• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Creator Glen Schofield is leaving Striking Distance studio after first game Callisto Protocol flops.

The hype surrounding the game pre launch didn't help it either. When you're touting it as a AAAA game and it releases with an underwhelming combat system with pretty graphics its going to leave people disappointed.

Roni

Gold Member
In the end, Dead Space had a lot more variety to it.

Callisto Protocol was an attempt at budget AAA gaming and the end product showed: not that many different activities, limited enemy designs, overreliance on a single gameplay loop, hollow backstory and lore, B-tier Hollywood cast to compensate for the above.

If the game had been cheaper, it would've been an acceptable package. Even with its limitations, but they went for that AAA marketing push and the game couldn't support that expectation.

I was hoping a sequel could bring the franchise closer to Dead Space in terms of design, but without the original creator the point is kind of lost now.

Last edited:

simpatico

It felt really gamey for a Dead Space homage. Zombies literally tap you on the shoulder and wait to square up before doing the melee dance loop.

Tomeru

I read this and all I can think of is him bailing on the studio he built after one "failure". I dunno, I don't like this.

Loved CP though. Great game imo.

Schreier isn't a journalist. He's just a narcissist who gets incredibly salty if someone else gets a "scoop" (like the shit that happened at Blizzard) or outright attacks people who call him out on his bullshit and double-standards.
He blocked me on Twitter because I told him that just because someone doesn’t agree with him that doesn’t make them a bad person….

He is a clown

It’s to bad man, passion project doesn’t meet expectations is a huge bummer on anyone mentally. Who backed this game, what was the cost. I’m unfamiliar with all that info?

Blackage

I can only speak on my own experience with this game, but as a fan of Dead Space, when I first saw this game teased I think at one of the Game Awards, I was besides myself with excitement, because I loved Dead Space 1 & 2 and this looked like a spiritual successor to those games, from the original devs no less.

I was very excited about the game right up until I learned melee combat was the primary way you engaged with enemies and my hype deflated.

Then EA announced Dead Space Remake, and I was like wtf, wtf^2 Dead Space Remake actually looks good, like holy shit, what is going on.

Then TCP's reviews came out, and that combat, and everything surrounding it, and I was just like "Well...Dead Space Remake is coming, I'll just wait on that" I ultimately ended up passing on it and Dead Space 2023 ended up being one of my favorite games this year so far.

It's a shame because I think visually TCP had a lot of things going on I found intriguing, but when the most praise I heard about the gameplay/combat was "You get used to it", that wasn't an appealing purchase or use of my time.

Muffdraul

CP was disappointing as hell but I wish Glen the best in his next project. Listening to him in the old Dead Space vidocs right before the first game released gave me the impression he was a bit of a meat head, but later I stumbled across of video about him and his art, he's a painter and he started out in the industry doing box art I think. He's one seriously talented mofo.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
They should have done less hyping and more developing. They should have left it in the oven longer and gotten better feedback about the gameplay? I feel the gameplay really hurt it. I never got through it because I got tired of the gameplay. lol. I think I will finish it soon, however. I started the game on the highest difficulty, so a first, complete playthrough will be more than enough. It has really nice graphics and an interesting story. But it is lacking, still...

GrayChild

The game was nothing more than this gen's The Order: 1886. A glorified tech demo rather than something with actual substance.

Hope Glen lands on his feet soon.

LakeOf9

Never good when someone loses their job, so I hope he gets back on his feet again soon.

But man, Schofield is a bit of an ass and TCP sucked.

Neff

I feel the gameplay really hurt it. I never got through it because I got tired of the gameplay. lol.

I feel like what's there definitely has potential, but it's hampered by a severe lack of balance and variety in enemy/weapon types. Dead Space did a much better job in that regard because its enemies and weapons are extremely varied and synergise particularly well with distinct good/bad match-ups, meaning you're always having to get creative in the heat of the moment. Callisto's guns are too similar to each other, and most of the enemies are optimally killed by using the same combo ender. And if there's a ledge or spikes nearby you don't even think about combat, you just pick them up and throw them for an instant kill. The game is certainly fun but there's not much to it strategically speaking. It just needs more variety and more content. A sequel surely would have delivered both, but it's not likely now I fear.

supernova8

Banned
"leaving".... "voluntary".... "moving onto new opportunities".... "mutually decided to part ways".....

But what we reaaaaaallly meant was:

Vince Mcmahon Wrestling GIF by WWE

I mean it's a visually great game but apparently the gameplay was just boring. Make a good underlying game and THEN make the graphics look pretty!

Last edited:

VinnyMac

It flopped because it looked played and was almost a carbon copy of his own old game. It brought absolutely nothing new to the table and copied everything from his previous works. The dead space remake coming out at the same time didn't help either.

SJRB

Gold Member
The hype surrounding the game pre launch didn't help it either. When you're touting it as a AAAA game and it releases with an underwhelming combat system with pretty graphics its going to leave people disappointed.

Exactly. This game was doomed from the moment they started talking about it as "the first AAAA game" and all that dumb shit. If you're going to talk the talk, you better walk the walk and my god did they stumble and fall.

I hope whoever thought this was a good idea was also kicked out of the company.

nowhat

SJRB

Gold Member
They didn't start it though?

(still agreed, the term is stupid)

The publisher themselves used the phrase "Quad A (AAAA)" in an investor briefing in regards to Callisto Protocol.

Source:

WCCFthecallistoprotocol6-740x405.jpg

Eiknarf

Banned
I’m gonna play Callisto again later next week now. I love it.

Why’s it bad? I constantly read that people didnt like the dodge. Why? Because ya naturally move L3 to the left and right to dodge?

Well, in Ragnarok ya tap X while moving left or right.

In Last of Us ya press L1 to dodge

What’s the problem? Callsito has the most intuitive dodge... the most natural... no question. No contest.

Anyway, I was really hoping there’d be a sequel. Plus I like getting people mad when they read that I like this game.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
In the end, Dead Space had a lot more variety to it.

Callisto Protocol was an attempt at budget AAA gaming and the end product showed: not that many different activities, limited enemy designs, overreliance on a single gameplay loop, hollow backstory and lore, B-tier Hollywood cast to compensate for the above.

If the game had been cheaper, it would've been an acceptable package. Even with its limitations, but they went for that AAA marketing push and the game couldn't support that expectation.

I was hoping a sequel could bring the franchise closer to Dead Space in terms of design, but without the original creator the point is kind of lost now.
It all would have been fine. The simplicity and linearity are not a problem.
Terrible melee combat, constant air ducts crawling and backtracking are… and bad story.
But simplicity alone is great. Dead space is simple, half life 2 is simple, uncharted is simple.

Top Bottom