• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Schwimmer Proposes 'All-Black' or 'All-Asian' Reboot of 'Friends'

GV82

I’d rather people of colour get their own successful newly created shows and films.

Thats how you get Movies like Crazy Rich Asians & thats how we got Fresh Prince of Bel Air etc.

And friends is rubbish anyway.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Pretty sure friends was always woke to start with tho.

Wasn't it all about 3 of those chicks that whored themselves out with 3 pet men around them, that kept validating their behavior.

Chandler: 10.5 sex partners
Ross: 14 sex partners
Monica: 14.5 sex partners
Rachel: 15.5 sex partners
Phoebe: 32.5 sex partners
Joey: 51.5 sex partners

Basically tinder the show with a bunch of soys.

Last edited:

nbcjr

but what about mexicans/latinos? were they forgotten? that's racist.

On a side note, Imagine an all-white fresh price reboot lol

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

It makes me sad we're never going to get another show like Married with Children or Friends, at least not an American one.

Orpheum

How about a completely new sitcom with an all black or Asian cast instead of making a shitty reboot and blaming white men for the inevitable failure.

I loved shows like Everybody hates Chris or My wife and kids. Do something NEW! nobody would mind

Riastrad

Banned
David Schwimmer is the guy who thinks Hollywood isn't Jewish enough.

"Schwimmer realised he was always going to be the outsider. 'I definitely felt a class system in place.' He felt the same thing when he later started trying to find work and discovered his looks were considered 'too ethnic' for leading roles. He thinks Hollywood is rife with racism and anti-semitism, even though many of the producers and directors are Jewish. "

buizel

Banned
An all-dwarf version of Friends would be better.

omg can you imagine them all trying to clamber onto the sofa together for the intro with their little high pitched squeeks and little trousers falling down

omg

iu

Nymphae

Banned
If you actually read the article though it’s pretty obvious he’s not trying to be woke - he just says it flippantly. Thread title’s a little unfair, I think.

Yes he 100% is trying to be come across as a woke lol, did you read the fucking quote?

"Maybe there should be an all-black Friends or an all-Asian Friends," Schwimmer told the Guardian. "But I was well aware of the lack of diversity and I campaigned for years to have Ross date women of color. One of the first girlfriends I had on the show was an Asian American woman, and later I dated African American women. That was a very conscious push on my part."

Maybe they should reboot it with an all POC cast! I was personally well aware of this injustice in the 90's! And personally campaigned for years to have my character date PoC's! We had Ross date an Asian and a black! And that was a very conscious thing that I, David Schwimmer, was pushing.

Siri

Banned
Yes he 100% is trying to be come across as a woke lol, did you read the fucking quote?

Maybe they should reboot it with an all POC cast! I was personally well aware of this injustice in the 90's! And personally campaigned for years to have my character date PoC's! We had Ross date an Asian and a black! And that was a very conscious thing that I, David Schwimmer, was pushing.

Yes I read it.

He says of all the millennials who were ‘shocked’ when watching Friends that he ‘doesn’t really care‘. What’s not clear about that?

The thread title makes it appear as though he’s actively campaigning for an all-black Friends. He’s not.

I’d actually say that YOU didn’t read it.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Yes I read it.

He says of all the millennials who were ‘shocked’ when watching Friends that he ‘doesn’t really care‘. What’s not clear about that?

The thread title makes it appear as though he’s actively campaigning for an all-black Friends. He’s not.

I’d actually say that YOU didn’t read it.

The thread title says he proposes the idea. He does. The quote I retyped barely had to be altered at all to be dripping with wokeness, he really wants people to know he was woke in the 90's and fighting for POCs.

Gargus

Banned
So his proposal here is to take a show without diversity and make it all-black or all-asian. Seems like he'd have the same problem.

Something can only be without diversity if it's all white people.

Just like the only people that are racist are white people. Only men can be sex offenders. You should know all this by now.

Would the Korean version be Fliends?

If they remake it, remake it good. Friends was boring as shit. Not just friends, any show with canned laughter is an insult.

Calcium

Banned
Something can only be without diversity if it's all white people.

Just like the only people that are racist are white people. Only men can be sex offenders. You should know all this by now.

Oh, I'm perfectly aware. Doesn't mean I'm not going to point out how hypocritical his line of thinking is.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Wow amazing. Imagine an all Asian or all Black sitcom. Truly revolutionary idea there, it's not like there are any of these on TV already.

gioGAF

What a jackass! Typical Hollywood idiot closing the door behind him.

It would have been great if you had given up your spot to a Black or Asian actor when you were originally cast for the show. Funny how you ask for this shit now when you are sitting on a mountain of cash you fucking hypocrite!

This strikes me as another “heart is probably in the right place, terrible execution/choice of words” foot in mouth scenario that seem to be occurring more often these days.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds dwarfist!
Nazi!

Why don't you think of the giant-sized dwarves, you cunt!
They need representation too, GODAMIT!!

Top Bottom