• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe's Comic Con 2005 panel information

ManaByte

Comic Con posted the full schedule for the con finally, which includes the time and information on David Jaffe's panel:

1:30-2:30 Did Videogames Kill the Comic Book?—Videogame director David Jaffe (God of War, Twisted Metal: Black) was a slobbering fanboy when he first contacted comic writer Paul Jenkins (Spider-Man, Hulk, The Sentry) about working together on a series of videogames. Since then, the two have shared many conversations about the potential of the gaming medium, the worst parts of the games business, and the fact that games may have very well killed the comic book. In this one-hour discussion, Paul and David share these thoughts along with others, such as why most comic book videogames lack emotional impact and how to make the perfect comics-based game. As both Paul and David are pretty easygoing fellows, feel free to shout out questions and disagreements during the conversation. Room 6A

That's on Sunday, which means I won't be skipping Sunday like I usually do :D

ManaByte

Also on Sunday, Nintendo is showing off Zelda:
2:30-3:30 Nintendo: Three New Games—Nintendo offers closer looks at three new games. Battalion Wars: Grab your controller and get ready to hit the beach with the newest military mayhem to arrive on Nintendo GameCube. With several campaigns locked and loaded, Battalion Wars puts you in charge of Nintendo's latest front-line forces. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: When an evil shadow stretches from the heart of Hyrule to its peaceful borderlands, a young farm boy named Link must awaken the hero within and stand tall in defense of his village. Lead Link and his beloved steed into battle against hordes of foul creatures with an incredible horseback combat system, then take on massive bosses that have to be seen to be believed. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance: All of Tellius is torn in a bloody war that has set the human empires against the nations of the shape-shifting laguz. A small band of mercenaries, lead by the earnest but inexperienced Ike, possesses the means to end this war, but a hard path lies before them. Room 6A

ManaByte

"As both Paul and David are pretty easygoing fellows, feel free to shout out questions and disagreements during the conversation."

Any requests? :lol

It certainly will be interesting to see what Jaffe is working on next. After playing God of War, I am certainly interested.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Video Games didnt kill Comic books. Comic books killed themselfs. :lol
People can only read the same story over and over so many times before it gets repetitive and boring.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
ManaByte said:
Any requests? :lol

Ask how it is that there's never been a decent 2000AD game (Hush, you at the back waving a battered Spectrum copy of Nemesis the Warlock).

And ask Jenkins and Jaffe to do a Hellblazer survival horror, just so the old guard Vertigo community actually explodes.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
D2M15 said:
Ask how it is that there's never been a decent 2000AD game (Hush, you at the back waving a battered Spectrum copy of Nemesis the Warlock).

Because Rebellion owns 2000AD, that's why. Tee hee.

Deg

Banned
Judt got God of war. Not feeling it. When does the game get good? Right now i'd rather play more BF2.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Mr Mike said:
Because Rebellion owns 2000AD, that's why. Tee hee.

Me-ow!

But I was talking more about the late Eighties - early Nineties, while Britsoft was actually still good.

A Judge Dredd game that blatantly formula swipes from GTA would be pretty sweet. Tool around the city on Dredd's bad ass chopper busting crime, and generally being a very scary cop. :lol

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
God, yes. It's kind of strange that the two comic licenses so blatantly made to out-GTA GTA - Dredd and Batman - are the ones they'll never do.

GAMES INDUSTRY, FROM MY PARENTS' BASEMENT IN GRIMSBY, I STRIKE AT THEE!

Amir0x

Banned
LuCkymoON said:
Video Games didnt kill Comic books. Comic books killed themselfs. :lol
People can only read the same story over and over so many times before it gets repetitive and boring.

I'm not quite sure what you're implying. Are you saying comics aren't a versatile form of entertainment? Or that they're any more/less repetitive/boring than any other graphic medium? Or that it's more prone to reused storylines?

I mean, 'cause... which "same story" am I reading "over and over"?

I'm not quite sure what you're implying. Are you saying comics aren't a versatile form of entertainment?

Don't be obtuse Amirox.

If we had nothing but Mario games to play for the next 40-60 years, we'd be pretty god damned sick of gaming. Look at what that sort of narrowminded vision has gotten Nintendo - here's where Nintendo fans point out profit, but I'm speaking of Third Place.

The American comic market can learn a lot from the video game industry, but it's not likely it ever will. Largely because it's not respected as a viable medium for entertainment (Hasn't been for about 40 years now), and because it's not profitable / a worthwhile endeavor to outside parties who could affect such a change.

You know, as much as I enjoy the action in Batman - I'd prefer to see a game where the detective aspect was played upon. But not in the inane Japanese Survival Horror fasion - "There is a green door with the shape of a horse shoe in the center."

No, stringing together clues and tracking criminal down. That would rock. Sort of like that - IIRC Peter Milligan run on Batman where he had to track down the riddler and perform a tracheotomy on a baby. :D

The Take Out Bandit said:
The American comic market can learn a lot from the video game industry, but it's not likely it ever will. Largely because it's not respected as a viable medium for entertainment (Hasn't been for about 40 years now), and because it's not profitable / a worthwhile endeavor to outside parties who could affect such a change.

This makes me sad. I find I gain most emotional attachment to both a story and characters through comic books. I think it is one of the best mediums to tell a story, other than an actual novel perhaps, and all the different art styles really draw me in. However, you are right, it is not a viable medium anymore as far as the mainstream is concerned. My friends rather watch a cartoon or play a video game based upon comics than actually read comics. At one point I thought video games and movies based upon comic books would help elevate comics as people would become better acquainted with the characters and seek to read about them in their true form. Now I dread the day when that "true form" may actually become the movies and video games and comics cease to exist. I hope that day never comes. This is not to take away from other forms of art/entertainment/communication such as the previously mentioned movies and video games as I love those (I am on a video game forum afterall.), but I find comic books and graphic novels to be rather underappreciated by a large majority who I think would grow to enjoy them if given the opportunity.

Okay, my rant is done. Sorry. Oh, one last thing. What is the current status of the comic book industry from an economic standpoint if anyone knows?

Solid

i just beat god of war.. and david, that was one helluva game! i think i'm in love!

now start working on the sequel. kthx :)

Top Bottom