• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Review Thread

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Thats fine with a game like this. Its a huge game, you would need a full expansion to impact it. Its a £5 upgrade with a ton of QoL changes. What did you expect, a sequel for a fiver?
No, I didn’t expect a sequel, you silly rascal.

I was hoping that the new enemy types, advertised in the marketing, would provide more challenging encounters, because it’s the area of the game that I believe could use the most improvement. Maybe they do, but not to an extent that many reviewers care to mention it.

Let’s not get defensive. It’s a fair expectation, rooted in the marketing for the game. It takes a lot of hyperbole to say effective new enemy types (which were advertised) = sequel.

Edit: btw y’all, Keep an ear open for missing songs. Some people are saying Easy Way Out is no longer playing on way back from Capital Knot, or showing up in their track list, among other songs. Unfortunate if they removed it, so hopefully just a glitch :(

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Allright I'm about 2 hours in. I think I will enjoy this.

utNBllj.png

WoodyStare

The load times for this are insane and a breath of fresh air after sitting through them on PS4. Everything imported perfectly with no issues. Looking forward to jumping back into it again later.

HotPocket69

Banned
Edit: btw y’all, Keep an ear open for missing songs. Some people are saying Easy Way Out is no longer playing on way back from Capital Knot, or showing up in their track list, among other songs. Unfortunate if they removed it, so hopefully just a glitch :(

Really hope this is a glitch or untrue.

Is the Bring Me The Horizon song “Ludens” still on there hopefully?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding is back in a special Director's Cut on PlayStation 5! But is it the definitive version? Find out in our in-depth review that covers the new combat, items, graphical modes, and tons more, including whether it's worth revisiting if you played the original!

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I hope they fix the unlimited saves that you can’t delete if you don’t know the game auto saves almost every minute and never overwrites anything so the save file data keeps growing I’m already at about 800mb

kyliethicc

I hope they fix the unlimited saves that you can’t delete if you don’t know the game auto saves almost every minute and never overwrites anything so the save file data keeps growing I’m already at about 800mb
So I think this can be fixed.

On my PS4, I went into system settings, then save management and it shows every save for DS. It was like 50+ saves, but they all have dates & labels (autosave etc) so I just deleted most of them. (Of course don't delete the one that's like the general save file for overall progress or whatever.)

Doing that shrunk my save file for DS down by a lot.

NeonGhost

So I think this can be fixed.

On my PS4, I went into system settings, then save management and it shows every save for DS. It was like 50+ saves, but they all have dates & labels (autosave etc) so I just deleted most of them. (Of course don't delete the one that's like the general save file for overall progress or whatever.)

Doing that shrunk my save file for DS down by a lot.
You can’t choose each file for the ps5 it’s just one big one

bender

What time is it?
What? You saying I should regret playing this amazing game day 1 two years ago?
It was amazing looking and it was a social experience like no other

I got bored with Death Stranding on PS4 a dozen hours in or so but I don't think it gets enough credit for its' online implementation. It's the most interesting online experience since Dark/Demon Souls.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I hate the conflation of this game with so-called "walking simulators" because in most cases DS is the precise opposite sort of experience.

Most of the game's mechanics relate to traversal, its not just a matter of pushing a camera around.

Driving/flight simulators are not the same as on-rails vehicle sequences in games where its physically impossible to crash! Obviously! Just because the fiction has you doing more or less the same activity it doesn't imply it feels or plays or means the same.

Kerotan

I hate the conflation of this game with so-called "walking simulators" because in most cases DS is the precise opposite sort of experience.

Most of the game's mechanics relate to traversal, its not just a matter of pushing a camera around.

Driving/flight simulators are not the same as on-rails vehicle sequences in games where its physically impossible to crash! Obviously! Just because the fiction has you doing more or less the same activity it doesn't imply it feels or plays or means the same.
Well a lot of the people hating on Death stranding were jizzing all over flight simulator. Haters gonna hate.

If you called DS delivery man simulator instead of walking it would be more accurate.

CitizenZ

Banned
What? You saying I should regret playing this amazing game day 1 two years ago?
It was amazing looking and it was a social experience like no other

But it has been improved with more content, so you have to play it again to get the complete version, but you do you. Im not telling anyone anything other than facts.

The Shepard

I saved it to a USB stick on my ps4 (never uploaded to cloud saves for some unknown reason, I have ps plus) and when it's plugged into ps5 you can upload individual saves or delete them from USB stick and upload what you need, I just done this 5 mins ago getting rid of all but 2 saves.

You just click on the picture with what looks like a pen and 3 lines to the right of the game on the usb drive menu.

Does anyone know how to get to the new missions quick?

I finally managed to get the save working. You have to install ps4 version and only then you can export it into cloud for ps5... Who knew the day will come when console gaming will become more cumbersome then PC gaming.

skit_data

Whats going on with everybody congratulating Kojima? All PS 1st party studios and now Remedy? Is it all because of his legendary status?

9ScXqMZ.gif

Shmunter

A couple of reviews have pointed out the new gear takes some of the challenge out of the game. One even implying to not use the new gadgets too soon as it can be detrimental to it all. Dam, wish there was a “classic” mode.

What if I told you I barely walked in the game? People who called it a walking simulator just watched the trailers.
The game has a ton of vehicles. You're actually basically required to use a truck.

Reactions: GHG

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well a lot of the people hating on Death stranding were jizzing all over flight simulator. Haters gonna hate.

If you called DS delivery man simulator instead of walking it would be more accurate.

Its the lazy use of terminology by reviewers that irritates me, plain and simple.

Individual online folks can say whatever they want, describe stuff however they like because its just chatter. But if someone is sat in the reviewer's "pulpit", I believe we should demand better of them.

Kinda tired of just putting up with lazy critics and criticism.

vpance

A couple of reviews have pointed out the new gear takes some of the challenge out of the game. One even implying to not use the new gadgets too soon as it can be detrimental to it all. Dam, wish there was a “classic” mode.

It never really was a challenge game but I guess you could always put it on a harder difficulty. I can see the new stuff reducing the grind though.

NeonGhost

I saved it to a USB stick on my ps4 (never uploaded to cloud saves for some unknown reason, I have ps plus) and when it's plugged into ps5 you can upload individual saves or delete them from USB stick and upload what you need, I just done this 5 mins ago getting rid of all but 2 saves.

You just click on the picture with what looks like a pen and 3 lines to the right of the game on the usb drive menu.
Those are ps4 game files I’m talking about ps5 save files and you can’t do that

Freeman76

Loving this even more second time around. I just reached port knot city and havent unlocked any new gadgets, have i missed something? Because ive played it before i might be rushing a little but i dont think ive missed anything. Dont want anyone to tell me where you get stuff though, just wondwering

TonyK

I tested and I'm incredibly impressed with the ultra wide quality mode. After a while playing in ultrawide (seeing the sides of the image), returning to the usual 16:9 cropped image feels claustrophobic.

I wish more games would add this option.

HotPocket69

Banned
I haven’t been able to pull myself away from this after starting it up from scratch yesterday. Despite being my 2019 GOTY I never finished it. I didn’t even get halfway. I was balls deep in Kena and now that’s gonna unfortunately be put on hold.

I forgot how downright hypnotic this game is once you get into the swing of things. The constant affirmations after deliveries along with the upgrades is a disgustingly good dopamine drip.

And putting it in widescreen performance mode makes it basically the best looking game I’ve ever fucking seen. It looks damn near photorealistic at times. See ya later RDR2.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
The musical cues in this game as so fucking glorious. Especially in 60fps 4k and ultra wide. No better game for music interludes, other than maybe Red Dead Redemption. My favourite part of the whole game, I think. When the camera pulls back and you get a real sense of Sam’s isolation against the backdrop.

Yeah while the licensed music is good, I love the ambient tracks. Ludvig Forssell fucking rules. Loved his work on MGSV too.

kyliethicc

The musical cues in this game as so fucking glorious. Especially in 60fps 4k and ultra wide. No better game for music interludes, other than maybe Red Dead Redemption. My favourite part of the whole game, I think. When the camera pulls back and you get a real sense of Sam’s isolation against the backdrop.
Love that moment early on heading west in the eastern region to port knot city. Its the first major trip through BTs, then you get through and you're up on that cliff overlooking the city and Asylums for the Feeling plays as you walk down the long slope towards your destination.

Such a magic moment, one that I'll never forget.

HotPocket69

Banned
Love that moment early on heading west in the eastern region to port knot city. Its the first major trip through BTs, then you get through and you're up on that cliff overlooking the city and Asylums for the Feeling plays as you walk down the long slope towards your destination.

That’s my current main mission but Ive been too busy five starring everyone 🤓

Perrott

Gold Member

🍰 thicc

Kerotan

Its the lazy use of terminology by reviewers that irritates me, plain and simple.

Individual online folks can say whatever they want, describe stuff however they like because its just chatter. But if someone is sat in the reviewer's "pulpit", I believe we should demand better of them.

Kinda tired of just putting up with lazy critics and criticism.
Yeah I get it. We're just regular Joe's on a forum chatting and talking shit for fun but they're paid professionals.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Yeah, that and the start are two of the most memorable. Kojima has some flaws to his work, but by Christ, he knows how to put together an effective set piece of mood, tone and aesthetic.

Still stupendously gutted he won’t be applying that skill to Silent Hill (probably).

Top Bottom