• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Anival

Banned
Has anyone given a good analysis between Dead Space 3 on the 360 and PS3? I was curious if they found any screen tearing or frame rate issues regarding the two consoles or if they both run as smooth as silk.

I've been playing on ps3 for a while but the ps3 version is really smooth and I haven't seen the game get choppy. Also when you die it takes like a second to load. Im really surprised at this.

Has anyone given a good analysis between Dead Space 3 on the 360 and PS3? I was curious if they found any screen tearing or frame rate issues regarding the two consoles or if they both run as smooth as silk.

I've been playing on ps3 for a while but the ps3 version is really smooth and I haven't seen the game get choppy. Also when you die it takes like a second to load. Im really surprised at this.

All the DS games have been beautifully optimized on PS3 and 360.

The more I think about, the more I love Visceral. One of my favorite developers this generation. I even really loved Dante's Inferno.

Edit: Whoa, what's up with the quoting on GAF? Says Anival when I quoted you, NotTheGuyYouKill.

Are you sure about that? How do we know your perception hasn't been tweaked...

ds2-markerdukgk.jpg

Actually, that's pretty damned weird.

Edit: It's cause the
tag was used twice at the start and it started a horrifying cycle.

nel e nel

Dead Space is already equal parts Alien, Event Horizon, and The Thing, except the quality of writing which is closer to a movie like Creature.

Oh snap dude! I was just thinking about all the schlocky Alien rip-off films that the Visceral team must have watched when they started brainstorming this franchise way back when and that was one of them.

Also: Dark Side of the Moon.

Honorable Mentions: Deep Star Six and Leviathan

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I did actually. While it has been a few years, I'm confident that the backtracking and level design wasn't nearly as bad as it is in this game. I'm also mildly amused by the implication that lousy game design in earlier iterations somehow makes it acceptable here.

It's pretty much the same. In fact, I think the first had way more backtracking. I remember passing by the same places in the Ishimura a few times.

Never bothered me with Metroid either.

Man... underwater segement would be awesome! Just thinking about it, made me excited! Would be cool to see a future dead space have something like this :D

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I've got $37 dollars in GameStop credit and kind of want that Art of Dead Space book but they don't sell it and they don't have Amazon gift cards. Anyone know what gift cards GameStop sells, like maybe a Wal-Greens gift card and then I can use that at Wal-Greens to buy an Amazon gifty card? lol.

Darkmakaimura

Oh snap dude! I was just thinking about all the schlocky Alien rip-off films that the Visceral team must have watched when they started brainstorming this franchise way back when and that was one of them.

Also: Dark Side of the Moon.

Honorable Mentions: Deep Star Six and Leviathan
Does anyone remember this terrible movie called Super Nova? If I remember, it had to do with an alien artifact that was found that would trigger a.... well.... Super Nova. It made one of the crew on the ship go crazy too. Despite being a terrible movie, there was one kind of cool premise where the ship used a kind of hyperspace to travel long distances. The catch was you had to go into a kind of suspended animation during the "jump" because this alternate dimension can deform people.

Grisby

Gah, one more circuit to find in chapter 4. Been looking all over.
The Ellie/Isaac relationship angle is so horrible it makes me react with audible swear words and actual face palms
It's pretty shit ya. Which sucks because I thought it was handled decently in 2.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Gah, one more circuit to find in chapter 4. Been looking all over.

It's pretty shit ya. Which sucks because I thought it was handled decently in 2.

I don't see whats so bad about it? Idk maybe I'm not as perceptive as you all or maybe I'm not so much a critic but I thought it was handled fairly well. Nothing noticeably bad when I played

This is pissing me off. How do I kill the fucking boss
on Tau Volantis, just when you reach Carver at some kind of base? I keep shooting off it's tentacles, but they keep regenerating.

Grisby

I don't see whats so bad about it? Idk maybe I'm not as perceptive as you all or maybe I'm not so much a critic but I thought it was handled fairly well. Nothing noticeably bad when I played
Major spoilers peeps. Seriously don't read unless you've beaten the game.

It wasn't soul crushing or anything. It just felt useless to me. Norton is a stereotypical asshole and she just seems along for the ride. Little to no screen time and no more bad ass fending off necro segments. Even her fake death just felt like it was 'there'.

I felt like the pace and story in 2 gelled so well (Ellie dealing with Stross, Issac with Nicole) but 3 just didn't click with me.

There were a few good moments with Issac and most of it has to do with the little animation touches (glancing one last time at a door,etc.) but yeah, didn't feel it on a whole.

on Tau Volantis, just when you reach Carver at some kind of base? I keep shooting off it's tentacles, but they keep regenerating.

Shoot the glowing spots that grow out of its mouth once you've taken out the tentacles. Repeat a couple of times.

Mike M

Nick N
Stand back, he'll tuck away his tentacles and charge you. Side step the charge, stasis him when the tentacles come out, shoot them, repeat.

When the back tentacles are gone, he opens his mouth and reveals another three. Stasis, shoot these tentacles. You have to destroy three sets of three, if you don't get all of them, then you have to go through the whole process again to reveal the ones you missed.

Ricker

Are you talking about the boss you fight in that large area on the ice planet?

Carver will yell out that to use the harpoons. There is a generator on a cliff straight ahead from where you start. It should activate these guiding lasers, lure him into in and when the harpoons are shot, it will grab him, run around and hit the terminal to the left of the lasers.

I am at that fucking Boss again...can someone explain this to me again because its not working..I bring him into the beams and shoot the crap out of him,I see the blood damage but he is just not dying...tried 3 times now,lasts forever and I run out of ammo...I dont see any terminal to shoot at...?...when you say hit ,you mean hit with A or hit with my weapon...?

Mike M

Nick N
I am at that fucking Boss again...can someone explain this to me again because its not working..I bring him into the beams and shoot the crap out of him,I see the blood damage but he is just not dying...tried 3 times now,lasts forever and I run out of ammo...I dont see any terminal to shoot at...?...when you say hit ,you mean hit with A or hit with my weapon...?

The beams are from harpoon cannons, once you lure it in, they'll shoot him. You need to use kinesis on the harpoon crank.

Looking through the art book, I noticed there's a huge missed opportunity for DS3. Tau Volantis
was originally an aquatic world, an entire ocean. We could have had underground water environments! Dammit! But God is the artwork gorgeous.

I hope Next-gen DS4 looks like the concept art. The games look absolutely gorgeous, but this art is so moody and the creature designs are far more moody.

Also Visceral you freaks. You actually played around with the guts of a dead goat? Ewwwwwwwwwwww.

Ricker

The beams are from harpoon cannons, once you lure it in, they'll shoot him. You need to use kinesis on the harpoon crank.

Yes,finally saw those lol...thanks,glad that thing is finally dead jesus...

And I am surprised how long this game is,pretty cool.

Anival

Banned
The game is not as bad as I thought it would be. Its okay so far it still has those old ship parts and what not. I hate/like that every enemy encounter is horde mode. Kind of cool when they come out of nowhere and sneak up on you though.

Darkmakaimura

Looking through the art book, I noticed there's a huge missed opportunity for DS3. Tau Volantis
was originally an aquatic world, an entire ocean. We could have had underground water environments! Dammit! But God is the artwork gorgeous.

I hope Next-gen DS4 looks like the concept art. The games look absolutely gorgeous, but this art is so moody and the creature designs are far more moody.

Also Visceral you freaks. You actually played around with the guts of a dead goat? Ewwwwwwwwwwww.
You're killing me! What sucks is I have $37 of Gamestop credit and was going to see if I could get this book but they don't sell it! Fuuuu!!!!

Not sure if mentioned in art book, but I remember reading that inspiration for the Necromorphs came from photos of real car accident victims.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've encountered a weird bug. I started up a regular New Game+ tonight (after installing 1.02, FWIW), and sometime in Chapter 4, my Progress & Unlocks status got funky. Chapter 4 and onwards now shows that I have never beaten a chapter, nor completed any of the optional missions (of which I'd beaten all 7 SP). Collectible status remains the same, but everything else got wiped. According to the overall stats, I've never beaten the game.

o_O

I just turned on the game (ps3) and had to download a new update. Anyone know what was changed?

I saw that it added trophies for Awakened.

You're killing me! What sucks is I have $37 of Gamestop credit and was going to see if I could get this book but they don't sell it! Fuuuu!!!!

Not sure if mentioned in art book, but I remember reading that inspiration for the Necromorphs came from photos of real car accident victims.
The book reveals that that's a myth. Dun dun sun.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

Yeah, I remember hearing someone talk about that while discussing the intro to DS2 (the face). EDIT: Or NTGYK could just sink that.

The violence in DS is one of the things that draws me to the game, as bad as that may sound. It's just done very well. It's very graphic, but never feels gratuitous or silly to me. I think any other game opening with a guy having his face open up would be a big turn off for me, but the Visceral guys make it work. I also love the violence as punishment. I avoid getting killed by the disembodied heads simply because it's so unpleasant to see Isaac walk around afterwards. Same with the final boss of DS2, or the eye scene. It's disturbing imagery, and adds a bit more weight to dying that isn't present in most games.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I recall Monkey Pants saying in a previous thread that they didn't look at car crash victims but they did get advice from a team member's mom who was an ER nurse that had experience with dealing with victims of such trauma.

Ah. I wasn't lurking GAF that much back then. If they didn't look at much gore, I'm even more impressed with how real some of the violence feels. It's over-the-top, yes. But there's some insane detail in that DS2 intro.

RoKKeR

My friend and I just got done with the Chapter 4 collectibles. There are a lot of really neat locations hidden out in space for you to find and explore. Love that section of the game.

I saw that it added trophies for Awakened.

That was a pleasant surprise. They only appear in-game though. Probably going to get an official announcement within a week.

8 trophies. 4 are secret (obviously story/easter egg based) followed by:

• Pure Lunacy: Complete DS3 Awakened in Pure Survival Mode
  • Just the Tip: Craft a Weapon using a MK-ll Weapon Tip
  • Heavan Can Wait: Stasis your co-op partner when he is downed to slow his bleed out timer
  • Supercharger: Finish charging the reactor in under 90 seconds

Co-op is confirmed for it then. Also, all the above achievements have to be accomplished in the DLC, otherwise they don't count.

I'm guessing it will be 3 chapters, which I believe was the same length as Severed.

haikira

• Pure Lunacy: Complete DS3 Awakened in Pure Survival Mode
    [*]Just the Tip: Craft a Weapon using a MK-ll Weapon Tip
  • Heavan Can Wait: Stasis your co-op partner when he is downed to slow his bleed out timer
  • Supercharger: Finish charging the reactor in under 90 seconds

Sterling Archer approves.

Riddy

If my last checkpoint wasn't near a bench and I have little ammo and medpacks, am I screwed? I'm towards the end of the game and I'm in a section where I get ambushed by a bunch of those
skinny creatures
(they're charred/black too) and I have no idea what to do.

I understand they had to do it for co-op, but I really dislike the auto-save system now. That, and the convoluted upgrade system and shop (which I'm still not sure I understand completely) have really hampered my enjoyment of what is otherwise a really fun game :(

Jarmel

Banned

Yea that could have been insanely cool. Would have justified some of the suit stuff and would have been a great change of pace.

If my last checkpoint wasn't near a bench and I have little ammo and medpacks, am I screwed? I'm towards the end of the game and I'm in a section where I get ambushed by a bunch of those
skinny creatures

I understand they had to do it for co-op, but I really dislike the auto-save system now. That, and the convoluted upgrade system and shop (which I'm still not sure I understand completely) have really hampered my enjoyment of what is otherwise a really fun game :(

• What are your equipped weapons?
  • Is there a chokepoint?
  • How well is your stasis upgraded and do you carry any stasis packs?

RedAssedApe

Banned
save system is retarded. especially considering how its not clearly spelled out that you are losing your progress if you save and quit before an auto-save. had to replay and entire side-mission.

why can't they just let the host decide where the starting checkpoint is going to be like every other co-op game that's ever been released? don't even plan on playing co-op

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
skinny creatures

If you're at the part I think you are I felt pretty screwed there due to having pretty much no medkits and not being able to backtrack to a bench. Just gotta try and persevere!

Is this the inside the beast with the probe gun spot? That isn't really that close to the end game, but fuuuck. If not you may be able to go backwards and find a bench.

Top Bottom