Tracer is nice but the game enters easy mode with the two combined. I could go on and parry king my way to Gwyn but it's not that fun. I'm sticking with Crystal Ring Shield, it fits better for my character. And roleplay and fashion souls beats boring parrying all day long.

Doing Ariamis now and it is such a good level. To hide a brilliant level like this, in an age where developers make sure you discover everything in your first playthrough, takes some real cojones. Dark Souls is just packed with cool secrets. The mechanics are so deep and the lore is so dense that the legs on this beast are unheard of. 7 years later it still packs a serious punch and it outshines nearly everything the competition has to offer.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
Get the Claymore and make it a divine Claymore and you won't have any issues in the catacombs or you can just kill the necromancers in the Catacombs and the skeletons won't reanimate. But if you don't want to kill all the necros then a divine weapon will stop the skeletons from reanimating as well.

Codes 208

Id say if youre one of the unlucky ones who didnt get a bks or bkh towards the beginning, the zwihander is also pretty useful as when dual-wielded it can break enemy poise pretty quickly, made fighting ornstein and smough quite a bit easier.

And if youre in ng+ or towards the end of your first playthrough, get the ooacile catalyst and the dark bead spell. Dark bead is amazingly op against bigger bosses

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
It´s easy to see how spoiled one have been of lately with the instant warping in DS2 and 3. When I got a hold of the Lordvessel I was disappointed that you could only warp to a select number of bonfires, instead of everyone. I thought to myself - "Why the fuck can´t I warp to Sen´s? Or the Catacombs or Darkroot? It´s retarded." But I actually like it this way since I get way too lazy and comfortable with instant warping. The decision to not have it right from the bat is great, since you have to learn the map and discover things the hard way. You struggle to advance. It is blood, sweat, tears and lot of cussing at the teve. You have to earn that shit. And when you finally earn it, you discover that you can´t warp everywhere. At first I felt it was fucking bullshit. I understand that it wasn´t in the original game, but the ones responsible for this remaster could have easily made it so you can warp to EVERY BONFIRE. They could put a fire next to Vamos so it´s not an issue of can or can´t. But honestly, I think it´s good that they didn´t. I like running around and still feel that sense of awareness, to keep me on my toes and always stay on guard. The warping takes away some of the momentum from the level design, and I feel like I´m not appreciating the environments and surroundings as much. The journey begins to feel disjointed, instead of coherent, and even if it´s a nice QoL-addition to the later games in the series I always wondered why From abandoned this approach.

Anyway, I´m done with the Painting. I had a blast in here and Gold Tracer just annihilated Priscilla. It took me less than two minutes to cut her tail and kill her. That poor thing never had a chance. I´m still getting my ass handed to me by Kalameet and Manus, they are definitely two of the most difficult bosses in the entire series. I can only think of Friede, Midir and Fume Knight giving me this much of a hard time. Kalameet also has some insane magical defense, which makes my Moonlight Greatsword feel like a fucking tooth pick. But I will prevail. I always do. I´m the Chosen Undead and I can´t die.

I´m thinking about adding Uchi to my roster of weapons. I need a fast weapon with some range, without any magic infusion. I think it would be a perfect addition to my arsenal. I rocked the Uchi in DS3 a lot, so I´m pretty comfortable with it. The curved swords doesn´t gel with me as much, the moveset is so awkward and ugly, I just can´t bring myself to like them. I got Queelags Furysword and it looks fucking awesome, but it just sucks ass to wield it. Right now I´m at Sen´s getting my face smashed in by the Prowling Demons. I need that precious Demon Titanite to upgrade some of my equipment. It´s way harder and more complicated to upgrade your weapons here than say, DS3, which was streamlined pretty good. The slabs in this game are few and far between, and farming them is almost as fun as trying to suck your own dick.

royox

Man I'm tired of my weapons....from undead burg to Anor Londo I used the KKS and from there till now (3 great lords slayed and doing the DLC) the Zweihander lightning +5 is destroying EVERYTHING. Any ideas of cool strenght weapons I could use and still destroy things?

Last edited:

Red Mage

If you don't have a PS3 to start with the original Souls title, Demon's Souls (which is not related to Dark Souls in terms of story, just for the sake of information), I would say yes. Dark Souls is the perfect way to start.

Demon's souls is a bad idea, for a newbie. The servers are nolonger online, and the world tendency, while potentially fun, would be a little bit much for someone starting out.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I just killed Nito and what a goddamn boring boss. He practically does nothing, except killing his own goons. What a moron. The end game is really lacking substance. New Londo is a cool area, I love the Darkwraiths and the story about the Abyss, but the rest of the areas are among the least exciting in the entire game. Tomb of Giants is crap from start to finish. While I do appreciate an area that is covered in complete darkness, and the way it adds tension, it so underwhelming gameplay wise that by the end of it I almost fall asleep. And those skelly dogs are the most annoying enemies in the game. Top 3 at least, with the Channelers and Bloathead Sorcerers taking the other spots.

I´ve enchanted Black Bow of Pharis and it is gooood. I don´t use it very often, as I tend to just send beams of moonlight instead when it comes to ranged combat, but when I do use it is very handy, especially with the moonlight arrows. I found the very large ember so I´m gonna upgrade Flamberge and Uchi to +15. Starting to get a real powerful arsenal now with a good mix of weapons. I will soon be gearing up for New Game + because that´s when the real Dark Souls begins. I wanna try out the Gravelord Servant covenant but I´m thinking of doing an entire build just for that, like a Darkwraith or something.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Just started playing through this and so far it’s been addicting.

Question:
The only area I found trouble is (surprise, surprise)Blighttown and it wasn’t because of the enemies or the platforming but because of a very annoying problem:

Horrible black crush that prevented me from seeing anything that wasn’t directly in front of me made it damn near impossible to get a good sense of where to go or what to do. I tried adjusting my TV (OLED) settings and turning the in game brightness way up and it was still bad although I eventually got through it. Did anyone else notice this, because I’ve never really seen it mentioned much?
Is there an item/miracle I am supposed to use that I wasn’t aware of?

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Manus is down. He was a hard bastard but I eventually managed to push through. Now it's only Kalameet left. Playing Dark Souls have reminded me how much I love Dark Souls 3. It is a much better game on all accounts. It looks better, it plays better, it sounds better, it multiplays better. Not to say that this is bad by any means, it's still a 10 out of 10 game, but Dark Souls 3 just perfected the formula.

Miyazaki sure knows how to make a good game. His track record is insane. I haven't been this impressed by a game director since Shinji Mikami was at his A-game (he still is, hasn't made a bad game yet). It's always interesting to see what he is up to. Even though Sekiro doesn't look as impressive as his previous efforts, I'm confident that it will turn out great in the end. It seems he can't fail. It doesn't matter if it's a disappointment, Miyazaki has made three of my favourite games of all time, and for that he has my eternal gratitude.

kischine

Manus is down. He was a hard bastard but I eventually managed to push through. Now it's only Kalameet left. Playing Dark Souls have reminded me how much I love Dark Souls 3. It is a much better game on all accounts. It looks better, it plays better, it sounds better, it multiplays better. Not to say that this is bad by any means, it's still a 10 out of 10 game, but Dark Souls 3 just perfected the formula.
Well, if you compare the two games with no context, then yeah, I agree that Dark Souls 3 is better. However, if you have in mind the years, and experience on the developing team, then I'd say both are on the same level. I'd say Dark Souls 1 is a complete improvement on Demon's Souls, but DS3 still had some problems comparing to DS1 and Bloodborne (not comparing with 2 tho). Even if I personally prefer to play without poise (super heavy armor was kinda stupid in DS1/2), the way the team misscommunicated this problem with the players created an even larger problem.

Although, replaying the 3 games lately, the latest game of the series is obviously the most comfortable to play. I'm really not a nostalgic person, so I think this judgment is fair.

gioGAF

They could put a fire next to Vamos so it´s not an issue of can or can´t.
Actually, they did. There is a bonfire in Vamos' area (opposite end of where he is inside the tunnel). I'm guessing you probably already figured that out, but thought I would mention it just in case.

I'd say Dark Souls 1 is a complete improvement on Demon's Souls, but DS3 still had some problems comparing to DS1 and Bloodborne (not comparing with 2 tho).
I disagree, to this day Demon's Souls remains the best entry in the series as far as I'm concerned. It is the godfather of the series, all of the key elements are already in Demon's Souls. DkS1 was definitely not a complete improvement IMO. Demon's Souls was the entire foundation, the things that are good in DkS1 are the same things that were good in Demon's Souls. I know most of the debate points for which is better are subjective (I prefer Demon's Souls world, lore, enemy design, weapons, dual wield style, weapon upgrade effects, etc.). The Demon's Souls world is for the most part complete, whereas Dark Souls 1 falls off the rails in the second half (Lost Izalith/Demon Ruins are a disgrace). My guess is you prefer DkS1 in most of those regards.

Maybe you played DkS1 first. I played Demon's Souls when it released. When Dark Souls came out, I was glad to have a spiritual sequel. DkS1 has its strong points, but it felt like a step back from Demon's Souls (for one, it ran poorly in comparison). The biggest downside was no dedicated servers. That killed interest for me and most of the people I played with. In order to pair up you had to communicate out of game (without a headset at the time) to see if your summon would show up in their world. DkS1 added all these cool covenants but ruins it by not having dedicated servers. I played DkS1 for probably 100 or 200 hours, I played Demon's Souls over a thousand.

tassletine

It's not unfair, each boss has its highs and its lows. You think Aldrich was unfair for dex builds? Try Lothric with a full STR build and only wielding a Great Sword and a Shield as I was playing. Its hit window is so low you can't never hit him withouth risking your life and praying that his next hit won't touch your hitbox for 50% of your HP. And after that BANG!! PHASE 2 WITH MOAR MAGIC AND SHIT I CAN'T DEFEND AGAIN.

And What did i do? Surrender??? SUMMON? Nah. I said "fuck it", I unequipped my shield and I fought those fuckers with only my big as fuck sword because that's the only way I can play Souls Games. Being a damn Guts wannabe.

What I want to say is....there are lots of bosses that people said "omg it's so hard" and it was a cakewalk for my build, and there are a lot of bosses that people say "it was so easy" and they were literally hell when I played. It's not unfair, it's balance. There's people out there playing these games with BOWS. My gosh I can't imagine myself playing without a sword or a shield and people is killing bosses with a god damn BOW.
I disagree. A well designed game has boss fights that are designed for repeat defeats. This one I died on probably fifty times. Every hit was a one hit kill and not in line with the previous levels difficulty.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Demon's was my first foray into Souls, the one that started it all, and although it's a very good game I prefer it the least. The series has evolved to a much better place since then.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Miyazaki sure knows how to make a good game. His track record is insane. I haven't been this impressed by a game director since Shinji Mikami was at his A-game (he still is, hasn't made a bad game yet). It's always interesting to see what he is up to. Even though Sekiro doesn't look as impressive as his previous efforts, I'm confident that it will turn out great in the end. It seems he can't fail. It doesn't matter if it's a disappointment, Miyazaki has made three of my favourite games of all time, and for that he has my eternal gratitude.
You think Dark Souls 3 is better than the first? Can't say I've heard too many people feel that way.

For me the order of greatness is:
1. Bloodborne
2. Demons Souls - still has the best level design in all the series although world tendency and item management weren’t so great.
3. Dark Souls - would be higher if not for the second half of the game being weaker.

But in truth I could switch all 3 of these and call it a 3 way tie.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yes, that's exactly what I think. I also think that Scholar of the First Sin is better than the first one too. But in the end, it doesn't matter, because I love every each and one of them to death.
So far Darl Souls 2 is the only one I didn’t like. I just simply could not get into it at the beginning and never had any desire to push on.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am loving this remaster but I have to agree that the lighting is all fucked up. Blighttown and the Catacombs have horrible black crush making it impossible to see anything that is not directly in front of you.

I have an LG OLED and basically the only way I could get through those areas was to turn the in game brightness all the way up and my TVs gamma all the way to its lowest value.

Only then did it seem to look close to normal.

I have to adjust those back to normal once I get to Firelink Shrine.

Salmon

I am loving this remaster but I have to agree that the lighting is all fucked up. Blighttown and the Catacombs have horrible black crush making it impossible to see anything that is not directly in front of you.

I have an LG OLED and basically the only way I could get through those areas was to turn the in game brightness all the way up and my TVs gamma all the way to its lowest value.

Set the RGB Range to "Limited" on your PS4. Also se if the selected source has a limited range as well. Don't use PC blacks.

Ulysses 31

I have an LG OLED too and I was able to go fine though Blighttown, Catacombs less so without a lamp or sunlight maggot helm on Xbox One X.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have an LG OLED too and I was able to go fine though Blighttown, Catacombs less so without a lamp or sunlight maggot helm on Xbox One X.
Maybe the Xbox One X handles that differently.

Btw, I picked up a lamp but I can’t find it in my inventory.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
FYI, I have my PS4 Pro set to YUV420.

EDIT: Doing a little research it appears that automatic is the best setting as YUV420 is the preferred setting for HDR games while RGB is preferred for SDR games. Automatic selects this between games.

I’ll see if that helps on Sunday and report back!

Last edited:

royox

Lol wanna read your comment when you reach the Tomb of Giants

tassletine

Gwyn hard? Learn to parry

I didn't say hard. Cheap.

The last few hours / levels of DS1 are extremely poor. If they weren't attached to the rest of the game they wouldn't hold up. They're like a bunch of test levels, all of them are badly designed.

Red Mage

I'm beginning to develop a serious boner for Gold Tracer. It reks everything in its path. Managed to almost kill Kalameet with this damn thing and I took down a couple of Spirit of Vengeances with ease. The parrying with Dark Tracer is nice but the game enters easy mode with the two combined. I could go on and parry king my way to Gwyn but it's not that fun. I'm sticking with Crystal Ring Shield, it fits better for my character. And roleplay and fashion souls beats boring parrying all day long.

Doing Ariamis now and it is such a good level. To hide a brilliant level like this, in an age where developers make sure you discover everything in your first playthrough, takes some real cojones. Dark Souls is just packed with cool secrets. The mechanics are so deep and the lore is so dense that the legs on this beast are unheard of. 7 years later it still packs a serious punch and it outshines nearly everything the competition has to offer.

I have a love / hate relationship with Gold Tracer. It's an awesome weapon, but so many gankers use it.

Ulysses 31

I didn't say hard. Cheap.

The last few hours / levels of DS1 are extremely poor. If they weren't attached to the rest of the game they wouldn't hold up. They're like a bunch of test levels, all of them are badly designed.
What do you consider the last part exactly? You can choose in what order you do the required 3 bosses to access Gwyn and Lost Izalith and the area before are the only ones I consider lack luster. And you can always do the DLC and then move on the Gwyn and the DLC areas certainly can't be called disappointing IMO.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
A new cutscene played out when I faced Sif after rescuing him in the Chasm of the Abyss. I think I cried during the entire fight. That boss battle is one of the most heartbreaking things I´ve endured in a game. Miayzaki makes me feel like a fucking asshole running around murdering animals who just wants to protect what´s theirs. Sif and Artorias, that whole story, it´s just so sad. It´s storytelling of the highest order.

It was the same thing in Demon´s with Astraea. I remember coming in to the boss arena of after being to hell and back in the Valley of Defilements. It was a gruesome area that really tested my patience, with poisonous swamps, disgusting trolls and larvae maggots circling around me making life suck as much as possible. Then I go through the fog and this beautiful yet haunting melody starts to play. People sit on their knees and pray. I hear a womans voice telling me to turn around. There is nothing here for me to pillage and plunder. I´m like "What the fuck, I´m the slayer of Demons, give me your Soul."

I go down a small path and at the end of it I´m greeted by Garl Vinland, Astraeas bodyguard, and he carries the biggest fucking hammer on the planet. "I shall let no harm come to dearest Astraea. May you rot in the deepest depths of this swamp", he tells me. We fight each other to the death and I come out victorious. I approach Astraea who just sits there and does nothing. I was expecting her to whip out some godtier magic and defend herself. But no, she doesn´t. Instead, she pleads for her life. I´m starting to get second thoughts about killing her. But I need her soul in order to advance so I strike her down with only one blow.

That entire scene was gut-wrenching. I thought I played the hero and killed demons to rid Boletaria from the fog. But I ain´t, I´m the bad guy who just killed an innocent maiden whose sole purpose was to make sick peoples life better. That shit hurts.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I love this game but I have to agree with the “consensus” that the game hits a major snag in the later part post-Anor Londo. It’s still fine but considerably less fun.

tassletine

What do you consider the last part exactly? You can choose in what order you do the required 3 bosses to access Gwyn and Lost Izalith and the area before are the only ones I consider lack luster. And you can always do the DLC and then move on the Gwyn and the DLC areas certainly can't be called disappointing IMO.

I consider Demon Ruins, Lost Izliath, Kiln of The First flame and Crystal Cave to be pretty awful ie: Something with reused assets or has poorly / barely designed levels.
Ash Lake only gets a pass because it impresses you when you get there -- Other than that though it's not really a level in any traditional sense, more like an easter egg.
Demons ruins is probably the worst offender with it's massive demons all lined up waiting for you, but the rest of those levels have the distinct air of 'unfinished' about them too. Random enemy placement etc.

The DLC is great though, it shows you what they would have done given the time. My favourite DLC was for DS2 as it showed some experimentation and new ideas. It saddened me that DS3 was so conservative in this regard.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Kalameet finally bested. He was the last one of the bosses that I haven´t finished solo. It took nine tries before he finally bit the dust. Overall, he is one of the worst bosses in the series. Aside from Sinh, From just can´t manage to make a decent dragon boss. They just give them an absurd amount of health and call it a day. They did it with Kalameet, Ancient Dragon and Midir, and they are equally worthless. The most annoying thing with Kalameet is that he has two attacks that starts identical. In both instances, he stands up on his back legs, either breathing his dark breath or giving you the red eye. The former attack is where you can actually do some damage, but unfortunately, every time you think that he is going to do that, he picks you up and beams you. That´s a dick move. Seriously, Miyazaki can´t direct for shit when it comes to dragons.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Gwyn is laughably easy if you parry him. Probably killed him under 2 minutes. I don't think I'm gonna endure a second round. I thought Dark Souls were gonna hold my attention for much longer. But it's clear as day, that this has not aged particularly well, and some aspects of it are just downright bad. Souls got better for each iteration, that's one thing for sure. Or maybe I've just played this damn game too much, lol. I need something new and fresh. Where is Code Vein when you need it?

Top Bottom