• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one cares about reviews, the books sales in both single issue and trade speak for itself. Hell just by looking at the average non comic reading especially women loves Harley.

There's a reason why she has a whole section separate from the regular DC items.

Who are your responding to here? I've been calling Harley DC's third pillar over Wonder Woman since the Rebirth announcement. I fully understand she moves books.

I also understand that sales tell us jack shit about the quality of a book. We live in a world where Harley sells 400K issues and Vision barely moves 20K. Which of those books will we be talking about in five years?

kmfdmpig

Who are your responding to here? I've been calling Harley DC's third pillar over Wonder Woman since the Rebirth announcement. I fully understand she moves books.

I also understand that sales tell us jack shit about the quality of a book. We live in a world where Harley sells 400K issues and Vision barely moves 20K. Which of those books will we be talking about in five years?

I agree. I hadn't read a Harley solo book prior to Rebirth, and figured Rebirth would be a good time to see if it was for me. I had assumed it would be as I'm a fan of lighthearted solo female books (pre Nu52 Power Girl and Pre Nu52 Zatanna being two great examples of books like that which I thought were great). I was shocked at how bad Harley Quinn 1 was. Just random nonsense that I assume was meant to be funny, but was not. Just weird/silly nonsense for no reason. It's a shame as I'm a fan of both Conner and Palmiotti, but not enough of one to keep reading the shit show they're orchestrating now.

It does sell well, much like how Transformers movies do great business even though almost no one thinks they're good.

MartyStu

Ugh. You just gave me a nightmarish thought that I do not want to vocalize.

MartyStu

Share, you're among friends. In Harley we trust!

Harley Quinn in the Justice League.

Not as a gag, but as a legit push by DC. Even worse, Diana is taken out of play for a period of time and Harley somehow becomes the the third leg of the trinity in all but name.

The mere thought sends shivers up my spine, but I can definitely see some variation of this being possible.

TheFlow

Banned
Superman #4
this was some good shit, but I was hoping Jon would rekt.

Superman #5

Bruh! Batman showing everyone he is still the best
He got a batcave on the fucking Moon!

One of the best things about this issue was
Lois in the hellbat, and an inside view of the suit

the art is great in both issues

5/5 can't believe we got one more issue before this arc ends

Batman #4

I know a bunch of yah had issues with this one, but I liked it. Gotham is no batman or superman.

4/5

Batman #5

solid issue that kinda left me confused as it tried to explain Gotham's power and such.
so I guess Gotham girl and Duke get married in the far future?

4/5

2 more weeks before the conclusion.

Going back and reading the first arc of Action Comics in a full chunk really moved it up in my eyes. It was still a little slow and really offered no answers, but it really all came together pretty well for me with the last issue.

Reading it all together made the Oz stuff during each issue less dumb. You can really see that this was his plan the whole time but not really seeing what he actually meant until the end. Stuff like him saying that Superman needs to think to solve this problem. He means he needs to remember the phantom zone gun. Or how he's watching Lois and Jon watch Superman on the TV he mentions it's starting to come together, I think it's meaning he knows John is going to scream leading to Doomsday leaving Metropolis. Because up to that point it seemed like Superman was perfectly fine just fighting to his death all over again. But Doomsday going after Jon changes the situation and probably changes how Superman thinks about the situation. Even up to the point of Oz sending his troops in the last issue it seems like it was put in place just to remind Superman of his Phantom Zone gun-thing.

It's not all handled amazingly and I still wouldn't call this a great book because of how much it dragged, but the last issue followed by a re-read really put it in a different perspective for me.

Ross61

Going back and reading the first arc of Action Comics in a full chunk really moved it up in my eyes. It was still a little slow and really offered no answers, but it really all came together pretty well for me with the last issue.

Reading it all together made the Oz stuff during each issue less dumb. You can really see that this was his plan the whole time but not really seeing what he actually meant until the end. Stuff like him saying that Superman needs to think to solve this problem. He means he needs to remember the phantom zone gun. Or how he's watching Lois and Jon watch Superman on the TV he mentions it's starting to come together, I think it's meaning he knows John is going to scream leading to Doomsday leaving Metropolis. Because up to that point it seemed like Superman was perfectly fine just fighting to his death all over again. But Doomsday going after Jon changes the situation and probably changes how Superman thinks about the situation. Even up to the point of Oz sending his troops in the last issue it seems like it was put in place just to remind Superman of his Phantom Zone gun-thing.

It's not all handled amazingly and I still wouldn't call this a great book because of how much it dragged, but the last issue followed by a re-read really put it in a different perspective for me.
Quite a few of these will read better in trade and I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing...

Quite a few of these will read better in trade and I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing...

They may run together better in trade and be less frustrating but some of these are still not going to be good stories. I'm really not a fan of this many books doing the whole mini arc leading to a big overall arc. At first it seemed like Batman was just doing that but with Action and Flash it just doesn't seem to work near as well.

Cross-posting from the community thread.

Are issues 26 through 36 of Blue Beetle (2006) worth reading? I didn't realise that Rogers left the book after issue 25. From what I can see, there is a rotating creative team on the book for the final ten issues as well.

I have the first 25 issues in my cart and I'm circling the last 10.

Realeza

Banned
I'm looking to get into one of these rebirth story arcs. Which is the best of the following: Flash, Wonder Woman or Green Arrow? Or which is the best overall, specially for a newcomer.

I'm looking to get into one of these rebirth story arcs. Which is the best of the following: Flash, Wonder Woman or Green Arrow? Or which is the best overall, specially for a newcomer.

Definitely not Flash, it's been pretty boring and going nowhere.

I'd say Wonder Woman is seeming like the best the farther it goes, but it's probably not the best for a newcomer. Green Arrow has been great and not too hard to get in to.

i've only read wonder woman, batman, superman and a few of the flash ones but so far wonder woman is killing it imo. year one arc especially (good introduction to newcomers as it goes through an origin story)

kmfdmpig

i've only read wonder woman, batman, superman and a few of the flash ones but so far wonder woman is killing it imo. year one arc especially (good introduction to newcomers as it goes through an origin story)

If you like Batman I strongly recommend Detective Comics. It's right there with Green Arrow as my favorite Rebirth title.

Blader

I would probably be liking the Year One arc in WW a lot more if I hadn't just read Wonder Woman: Earth One this summer too.

Ross61

I truly love all three. Though the most praise seemingly goes to GA.

Ross61

I don't think the general populace of comic book people are confused as more people are reading Wonder Woman Rebirth than Legend of Wonder Woman.

So are there any good Harley comics? Apparently, the newer one is not that good.
Also, think about getting more comics. Anyone have an recommendations? I pretty much like all the DC characters and if I don't I'm willing to give them a chance.

kmfdmpig

So are there any good Harley comics? Apparently, the newer one is not that good.
Also, think about getting more comics. Anyone have an recommendations? I pretty much like all the DC characters and if I don't I'm willing to give them a chance.

For Rebirth I'd go with:
Green Arrow
Detective Comics - Batwoman and Batman's sidekicks working together
and New Super-Man - A fun take on a teenage superhero in China

For Harley the best bet is to go with one of the classics like Mad Love.

For Rebirth I'd go with:
Green Arrow
Detective Comics - Batwoman and Batman's sidekicks working together
and New Super-Man - A fun take on a teenage superhero in China

For Harley the best bet is to go with one of the classics like Mad Love.

Thank you! Think I might also pick up Wonder Woman.

kmfdmpig

Thank you! Think I might also pick up Wonder Woman.

Wonder Woman is good. If you're looking to get into characters then the Earth One graphic novels might be an interesting option. Grant Morrison recently released one for Wonder Woman which was good. There were a few for Superman, Batman and Teen Titans as well.

Nothing out today ?

Mostly annuals like Earth 2: Society and Gotham Academy or special issues like Suicide Squad: War Crimes by the original Suicide Squad writer(which I think counts as part of Rebirth)or Future Quest.

It's a fifth week of the month and DC built their current Rebirth release schedule around 4 week months and don't have as many books out as Marvel currently so the week is fairly empty.

On the other hand a bunch of trades are out this week like The Omega Men which has already apparently been sold out in stores around the world.

jph139

I'm curious how the Suicide Squad one-shot that's out this week is... it'll be interesting to see Ostrander writing with the modern team.

Penguin

DC seems to be sharing some Rebirth stats on ze Twitter

11 comics have sold over 200k

They shipped more than 12 million comics this summer

CrNxZu5WcAAzFkt.jpg

CrNxv1MWYAAmpVy.jpg

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I couldn't follow the story in Deathstroke #1 at all.

No idea if it's because I'm tired or what, but it felt so disjointed.

aly

So uh that cover and solicit for Detective Comics 940:
Tim is dead isn't he? I knew rebirth was too good to last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom