• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Schwimmer Proposes 'All-Black' or 'All-Asian' Reboot of 'Friends'

brap

Banned
He also proposed some possible reboot ideas.

"Maybe there should be an all-black Friends or an all-Asian Friends," Schwimmer told the Guardian. "But I was well aware of the lack of diversity and I campaigned for years to have Ross date women of color. One of the first girlfriends I had on the show was an Asian American woman, and later I dated African American women. That was a very conscious push on my part."

BONUS LINK

buizel

Banned
what would an all-black Friends reboot be called Ross? HMM? HMMMMMMMM???

can you imagine an all-asian reboot? wouldnt last 1 season if they all kept comitting suicide for being disrespectful to each other

Last edited:
dont need no reboot

you got big bang theory fuckin parks and recreation

now you got whats that fuckin show with kumar, sunnyside?

you got fresh off the boat

i think ross was the only funny one on friends, matthew perry was some forced shit

*Nightwing

So, take the premise of 6 white CIS friends daily enjoyment of white privilege, and recast it with the minorities whose very own oppression is due to the white CIS privilege these very same 6 friends enjoy on the daily(or weekly rather) based on his very own reasoning for coming up with this contradictory idea?

can you imagine an all-asian reboot? wouldnt last 1 season if they all kept comitting suicide for being disrespectful to each other
it would be called "Contradictory Ideas" or "The Oxymoron Pals"

I guess they skipped the episode called "The one where Ross tries to have it both ways and learns a valuable lesson" on the original show
/s

Last edited:

buizel

Banned
friends-leaving-netflix.jpg
friends.jpg

104-posts.article_md.jpg

i really like season 1 friends aesthetic

dont need no reboot

you got big bang theory fuckin parks and recreation

now you got whats that fuckin show with kumar, sunnyside?

you got fresh off the boat

i think ross was the only funny one on friends, matthew perry was some forced shit

big bang theory.. fucking lol, honestly watch big bang theory then friends and there is so much more effort and good writing and whatever in FRIENDS. its like a whole other show (not saying friends is a masterpiece but its a whole different ball park than BBT's hilarious 'jokes'

256cef5079c4ab64476a5ee9f09db36e.jpg
)

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so is this going to be about a bunch of unemployed black people who live in amazing huge apartments in NYC? don't they already have plenty other shows like that?

this whole thing sounds like a desperate plea for relevance from the worst character in Friends. which is, like, already a pretty low bar, lol.

Last edited:
"Maybe there should be an all-black Friends or an all-Asian Friends," Schwimmer told the Guardian. "But I was well aware of the lack of diversity and I campaigned for years to have Ross date women of color. One of the first girlfriends I had on the show was an Asian American woman, and later I dated African American women. That was a very conscious push on my part."

I see white, black and asian. just needs a latino and we got the 4 elements of american diversity covered.

ExpandKong

Banned
"But I was well aware of the lack of diversity and I campaigned for years to have Ross date women of color. One of the first girlfriends I had on the show was an Asian American woman, and later I dated African American women. That was a very conscious push on my part."

I can 100% see David Schwimmer thinking “Hmm I can finally kiss a real life Asian waifu if SHE’S FORCED TO DO IT FOR MONEY ON TELEVISION!” Because Ross is the worst Friend and I can only imagine David Schwimmer is too.

What about half black half Asian Friends, Ross? Is society ready for that, or does it beggar belief? How about two separate shows and they do a crossover event in season two, Ross? Will there be a Pakistani Friends someday? Will they learn to get along with Indian Friends?

Kreen101

Kenpachii

Racisme is only good when we do it !

Anyway it seems like he had a not so pure opinion and was actually a bit critical against the new woke nazi clubs and started to drop the black / asian cast in order to recoup his blunder.

That's what i get out of it.

"I feel that a lot of the problem today in so many areas is that so little is taken in context," Schwimmer, who called the show "groundbreaking in its time," said. "You have to look at it from the point of view of what the show was trying to do at the time. I'm the first person to say that maybe something was inappropriate or insensitive, but I feel like my barometer was pretty good at that time. I was already really attuned to social issues and issues of equality."

He also proposed some possible reboot ideas.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Wouldn't an all-black/asian a sitcom actually look less diverse? Since they both all have the same hair and eye colour.

O-N-E

Wouldn't an all-black/asian a sitcom actually look less diverse? Since they both all have the same hair and eye colour.

Yeah, it still wouldn't be diverse, but I wouldn't care.

They can do that. Just don't pretend it's because of diversity.

-Troid-

Banned
What's the point of remaking a sitcom anyways? It's not like it's something that could benefit from better special effects or anything. Plus there's been a bunch of different sitcoms thoughout the last several decades with different ethnicities of people. You don't have to make a "Friends" with black/asian people. Just make a sitcom about a bunch of black/asian people who are friends and call it something else. A sitcom is just supposed to be about real life; you can't remake real life.

He does know about living single right that show that came out before friends. Remake that lol

Six black 20-somethings -- four women and two men -- share their lives and loves in a Brooklyn brownstone. A trio of women share one of the apartments, receiving frequent visits from a fourth pal; meanwhile, two men who've been friends for years share an apartment one floor up

Instead of segregating they should now make one 'ultimate friends' with all the different groups friending each other among different divisions of friendom to see who is the friendest of all the friends. Friends. Happy friends.

Living Single ;)

This is a stupidly idiotic idea. If anything they would try an all-LGBT Friends to "make up" for the supercuts on Youtube throwing all the gay jokes into hour-long videos.

I'd love a reboot of any of these.

MV5BMTg1NDU4MjAzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTAyNjMzMQ@@._V1_UY268_CR8,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
Fat-Albert.jpg
12287636_1300x1733.jpg

Nah they'd just mess all three of them up. Lose the '90s charm and inject current-day political nonsense into them. Like the upcoming Saved by the Bell thingie.

Last edited:

Son Tofu

Banned
He does know about living single right that show that came out before friends. Remake that lol

Six black 20-somethings -- four women and two men -- share their lives and loves in a Brooklyn brownstone. A trio of women share one of the apartments, receiving frequent visits from a fourth pal; meanwhile, two men who've been friends for years share an apartment one floor up
That's even better than my example.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Black people are a bit more diverse than that. Dude... We all have different shades, hair colors, hair styles (even within the same gender), eye colors and so much more. You have black geeks ON THIS BOARD who aren't superstar athletes or sing a tune whatsoever.

Top Bottom