• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hieberrr

Started reading Detective Comics. It's my first exposure to it and so far, it seems pretty good, The pacing is a bit slow on a per issue basis, but otherwise it's interesting.

What confuses me right now is how there is a "DC Universe Rebirth - Batman #1" and a "Batman Rebirth #1"

Ross61

Started reading Detective Comics. It's my first exposure to it and so far, it seems pretty good, The pacing is a bit slow on a per issue basis, but otherwise it's interesting.

What confuses me right now is how there is a "DC Universe Rebirth - Batman #1" and a "Batman Rebirth #1"

The "Batman Rebirth #1" is the one shot that bridges the New 52 to Rebirth. DC Universe Rebirth Batman #1 is the ongoing that follows afterwords. Some one-shots are optional, but I suggest to get both is your're interested.

Hieberrr

The "Batman Rebirth #1" is the one shot that bridges the New 52 to Rebirth. DC Universe Rebirth Batman #1 is the ongoing that follows afterwords. Some one-shots are optional, but I suggest to get both is your're interested.
Thanks, that makes sense now. Talk about confusing naming conventions.

I just finished Detective Comics #940... I'm not quite sure what to think about the ending, but it truly blindsided me. DC Rebirth is travelling down a mysterious road. I look forward to seeing where it goes.

Just read Tec 940. Super emotional book, especially
Tim's last conversations with Steph and Batman. I'm relieved he didn't die, and it's awesome he gets to be a major player in the overarching Rebirth story, I just hope he's not MIA for too long. If he's gone for a year I'll be pretty bummed about it
. Guess I'll just catch up on some Pre-Flashpoint Tim stuff I haven't read for now :)

aly

Just read Tec 940. Super emotional book, especially
Tim's last conversations with Steph and Batman. I'm relieved he didn't die, and it's awesome he gets to be a major player in the overarching Rebirth story, I just hope he's not MIA for too long. If he's gone for a year I'll be pretty bummed about it
. Guess I'll just catch up on some Pre-Flashpoint Tim stuff I haven't read for now :)

Thats what I'm worried about. Kinda don't care about Tec without Tim, so I hope he isn't gone too much.

I can't believe that Red Hood is still good. Birds of Prey and Green Lanterns was also another improvement this week.

Thats what I'm worried about. Kinda don't care about Tec without Tim, so I hope he isn't gone too much.

I can't believe that Red Hood is still good. Birds of Prey and Green Lanterns was also another improvement this week.

I have the same issue. I probably won't
pick up Tec until he's back. I can't wait for the reunion between him and the Batfamily though, and to see what happens next with him. Hopefully he ends up getting a solo again after all of this :)

tim1138

I'm extremely disappointed in myself for not making the Blue Condor connection to
Black Condor of the Freedom Fighters
in the first issue of New Super-Man.

Superwoman 2 was eh. I think Lois was a better protagonist. I liked the first issue a lot but with her gone this book has no energy. I may give it one more issue.

New Superman 3 was great. I wanna see more stupid antics from Kenan.

Green Lanterns was dope too. The dialogue is so cheesy but Baz and Jessica are great. Lol at her pulling a construct out of her ass.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Detective Comics 940 was fucking phenomenal. Pointless reading anything else today, that won't be beat for me.

Man, I dropped Detective Comics two issues ago, maybe that was a mistake. It's not that I hated it but I thought it was just ok and with so many great Rebirth books, I decided to drop it. I never liked the Bat family being so big. Nightwing, Robin and Oracle are all I need.

Anyway, Hal Jordan, Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad were all great. The latter is a very pleasant surprise considering how much I hated the movie (which the book is clearly trying to invoke) as well as the Harley Quinn solo series. I'll read Deathstroke and Action tomorrow but DC is really doing great despite a couple of misfires. And that Young Animal stuff looks fantastic too.

This week's haul:

Justice League: An arc done. Still completely incomprehensible. So not even written for the trade. I can't believe how bad this has been allowed to be given its usually the flagship Cross promotion book.

Going to treat Night of the Monster Men like it's own Mini since it's written like one rather than the individual books focusing on their title characters that's more the way crossovers work so #1 and #2:
This is actually good. The series approach means it's much more coherent than has been the case lately. Pacing is good.

Trinity: Interesting. Bit slow paced, seems almost like a Rebirth issue. Seems well written though. Will keep following this.

TheFlow

Banned
Buckled down today and caught up with Batman and nightwing so I could read monster men.

Nightwing #2 Raptor is a dick.
NTW_Cv2_57326865387b69.18795802.jpg

Nightwing #3 Barbara was dickish but she is right. Dick seems to be so lost on how to surpass Batman and become his own. Like this book is hard to read as a Nightwing fan. He is kinda be jobbed by everyone he talks to .

So far I would give nightwing a 3/5 with the art being the highlight.

Nightwing #4 Better than Batman Conclusion

fuckkk this issue sucked because not only did Dick get played we found out that Batman and Batgirl were right. sigh. My boy nightwing needs a win.

Art was solid like always and the giant owl fight <3 was awesome.

4/5 for this issue but overall the series is a 3/5
. Best way to redeem Dick is for him to fuck up Raptor. I am talking Redhood vs joker fucked up.

Batman #7 Monster Men Part 1

wtf how is this issue the best thing out of Tom kings batman and why is the art better than Green Arrow. I am so confused. This crossover is fucking epic so far.

There are two pages that gave me goosebumps. Also that one page of strange will definitely be talked about here because it is soooo wtf.
dude is butt as naked lifting weights.

5/5 Warning don't read this unless you are caught up with the other two books or don't mind being spoiled.

but srs who ever drew and filled in the colors deserve a fucking award.

Nightwing #5 Monster Men Part 2.

Wow DC and the writers are not holding back on this crossover. it is fucking amazing. Like everything that has been happening in all 3 books has been leading to this moment. Everyone has a reason and a purpose for what they are doing. Nothing feels half assed, no silly plotholes, and no dumb calls so far.

Only 2 parts so far but this is easily the highlight of Rebirth for me. This is coming from a guy who avoids crossovers and events like the plagues.

5/5 Batfamily fans will be in love with these two issues. can't wait for part 3 next week.

Another thing to take note is how great the dialog is between everyone. top notch

As much as I love my BatBooks, Superman #7 was my highlight this week.

Superman #7 was literally perfect. I would be entirely comfortable with that setting the exact tone and format for the entire run. Let Action be the, well, Action comics, with the punching and the heat vision and whatnot. Superman as a "Kent family slice of life" title would be a dream.

GeeTeeCee

I'm a little annoyed that over September and October I'm going to have to buy 4 issues of a couple of series I'm not presently reading (Nightwing, Detective Comic), just so the issues of the series I am reading still makes sense (Batman).

Why couldn't this Night of the Monsters thing work like Death of the Family/Night of the Owls, where one comic tells the ongoing story, and the rest just have one-off storylines focusing on that book's cast?

I'm a little annoyed that over September and October I'm going to have to buy 4 issues of a couple of series I'm not presently reading (Nightwing, Detective Comic), just so the issues of the series I am reading still makes sense (Batman).

Why couldn't this Night of the Monsters thing work like Death of the Family/Night of the Owls, where one comic tells the ongoing story, and the rest just have one-off storylines focusing on that book's cast?

It's the universe's way of telling you to read Detective Comics.

Blader

Tomasi's Superman might be my highlight of DC Rebirth so far. Consistently well written (in terms of dialogue at least; the whole Eradicator/souls thing was a bit ropey) and looks amazing.

also, I'm just skipping over this Night of the Monsters crossover. I thought the Nightwing Rebirth issue was pretty bad, and I'm not reading Detective (I know everyone loves it, but I just don't really care about the Batfamily).

TheFlow

Banned

Batman is not even the best bat book

MartyStu

Red Hood #2

This issue relied too much on what I think is Loebdel's greatest weakness: dialog. Still, I enjoyed the issue. I think the minute the art starts to dip this book will be on deathwatch for me.

Monster Men

You suckas better not be sleeping on the Monster Men. Fantastic arc thus far.

This is how crossovers should be done.

TheFlow

Banned
Red Hood #2

This issue relied too much on what I think is Loebdel's greatest weakness: dialog. Still, I enjoyed the issue. I think the minute the art starts to dip this book will be on deathwatch for me.

Monster Men

You suckas better not be sleeping on the Monster Men. Fantastic arc thus far.

This is how crossovers should be done.

Monster men gave me life

aly

What a great week for comfy stories. Trinity, Superdad, and Green Lantern were all good. Night of Monster Men is also off to a fantastic start in both Batman and Nightwing. How is it all so good?

tim1138

Picked up Raven on a lark, and it was aight. Wolfman still has some writing chops, and I dug the art. I'll probably read the whole thing since it's just a six issue mini.

I'm still digging Green Lanterns. I know liking Humphries is like some mortal sin or something, but he's doing a good job here and I legitimately laughed out loud at Jess calling herself a garbage person.

What do I need to read to follow the whole rebirth + dr manhattan stuff? I've only read some of the rebirth issues

Zip. Zero. Nada. The DC Rebirth #1.

It's tangentially touched on in Detective Comics with
Oz
and a couple of others, but nothing is specifically addressing Dr. Manhattan. I believe Titans is supposed to be the book that carries that torch, but it's only disjointed references to "being watched" and having years stolen.

This won't be addressed until some Johns event in the undisclosed future. Hell, Batman knows there are three Jokers running around Gotham and has chosen to ignore that as the world's greatest Detective. The whole thing was a Johns cocktease that has affected nothing in Rebirth. Some relationships are back, Wally is back, that's it.

Picked up Raven on a lark, and it was aight. Wolfman still has some writing chops, and I dug the art. I'll probably read the whole thing since it's just a six issue mini.

I'm still digging Green Lanterns. I know liking Humphries is like some mortal sin or something, but he's doing a good job here and I legitimately laughed out loud at Jess calling herself a garbage person.

Yeah I really enjoyed Green Lanterns. And also Cyborg was good.

Afrodium

Banned
I thought Monster Men was going to be dumb since it was announced but it's seriously great. Pick it up! DC really needs to put Rosso on a book. I loved his art in the Batman issue at the end of Snyder's run and Monster Men #1 looks stunning.

Also don't worry about not reading other Bat books. If the Nightwing issue is anything to go by then the crossover books will read as logical continuations of the Monster Men story and not as issues of each book where the plot involves the monster men.

Cyborg is shaping up to a be a clunky superhero book, but a pretty solid character study. Which is a weird thing to say, but the two elements seem starkly divided. There's the stuff about Cyborg rediscovering and reaffirming his humanity, and the action plot, which is pretty poorly done. On the balance, I like it; the pluses outweigh the minuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom