• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I've officially quit Green Lanterns. There's only so many times I can open a book and see "My name is Simon Baz... I'm awesome...I hate my partner... did I mention I was in Guantanamo Bay?"
Funny thing is, this is pretty much verbatim the type of opening dialogue we get each issue. I dropped it two issues ago.

The Light

Not feeling the setup for conflict with bruce in red hood. After Damien explained bruce faith in everyone in batman & robin eternal the distrust bruce has and jason trying to prove himself once again doesn't work for me.

Also checked out justice league and kinda jarring to see full metal cyborg back after reading his current book with the redesign. What made DC go back on it?

So they condensed 5 years of Nu52 Supergirl stories into a couple of months... That's gonna bug the hell outta me.

Blame Dr. Manhattan. Seriously, the timeline makes very little sense. According to Lois and Clark, Nu52 supes has been around for 10 years, and the original Justice League vs Darkseid fight was right when he got back, that means that the new 52 has been going for 5 years, as that first story was 5 years in the past . Of course that would make Damien 8 years old at the start of the new 52, which seems SUPER young, and he's 13 now. Never mind the whole Titans timeline. I just headcannon it as time trying to fix itself and move on from there.

aly

My main problem with Red Hood is that the only way these events can occur is for The under the red hood plot line not to have happened. Which sucks cause he black mask portion of that story was pretty good. Seriously though that Black mask gimp face is hideous and more laughable than anything. I cannot figure out why they went with that design .

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I've officially quit Green Lanterns. There's only so many times I can open a book and see "My name is Simon Baz... I'm awesome...I hate my partner... did I mention I was in Guantanamo Bay?"

What did you expect from Sam Humphries?

Lashley

we get it

7e66574e48fe02ca131ce4e197c82d43.jpg

wamberz1

Red Hood #1

So I am re-reading this to figure out why this is a massive cut over Lobdell's average work, and I am still at a loss.

Story: Bafflingly readable.

-I am very happy that Lobdell continues to mine Jason's past and retoractively give meaning to his time as Robin
-Jason is definitely trying to be a hero here, but the story is obviously leading to him being placed in a position to disobey Bruce. The setup for that conflict is pretty solid thus far.
-I really like what seems to be an extended effort to examine Jason's relationship with his parental figures.
-All praise aside, the story is much too disjointed. I know Lobdell really wants to bring the team together, but he just chewed through a good 2 - 3 issues of story in one
-The base is cool, but I would have like more info as to how it came to be. Seems much too established for his operation

Artwork: Amazing.

-Red Hood's newer design is his simplest but most most effective thus far.
-Black Mask looks great. I know the look is controversial, but I really like what they are going for with it
-Artemis looks legit intimidating. Love her design.
-Ton of detail.
-Lovely coloring.

I'm really like the emphasis on dark red, while everything else is less pronounced.

How does a Green Lantern's suit get rips and tears in it? I know this isn't the first artist to draw it, but it has never made sense to me.

The suit is fixed and maintened by their will/ring energy. So if they run low the suit should tatter. Since it's really a ring construct it would likely cosmetically tatter if the Lantern expected it too as well.

Lashley

How does a Green Lantern's suit get rips and tears in it? I know this isn't the first artist to draw it, but it has never made sense to me.

Didn't you know Jessica has anxiety?

She can't make constructs because she has anxiety, perhaps the suit is ripping because she started feeling anxious because of her anxiety?

You see, Jessica Cruz, suffers from anxiety.

The Light

Didn't you know Jessica has anxiety?

She can't make constructs because she has anxiety, perhaps the suit is ripping because she started feeling anxious because of her anxiety?

You see, Jessica Cruz, suffers from anxiety.

haha basically her every issue so far. Even with all this im still enjoying the comic a bit.

MartyStu

we get it

I have not picked up this book since the third issue, but that has mostly been because I had to drop something.

This page looks fine though. Pleasant even.

The gimmick has not been used long enough to become stale. Not sure why were are pretending it has.

Lashley

I have not picked up this book since the third issue, but that has mostly been because I had to drop something.

This page looks fine though. Pleasant even.

The gimmick has not been used long enough to become stale. Not sure why were are pretending it has.

He uses this intro every issue, and about 2 pages at least every issue to remind us Jessica has anxiety

The suit is fixed and maintened by their will/ring energy. So if they run low the suit should tatter. Since it's really a ring construct it would likely cosmetically tatter if the Lantern expected it too as well.
Yes I get that, but drawing the depleting energy as rips and tears the same way as they would appear on a regular costume has always seemed wrong to me. It's an energy construct, have pieces of it fade away, or flicker, or anything more visually interesting.

And let's not forget the many times that a ring has been tapped out and the costume still remained.

TheFlow

Banned
B]Greenarrow #5[/B]

Felt like the end of a average action movie except I didn't get much resolution but more problems leading into the next arc.

Emiko is captured, Ollie is back on an island, and everyone is kinda split up. Plus I wanna know what is going to happen to the baddies from this arc

Good news is #6-7 will be done by Stephen Byrne and then we get the return of the signature artist "Otto Smchidt(spelt that name wrong)

3/5 but the story being told has me excited especially the next issue which is
emiko in Japan fighting Yakuza XD

Just catched up with the last two issues of Aquaman and it is still awesome. I do not get the complaints with the art except for Black Manta's scars goddamn they look bad. And I like how Mera doesn't take anyone's shit. Fuck the surface world!

But man they're about to get their asses whooped by Superdad and I'm gonna hate it :(

mosaic

go eat paint
Harley Quinn #2 was just as bad as the first. Why do I do this to myself?

I feel like Harley Quinn, New Super-man, and Green Lanterns are supposed to be satires. In that regard, I'm kind of digging the Chinese Superheroes. But Harley Quinn and Green Lanterns are so bad... So... Bad.

Harley Quinn #2 was just as bad as the first. Why do I do this to myself?

You've already realized this, but you have nobody to blame but yourself. The first issue was a shit show, and among the worst comics I've ever forced myself to read. I can't even imagine who likes this crap. But people do. It's a top selling comic.

OmegaX

You've already realized this, but you have nobody to blame but yourself. The first issue was a shit show, and among the worst comics I've ever forced myself to read. I can't even imagine who likes this crap. But people do. It's a top selling comic.

Was Harley Quinn before Rebirth any good? I was interested in reading it or Suicide Squad.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
So I haven't really picked up anything new in the past month and a half. Just sticking with Batman, Green Arrow and Flash. OH, and Titans, whenever that comes out.

Am I missing anything else in the rebirth stories yet? I heard Detective was awesome, and I just picked up All Star Batman since I think that's just once a month. But yeah, do you guys really recommend anything else yet as something that is a must-read? I was gonna dive into Supes but I didn't really mess with New52, so I don't know how far I'd be behind on that.

So I haven't really picked up anything new in the past month and a half. Just sticking with Batman, Green Arrow and Flash. OH, and Titans, whenever that comes out.

Am I missing anything else in the rebirth stories yet? I heard Detective was awesome, and I just picked up All Star Batman since I think that's just once a month. But yeah, do you guys really recommend anything else yet as something that is a must-read? I was gonna dive into Supes but I didn't really mess with New52, so I don't know how far I'd be behind on that.

Tec is awesome for sure, but most everything else is either too early or too inconsistent to really tell right now. Superman started out great but kind of went down hill the last couple issues. New Super-Man, Superwoman, Supergirl, Suicide Squad and Red Hood all had pretty good starts but nothing outright amazing and still too few of issues to really recommend.

I say you're good with what you got right now with maybe picking up Detective.

Ross61

Tec is awesome for sure, but most everything else is either too early or too inconsistent to really tell right now. Superman started out great but kind of went down hill the last couple issues. New Super-Man, Superwoman, Supergirl, Suicide Squad and Red Hood all had pretty good starts but nothing outright amazing and still too few of issues to really recommend.

I say you're good with what you got right now with maybe picking up Detective.
I'm surprised you think Superman went down hill. I've been loving it, especially the last issue. Only some minor art complaints.

I'm surprised you think Superman went down hill. I've been loving it, especially the last issue. Only some minor art complaints.

It's just felt kind of tedious and I come off every issue hating Lois even more. I'm still enjoying it, I just think the first couple issues where it was more focused on Father Supes was a lot better than the last couple just dealing with Eradicator.

Ross61

It's just felt kind of tedious and I come off every issue hating Lois even more. I'm still enjoying it, I just think the first couple issues where it was more focused on Father Supes was a lot better than the last couple just dealing with Eradicator.
Why do you hate Louis if you don't mind me asking?

Why do you hate Louis if you don't mind me asking?

Ok so the Lois hate is mostly coming from Action Comics in the fact that she's a horrible parent and letting Jon possibly watch his dad die where even Wonder Woman says "Do you think he should be watching this?". It was basically every issue having her worry about Clark but not caring at all that her son may be actually seeing him dying meanwhile ignoring the truth every time he asks.

But the last couple issues it's almost started seeping into Superman. She just kind of seems like she is nagging Clark to do something and then when he does something she's complaining and telling him to be a tour guide while also telling Jon to stop talking from doing almost exactly that.

It's all just kind of nitpicky and the mixing of two books but overall I just haven't thought she's been written very well at all in either book. But she does kind of redeem some points at the end of the last issue after jumping in that suit.

Sagroth

Green Lanterns is pretty damn bad. I may go back to it just to see what the Phantom Ring does, but I won't be sticking around long term.

Ok so the Lois hate is mostly coming from Action Comics in the fact that she's a horrible parent and letting Jon possibly watch his dad die where even Wonder Woman says "Do you think he should be watching this?". It was basically every issue having her worry about Clark but not caring at all that her son may be actually seeing him dying meanwhile ignoring the truth every time he asks.

But the last couple issues it's almost started seeping into Superman. She just kind of seems like she is nagging Clark to do something and then when he does something she's complaining and telling him to be a tour guide while also telling Jon to stop talking from doing almost exactly that.

It's all just kind of nitpicky and the mixing of two books but overall I just haven't thought she's been written very well at all in either book. But she does kind of redeem some points at the end of the last issue after jumping in that suit.

Sounds like your complaint is that Action Comics is terrible. Which it is. It's the most decompressed of all this Rebirth bimonthly madness, to the point that I can summarize every issue so far with a single sentence.

Lois takes matters into her own hands in this last Supes issue. But sure, she's not great. Superman is decent, but I feel like most of us are overselling it simply because it's way better than what came before.

I don't understand what possessed them to create another two Green Lanterns when there are already so many of them. Did the Nu52 books just not sell that well?

Sounds like your complaint is that Action Comics is terrible. Which it is. It's the most decompressed of all this Rebirth bimonthly madness, to the point that I can summarize every issue so far with a single sentence.

Lois takes matters into her own hands in this last Supes issue. But sure, she's not great. Superman is decent, but I feel like most of us are overselling it simply because it's way better than what came before.

I swear this is the last issue I give a chance. That damn cliffhanger better lead to something.

Just realised Harley Quinn 2 came out last week. Still utterly insane. But flipping back to her 2013 series that seems completely in line. I don't think I'm going to keep this one on my pull list but I'll give it the arc.

Pendas

Banned
I don't understand what possessed them to create another two Green Lanterns when there are already so many of them. Did the Nu52 books just not sell that well?

According to the lost Oa, there's a reason Earth has two new Green Lanterns, we just don't know what it is yet... and I'm not sticking around to find out.

Hal Jordan is pretty good. Reading that for my Green Lantern fix.

we get it

I want to say I'm shocked they did this shit again.. but I'm really not.

I just read Aquaman #5. That was really dumb. Has Dan Abnett not seen Justice League Or JLU? Do you don't
authorize deadly force on a league member
and expect to come out on top. You will lose that battle. No POTUS or Chief of Staff would make a call that stupid. And why exactly is
post-crisis Supes suddenly answering to the POTUS?
Between this and Titans, I have not been impressed with any of Abnett's contributions to Rebirth so far.

Sandfox

I just read Aquaman #5. That was really dumb. Has Dan Abnett not seen Justice League Or JLU? Do you don't
and expect to come out on top. You will lose that battle. No POTUS or Chief of Staff would make a call that stupid. And why exactly is
Between this and Titans, I have not been impressed with any of Abnett's contributions to Rebirth so far.

Abnett is meh without Lanning(though I personally don't care for him either way) and they aren't getting back together anytime soon.

Let's see

Batgirl: Babs joins the
inexplicably bad at combat club
. At least Raptor's a costume,
Bab's is having a hard time with MMA practioners.
Otherwise still pretty good.

Deathstroke: This is surprisingly good.

Tec: Continues to be good. Interesting ending.
Please don't bite it Tim.

Blue Beetle Rebirth: I think I missed something. This is way to in media res for a Rebirth issue. Was there a special or something ?

Titans: Stuff is actually happening. Thank feck.
The twist was pretty telegraphed but not bad.

Not Rebirth but still on my pull:
Teen Titans: Another 1 shot. Themes are very repetitive of last few issues. Wonder if there was supposed to be a big arc or two that got shelved for Rebirth. Still a solid issue in its own context, if you don't like Bats punching at superweight though you might want to avoid though.

aly

Deathstroke: Still good. Seriously guys check out Deathstroke.

Detective comics 939: I'm kinda over this arc already. Like it's not bad but it feels like just stuff happening and I can't be bothered to care. The flashback was nice but Tims leet hacking and plan is so dumb.
Him dying like this would also be dumb and I doubt it will be as good or interesting as the other Robin deaths we've had. He is my only reason for reading Tec too

Ross61

Is it weird for Superman to aid the President?

Blue Beetle is here, and it is goooood. Basically feels exactly like the '06 run, though obviously some stuff is different (Ted has a very different mentoring style to Peacekeeper, for one) but it's got Paco and Brenda bickering and the Reyes family acting like a family and La Dama is back so I'm happy. Looks like Giffen is ignoring the bits of N52 canon he doesn't like, so I'm happy on that front. Only real complaint is that the issue doesn't spend any effort at all to lay down the status quo; it's nothing like its solicit. Very strange. But Giffen is writing well again, so I don't mind.

Crossposted from Comicsgaf. The '06 Beetle is back, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom