• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Has Surpassed 16 Million Players

E_kOkNeWUAAknou

That numbers include sales across PS5, PS4, and PC, as well as players gained through PlayStation Plus and PC Game Pass.
Connecting with over *16 million Porters across PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and PC, DEATH STRANDING is an award-winning videogame that has captivated players from all over the globe. DEATH STRANDING originally launched on 8th November, 2019 on PlayStation®4 and features an A-List cast including Norman Reedus, Mads Mikkelsen, Léa Seydoux, Guillermo del Toro, and Margaret Qualley.
Source: https://www.kojimaproductions.jp/en/A24-announcement

Mortisfacio

Looks like 43% roughly finished the game (based on trophy %). Seems about right. Great world and presentation, but incredibly boring and I personally couldn't force myself to finish it. I even play boring walking/crafting games like Satisfactory, but this game just didn't click with me and about 20 hours in I put it down and uninstalled.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Ive been considering going back for a replay since I now know the exact spot to break away from the crack-like delivery addiction and streamline the rest of the story.

Flabagast

Ive been considering going back for a replay since I now know the exact spot to break away from the crack-like delivery addiction and streamline the rest of the story.
Yep, I would also want to do a replay for the story but I do not want to spend another 70h doing deliveries and maxing everything (although I really liked it back in the day).

Do you have some advices ?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Yep, I would also want to do a replay for the story but I do not want to spend another 70h doing deliveries and maxing everything (although I really liked it back in the day).

Do you have some advices ?

Well I always beeline the story as soon as I finish Heartman, and by that point I already have all of the weapons, supplies, vehicles etc that I need (after 50 hours of deliveries of course lol)

I find it near impossible to skip all of that delivery time. Like thats the game lol Its just too fun and sucks me in too quick

I tried it out and it didn't seem to bad for an intro. I think I might go back and try it some more. Just not sure how much I can enjoy the delivery stuff.

Downloaded free on epic game store. I got as far as the president jumping out of bed and Norman reedis being a jerk to her for me to label this game as not for me. My controller shut down and I deleted it.
Im just not a fan of death stranding.

winjer

Gold Member
It was given for free on Epic Store, not to mention on Game Pass and PS Plus

Its a cool game tho, I'm excited for the sequel.

But "experienced" ≠ bought

And Humble Bundle.

So everyone who was even curious about it, had a chance to play it, even if for just a few minutes.
Those 16 million are very inflated numbers.
Imagine if a company were to brag about a lot of people playing a demo disc, back in the day.

Puscifer

Looks like 43% roughly finished the game (based on trophy %). Seems about right. Great world and presentation, but incredibly boring and I personally couldn't force myself to finish it. I even play boring walking/crafting games like Satisfactory, but this game just didn't click with me and about 20 hours in I put it down and uninstalled.
When the average % of players who finish games is 20% that's a great number

MarkMe2525

Wait... are we talking about engagement numbers here? I thought those were reserved for Xbox centric titles.

On topic: While I eventually fell off this game, I enjoyed my roughly 30 hours with it. I can easily see what made it special. Great atmosphere, neat mechanics, looks great.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It was given for free on Epic Store, not to mention on Game Pass and PS Plus

Its a cool game tho, I'm excited for the sequel.

But "experienced" ≠ bought
Yeah, these player count metrics are stupid as always - especially in a world where gaming subscriptions and free giveaways are a thing.

MiguelItUp

Say what you will, I think it's beyond impressive that Kojima went on a limb to make the game he truly wanted to make. Even if it wasn't for everyone. Sure, it borrowed some things from other games, but it was also pretty damn unique in a variety of ways. These days you don't see many AAA/high budget games making something unique and different as it's typically a gigantic risk.

It's a very divisive game, and understandably so. But I think it's worthy of attention for the reasons above, alone.

That being said, personally, I loved it. It was different, strange, and risky. Not to mention it coming out around peak COVID/quarantine time almost made the game hit harder. I look forward to seeing what happens with the sequel.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I think 43% is excellent for a single-player game with this much content. Hogwarts Legacy had roughly 26% on Steam.

Mortisfacio

I think 43% is excellent for a single-player game with this much content. Hogwarts Legacy had roughly 26% on Steam.

Comparing two different platforms, though. Steam users on average complete games less often than PlayStation players (I've always just taken this to be because of the absurd amount of games to go through on PC vs consoles + Steam/Humble Bundle/GMG/etc bundle a lot of stuff). Playstation trophy count has Hogwarts at 51%. Steam Death Stranding is 30%

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Comparing two different platforms, though. Steam users on average complete games less often than PlayStation players (I've always just taken this to be because of the absurd amount of games to go through on PC vs consoles + Steam/Humble Bundle/GMG/etc bundle a lot of stuff). Playstation trophy count has Hogwarts at 51%. Steam Death Stranding is 30%
So, it sounds like you're saying the completion average when you include PC and console is about the same as Hogwarts Legacy, and is actually higher than Hogwarts Legacy on PC.

Mortisfacio

So, it sounds like you're saying the completion average when you include PC and console is about the same as Hogwarts Legacy, and is actually higher than Hogwarts Legacy on PC.

Hogwarts and Death Stranding story completion on Steam are both at 30.7%

Death Stranding also sold less and was released on PC in summer of 2020 when everyone was at home due to COVID lockdowns. 3 1/2 years to complete vs a game that released earlier in 2023 in a stacked year. The connection you're trying to draw is incredibly dishonest.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Hogwarts and Death Stranding story completion on Steam are both at 30.7%

Death Stranding also sold less and was released on PC in summer of 2020 when everyone was at home due to COVID lockdowns. 3 1/2 years to complete vs a game that released earlier in 2023 in a stacked year. The connection you're trying to draw is incredibly dishonest.
lol, now you're bringing COVID into it? Sure thing, man. A 43% completion rate for a single-player game is incredibly underwhelming, unless it's for any game other than Death Stranding.

Mortisfacio

lol, now you're bringing COVID into it? Sure thing, man. A 43% completion rate for a single-player game is incredibly underwhelming, unless it's for any game other than Death Stranding.

On PlayStation, Hogwarts is 51% completion. Death Stranding is 43%. COVID lockdowns with time to kill and 4+ years to finish (edited for console release) vs a release this year. If you can't see the difference there, there's no point discussing further. You're doing mental gymnastics.

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
On PlayStation, Hogwarts is 51% completion. Death Stranding is 43%. COVID lockdowns with time to kill and 4+ years to finish (edited for console release) vs a release this year. If you can't see the difference there, there's no point discussing further. You're doing mental gymnastics.
lol, I'm doing mental gymnastics? You're the one trying to say stats don't matter because of COVID. Moving the goalposts much?

Reactions: Dis

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

43% is GREAT number considering it was on PlayStation Plus. And it's a game that lasts 40 to 80 hours.

Mortisfacio

lol, I'm doing mental gymnastics? You're the one trying to say stats don't matter because of COVID. Moving the goalposts much?

Ok, bud. You can't see the difference between 4 years to complete and a game that came out this year. Elementary concept of time you seemingly can't comprehend.

Love Death Stranding! Platinumed it twice.

Second play through I did entirely on the 21:9 ultra wide-screen mode on PS5. And it looked like nothing else I have played.

It's not the story or the cinematics that are the draw for me in this game. It is the sense of exploration and adventure. Discovering new things for the first time. Also building an incredible network of zip lines!

Bring on DS2!

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Best fedex simulator i ever played.
So DS2 would be international shipping simulator? Order something from Amazon UK and wait for months for them to not ship your product, and eventually you beg them to refund. Try simulating that pain Kojima.

Last edited:
Top Bottom