• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Schwimmer Proposes 'All-Black' or 'All-Asian' Reboot of 'Friends'

Roufianos

Lmao at someone of Jewish descent claiming that they're "privileged". They face as much discrimination as anyone. Of course, the left doesn't want to hear that though.

Also, the cast was pretty diverse. Aniston's part Greek, Le Blanc is Italian and French, Schwimmer and Kudrow are Jewish.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Or how about not doing anything? Friends was friends, you can't replicate it, and besides the show is still super popular to this day, hence why all of them will get huge checks every year for the rest of their lives.

There is zero need to reboot it.

Kamina

Golden Boy
And we need this why? To fulfill a diversity quota no one gives a fuck about other than Reee and a bunch of Twitter SWJs?

Edit: also an all black friends isn't very diverse now is it.

Last edited:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get the 'reboot' angle.
It's a fairly generic sitcom idea, isn't it?
Aren't there a billion of those already? With more made every year?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
And we need this why? To fulfill a diversity quota no one gives a fuck about other than Reee and a bunch of Twitter SWJs?

Edit: also an all black friends isn't very diverse now is it.

The all black version was already done. It was called Living Single and it was ripped off by NBC and made into Friends as an all white version.

Doom85

Wait, his push to have more minorities in the original series was to have them date ROSS of all characters?

I think minorities would rather make zero appearances in Friends if that was their only option...

Friends does feel hilariously dated even when it aired in its diversity representation of New York of all places. Not necessarily because all 6 Friends are white, but that so many supporting/background characters are white to the point of absurdity. Meanwhile, Seinfeld showed a far more realistic depiction of New York, hell a guy I worked with when I had a summer job cleaning at a community college grew up in New York and he said Seinfeld was one of the few times he's seen New York in TV that feels legit. And Seinfeld even makes fun of the race element of the main group. When George ends up in a situation that makes him look racist against a black co-worker, it's pointed out that it doesn't help that George has zero black friends.....but then it's pointed out that he doesn't even have ANY friends outside of the other three (really, Kramer is the only one with a wide social circle).

But yeah, just do a whole new series, why does it have to be Friends? There was nothing that unique about Friends that demands a modern version, and it's not a franchise or anything that has had continuous installments like movie series or superhero comic books. I mean, let's say hypothetically Spin City had zero diversity (it did have some, but we're using hypothetically). Well, the creator wouldn't do a reboot of it. No, he just goes on to make Scrubs like he did in real life.

Mihos

Gold Member
They want a minority focused show with majority broad appeal. So, basically, they will try to take something that exists and palette swap everyone thinking the pre-established audience will stay.

lock2k

Banned
Wait, his push to have more minorities in the original series was to have them date ROSS of all characters?

I think minorities would rather make zero appearances in Friends if that was their only option...

Friends does feel hilariously dated even when it aired in its diversity representation of New York of all places. Not necessarily because all 6 Friends are white, but that so many supporting/background characters are white to the point of absurdity. Meanwhile, Seinfeld showed a far more realistic depiction of New York, hell a guy I worked with when I had a summer job cleaning at a community college grew up in New York and he said Seinfeld was one of the few times he's seen New York in TV that feels legit. And Seinfeld even makes fun of the race element of the main group. When George ends up in a situation that makes him look racist against a black co-worker, it's pointed out that it doesn't help that George has zero black friends.....but then it's pointed out that he doesn't even have ANY friends outside of the other three (really, Kramer is the only one with a wide social circle).

But yeah, just do a whole new series, why does it have to be Friends? There was nothing that unique about Friends that demands a modern version, and it's not a franchise or anything that has had continuous installments like movie series or superhero comic books. I mean, let's say hypothetically Spin City had zero diversity (it did have some, but we're using hypothetically). Well, the creator wouldn't do a reboot of it. No, he just goes on to make Scrubs like he did in real life.

Seinfeld is also a much better (and timeless) series than Friends.

cryptoadam

Banned
just posting a picture cause not sure its widely known how similar the concept for living single (1993) was to friends (1994). One takes place in Brooklyn the other in Manhattan.

living-single-friends.jpg

Goddamn WHYTE man always appropriating black culture.

Since Friends was originally part of ancient black culture its only appropriate they take it back now with a new remake. The WHYTES who watched/watch Friends should pay repirations for enjoying a show that appropriates black culture.

Top Bottom