• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"DEATHLOOP" |OT| Down the rabbit hole, everyone's a winner

Karak

I forgot what it is called but it collecting this stuff allows you to keep skills/weapons across multiple runs. I think Karak Karak mentioned in his review that it isn't unlocked until you progress in the game a bit.
Infusing its what its called ya

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Apparently most of the Dualsense features are supported when using the controller on PC. Good for those who are going that route.

Holy brilliant thats awesome, I didnt think that would happen on PC this early in the gen. I wonder if it all works when you emulate the DualSense as a DS4.v1 with DS4Windows or I need to shut that off entirely and use the native input. Hopefully the former but the latter isn't the end of the world, just a bit more effort to set up an auto profile.

I think I will wait for the perf/DRM issues to be fixed on PC and get it there instead of PS5 given the problems with the two (2) out of the three (3) graphics output modes there. I was looking forward to the DS usage so thats great to have on PC.

Luipadre

Coming here to say that the soundtrack alone deserves a 10

Ambient soundtrack is nice, but the original stuff with singers, oh lord

Pitch Black, Déja Vu, Down the Rabbit Hole

They are all bangers

Are they even in the game? Im 5 hours in and only heard the ambient soundtrack

Kuranghi

so I played my first mission so to speak, and in concept I really like the game... but sadly, the typical shit with console versions of shooters -_-

-no FOV slider
-a ridiculously narrow FOV
-Aim acceleration (really badly programmed as well)
-really shitty analog aiming in general (details see below)
-absolutely ZERO options to remap buttons

Issues with the aiming:
First of all, really bad acceleration that is really slow and can't be deactivated.
The inner deadzone is really small, but the sensitivity curve is ridiculous, the speed of your camera has massive jumps in speed, while the outer deadzone is ridiculously big it feels...

here is how the curve feels to me and what most games with good shooter controls use as a comparison

D8INumr.png

again, zero options to change either of this (deadzone, curve, acceleration)
the only option you have is aim smoothing, which basically is additional acceleration of fast stick movement

WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR DEVELOPERS TO MAKE GOOD CONTROLLER AIMING?
meanwhile Splitgate, a game made by a tiny studio has basically perfect stick aiming... first try... so there is literally no excuse, this is just incompetence at display here.

now I'm kinda annoyed that I got it on PS5 tbh... my PC isn't the best anymore so I figured it's better getting the PS5 version... big mistake

EDIT: OH i totally forgot mentioning the worst about the stick aiming!
Lets say you turn full speed to the right ok? now you move the stick slightly diagonally down
m0SHw0U.png

if you do that, you camera speed will just drop in speed dramatically... it's the fucking weirdest thing... and it feels like absolute ass!
how can you fuck up controller aiming this hard?

so should you have the choice between console and PC, get the PC version

Man this aiming acceleration you describe fucking sucks, I've noticed it in a lot of games recently, sometimes it fits with the game and I get used to it but for the most part its just shite.

I'm definitely waiting a bit on this one.

G-Bus

Banned
Did not realise this is out today.

Other than seeing it at a lot of Sony events and seeing the odd trailer, I know very little about this. Have no experience with any of their other games.

Vaguely have an idea of what's going on.

Hmm.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Did not realise this is out today.

Other than seeing it at a lot of Sony events and seeing the odd trailer, I know very little about this. Have no experience with any of their other games.

Vaguely have an idea of what's going on.

Hmm.
Just buy it. Join us.

Paasei

The game is fantastic and runs over 130fps at 1440p with my 3080
Even with that card I was worried because early I read a lot of shit about performance
First mission complete and now is time to rest for continue later.

Here my video

So performance is good, then? Very good to know. Waiting for some analysis before I get it, but man I'm stoked for this game.

Really enjoying the game although have had some weird loading style hitching where I thought the game had crashed until I must have passed a loading point and it was fine. AI is really poor too but they try to explain it away in the narrative.

Does everyone get the same gun after the tutorial? I got a silenced SMG and it seems kinda OP for stealth lol. Way better than the nailgun, surprisingly

Last edited:

Hugare

How the fuck does a game without manual saves or checkpoints get a 10/10?

What the fuck is this? My game crashed and I had to restart the entire segment.

paulie-gualtieri-pauly.gif
Ah, havent played Returnal, I see

Each section is so short, tho

15-20 minutes (from my experience so far)

dano1

A Sheep
so I played my first mission so to speak, and in concept I really like the game... but sadly, the typical shit with console versions of shooters -_-

-no FOV slider
-a ridiculously narrow FOV
-Aim acceleration (really badly programmed as well)
-really shitty analog aiming in general (details see below)
-absolutely ZERO options to remap buttons

Issues with the aiming:
First of all, really bad acceleration that is really slow and can't be deactivated.
The inner deadzone is really small, but the sensitivity curve is ridiculous, the speed of your camera has massive jumps in speed, while the outer deadzone is ridiculously big it feels...

here is how the curve feels to me and what most games with good shooter controls use as a comparison

D8INumr.png

again, zero options to change either of this (deadzone, curve, acceleration)
the only option you have is aim smoothing, which basically is additional acceleration of fast stick movement

WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR DEVELOPERS TO MAKE GOOD CONTROLLER AIMING?
meanwhile Splitgate, a game made by a tiny studio has basically perfect stick aiming... first try... so there is literally no excuse, this is just incompetence at display here.

now I'm kinda annoyed that I got it on PS5 tbh... my PC isn't the best anymore so I figured it's better getting the PS5 version... big mistake

EDIT: OH i totally forgot mentioning the worst about the stick aiming!
Lets say you turn full speed to the right ok? now you move the stick slightly diagonally down
m0SHw0U.png

if you do that, you camera speed will just drop in speed dramatically... it's the fucking weirdest thing... and it feels like absolute ass!
how can you fuck up controller aiming this hard?

so should you have the choice between console and PC, get the PC version
Is the PC version any better? Have you played it ?

Filldo

Just buy it. Join us.
Personally the dishonored series is one of my all time favorites. So many ways to play the missions from no kill to guns blazing. Fun powers. Prey is also fantastic, I saw someone here mention this was $53 on PSN and decided to buy it. Unfortunately we had friends over for game night and I drank too much and passed out during the intro! So I can’t wait to dive in this evening cause Arcane makes my favorite games.
Oh and I think I replied to the wrong person but I’m too lazy to fix it 😂

Banned
Is the PC version any better? Have you played it ?

well no I haven't played it, but given that PC has mouse support, that alone is a gigantic upgrade (if they didn't somehow botch the mouse input... which can happen) and I just assume that PC has an FOV slider...
and these 2 things are by far the worst things on PS5

apparently even Kojima now said he can't play it due to motion sickness, a low FOV is the biggest contributor to motion sickness

Last edited:

ManaByte

Just unlocked Infusion.
Star Trek Yes GIF

Was getting a little annoyed at the game until I defeated that boss to unlock it. Had fun doing that though.

Reactions: Isa

THEAP99

Banned
Dude, you couldn't have picked a worse example lol. It's the first enemy you encounter, designed to teach the player (even lil' Jimmy, avid Fortnite and Minecraft gamer, first time playing an Arkane title) about stealth take downs. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
well, I've had the same issues elsewhere in the game so I don't think that excuse holds

Did my first invade and it was exhilarating! Was hittin the guy hard on a sneak attack and decided to give him a break and held a far off watch point and gave him time. Awhile goes by I think he got scared but actually snuck around a way I never knew and almost beat me!

The AI is so brain dead in this game, that it kills any enjoyment for me. The developers compensated the brain dead AI by giving them a lot of damage dealing. But you can exploit that by going out range.

There's also a submachine gun that has a silencer, which allows me to pretty much just slaughter everything.

The story , lore , and characters / dialogue is toptier. But the stealth and AI is so bad this game shouldn't be getting 9/10 or 10/10. 7/10 or at best a weak 8/10 and that's with good measure.

Banned
People complaining about the AI have missed the mark on what makes this game compelling in the first place.

not really, if you can shoot in the air, draw every enemy towards you and just stand around the corner and kill one after the other... that's not optimal in the kind of game this is.

Ogbert

I’m really enjoying it.

It’s very easy, but that’s kinda the point. It’s a power fantasy.

Really like how Residium works. Returnal - take note.

TheMan

Interesting Karak broke from the crowd and gave it a more tepid review. For a second there I was gung ho about this, but since the fam is on the TV and i'm stuck writing reports (supposed to be, anyway), I've had time to slow down and reconsider.

I think Dishonored 1 and the DLC's still peak Arkane for me - but overall this game is a solid 9. It's so well designed, despite some technical issues, the hyperbole in this board is quite baffling... games this good don't come along often. There will be patches.
Dishonoured 1 and DLG like Brigmore Witches is peak Arkane for me too.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Only a few hours in and invading/getting invaded by friends. This game is super fun. I can see myself playing it for a long time with invasions.

Music and voice acting is top notch.

Top Bottom