• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Creator Glen Schofield is leaving Striking Distance studio after first game Callisto Protocol flops.

Sleepwalker

Video-game developer Striking Distance Studios, a subsidiary of Korean publisher Krafton Inc., is appointing new management several months after the commercial flop of its first game.

Chief Executive Officer Glen Schofield is leaving, a Krafton representative confirmed Wednesday, saying he has “decided to pursue new opportunities.” Striking Distance’s chief operating officer and chief financial officer are also leaving. Krafton said all three departures were voluntary.

Chief Development Officer Steve Papoutsis will take over as CEO. In a statement, Schofield said his departure was “bittersweet, but I know the studio is in excellent hands.”

skit_data

Sad to see, I really thought Callisto Protocol would be the better game compared to the Dead Space remake.

I haven't bought or played Callisto Protocol yet (will probably pick it up at some point though) but the Dead Space remake was simply stellar IMO and Callisto Protocol wasn't as well recieved.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Sad to see, I really thought Callisto Protocol would be the better game compared to the Dead Space remake.

I haven't bought or played Callisto Protocol yet (will probably pick it up at some point though) but the Dead Space remake was simply stellar IMO and Callisto Protocol wasn't as well recieved.
I haven't played either, but the most hardcore Dead Space fan I know praised The Callisto Protocol over the Dead Space remake endlessly, and I trust him.

A shame as the atmosphere/visuals were great, it just lacked decent pacing and combat imo particularly with guns. It felt monotonous rather than a tense, gripping experience the longer it went on.

I hope the studio learns from this and keeps the presentation side of things as decent as Callisto.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Both this game and the Immortals game were doomed from the beginning due to the creator's ridiculous design mandates. No one wanted to play a magic shooter and no one wants to play a melee game with poor melee combat with one weapon.

their studios do have a lot of talent so maybe this might be good in the long run.

Hugare

Oh man ...

Glen is one of the good ones. Was a huge part of what made Dead Space great and Callisto was his creation from top to bottom.

It was a flawed game, but I loved it. The talent on display in was palpable.

Building a studio + a game of that scope all during COVID must have been hell

Hopefuly we will see more from him

skit_data

I haven't played either, but the most hardcore Dead Space fan I know praised The Callisto Protocol over the Dead Space remake endlessly, and I trust him.
I'll definitely buy it at some point, I've already seen tempting sales and probably would have picked it up already if this year wasn't so stacked with great releases.

bender

What time is it?
Most respectable journalists use words like "underperforms" or "did not meet expectations," this ripe cunt, however...

Flopped might be appropriate depending on the gap between the expectations and results. You could probably add adjectives to "underperform" or "did not meet expectations" to be more tactful.

Last edited:

Hudo

Damn, bought Callisto Protocol day one to support Glenn's vision for a new horror IP as he did such an amazing job with the first Dead Space. Guess it wasn't meant to be...
One thing is for sure though, the graphical fidelity is the best I've ever seen in a horror game so far.
I think if he had the opportunity to iterate, the third game would've been one of the best survival horror games ever made. There was huge potential in Callisto Protocol.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Most respectable journalists use words like "underperforms" or "did not meet expectations," this ripe cunt, however...
I kept on saying "some" people wanted the game to flop due to one of his tweets about developer crunch.
The whole tone towards the game changed literally the day after that tweet.
And they was quick to announce its failure just 3 weeks after release because it sold 2mill instead of 5 mill
No other reports have been shared since
So Callisto flopped?

Damn, this week is full of news.
As I said, it sold 2mill from 2nd Dec to Jan
And that's the only numbers we got, it's definitely sold a lot more than that since then
But they was expecting 5mill at launch which I think is absurd for a new IP.
financially you could say it was a failure from that perspective especially if they wanted to make that money back(day 1) but I wouldn't say it was a flop.
But it did fail to meet the publishers expectations.

Last edited:

Montauk

I'm just a bitch when it comes to horror games. I'm 43 and getting better with it, though!

Well you’ll probably be fine here as by most accounts the game is a total flop in terms of fear factor.

A real failure as a horror game. The disappointment surrounding this game is vast, like an ocean.

Last edited:

skit_data

I'm just a bitch when it comes to horror games. I'm 43 and getting better with it, though!
I'm the same to some extent for sure.
Get this:
My absolute favourite film is the first Alien movie. I've bought Alien Isolation 2 times, both physical and digital with all the DLCs and I love everything about it because its such a fine fucking piece of craftsmanship from Creative Assembly. But the unpredictable AI of the xenomorph simply makes it too fucking scary to sit through, I can't take more than half an hour before I feel its getting exhausting. By pure coincidence I've actually eyed it a bit again in the last two weeks thinking about giving it a real shot again.

Dead Space is a different beast though, I think I might have fucked up my first experience with it back on PS3 because I didn't understand how to reload the plasma cutter so I was melee fighting the necromorphs for a good first hour of the game and after that the game really never felt very scary again once I realized how to reload xD

Zuzu

Honestly, the melee combat was probably the best part of the game, it did not have anywhere close to the kind of refined gunplay Dead Space has.

Ok, looks like it needed a fairly large design change (I haven’t played the game so I don’t know much about it - I probably shouldn’t even be commenting on it lol).

Last edited:
And that's the only numbers we got, it's definitely sold a lot more then that since then
financially you could say it was a failure from that perspective especially if they wanted to make that money back(day 1) but I wouldn't say it was a flop.
Too big expectations. Still it is crazy that it required that many copies to sell in order for studio not go under. But I guess only the creator is leaving so the studio will be still there.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TGO

Killer8

The game was frankly terrible. Amazing production values, but the unforgiving and jank combat which falls apart when you're fighting more than a couple of enemies, and is compounded by some of the most shittily placed checkpoints of all time, just tanked the experience. Even turning on the auto-dodge could not salvage this game. I'm not surprised it flopped (let's not be kind here) after the bad reviews and negative user impressions dropped. They also fucked up the PC port massively with stutter struggle.

wipeout364

I'm the same to some extent for sure.
Get this:
My absolute favourite film is the first Alien movie. I've bought Alien Isolation 2 times, both physical and digital with all the DLCs and I love everything about it because it’s such a fine fucking piece of craftsmanship from Creative Assembly. But the unpredictable AI of the xenomorph simply makes it too fucking scary to sit through, I can't take more than half an hour before I feel it’s getting exhausting. By pure coincidence I've actually eyed it a bit again in the last two weeks thinking about giving it a real shot again.

Alien Isolation is amazing, if you get scared just keep playing you will get to a point where you have died so many times it will stop being scary and then you can just soak in that absolutely amazing Alien fan service. For an Alien fan this game is one of the greatest pieces of media we have received since Aliens.

Alien/Aliens are two of my favorite movies of all time.

skit_data

Alien Isolation is amazing, if you get scared just keep playing you will get to a point where you have died so many times it will stop being scary and then you can just soak in that absolutely amazing Alien fan service. For an Alien fan this game is one of the greatest pieces of media we have received since Aliens.

Yeah, I assume I just gotta approach it more like when approaching one of From Softwares games or something. I've played up to the part when you have to sneak past all those Working Joes but it took me a while because I just walk around admiring all work CA did with, well, everything.

I played AvP99 and AvP2 a lot as a kid and while being solid games they really don't bring the same terror/fascination Isolation does which is something that really hooked me seeing Alien and Aliens as a kid.
Wierd thing is that I actually read Alan Dean Fosters Alien novel based on the script for the film as a 10 year old before even seeing the film. It's a really scary novel because Gigers design hadn't been fully finalized so all the descriptions of the facehugger, xeno, etc. are sort of vague which somehow really captures the horror in a brilliant and clever way.

bender

What time is it?
It was a flawed game, but I loved it. The talent on display in was palpable.

I haven't had a chance to play it yet but from what I've seen, it feels like it is caught between wanting to be its' own thing (more melee focused) and be a lot like Dead Space (dismemberment, stasis power, seamless HUD, etc.). I really want to try it at some point but didn't get it at launch because of the melee focus.

The nail the atmosphere but I kind of thinking the pacing is off, it overstays its' welcome, and the Alien AI can be frustrating at times.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It was a bad game but it had great graphics and some good atmosphere.
It offended me with how bad it was but I still think it was good enough to find some market.
100% not bad enough to sink down the studio

fart town usa

Gold Member
That's a bummer. The guy has great ideas but his stuff doesn't have enough meat. It's just monster closets and the main reason I have yet to play Calisto Protocol.

I hope he lands on his feet or can retire or something.

I think it would have done better if they made it a cover shooter or something not that weird impossible baton swinging. what were they thinking?!

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I enjoyed the game. It wasn't Dead Space, but I enjoyed the game much more when I stopped trying to do melee combat and just focused on using the guns. Shame it flopped.

Last edited:

Puscifer

I'm still shocked it had the budget of TLOU PT 2

I feel sorry for Glenn and the team that the game didn’t work out.
Hopefully he’s still got another good game in him.

When you look at the history and making of Dead Space I started understanding why we have people reign in things. Because when you just let creators have full control more often than not it's a hot mess and you see it in other forms of entertainment as well, rarely can you get a director that can keep their shit in check.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Rock solid production values, horrible mess of game design. Potential was there for a solid sequel - but I doubt we'll see it if head people are exiting because of its failure.

Astral Dog

I kept on saying "some" people wanted the game to flop due to one of his tweets about developer crunch.
The whole tone towards the game changed literally the day after that tweet.
And they was quick to announce its failure just 3 weeks after release because it sold 2mill instead of 5 mill
No other reports have been shared since

And that's the only numbers we got, it's definitely sold a lot more than that since then
Yeah ,2 million full price for a new ip in a month sounds actually pretty good, and should be 3 million + by now

So idk what happened tbh,overbudget? Did they waste money on marketing?maybe because it was a brand new studio? Its pretty strange since CP doesn't look like a AAAA gaming production, visual quality aside

Edit: though the Metacritic appears to be below 'Average' for a game of this type,without prestige that will lower its potential for a singleplayer horror franquise

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Yeah, I assume I just gotta approach it more like when approaching one of From Softwares games or something. I've played up to the part when you have to sneak past all those Working Joes but it took me a while because I just walk around admiring all work CA did with, well, everything.

I played AvP99 and AvP2 a lot as a kid and while being solid games they really don't bring the same terror/fascination Isolation does which is something that really hooked me seeing Alien and Aliens as a kid.
Wierd thing is that I actually read Alan Dean Fosters Alien novel based on the script for the film as a 10 year old before even seeing the film. It's a really scary novel because Gigers design hadn't been fully finalized so all the descriptions of the facehugger, xeno, etc. are sort of vague which somehow really captures the horror in a brilliant and clever way.

If you get far enough you'll realize the Xenomorph really isnt scary at all.

It's the Working Joes that'll really make you shit yourself.

Top Bottom