• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"DEATHLOOP" |OT| Down the rabbit hole, everyone's a winner

envyzeal

By definition Arkanes games aren't FPS's, they shouldn't be seen as such and I'd imagine that people who play them as if they are pure FPS games will have a bad time. For done reason they like to market them as if they are which is really silly IMO but I guess they are going for something relatable for most people there.

At the very least you should play Prey.
Worse part is with high movement first person cameras, I tend to get a little motion sickness, so I just avoid most games that play that way. Same happened with VR :(

Banned
so I played my first mission so to speak, and in concept I really like the game... but sadly, the typical shit with console versions of shooters -_-

-no FOV slider
-a ridiculously narrow FOV
-Aim acceleration (really badly programmed as well)
-really shitty analog aiming in general (details see below)
-absolutely ZERO options to remap buttons

Issues with the aiming:
First of all, really bad acceleration that is really slow and can't be deactivated.
The inner deadzone is really small, but the sensitivity curve is ridiculous, the speed of your camera has massive jumps in speed, while the outer deadzone is ridiculously big it feels...

here is how the curve feels to me and what most games with good shooter controls use as a comparison

D8INumr.png

again, zero options to change either of this (deadzone, curve, acceleration)
the only option you have is aim smoothing, which basically is additional acceleration of fast stick movement

WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR DEVELOPERS TO MAKE GOOD CONTROLLER AIMING?
meanwhile Splitgate, a game made by a tiny studio has basically perfect stick aiming... first try... so there is literally no excuse, this is just incompetence at display here.

now I'm kinda annoyed that I got it on PS5 tbh... my PC isn't the best anymore so I figured it's better getting the PS5 version... big mistake

EDIT: OH i totally forgot mentioning the worst about the stick aiming!
Lets say you turn full speed to the right ok? now you move the stick slightly diagonally down
m0SHw0U.png

if you do that, you camera speed will just drop in speed dramatically... it's the fucking weirdest thing... and it feels like absolute ass!
how can you fuck up controller aiming this hard?

so should you have the choice between console and PC, get the PC version

Last edited:

Reave

so I played my first mission so to speak, and in concept I really like the game... but sadly, the typical shit with console versions of shooters -_-

-no FOV slider

Issues with the aiming:
First of all, really bad acceleration that is really slow and can't be deactivated.
The inner deadzone is really small, but the sensitivity curve is ridiculous, the speed of your camera has massive jumps in speed, while the outer deadzone is ridiculously big it feels...

here is how the curve feels to me and what most games with good shooter controls use as a comparison

D8INumr.png

the only option you have is aim smoothing, which basically is additional acceleration of fast stick movement

meanwhile Splitgate, a game made by a tiny studio has basically perfect stick aiming... first try... so there is literally no excuse, this is just incompetence at display here.

now I'm kinda annoyed that I got it on PS5 tbh... my PC isn't the best anymore so I figured it's better getting the PS5 version... big mistake

Lets say you turn full speed to the right ok? now you move the stick slightly diagonally down
m0SHw0U.png

if you do that, you camera speed will just drop in speed dramatically... it's the fucking weirdest thing... and it feels like absolute ass!

They’ve had these problems for years, so it’s inexcusable that they haven’t improved it after all this time.

Banned
They’ve had these problems for years, so it’s inexcusable that they haven’t improved it after all this time.

yeah, I remember Prey having not the best aiming either on Xbox, but it was not this bad, this is actually way worse than the controller aiming in Prey.
Prey had a really bad deadzone, but the sensitivity curve and acceleration was not nearly as bad

it has been some time since I played any of the Dishonored games on controller (recently started playing the second one on PC since I stopped on Console due to the awful port it was back on last gen systems) so I can't really comment on these atm.

Last edited:

IgnotumCL

The game is fantastic and runs over 130fps at 1440p with my 3080
Even with that card I was worried because early I read a lot of shit about performance
First mission complete and now is time to rest for continue later.

Here my video

SJRB

Gold Member

-no FOV slider

Issues with the aiming:

D8INumr.png

m0SHw0U.png

Dishonored 2 also had big problems with stick sensitivity, it's unfortunate they still have them in Deathloop.

DonJorginho

Banned
Dishonored 2 also had big problems with stick sensitivity, it's unfortunate they still have them in Deathloop.
On PS5 move x&y sensitivity to 45-50 depending on preference. Then move ads to 45. It ain't perfect but it's better than default.

DonJorginho

Banned
Regarding stick input on PS5, saw this on Era, could be useful but I haven't tried it yet.

I also recommend turning on "filtered" mode for stick input. Using "direct" is really weird and noisy. If you slowly move the stick and hold it at various deflections the velocity shifts back and forth between two rates.

I'm not even sure why there is a "direct" mode.

tommib

Didn’t have time yet, guys. Should’ve taken the day off for this. Will come back with initial thoughts hopefully tomorrow. 🙏 It’s all locked and loaded on my PS5 dashboard.

GymWolf

I'm gonna get my copy today after work but in the meantime i watched cohh playing some minute of the game and colt VA sound stellar, not the writing itself, just the actor giving all himself for the role.

When you reach the microphone where you have to say a password, try saying the password multiple times without knowing it, a lot of details in this world...

sendit

This games graphics are some grade A dog shit. Honestly not sure why this is next gen only on consoles. Gameplay loop is pretty addicting.

1eRF5ve.jpg

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Apparently most of the Dualsense features are supported when using the controller on PC. Good for those who are going that route.

Seems weird to implement that on pc. I don't recall knowing anyone who would prefer inferior controller options whne you have so much better alternatives.

But yeah, I guess it's great for that one person who's gonna use it.

DonJorginho

Banned
more user stories from Era about camera controls on PS5

Just started playing and i'm already really struggling with the controls. Feel like I have to bring this up because if anyone had issues with previous Arkane games you might have the same problems here. It's better than something like Prey for sure but no matter what sensitivity I put the controller to, it feels off. Y and X axis feels fucked to me.

EDIT: changed the camera settings to filtered instead of direct and seemed to help. No idea what that option does though.

Played for 4 hours straight, still barely scratched the surface, taking my sweet time and savouring it as the devs surely intended, loving everything about it so far.

Intriguing narrative, layered world, looks gorgeous, runs perfectly, unique looping mechanic is truly something fresh, freedom of approach in both combat and traversal, exploration that pays off with tons of secrets/storytelling elements, protagonist is entertaining af.

Arkane took the foundation established in the Dishonored series + stranger aspects of Prey and created something powerfully original, can't wait to see where things go the further I get along.

tommib

First impressions during lunch break:

Game is super funny. Colt has stellar voice acting and the game has excellent writing. It stands out from the usual generic psycho babble.

Atmospheric soundtrack and great 60s architecture. Anyone into space age design will love this.

Runs like butter on performance mode and looks great.

Game wastes no time and has barely any cutscenes. It puts you straight into the world for you to play. I love that. Feels very arcadey which in a way is what these roguelites go for: the sense of the arcade with minimal waste.

Can’t wait to fall into the rabbit hole.

Last edited:
First impressions during lunch break:

Game is super funny. Colt has stellar voice acting and the game has excellent writing. It stands out from the usual generic psycho babble.
Atmospheric soundtrack and great 60s architecture. Anyone into space age design will love this.
Runs like butter on performance mode and looks great.

Can’t wait to fall into the rabbit hole.
Colt is hilarious 😆👍

JumpMan1981

Banned
First impressions here are good.

Glad to have a game that is offering something a bit more unique and different.

PS5 now has a pretty solid roster of exclusives. Demon's Souls, Returnal, Ratchet and Clank and now Deathloop (I know it's on PC too). You could even add Astro-Bot in there if you wanted.

Hugare

Played 2 hours or so yesterday

Game is good, but not "10/10" good right now. Plays almost exactly like Dishonored. Looks like a reskin, honestly.

The story is very intriguing and the characters are awesome. Colt's voice acting is just perfection.

Level design was very basic so far. "You can go by the front door, or go through the rocks to find the stealth aproach"

But I'm eager to play more today

VN1X

Banned
This games graphics are some grade A dog shit. Honestly not sure why this is next gen only on consoles. Gameplay loop is pretty addicting.

1eRF5ve.jpg
Wat.

This game's art style alone carries it and it has some really fantastic lighting in places.

So, what performance mode is recommended on PS5? Is the game ok at 30 fps and RT on?
I'm playing RT mode and it plays just as fine. Of course, image clarity takes a hit but the trade-off is worth it ( for me). The lighting is much better in RT mode. Watch a comparison video on YouTube and you know exactly what I mean. But that's my personal opinion and I am a graphics whore.

thatJohann

I just played for about 30 min. I gotta say it's already engaging. And it looks GORGEOUS on PS5. I'm using performance mode and it's silky smooth with fast load times. Feels like a native PS5 game. Oh and the dual sense implementation is probably the best after Astro. You can feel the walking, running, and love when Julianna comes in thru the Dual Sense speaker like a walkie talkie. It feels very next-gen! Color me surprised. Can't wait to dive in later.

Paasei

Can't wait to give it a go later today. Arkane is one of my favorite studios for their implementation of creative gameplay.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Seems weird to implement that on pc. I don't recall knowing anyone who would prefer inferior controller options whne you have so much better alternatives.

But yeah, I guess it's great for that one person who's gonna use it.
Charlie Day Reaction GIF

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Glad I jumped to buy it at $53.99 with PS+

This game looks like my jam! :messenger_musical:

What's that? Here in Sweden it's full price. Well, it's slightly cheaper than new Sony releases, "only" around 740 SEK = $86 (new 1st party games are 850 SEK = $99 on the PS Store here), but there's no PS+ discount that I can see. Was that a pre-order thing, or a US only thing?

Last edited:

balt1kr1s

-no FOV slider

Issues with the aiming:

D8INumr.png

m0SHw0U.png

Good you mention that, I had two moments when I was fighting another player and died because of this shit.
For a while I thought I was just bad, but it seems I'm not the only who can feel it.
Got used to it tbf, but you are right, its really a shame for this issue to even exist.

Last edited:

sainraja

SJRB

Gold Member
Holy shit that FOV on PS5 is wild.

How console games don't have a slider in 2021 is beyond me. Come on Arkane, do me a solid.

elliot5

Does this game take place in the Dishonored universe? Do you get to choose/make your character?
Haven't seen anything that indicates it takes place in the Dishonored universe. And no, you do not. You can change character skins though (I think they are unlocked via the invasion aspect?), but it's still Colt and Julianna.

Played two hours last night. It's interesting so far and looks great BUT the AI is disappointingly dumb. I've been playing Dishonored 2 on Hard for the past few days, and in that game you have to account for the AI having a more realistic field of vision (they can see something in their periphery) as well as much higher awareness in general (the vision bar fills up faster, they can hear takedowns if they're too close, etc.). I understand that the intention is for the regular enemies to be little more than fodder because of repeated runs/loops, but it's still kinda disappointing in that regard.

Also the PC version does indeed have stuttering issues. I'll try playing around with the settings when I play again later but I hope Arkane patches it quickly.

GymWolf

Small advice for people on ps5, if you have the controller speaker disabled you need to disable the audio from the speakers in the ingame options too or you are not gonna hear juliana talking When she calls you.

I saw a lot of people having this problem.

Top Bottom