• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Comics' take on an "Ultimate" universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing the massive success that Marvel's having the Ultimate Universe, the good folks over at DC are thinking of cashing in on the idea. So I'm reading this week's edition of Lying in The Gutters and Rich Johnston runs down the proposed lineups for the titles:

DC CONCENTRATE

While rumours are rife that the "Ultimatized" DC line will be published through Wildstorm, I understand that this isn't set in stone. It currently consists of the previously mentioned "Batman And Robin" by Jim Lee & Jeph Loeb (then Art Adams & Jeff Loeb), "Wonder Woman" by Adam Hughes and Jeph Loeb and Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely on "Superman." The project is scheduled for the last quarter of 2005, but possible delays even to that stymied a Chicago announcement. But with those artists, you might need a little lead in time. Not to mention thinking up a name for it that doesn't begin with "U."

The Justice League Of America project "Justice" by Jim Krueger, Doug Braithwaite and Alex Ross, was originally intended for this line, has been through rewrites and now will be released as a standard DCU project.

It's pegged with a yellow light, which means take any info with a grain of salt. But you know I'm salivating at a Morrison/Quitely take on Supes.

Willco

Hollywood Square
The problem is that DC doesn't have nearly the storied backhistory problems that have plagued Marvel's 616 titles, especially since they came up with that snazzy Post-Crisis idea.

Whatever. I'm not buying any of these titles.

Willco

Hollywood Square
8bit said:
You're not interested in Morrison & Quitely on Superman? Are you dead inside?

I'd be interested in seeing Morrison on a REAL Superman comic. I'm sick of Superman Elseworlds and retellings. It's stupid. DC has spent so much time and energy, far more than Marvel even, retelling the origins of all their stable characters in various formats/universes.

I'm not going to help perpetuate this movement.

8bit

Knows the Score
Fair enough.
I agree entirely about the lack of need for such a thing as DC tend to keep their house in order WRT continuity, but other than Alan Moore's Albion project it's the one project I find exciting for next year.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Ignatz Mouse said:
I think the idea behind the Ultimate line was that it eventually take over as the main line.

I can't see DC doing that.

That's never been the idea or ever will be for Marvel.

nomoment

karasu said:
How is that Supeman comic with Jim Lee and that other dude? Is it any good?
Sucks. Don't waste your time or money.

As for Ultimate DC? Listen folks, it isn't going to happen. These rumor column guys got the rumor wrong, this time.

Willco

Hollywood Square
nomoment said:

As for Ultimate DC? Listen folks, it isn't going to happen. These rumor column guys got the rumor wrong, this time.

Rich Johnston lies again? I say we IM until his computer explodes! That'll teach him!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
karasu said:
How is that Supeman comic with Jim Lee and that other dude? Is it any good?

... I love the look... the current storyline has been slow as shit... although the next 2 issues(I think it's the next two) look like they might be interesting.

nomoment said:

Not even as an Elseworlds project?

nomoment

mightynine said:
Not even as an Elseworlds project?
Maybe.

I'm fairly certain Ultimate DC, or a new DC Universe ISN'T happening, though. I think this is a small rumor that just snowballed into something ridiculous.

Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely will be doing regular DCU Superman when they're good and ready.

i dont want no ultimates level type of delays on any superman book. it's ridiculous. quietly is good but that's just unacceptable. alex ross takes less time and his books always come out on time. and azzarello's current run on superman is good right now.

nomoment said:
It'll take Quitely at least three years to draw 12 issues of Superman. And to boot, he's not even finished drawing the last issue of We3.

Agreed. Have at least six issues in the can before you even solicit it.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I'm not a Quitely-hater, like many are, but - dammit, Jim! - his style is not that amazing or detailed that it should take such a long time for him to get his crap to print.

Willco said:
That's never been the idea or ever will be for Marvel.

Well, not publicly stated maybe, but I certainly believe that's been a lot of the motive. I sure don't think it's just a "retelling for new readers" game.

MC Safety

mightynine said:
It's pegged with a yellow light, which means take any info with a grain of salt. But you know I'm salivating at a Morrison/Quitely take on Supes.

I'm looking forward to Quitely doing two solid issues, before they have to get a fill-in penciler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom