• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonogunn

Zip. Zero. Nada. The DC Rebirth #1.

It's tangentially touched on in Detective Comics with
Oz
and a couple of others, but nothing is specifically addressing Dr. Manhattan. I believe Titans is supposed to be the book that carries that torch, but it's only disjointed references to "being watched" and having years stolen.

This won't be addressed until some Johns event in the undisclosed future. Hell, Batman knows there are three Jokers running around Gotham and has chosen to ignore that as the world's greatest Detective. The whole thing was a Johns cocktease that has affected nothing in Rebirth. Some relationships are back, Wally is back, that's it.

Thanks for the info. That sucks. I was quite interested in that whole plot

Anyone else read Justice League #5 today and think it was Manhattan related, or just me? I think the whole arc was just insanely vague and is something we're suppose to go back to later and go "oh shit".

The Forever Crisis sounds like it could be the next big event.

Anyone else read Justice League #5 today and think it was Manhattan related, or just me? I think the whole arc was just insanely vague and is something we're suppose to go back to later and go "oh shit".

The Forever Crisis sounds like it could be the next big event.

You might be the only person in the thread who's still reading Justice League period.

I dropped it after the Rebirth issue.

You might be the only person in the thread who's still reading Justice League period.

I dropped it after the Rebirth issue.

It's a combination of wanting to give it a chance and being too lazy to take it off my subscribe list.

Some of the problems people have with Justice League are similar to what i have with the main Batman series right now, although at least Tom King's work is a bit more coherent.

Yeah, Justice League was two painful issues and a drop. I can't imagine how DC is pushing the Justice League vs Suicide Squad crossover. With the current event, I was already reading all three books since they're quality. I'm not picking up two bad ones to "follow" the next one.

Yeah, Justice League was two painful issues and a drop. I can't imagine how DC is pushing the Justice League vs Suicide Squad crossover. With the current event, I was already reading all three books since they're quality. I'm not picking up two bad ones to "follow" the next one.

I'm glad I'm not alone. It was two issues and out for me. It's weird to think the sales are still doing good because I'd like someone new on JL.

I'm glad I'm not alone. It was two issues and out for me. It's weird to think the sales are still doing good because I'd like someone new on JL.

I was hanging on to the end of the arc in hopes for improvements / comprehensibility. I was disappointed. Going to drop my sub. I doubt I'm alone.

I skipped the JL Rebirth issue because the art looked sloppy as hell and dropped the main book after two issues. It was so bad I couldn't believe it and has nothing going for it not interesting plot or characters, good dialogue, or good art (Tony Daniel's stuff looking pretty sloppy too).

The Light

Latest batman was the perfect opportunity to have Duke do something outside the cave. Even better opportunity to have him bring in his robin crew as support.

Latest batman was the perfect opportunity to have Duke do something outside the cave. Even better opportunity to have him bring in his robin crew as support.

I read it somewhere explained that everyone is probably afraid to use him too much not knowing what Snyder is planning to do with him. It's his character and he seems to be around because of him so everyone is probably keeping him around because they have to but not sure what to actually do with him.

I read it somewhere explained that everyone is probably afraid to use him too much not knowing what Snyder is planning to do with him. It's his character and he seems to be around because of him so everyone is probably keeping him around because they have to but not sure what to actually do with him.

Yeah. Snyder is doing a back up series focused on him in All-Star Batman which is probably why no one else is willing to do much.

Yup. It's in the running for worst Rebirth book along with Harley Quinn.

I'm pretty sure Harley Quinn is at least supposed to be a silly hyper violent action comedy, I'm almost positive Justice League isn't supposed to be incomprehensible dreck. So I'd put Justice League lower for that alone.

I'm pretty sure Harley Quinn is at least supposed to be a silly hyper violent action comedy, I'm almost positive Justice League isn't supposed to be incomprehensible dreck. So I'd put Justice League lower for that alone.

Yeah, I'd at least say Harley Quinn is delivering what some people expect of it. Justice League is just horrible. I didn't think it was possible to be worse than JLA. I actually liked his JLA book, it just seemed like a mess and will probably never finish.

Harley has been exactly what it's been since the first issue in the n52 so I have no qualms against it. I've been there since day 1 and I enjoy it.

I feel like Hitches JL is not capturing the characters at all. Like I feel like I'm reading a bunch of college kids doing a film project that you would watch on YT.

Outside of Harley and JL what would people consider the worst Rebirth book?

I think I'd say Aquaman, but it would have been Action if the last couple issues hadn't been better and hooked me into keep grabbing them.

Outside of Harley and JL what would people consider the worst Rebirth book?

I think I'd say Aquaman, but it would have been Action if the last couple issues hadn't been better and hooked me into keep grabbing them.

I think Aquaman has been one of the best books. Abnett has Arthur and Mera down! Abnett does not have a team of characters on Titans down though.

As someone that has stuck to only the Batman solo books, this week's issue made me realize how out of touch I am with the current state of the Batfamily.

iModem

Banned
Trinity was so pretty

First arc of Justice League as an utter bust for me.

It was pretty but honestly some of the page layouts are lacking for Manapul.

And the plot twist at the end is not something I'm interested in and was delivered poorly.

Effect

I really need to catch up on some titles but I finished the first Action Comics arc and the Superman arc (I haven't read #7 yet though) and really enjoyed both. Loved reading Superman though. Two issues a month was needed I feel to keep me engaged and it helps that the story was really good.

I don't dislike Justice League but not sure where it's going. I'm only on issue 3 I think but it's a style of decompression writing I don't like that really annoyed me about when I tried to read comics before. I might finish out the arc but if I were to continue to read this title it would be in trade form. It feels it's being written for that and from what people are saying it's not even going to be a self-contained story but a several arc spanning one. If that's the case then no way will I bother with this in single issues.

I want to try out Supergirl and Superwoman soon but looking for more impressions on that first. Right now I'm sticking with Action Comics, Superman, and Green Arrow (still need to read those issues but what I read so far I really enjoyed).

kmfdmpig

I really need to catch up on some titles but I finished the first Action Comics arc and the Superman arc (I haven't read #7 yet though) and really enjoyed both. Loved reading Superman though. Two issues a month was needed I feel to keep me engaged and it helps that the story was really good.

I don't dislike Justice League but not sure where it's going. I'm only on issue 3 I think but it's a style of decompression writing I don't like that really annoyed me about when I tried to read comics before. I might finish out the arc but if I were to continue to read this title it would be in trade form. It feels it's being written for that and from what people are saying it's not even going to be a self-contained story but a several arc spanning one. If that's the case then no way will I bother with this in single issues.

I want to try out Supergirl and Superwoman soon but looking for more impressions on that first. Right now I'm sticking with Action Comics, Superman, and Green Arrow (still need to read those issues but what I read so far I really enjoyed).

Supergirl and Superwoman are both solid. New Super-Man is good if you like quirky/fun comics.

I haven't read the latest issue of Justice League yet but I'm mostly on board with Bryan Hitch as a writer so far. The problem is that DC shouldn't have given their (potentially) biggest book to a rookie writer. His Justice League of America book is interesting and has delivered on the large scale action. He comes up with a lot of great concepts that remind me of Morrison's run but he's clearly struggling to put these ideas on the page.

Still, the JLA moment where the villain realized Superman was moving his planet-size spaceship while being chained to it was incredibly bad-ass. Hitch just needs a co-writer. Someone should call Warren Ellis or Morrison.

If you've ever read Jimenez's Wonder Woman, Superwoman is very similar to that. No decompression here, it's very wordy, perhaps a bit too much. But the art is great and it's enjoyable so far. But I would say that Supergirl is the better book. It's exactly what I want from Supergirl: fun and ligthearted with some really nice and colorful art. Not one of the better Rebirth titles but worth a try.

Aquaman is the shit it just needs better art.

And I'm only a few pages into Green Arrow and this dude is fighting angry loggers. This random logger is fucking cutting his arrows in half with a chainsaw LOL

jph139

Not really feeling the Monster Men crossover so far. Feels like there's a lot more sizzle than steak - but I guess that's not super surprising? It's paced pretty well at least, definitely feel like the plot is moving at a steady pace, so that's good at least.

Realeza

Banned
I got the new Kindle Fire 8 HD, and gotta say, the comics look awesome, specially for the incredibly cheap price of the tablet. So far I have tried Green Arrow and love it. What other Rebirth arc should I start? I'm eyeing Wonder Woman because the art seems to be gorgeous.

I got the new Kindle Fire 8 HD, and gotta say, the comics look awesome, specially for the incredibly cheap price of the tablet. So far I have tried Green Arrow and love it. What other Rebirth arc should I start? I'm eyeing Wonder Woman because the art seems to be gorgeous.

Superman & Wonder Woman have been absolute tours de force. Can't really go wrong with either of those. The latter admittedly more than the former, I'm letting my sky-high enthusiasm for the latest issue color how I think about the rest of the run.

Realeza

Banned
Superman & Wonder Woman have been absolute tours de force. Can't really go wrong with either of those. The latter admittedly more than the former, I'm letting my sky-high enthusiasm for the latest issue color how I think about the rest of the run.

Damn that's making my choice really easy haha.

aly

Eh not really after what happened in Tec. Also I hate those kids and Duke seems more like a Snyder character anyway.

I started reading comics at the beginning of Rebirth. All previous knowledge was based of of animated series and movies. To me the best books so far have been Red Hood, Detective Comics, WonderWoman, and Suicide Squad.

The last few Flash books have really picked up for those that thought it was slow.
Godspeed reveal was pretty dope. I really didn't see it coming.

How do you guys judge a book? What's is the most important factor? Story/art.

Blader

I quite liked Trinity.

Priest is making it really hard to like Deathstroke. I like the dialogue, the art is great, but the plot is so unnecessarily hard to follow.

GeeTeeCee

I quite liked Trinity.

Priest is making it really hard to like Deathstroke. I like the dialogue, the art is great, but the plot is so unnecessarily hard to follow.

I think I might be the only person who loves how convoluted the plot of Deathstroke is. It's the Metal Gear comic I've always wanted.

Proc

Loved the art in batman #7 but I think I've hit my breaking point with King's run. "Then there's no better time to take it to school," had me shaking my head.

I've been hot and cold on Batman Rebirth. I just haven't been feeling it the same way as I enjoyed Morrison and Snyder.

I've had a lot of fun with All-star Batman. Many smiles throughout and will continue.

Loved the art in batman #7 but I think I've hit my breaking point with King's run. "Then there's no better time to take it to school," had me shaking my head.

I've been hot and cold on Batman Rebirth. I just haven't been feeling it the same way as I enjoyed Morrison and Snyder.

I've had a lot of fun with All-star Batman. Many smiles throughout and will continue.

King didn't script Batman #7 though. Steve Orlando did.

I think for the most part Kings Batman run has been a load of shit. But I will say the first issue involving the plane was hella good and also I liked how he did a riff of that popular page off of Grant Morrisons all star superman comic

Otherwise it really sucked. Like in theory a story about idealized heroes who thought they could make a difference in Gotham but are broken down by the city is a good plot (done far better in TDK tho). Especially to contrast with Batman. But it was kinda bad I thought.

Hoping his next arc is good. It sounds like it could be cool.

I think for the most part Kings Batman run has been a load of shit. But I will say the first issue involving the plane was hella good and also I liked how he did a riff of that popular page off of Grant Morrisons all star superman comic

That's the one silver lining for me. Everything else has been bad to mediocre since.

Ross61

6 issues into Snyder's Batman run and I wasn't terribly impressed, even though I love his run. But I have been enjoying his run, and I actually like the dialogue.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I really hope Justice League improves.

I think that Deathstroke is actually the best Rebirth book. I feel like its one of those runs people will be talking about and praising hard in a decade or two.

I dropped it after issue 2. The story is all over the place, I can't see it being praised in the future. Could be wrong, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom